Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 429413 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #820 on: October 14, 2009, 05:17:32 AM »

But the song is quite lame and not what i associate going to see Guns with.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #821 on: October 14, 2009, 05:31:14 AM »

The song is quite awesome, actually.
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #822 on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:43 AM »

I'm not really sure where he's going with this.  Usually, the idea behind producing covers of existing songs is to pay respect to music and musicians that they like or were influenced by. for example, TSI was an album of covers that Guns felt had influenced them and wanted to share those influences with their fans. 

I know that Slash has the right to reproduce his own material in any way he sees fit, with anyone he likes, but it just doesn't seem to have a point from a musical perspective.

The only point I can imagine it having is that Slash is not as popular in Japan as GNR, and that the inclusion of a cover version of PC is a marketing strategy.  Should that be the case, then surely Slash is using the Guns name to promote himself as a solo artist. 

While this may be understandable, after all, he was in the band and will always be associated with it regardless of what he does, I don't think it's right that he presents the attitude of 'I'm not in that band anymore and I don't want to talk about it', but can then use his material from Guns to sell a single.  Seems to be double standards to me.

BTW, I wouldn't feel differently about this regardless of who he covered it with, be it Steven Tyler, Alice Cooper, Velvet Revolver or whoever the latest trendy pop star is.  Playing it live is one thing, but actually re-recording it and putting it on a single seems a bit off to me. 

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #823 on: October 14, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »

BTW, I wouldn't feel differently about this regardless of who he covered it with, be it Steven Tyler, Alice Cooper, Velvet Revolver or whoever the latest trendy pop star is.  Playing it live is one thing, but actually re-recording it and putting it on a single seems a bit off to me. 

It hasn't been confirmed that its a re-recording yet.  (i dont think).
But its just a B-side.  I don't think he is using it to push the single although that might help.

Dont wanna comment further on "We are Beautiful".   That was aimed at the people trying to make Slash out to be some pop lover!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #824 on: October 14, 2009, 07:57:28 AM »

Look at it this way.

I haven't purchased a single since a was a teenager, as I don't see the point in shelling out for a song that is going to be on an album anyway.  However, if one of the bands I like released an exclusive single with a b-side that was not going to be included on the album, I would buy it.

Add that to the Japanese love of all thing Guns, and you have instant sales. Especially considering that the single is likely to come with a sticker on the front proclaiming 'Limited edition b-side - Guns N' Roses Paradise City'.  Then you also have the fact that in a few years it'll become a collectors item.

The inclusion of b-side tracks which are not going to be on an album has long been used as a strategy to sell more singles, by many bands.  I don't have a problem with this.  My problem is that Slash only seems willing to be associated with GNR when it suits him.

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #825 on: October 14, 2009, 08:02:50 AM »

Maybe he is being pushed into it though?  its a business and management want money

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #826 on: October 14, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »

http://bznetparty.offthelock.com/index.php?topic=338.msg4310

At least the Japanese aren't complaining!  hihi

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #827 on: October 14, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »

Once again, in order to "justify" this, a Slash fan tries to use what GN'R has done to do so.

Maybe you should just try to "justify" it with the fact that Slash has played with the Best Buy band, done a commercial for VW, recorded a cover of a Prince song with Rod Stewart, played Guitar Hero with Bill Gates, appeared on American Idol, tried to sell his house on Ellen or something else from his past?

Keep GN'R out of this.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #828 on: October 14, 2009, 09:05:56 AM »

usually I agree more or less with what you have to say but this statement about the song being lame is just wrong Tongue and sounds much better with her singing it than GnR's guitarist plauing it
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #829 on: October 14, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »

Im not trying to justify anything.  

I know this might be a strange concept to some, but im actually looking forward to hearing Sahara.  ok
If everyone stayed on topic, thats what we'd be discussing right now.

Like the first 30 odd pages of this thread.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #830 on: October 14, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »

he has all the rights to perform that song. and if he even has the rights to re-record it for an official release then it is HIS decision people have to accept. if he plays with Ozzy, BestBuy band, Lemmy, Fergie, Rod Stewart and whatever.......all artistic decision in general, like it or not.
people talk about but they mostly cant change a thing! they have to accept silence, performances and other moves from the same or other artists aswell.

Re-Union time, baby!!
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #831 on: October 14, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »

How many covers of their own songs you mean with somebody else singing?

If this was 1989. Do you think Slash would've recorded a cover of Paradise City with Debbie Gibson and the Fresh Prince?

Just a FYI to the morons who think I'm comparing Fergie to Debbie Gibson, she was a popular pop singer at the time. Just like Fergie is today.

/jarmo

that comparison degrades Debbie Gibson cause she at least wrote her own songs for the most part.

I hate Fergie and hate the PCD chick with a passion

If this becomes a single or is something on Slash's album, I will be the first to say its lame.

As long as it stays a Japanese B Side, I don't have that big of a problem with it.

so just out of curiosity, what have fergie and nicole sherzinger ever done to you personally where you would hate them with a passion?  So do you know them personally?  Did they fuck your best friend? Just wondering since most people only hate people "with a passion" if they actually know them.

Or do you just hate what they stand for and the music they make? ok
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #832 on: October 14, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »

If this was 1989. Do you think Slash would've recorded a cover of Paradise City with Debbie Gibson and the Fresh Prince?

Just a FYI to the morons who think I'm comparing Fergie to Debbie Gibson, she was a popular pop singer at the time. Just like Fergie is today.

/jarmo

that comparison degrades Debbie Gibson cause she at least wrote her own songs for the most part.

If this becomes a single or is something on Slash's album, I will be the first to say its lame.

As long as it stays a Japanese B Side, I don't have that big of a problem with it.

so just out of curiosity, what have fergie and nicole sherzinger ever done to you personally where you would hate them with a passion?  So do you know them personally?  Did they fuck your best friend? Just wondering since most people only hate people "with a passion" if they actually know them.

Not to answer for D, but he's said before he hates what they stand for and they're EVERYTHING that is wrong with the music business today.  Or something along those lines.

I actually don't mind Fergie.  I think that Nicole chick is hot, but from what I can gather isn't my cup of tea as far as her musical ability goes.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #833 on: October 14, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »

Whilst I agree that - if it's a re-recording and not a live track - the release of a new version of Paradise City is a bad move and in poor taste no matter who it's with (but especially with Cypress Hill as they really don't do that song justice), jarmo... what exactly is wrong with performing with Rod Stewart on a cover of a Prince song?  Both Rod and Prince are perfectly acceptable musicians to be associated with... even if Prince does have a poor reputation personally and I'm not a fan of his stuff, he's one of the world's most universally celebrated artists by artists from all genres in the world for a reason.

In other news, I wonder if we'll get to hear Sahara next month or whether we'll have to wait for the full album.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #834 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »

/jarmo

they are basically everything that is wrong with music.

just listen to their songs or read their lyrics

see "My Humps" Fergalicious as an example

and anything by the PCD

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #835 on: October 14, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »

jarmo... what exactly is wrong with performing with Rod Stewart on a cover of a Prince song?  Both Rod and Prince are perfectly acceptable musicians to be associated with... even if Prince does have a poor reputation personally and I'm not a fan of his stuff, he's one of the world's most universally celebrated artists by artists from all genres in the world for a reason.

Both are great artists.  Smiley

But wasn't that the recording Slash apparently fired his then manager for? He used it as an excuse...

As far as I recall from his printed collection of memories he doesn't remember, he said his manager set it all up or something similar...

Maybe that wasn't the best example of a poor decision, maybe by his manager since it got him fired...  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #836 on: October 14, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »

Anybody else tired of all this shit about Paradise city! 

Lets get talking about Sahara!  Cant wait to hear it and hopefully we will soon!

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #837 on: October 14, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »

Anybody else tired of all this shit about Paradise city! 

Lets get talking about Sahara!  Cant wait to hear it and hopefully we will soon!

yeah right ok
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #838 on: October 14, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »

/jarmo

they are basically everything that is wrong with music.

just listen to their songs or read their lyrics

see "My Humps" Fergalicious as an example

and anything by the PCD

i don't listen to shit I don't like enough to develop an opinion or hatred for an artist; i just change the station Wink
obviously youre in the minority as the black eye peas single and album has been at the top of the charts all summer and into fall

not saying whether it right or wrong-just what the numbers say -

personally I could care less
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #839 on: October 14, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »

i think my problem was that i was expecting a rock album.. and wasn't really expecting a rap cover.. that being said.. i think its better to have a rapper and pop star cover the song rather than a rock singer.  You could have any rock singer living or dead cover this and its not going to be as good as teh 1987 version.  This will be a completely new version of the song.. i'm not saying its my cup of tea.. ect.. but i appreciate it when cover's are done so they don't try to sound exactly like the original.  Who knows.. it could just be something they were jamming on while recording the album.. and decided to throw it in as a bside.    I'm still looking forward to the album.. and glad to see the ball is rolling and a single is being released.. i wish it was a single with a singer i have heard of before.. but none the less.. its good to see things are progressing
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: