Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 429382 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #800 on: October 13, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »

This is a different take on the same song. I don't care much for Fergie either and if the song turns out to be bad, it's bad.

Just trying to understand the reason why... Too much to ask?

Wrong. Any playing that IMO makes the song better is welcome.

No complaining allowed, you have to be open minded!

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:32:10 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #801 on: October 13, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »

This is a different take on the same song. I don't care much for Fergie either and if the song turns out to be bad, it's bad.

Just trying to understand the reason why... Too much to ask?

Not at all...

Wrong. Any playing that IMO makes the song better is welcome.

No, you have to be open minded!

That's more like it, Jarmo. You're almost there. Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
+Rocker+
I want to hea... have Slash's baby
Rocker

« Reply #802 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »

Edited to add: Maybe you guys can explain to me what exactly is wrong with the original version of Paradise City since we all need to hear Fergie sing it? It's not good enough and Fergie will sing it like it should be done? She's the best alternative out of all the singers in the world?

Maybe you should wait for Slash's interview where he was asked about that. But, by now, I guess that Slash want to do something "special" with PC and if he thinks it's a good idea, I have no problem. Or maybe he wants to give Guns n' Roses fans something "different", and I insist, if he thinks it's a good idea, I have no problem. Despite my skepticism on Fergie performance, the important thing (at least for me) is that I'm going to hear a "new" GNR song performed by Slash. That's always interesting.

I love you Axl, but I'm also one of "those" Slash supporters haha...
www.rockinslashforum.com
Soon: www.rockin-slash.com
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #803 on: October 13, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »

Personally speaking, I prefer originals over covers.. especially covers which are exact replica's of the originals. But with Paradise City it could be interesting, though I'm not a big Fergie or Cypress fan, how it will sound like with Slash's on guitar anno 2009. However I will listen first to the song and then judge.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #804 on: October 13, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »

Maybe you should wait for Slash's interview where he was asked about that.

He changes his story so often that it probably is a better option to let you Slash fans answer!

Despite my skepticism on Fergie performance, the important thing (at least for me) is that I'm going to hear a "new" GNR song performed by Slash. That's always interesting.

And that's why I love to see GN'R. They play GN'R songs.  ok

You'd rather have him cover a GN'R song than hear his new solo stuff?

The GN'R covers didn't really make Snakepit any better. Or Velvet Revolver.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #805 on: October 13, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »

Artists "re-doing" their older songs isn't really new.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page did it on No Quarter. Metallica played their songs with an entire orchestra. That's blasphemy to some people! IMO, doing a song with Fergie (who I have no opinion on since I've never really heard her [actually, I've heard Where Is The Love?....]), is interesting and unexpected. He obviously feels something is going to come from it and whether 'the masses' like the results or not, I doubt he's overly concerned about TBH.

I don't think PC needs reworking by anyone, but if he wants to do it, good luck to him. If it's a b-side to a Japanase-only single, I'm probably never gonna hear it anyway.

And for the record, I have never complained about the way the current band plays GNR songs or Axl re-recording anything. Not all of "the Slash fans" think the same. Wink Cheesy

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #806 on: October 13, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »

Maybe you should wait for Slash's interview where he was asked about that.

He changes his story so often that it probably is a better option to let you Slash fans answer!

Despite my skepticism on Fergie performance, the important thing (at least for me) is that I'm going to hear a "new" GNR song performed by Slash. That's always interesting.

And that's why I love to see GN'R. They play GN'R songs.  ok

You'd rather have him cover a GN'R song than hear his new solo stuff?

The GN'R covers didn't really make Snakepit any better. Or Velvet Revolver.

/jarmo

how many covers were on the illusion albums?

and what exactly was the spaghetti incident
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #807 on: October 13, 2009, 02:49:08 PM »

How many covers of their own songs you mean with somebody else singing?

If this was 1989. Do you think Slash would've recorded a cover of Paradise City with Debbie Gibson and the Fresh Prince?

Just a FYI to the morons who think I'm comparing Fergie to Debbie Gibson, she was a popular pop singer at the time. Just like Fergie is today.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:30:39 PM by jarmo » Logged

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #808 on: October 13, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »

is anybody really gonna fork over $30 for a single of a japanese singer and a cover of a GNR song anyway? hihi
I'll wait for the album to drop and pass on the B-Side myself no

but for $30/ you gottabe fucking kidding me if I would pay that for 2 songs
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #809 on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »

How many covers of their own songs you mean with somebody else singing?

If this was 1989. Do you think Slash would've recorded a cover of Paradise City with Debbie Gibson and the Fresh Prince?

Just a FYI to the morons who think I'm comparing Fergie to Debbie Gibson, she was a popular pop singer at the time. Just like Fergie is today.

/jarmo

that comparison degrades Debbie Gibson cause she at least wrote her own songs for the most part.

I hate Fergie and hate the PCD chick with a passion

If this becomes a single or is something on Slash's album, I will be the first to say its lame.

As long as it stays a Japanese B Side, I don't have that big of a problem with it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
+Rocker+
Rocker

« Reply #810 on: October 13, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

The fact that Fergie is in this Japanese B-side, "maybe" it means that she's not in the album. who knows...

www.rockinslashforum.com
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #811 on: October 13, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »

The fact that Fergie is in this Japanese B-side, "maybe" it means that she's not in the album. who knows...

Fergie is def on the album and the lead single will probably feature her, and if it does the record will probably debut number 1 in the states or at least in the top 5 and have staying power...

I am one of the few who seem to enjoy both Slash and GNR in 2009.  I love Guns N Roses, new and old, and I will never take away what Slash did in the band.  To say that Slash is using the GNR name for publicity is absurd.  The bottom line is Slash and Guns N Roses are synonymous with each other and they always will be.  The sooner people accept that aspect of it the happier they will be in life.  GNR could put out 15 more albums without Slash on them and Slash will always be the first guitarist that comes to mind when Guns N Roses name is mentioned.  It is what it is, they were far too big on a worldwide scale for people just to forget he was in the band.  Richards-Stones, Page-Zeppelin, Perry-Aerosmith, Slash-Guns N Roses.  Now this does not mean that we cant support the new band, I love the new band and I have seen them live several times.  But I dont feel like I have to hate Slash or have some problem with him because Axl does.  Slash was part of the greatest hard rock records ever released in the history of mankind, if he wants to have Fergie sing on a version of "Paradise City" who the hell am I to tell him he cant?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #812 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »

You, I, or anyone has no right telling Slash what to do.  But it doesn't mean I can't think it's lame to have Paradise City as a B-side to a single.  I'd have more of a problem with Cypress Hill being involved than Fergie to be honest.  Nothing against Cypress Hill, I enjoyed some of their stuff in the past.  But I saw them perform Paradise City with Slash on the Kimmel Show years ago and it was just disturbingly awful.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #813 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:03 PM »

Good point Bodhi, I guess we as fans really shouldn't tell Slash or Axl or whomever what to do. Its their music, They really are free to do whatever with it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
+Rocker+
Rocker

« Reply #814 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »

I agreed with both of you. Perhaps, once in a while Slash makes some performances which can be a little "embarrasing", like those latin woman performance for example. I accept that, but... this is quite different, we are talkin' about Paradise City. It can be worth just to hear Slash's guitar on it again. Beside Cypress Hill it's a huge band, they are not the same shit than Emminen o 50 Cent or that crap. Cypress Hill has some Rock influencies and a interesting gloomy style that make PC sound different and interesting, even so Fergie can give PC something special.

If someone is worried about Guns n' Roses' s honor after this version of Paradise City, what the hell, Axl himself got used us to "experiment" with our taste...at this point make any sense to be conservative?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:39:49 PM by +Rocker+ » Logged

www.rockinslashforum.com
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #815 on: October 13, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »

I agreed with both of you. Perhaps, once in a while Slash makes some performances which can be a little "embarrasing", like those latin woman performance for example. I accept that, but... this is quite different, we are talkin' about Paradise City. It can be worth just to hear Slash's guitar on it again. Beside Cypress Hill it's a huge band, they are not the same shit than Emminen o 50 Cent or that crap. Cypress Hill has some Rock influencies and a interesting gloomy style that make PC sound different and interesting, even so Fergie can give PC something special.

If someone is worried about Guns n' Roses' s honor after this version of Paradise City, what the hell, Axl himself got used us to "experiment" with our taste...at this point make any sense to be conservative?

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying with that last sentence, but if it's what I think it means, there is a WORLD of difference between experimenting with new sounds and styles with new songs and reworking old songs to experiment with sounds and styles.

The two are not even comparable.  One is artistic evolution, the other is not.

Ali
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #816 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »

i'm not telling that guy what to do.  it just disgusts me how he continues to use GnR to further himself when he quit the band many many years ago.  I dont' want him associated with the band now, he's supposed to be doing his own thing.   I have no desire to see him cover songs he's already played on, especially with pop/rap artists.   It is what it is.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #817 on: October 14, 2009, 03:18:03 AM »

i'm not telling that guy what to do.  it just disgusts me how he continues to use GnR to further himself when he quit the band many many years ago.  I dont' want him associated with the band now, he's supposed to be doing his own thing.   I have no desire to see him cover songs he's already played on, especially with pop/rap artists.   It is what it is.

If you hate him SO much, go discuss the Asia tour!  ok
We won't miss you, i promise.
And Axl doesn't use the GNR name to further himself Huh

Before you go on talking bout "gay pop stars" lets not forget that GNR covered Christina Aguilera's "we are beautiful" on the 06 tour. 
Really rock n roll!  Maybe they'll use that as a B-side one day  hihi

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #818 on: October 14, 2009, 04:17:58 AM »

I don't think he can, since he's in the band... Tongue He may stand on street corners and shout "I'm in Guns N' Roses!" at people, I don't know...

But I'm not sure I'd call releasing a GNR song as a b-side to a Japan-only single as furthering oneself either.... Furthering himself to Japanese GNR fans who like Fergie maybe. Cheesy

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Grasshopper
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #819 on: October 14, 2009, 05:06:34 AM »

i'm not telling that guy what to do.  it just disgusts me how he continues to use GnR to further himself when he quit the band many many years ago.  I dont' want him associated with the band now, he's supposed to be doing his own thing.   I have no desire to see him cover songs he's already played on, especially with pop/rap artists.   It is what it is.

If you hate him SO much, go discuss the Asia tour!  ok
We won't miss you, i promise.

Before you go on talking bout "gay pop stars" lets not forget that GNR covered Christina Aguilera's "we are beautiful" on the 06 tour. 
Really rock n roll!  Maybe they'll use that as a B-side one day  hihi

Linda Perry, the weird chick from four non blondes, is a friend of Richard Fortus. She wrote the song Beautiful, that would be the reason it was played on the tour.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: