Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428711 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1240 on: November 11, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »

U can't take away his contributions regardless of how many years pass.

No one is taking anything away from what he did while he was in Guns. He helped create some AMAZING shit back then. What he has done since then has been no where near the same level, especially this new song and the abomination that is the PC cover. Say what you want about it being "his" to do what he wants with, but when he does what he did to the song don't be surprised when fans think it sucks and say he never should have done it in the first place.

Yeah but is that really fair? I mean shit, he helped create three of the greatest rock albums of all time.......... If he never picks up another guitar, he has already accomplished more than 99 percent of guitar players.

so I think its unfair to judge him based on that. NO matter how bad u think his post GNR stuff sucks, he still is all over 3 of the best albums of all time... I think most musicians/guitar players would be more than happy with that. How many guitar players in the world have been as successful as he has? can u name more than 5 or 6?

Not a bad career.

Im not telling anyone they should like his cover or agree with him doing it. Hell, I don't like it, i just think people are going a bit overboard with the outrage over it.

It doesn't matter that he has helped create great albums in the past. You have to separate what he did then and what he is doing now. I will always love those old guns songs that he helped create/played on, but it doesn't mean I can't have a negative opinion about what he is doing now. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1241 on: November 11, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »

You have to separate what he did then and what he is doing now.

What he has done since then has been no where near the same level

By that metric Slash/Izzy/Duff/Axl/Adler are all bums because none of them has made much of anything since the Illusions that has people doing cartwheels. Seems a little unrealistic to have that be your standard.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1242 on: November 11, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »

You have to separate what he did then and what he is doing now.

What he has done since then has been no where near the same level

By that metric Slash/Izzy/Duff/Axl/Adler are all bums because none of them has made much of anything since the Illusions that has people doing cartwheels. Seems a little unrealistic to have that be your standard.

Um no, I'm talking about QUALITY. If you couldn't understand that from what I said, I can't help ya.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1243 on: November 11, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »

We need the Ozzy song out soon because this bitching is out of control right now.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1244 on: November 11, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »

I will always love those old guns songs that he helped create/played on, but it doesn't mean I can't have a negative opinion about what he is doing now.

Which is fine, but I think what annoys people is when they are made out to be stupid or inferior in some way because they happen to like it, or at least, not mind it too much.

If people just said they didn't like it because of reasons a), b) and c) and left it at that, I don't think there'd be much of a problem. It's when the "that was shitty, anyone who likes that must be a zealous Slash follower etc. etc." stuff starts that leads us to where we are now. I agree with Genesis (I think it was him...) that people should stop taking the bait and reacting with insults, but you know, that goes for both "sides" (there's that word again....).

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Groghan
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1245 on: November 11, 2009, 05:08:21 PM »

I think the reason this song is drawing so much snipping back and forth is pretty simple.
For years, the people who constantly post negative things about Axl, have ripped him apart for tarnishing the GnR legacy and for fronting a cover band.

But then their hero Slash releases a hip-hop version of a GnR classic . . . . . . . .and they realize that now they can never complain again about what Axl is doing with the GnR name. And it irritates them.

For me personally, I don't have a problem with bands putting new spins on old songs. It is THEIR song, so they can do what they want. Doesn't mean I have to like it or purchase it though.

But my annoyance is that if Axl put out a hip-hop version of Jungle, featuring Vanilla Ice and Rhinna, ALL the same people who are saying how kick-ass Slash's new PC version is, would be freaking out and talking about how Axl was once again tarnishing and ruining the GnR name.

With that said, I'll still be purchasing Slash's solo album. But I really do hope that these two songs are NOT an indication of what will be on the actual album.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1246 on: November 11, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »

their hero

Aaaargh!

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Groghan
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1247 on: November 11, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

Don't get me wrong! I'm a slash fan. And I get sick and tired of the people who constantly make negative posts - on BOTH sides!!!! I hate seeing the "you only like the song because you are swinging on Axl's nuts" or conversely, "get your nose out of Slash's ass and ...."

I was just pointing out that it is unfair of those who follow Slash more than Axl to be defending this song. Because if Axl had released it (same song, same singers) the SAME people who are praising Slash for doing it, would be ripping Axl apart.
And how unfair it is to rip Axl apart for ruining the GnR legacy, for tarnishing the GnR name . . . . .but not saying anything negative about Slash putting out an abomination version of a classic GnR song. To me, what SLash is doing is much worse.

I support both Axl and Slash. I just enjoy the music Axl is putting out now compared to what Slash is putting out. And in my opinion, the worst song on Chinese Democracy is 100 times better than these two new songs.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1248 on: November 11, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »

i dont know what's the problem.

This is a GNR site. We love GNR because of its music. One guy that was in the band 13 years ago comes and does a cover of a GNR classic. Most of us think its a disgusting abomination , and we express it.

There are several examples of rock covers mixed with rap style that kick ass: 'Walk This Way', 'American Badass', etc, and there are very famous bands that mix rock and rap extremely well like Korn, Limp Bizkit (in some cases) and/or Slipknot. Well, this is not one of these cases. What I am REALLY, REALLY trying to figure out is what the fuck they did with the intro. The most significative part of the song is simple not there. They severely butchered the rest of the song but you still can identify the song. But what did they do with the intro? How can it be no one from the studio staff said to Slash ''hey mate, this thing we are recording is a shit. Your fans will hate it but, what is worst, it wont be recognized until the lyrics part comes. Just record it properly or skip the idea''

It's an irony that, if this cover has something barely decent in it, its not Slash but Fergie's vocals.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1249 on: November 11, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »

From Rolling Stone:

The first taste of Slash?s solo project has some fans losing their appetite for destruction. Yesterday the Velvet Revolver guitarist released a Japan-only two-song single featuring the rap group Cypress Hill and the Black Eyed Peas? Fergie on a WTF version of the Guns n? Roses classic ?Paradise City.? That bizarre (albeit rocking) song and the single?s A-side, ?Sahara? ? a collaboration with Koshi Inaba ? quickly appeared on YouTube by day?s end.

?Until now, not too many people have heard Fergie sing Rock & Roll but she sings it better than most dudes I know. She?s a screamer at heart,? Slash wrote on his Twitter yesterday. This isn?t the first time the Duchess has attempted to out-Axl Axl Rose. Back in July 2008, Fergie and Slash performed ?Sweet Child o? Mine? together on several occasions. Fans turned off by the ?Paradise City? remake needn?t worry: ?This Japanese release will not be on my record in the West, which is all new original material,? Slash tweeted.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/11/11/slash-revisits-paradise-city-with-fergie-cypress-hill/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1250 on: November 11, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

I am going to talk about the song.  After multiple listens, I really like both songs.  This just a little promo release anyway, but it gets my juices flowing to hear what the other 19 songs sound like.  19 songs, 21 if you count these 2, back in the 70's that would be 2 complete albums.  Surely there will be some gems on 19 songs.

I think Slash played some really cool fills on the PC cover and on Sahara i love the guitar during the bridge and the guitar solo.  

The production seems pretty decent as well.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:37:25 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1251 on: November 11, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »

a WTF version of the Guns n? Roses classic ?Paradise City.?

I could have tried to describe this cover a million times, but never with this precision  rofl

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1252 on: November 11, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »

I could have tried to describe this cover a million times, but never with this precision  rofl

WTF = Wow That's Fantastic?
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1253 on: November 11, 2009, 06:08:20 PM »

WTF = Wow That's Fantastic?

Now whose trying to bait people?
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #1254 on: November 11, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »

Who cares? This is just an internet forum  Tongue
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1255 on: November 11, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »

Who cares? This is just an internet forum  Tongue

not only that but people are up in arms about a B Side on a Japanese Import; and how many times has a cover been better than the original?  no

i swear people take this shit way to seriously
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:09:13 PM by oldgunsfan » Logged
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #1256 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »

just heard both songs. nothing great i am afraid  no

the sound is too "sterile", i expected something dirtier.

however i don't agree with all the bashing for PC, i mean its just a cover... of course the original is a masterpiece than can't be recreated. what exactly did you expect?

homo homini lupus...
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1257 on: November 11, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »

This is a GNR site. We love GNR because of its music. One guy that was in the band 13 years ago comes and does a cover of a GNR classic. Most of us think its a disgusting abomination , and we express it.

There are several examples of rock covers mixed with rap style that kick ass: 'Walk This Way', 'American Badass', etc, and there are very famous bands that mix rock and rap extremely well like Korn, Limp Bizkit (in some cases) and/or Slipknot. Well, this is not one of these cases. What I am REALLY, REALLY trying to figure out is what the fuck they did with the intro. The most significative part of the song is simple not there. They severely butchered the rest of the song but you still can identify the song. But what did they do with the intro? How can it be no one from the studio staff said to Slash ''hey mate, this thing we are recording is a shit. Your fans will hate it but, what is worst, it wont be recognized until the lyrics part comes. Just record it properly or skip the idea''

It's an irony that, if this cover has something barely decent in it, its not Slash but Fergie's vocals.

I don't like this Paradise City cover either, but maybe the point of this was to reinterpret the song?
Why play it exactly as it was recorded originally?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1258 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:39 PM »

I don't like this Paradise City cover either, but maybe the point of this was to reinterpret the song?

i dont see why it was necessary to cover it at all.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1259 on: November 11, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »

i dont see why it was necessary to cover it at all.

Especially when he says he wants to get past the GNR stuff and move on.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: