Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:32:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Two Year NYC Hammerstein Ballroom Anniversary
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Year NYC Hammerstein Ballroom Anniversary  (Read 8207 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 02:59:38 AM »

Yeah, I don't think anything can compare to the excitment of the first Hammerstein show.  That was a blast.  Hope they play some smaller venues again next time out.  By the way, much props to all those involved with the presales back then...I was one of the most memorable experiences of my life and was much appreciated.

Yeah kind of funny that I started this thread. Back then I was new to the forum and couldn't get a sniff of presale passwords in fear that I was maybe a scalper/broker. I ended up buying my tickets off e-bay for around $200.00 a piece (right on the floor). I dont hold a grudge it was one of the best nights of my life. I would pay $500 today if I could have it all happen again.

Detroit guys you were very cool. I flew up from Florida for the gigs 12th & 17th, as there were no gaurantee there would be a US tour at that point.

Myself and my buddy drove over from Detroit as well for that first show.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 07:28:00 AM »

Uffff...is hard to describe. All the emotion, the curiosity, the doubts...

Then when I saw Axl Rose (with his new awesome look - Sorry Axl but football jerseys sucked a lot) and when I hear him i thought: "Axl is better than ever".

I can believe  that a guy of a foreign country, miles and miles away from my home and even my country, a guy who doesn't know that I exists have that influence in my life sometimes (the tours are an example...I always online looking for preview, audios, pics, etc.).

And I'm not a psycho-sick-fan but Axl Rose is a part of my life...I mean, I have 20 years old and I listen to him since I was six...(yes, believe or not...six)...

Like Esteban said on GNRLA: "Two years of the return of the beast"...

Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 09:22:18 AM »

I can't even explain what it was like being at 2 of these shows, I saw the 2nd and the 4th.  I had seen GNR in 2002 at MSG and after what happened with that tour I was afraid they might never tour again.  Being at Hammerstein, seeing Axl in full force and command of his voice and with an awesome band was just one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »

Hey Axl,

Yeah, I know you're reading this (NOT!).

How about doing another set of Hammerstein shows.....just for old times sake. 

No pressure to talk about the album, no bitching and moaning about a release date, none of that shit from the fans....just let us do a "GNR Hammerstein Reunion".  Because the shows were awesome and meeting the forum denizens was great, too.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »

Can't believe its gotten to the point where we are reminiscing about the new band!

Would be cool if they could release a DVD of these shows though, I guess with Robin's status as unknown there is a chance they will never see the light of day.

In comparison I went to the London Hammersmith which was really cool, I never thought I would see Axl so close

Here today...ready to rock
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »

can't believe its been 2 years.   What an exciting time to be a GnR fan.    beer   I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat if GnR booked more shows at the Hammerstein.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »

alot has happened since then to me.but i can't believe it's been two years to.that went fast really we need more ! ! ! ! !

the one an only horsey !
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »

I will always remember the first night as they were finishing WTTJ and Axl is on the ege of the stage looking into the crowd. He had a serious look on his face through out the whole song, but as the lights came up a bit and he saw how ape shit people were going he got the biggest grin on his face.

I seriously think that he came out there not truly knowing what the crowd reaction would be. That moment and his reaction to Tommy saying that he was having a "great fucking time" where two of the best moments for me, and explained alot of these delays as well.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:25 AM »

I remember driving to New York for the first time from Louisville, Kentucky for the opening show May 12th with a few people.  We all rocked out and went nuts the entire time obviously...great memories.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 04:21:10 AM »

Hammerstein, The LEGENDARY shows... tHANKS guns n 'roses...

beer beer beer beer

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »

Ahhh - great memories! the boards were on fire at this time and I was glued to my pc waiting for updates and clips - and my god... must have watched this one you tube clip of WTTJ from the first night 100 times!  Seeing that explosion when it kicked in and the crowd BAYING and going FUCKING MENTAL almost had my in tears!  I have goosebumps right now!  Would have loved to have been there - but SO happy i got my chance a bit later on at hammersmith!  If they played NY again - I'd be there in a heartbeat - that city and it's people are amazing.  what a way to get back on the live scene... these shows will always be special, its obvious that Axl and the gang loved doing them.

beer
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:46 AM »

, but as the lights came up a bit and he saw how ape shit people were going he got the biggest grin on his face.

That is probably the best way to describe the crowds reaction. I know it's what I did.  ok
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »

It's hard to believe it's been 2 years.  It was the first time I'd travelled transatlantic to see the Gunners, but after finding it difficult to connect with the live performances in 02 and yet still not feeling able to consign them to the 'good times archive' section of my life, I decided that if I was to reignite the fire and passion I'd felt when seeing them before, I'd have to go for broke and get myself to NYC for what promised to be a set of very special shows.

And I'm so glad that I did!  To say their performance was electric is so clich?d but also so true.  As I sat on the plane going home and tried to write a review, I realised that the whole experience had been almost beyond words. But the best thing of all was the realisation that for Guns N' Roses the good times were set to continue and that I was going to be a part of it.

I really thought that it couldn't get better than that but then came the gig at the Hammy Odeon.  Like Scabbie, I never thought they'd play there again, but they did, and what an incredibly special night it turned out to be.

In fact, the entire European tour of 06 was bloody brilliant from start to end and to think that if I'd given up on them after the 02 tour, I might have missed out on all that.  Well, actually, it doesn't bear thinking about...

Just want to say a huge thank you to Axl and the lads; GNR has been the soundtrack to so much of my life and I can't wait to see you all back in action over here doing what you do best.   ok

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

The first night they played was the very first concert experience of my life at the age of 18. Met up with all the people from here at Mustang Harry's and had Robin jump on me at the end of the night when he went crowd surfing. Greatest night of my life.  Smiley

and damn all of you that went to Mustang Harry's and damn guns n roses for being the first concert of my life because all the other shows (iron maiden, tool, dream theater, misfits, aerosmith, alice cooper, ozzy, rob zombie, just to name a few) i've been to after that paled in comparison. not that they weren't amazing shows, but just the atmosphere, the fans, the people brought together by a glue that is guns n roses was a feeling that i haven't felt in the 18 years of my life prior to that day or the two years after. here's to all of you  beer

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »

all the other shows i've been to after that paled in comparison. not that they weren't amazing shows, but

even general music fans are saying the same after they saw GNR in 2006/7. maybe it's not just because of it being your first concert or the other conditions you mentioned.  Cheesy
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »

all the other shows i've been to after that paled in comparison. not that they weren't amazing shows, but

even general music fans are saying the same after they saw GNR in 2006/7. maybe it's not just because of it being your first concert or the other conditions you mentioned.  Cheesy

i think it's the band and especially the fans that follow the band that's the difference. I saw them again later that year in madison square garden. now, i've seen other shows there prior to it but that night total fucking strangers, a dentist in his mid 30's that drove there in his lexus and a 19 year old sales clerk that took the subway there, were standing on their seats hand over shoulders drunk off their asses screaming paradise city on top of their lungs. and when bumblefoot played don't cry, the WHOLE stadium drowned him out by singing it themselves. that's something i've never seen again.
The hammerstein shows set the bar SOO damn high for a concert in my eyes. i'm very humbled and feel that i'm very privilaged to have been a part of that show as my first concert experience because it boggled my mind how complete strangers that only maybe vaguely know eachother from an internet message board can treat eachother like their own. i've got my ticket stubs framed and i get people asking me why bother if its not signed by a band member? i don't think it's something they'd understand if i told them unless they were there

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »

Estranged, we spoke at the bar for a couple minutes...I'm looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang again when GNR finally gets a tour together again.  I will never forget that day/night...ever. 

The only negative I see is, how can a day/night like that be topped? 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilmour
Opening Act

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »

Wow!! Two years!!!

That's a lot of time!!!.

I hope to see Axl on stage back again sometime.

PS: 6 years old??? give me a break... hihi
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »

Went by myself and didn't hit any of the bars. I got to meet some really great poeple in line but next time I have to get up the nerve to hit the bars. Cineater that means you have to go with me!! Lars you too!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »

Waste my time in the bar when there is a whole city out there to see?  And a parade?  We're hitting the streets!

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: