Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428880 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #500 on: July 12, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »

I've shown you I don't know what I'm talking about... riiiight. Roll Eyes  I'm not here claiming that this guy is great, when the only thing he's ever achieved in his life was a case of right place at the right time.  I'm not here claiming that everyone else is completely ignorant for thinking differently either.
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #501 on: July 12, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

Enjoy your Adler's AFD show.

Ok I will.   Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhGAsmENpA
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2009, 07:23:48 PM »

Fun!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »

I'm watching this one Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpWp44xHPf8
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #504 on: July 12, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

There is no comparison.  The performance from the Ritz has way more energy, the Roskilde is more polished.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2009, 08:54:54 PM »

There is no comparison.  The performance from the Ritz has way more energy, the Roskilde is more polished.
energy schmenergy.

you say it sounds more polished because the music is being played by a better and more proficent band.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »

Other albums had a different feel due to them experimenting with different styles.  Seriously, there is not one thing that Adler contributed to that band that any other drummer couldn't have contributed and done a lot better (unless they're Meg White).  The drummer is supposed to keep in time for one thing - something that Steven was rarely capable of doing, relying on Duff to do his job as well as his own.Josh Freese plays in a similar style to Steven (and is the first drummer GN'R had that was anything more than just adequate)... only difference being he does it well, when Steven just does not.

And if you doubt my status as a music lover, I guess you have a helluva lot to learn.

The drummer is SUPPOSED to keep in time? That is close to the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Is that what they taught you in primary school yr 2 music? Musicians are supposed to do... whatever the fuck they want. They use certain techniques which sound nice - like playing in scales, using specific chord progressions, having specific structures, arrangements... But none of them are static.

Steven adler has a VERY VERY strong groove in his playing, which frankly is missing in every other guns record. Once you get a technically supreme level, which adler was not at, you do things in the so called "perfect" technical way, like playing metronomically, using specific drum excersizes which you adapt to fills - and you basically lose your individual voice as a drummer. I can listen to steven for a whole record - he's not playing your average drum patterns, he's doing really cool creative stuff - playing really really with the music, and the fact that he played guitar really comes through in his style...

Sure any drummer in the world could play stevens parts, but nobody would have played them like him. Just like any shredder in the world (michael angelo, yngwie) could have played slash's parts. But not like slash. Whoever of you are saying that steven is unimportant are objectively wrong. Maybe he is unimportant to YOU, but he is important to me and millions of other people - and therefore he is important to appetite being regarded a great album.

I'm hella curious to see how he'll be with flea, two of my fave bands together hahahah. I honestly don't know if it'll work. I mean, Adler is kind of like Chad - big 80's style drummers except with a strong groove. But chad and flea are way more busy then duff and steven ever were - so it will be very very interesting to see how they sound.
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2009, 09:07:02 PM »

I didn't say it was bad.  I said it was polished.  It is, hell it should be.  That music has been around for years to be polished up.  The original had a sloppy appeal to it.  The guys now just play it straight, on time.  

Do you always have to be a dick?  Always so defensive.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #508 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »

I'm not an Adler hater, I appreciate his work on AFD, especially "Paradise City".  Just wondering though for those sticking up for him.  Do you think he WAS a good drummer but drugs derailed him?  Or do you believe that he could've persevered through the UYI days even with the drug use?  And do you still think he's a great drummer today?  If so, why is he not in a bigtime band and instead playing with Chip Z'Nuff and friends?  I realize he's having a good time and that's all that really matters, but if he was as good as some of you are painting him out to be he'd surely have gotten some bigger offers since he cleaned up his act.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #509 on: July 12, 2009, 09:16:40 PM »

I definetly dont think he's an objectively "good" drummer. he speeds up in choruses and slows down in verses. This was kind of vital for AFD,ie  he has a strong personal voice in his drums - but this means he's not very adaptable. He wouldn't work in alot of bands, when hiring drummers (as you can see in GnR's place), bands often look for some dude who'll just be really awesome and not get in the way of what they're doing.

I don't think the drugs affected his drumming skill so much as his personality and ability to work with other people. Nobody wants some psycopathic druggie in your band.
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #510 on: July 12, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »

Just wondering though for those sticking up for him.  Do you think he WAS a good drummer but drugs derailed him?  Or do you believe that he could've persevered through the UYI days even with the drug use?  And do you still think he's a great drummer today?  If so, why is he not in a bigtime band and instead playing with Chip Z'Nuff and friends?  I realize he's having a good time and that's all that really matters, but if he was as good as some of you are painting him out to be he'd surely have gotten some bigger offers since he cleaned up his act.

I do believe that it was his drug use that got him kicked out of the band, because it began to have an effect on his playing to where he was unreliable.  He was obviously able to play with them before and be successful.  I also think that the original lineup fell apart even after he left.   I saw Adler play in '07, when I guess he was/or was not clean and he played fine.   I saw him this year too and he was great(he made one mistake but not a big deal).  Adler is not a session drummer, he is just a rock drummer with his own style.   And as far as I know he has only recently gotten things together, and seems to be doing good now.  I think he is doing the best as he can, all things considered.   I'm not going to criticize him for wanting to play the music that made him famous.   I don't see a difference between AA and Loaded, or Slash playing GNR songs with Fergie.   
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »

I'm not an Adler hater, I appreciate his work on AFD, especially "Paradise City".  Just wondering though for those sticking up for him.  Do you think he WAS a good drummer but drugs derailed him?  Or do you believe that he could've persevered through the UYI days even with the drug use?  And do you still think he's a great drummer today?  If so, why is he not in a bigtime band and instead playing with Chip Z'Nuff and friends?  I realize he's having a good time and that's all that really matters, but if he was as good as some of you are painting him out to be he'd surely have gotten some bigger offers since he cleaned up his act.

For AFD, there couldn't have been a better drummer.  He was absolutely amazing on that album and very creative if I say so myself.  Sorum is a human metronome, and that is good, but Adler to me was the real deal, especially for GNR.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2009, 12:29:27 AM »

I don't see a difference between AA and Loaded

you don't see a difference?  Loaded releases and performs their own music!   
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:30 AM »

And Adler will have a song of new music on Slash's album.  He also has his own album coming out soon, and he has an EP.  Loaded relies on GNR covers too.  I prefer Adler's covers to Loaded's 20 second teasers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:52:52 AM by Trist805 » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2009, 12:51:21 AM »

And Adler will have a song of new music on Slash's album.  He also has his own album coming out soon, and he has an EP.  I prefer Adler's covers to Loaded's 20 second teasers.

but in the end, he's just going to go around to dive bars and performing AFD every night.   You can't say that about Slash or Duff or any of the other former alumni. 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2009, 12:53:51 AM »

Finishing up some bass tomorrow as well as the final string parts. #fb

about 1 hour ago from txt

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »

And Adler will have a song of new music on Slash's album.  He also has his own album coming out soon, and he has an EP.  I prefer Adler's covers to Loaded's 20 second teasers.

but in the end, he's just going to go around to dive bars and performing AFD every night.   You can't say that about Slash or Duff or any of the other former alumni. 

at least he's out there playing
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »

..because he needs the $..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »

Something tells me we'll hear about it from Steven. Cheesy

Bass & strings are done, sounds great. Recording new song w/Steven Adler & Flea tomorrow. #fb

about 2 hours ago from txt

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2009, 07:28:24 PM »

Something tells me we'll hear about it from Steven. Cheesy

Bass & strings are done, sounds great. Recording new song w/Steven Adler & Flea tomorrow. #fb

about 2 hours ago from txt

Im so buying this album when it is released!! Cant wait, and Slash is on fire guitar wise theese days, I saw him in Norway, and Im a proffesional guitarist and musician my self, so just belive me, he still have the magic..

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: