Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver receives thousands of demo tapes
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver receives thousands of demo tapes  (Read 6236 times)
Oasis1
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: May 23, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »

http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/Velvet+Revolver+receives+thousands+of+demo+tapes/newsandfeatures/contentposting_news.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=49680f0a-67e2-4461-812a-03c70c700a67&feedname=inMusic_news&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False
GeraldFord
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:55 AM »

Bad idea to go with an unknown songer. Might as well be Snakepit version 3.0
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »

That's what I was trying to get at in another thread.

Do you go with an unknown guy who has no experience of being at the level that VR is at (with some well known people in the band) or do you go with somebody who's famous on his own and has a career already.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:08 AM »

I don't see an unkown working with this band-I just don't think there will be interest and the album won't really sell-I think they need a name singer, but that's just me-I would buy the album and probably see them, but it will never get the press or airplay that Contraband received

libertad
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »

Its a double edged sword. 

Unknown guys would be more loyal and dedicated.  A known guys would possibly mean more sales and attendance.
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

dont get me wrong, I love VR and would love for this to work, but heres what I can almost garuntee is gunna happen:

they will find a singer, hype it up saying "hes the best singer they have ever had the honor of working with", release an album which will flop, then fade away into solo projects and whatnot.

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »

dont get me wrong, I love VR and would love for this to work, but heres what I can almost garuntee is gunna happen:

they will find a singer, hype it up saying "hes the best singer they have ever had the honor of working with", release an album which will flop, then fade away into solo projects and whatnot.

Now that was very insightful.

No matter who they get, VR is still a Gold selling band. They still will sell, it doesn't really matter who they get, if the guys a good singer, than he's a good singer. A better known singer would help though.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »

Or Supernova?  rofl

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 12:18:23 AM »

Now that was very insightful.

No matter who they get, VR is still a Gold selling band. They still will sell, it doesn't really matter who they get, if the guys a good singer, than he's a good singer. A better known singer would help though.

Not so sure about that.

Look what happened with Libertad. it followed a grammy winning smash album and it bombed big time

I think they should quit while they are ahead. or get like an allstar cast to contribute a song to a third and final album.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 03:46:38 AM »

Eventhough I ain't a big VR fan (finding Libertad better then Contraband but both dissapointing) musically speaking I think S/D/M still can come up with some good stuff, singer wise I don't think they'd settle with someone 'bad'.. ifso they'd already choose someone the first time around. So I'd sure like to hear some new stuff, especially since I didn't like the two albums much cause I always felt they were to modern / STP sounding. I think Scott had a big influence on the music aswell. (Listen to Big Machine and STP's Unglued for example).
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 08:27:02 AM »

well honestly... people go to see VR concerts because of Slash. Anyone who has been to a VR gig knows that. You didnt see people yelling "Scott!" but you did hear crazy yells towards Slash all during the concert. He is the star of the band. As long as he is in there, the band will have followers all around the world.... even if they find an unknown singer.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »

yeah even though i am an STP fan i mainly went to see VR to see Slash, Duff and Matt

but i dont think that the singer needs to be "known" to do well...in fact if they get an unknown it may eliminate some comparisons and relax some of the expectations

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »

well honestly... people go to see VR concerts because of Slash. Anyone who has been to a VR gig knows that. You didnt see people yelling "Scott!" but you did hear crazy yells towards Slash all during the concert. He is the star of the band. As long as he is in there, the band will have followers all around the world.... even if they find an unknown singer.

when i saw them.. duff was the guy i couldn't take my eyes off..

i didn't go to see slash Smiley it was a bonus that he was there too, because even if i don't like his personality that much he's still a guitarist born to be on the stage.. duff pwned him though hihi
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »

the thing is, it could be difficult for them to find a well known singer who accept to join the band,
due to the general ambiance and attitude these guys have with lead singers...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

Do you go with an unknown guy who has no experience of being at the level that VR is at (with some well known people in the band) or do you go with somebody who's famous on his own and has a career already.....

/jarmo

Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman... they had no experience in those kind of huge performances in that level of participation and they did it amazing !

I'd choose an unknown singer with a great voice better than an experienced singer with lots of ego and lack of creativity-voice-etc-etc

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »

please choose quality over money now!
more good music and a way better singer, even a female one could work!

Re-Union time, baby!!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »

they could always get a xfactor runner up  Tongue hihi

html sucks
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »

/jarmo

Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman... they had no experience in those kind of huge performances in that level of participation and they did it amazing !

I'd choose an unknown singer with a great voice better than an experienced singer with lots of ego and lack of creativity-voice-etc-etc

Thank you for bringing GN'R into this.

There's a slight difference in being in a band and being the front man of the band.

It's not like they're replacing "Dave Kirschner".....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »

/jarmo

In many ways, it would be  an easy situation for a nobody to step in.
There wouldn't be  any TVs thrown out of hotel room cause Mr Nobody in question would one day realize he's being overshadowd by Slash N Duff, or any of that. There wouldnt be ego-clashes.
Simply because everyone including Mr Nobody would be well aware of the long and short of it when it comes to balance of power within  the band.

It could be a cosy and silent corner for someone deserving and talented enough to grow up to be a real rock star and turn VR from "those guys from GNR" to "Mr Nobody&those guys from GNR"
It's a bit of a shame that just like Axl, Slash needs someone to kick him in the ass every now and then. Weiland wasn't able to do it that well..It's unlikely Mr Nobody ever could either. But hay who knows.

....Still, It would fucking rule so much  if they somehow just ended up together with Izzy and released some  heavily instrumental classic,sharp Roling Stones-ish rock with Izzy on vocals.
Aaaaah God how i'd love that  love

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:53:11 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »

Didn't one of the Snakepit albums go platinum? Libertad sold about 300,000 or so, so an unknown could be an upgrade.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: