Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 08:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Interview with Richard Fortus (May 5, 2008)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview with Richard Fortus (May 5, 2008)  (Read 6078 times)
ben9785
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »

Hello,

Just thought I'd post a recent interview with Richard Fortus, originally posted online on May 5, 2008.

Mostly focused on X Japan, with a very very small mention of GNR at the end. I figured I'd post this here because he's a member of the band after all, even though the interview isn't focused on GNR, otherwise go ahead and move this topic somewhere else.

http://theothereast.com/?p=379

TOE: Hello, thank you for taking the time to talk to us here at the The Other East. Could you take a moment to introduce yourself to our overseas readers who might not be completely familiar with you?

Richard: My name is Richard Fortus. I currently am a member of Guns n? Roses. I?ve been with the band since 2001. I also play with a band called the Psychedelic Furs. I?ve been working with them since around ?92. I have played on all sorts of records during my career. I?ve been very fortunate to have played with many different types of bands and played many styles of music. I still do a lot of sessions for records and film scores as well as composing for film, ads, tv and video games.

TOE: MUCC opened for Guns N? Roses over the summer in Japan then came over to the states for the Taste of Chaos tour. They appear to be a band set on breaking into the US market, did you have a chance to see any of their sets while they were touring with GN?R? What did you think?

Richard: Yes, I did see their set a few times. Seem like a very solid band. Very diverse.

TOE: How did you come to work with Yoshiki and X Japan?

Richard: I?ve known X Japan?s music since the early 90?s. I worked with Yoshiki on a record that he was producing for an artist on his label called Laura Dawn. I also went to Japan to play with her for the launch of Xtacy International. Then I didn?t see Yoshiki for quite a while. I ran in to him again while I was working on the ?Repo! The Genetic Opera? score.

TOE: The movie ?Repo! The Genetic Opera? due out this summer features music produced by Yoshiki as well as your contributions. Can you tell us a little about your involvement on the soundtrack?

Richard: Yoshiki was producing the vocals for the movie. I was doing guitars on the music tracks that Joe Bishara was producing. I went to say ?hi? to Yoshiki. I?d just finished a tour of Japan with Gn?R and I had played the chorus of ?Endless Rain? during my solo. Yoshiki had heard about it and told me that he?d received a lot of emails and seen a lot of press about it. That was pretty much it, I didn?t work directly with Yoshiki on the score. I played guitar on about 12 or 13 of the cues for the movie and as far as I know, Yoshiki was producing the vocals.

TOE: Fans speculated for months about how hide?s shoes should be filled. I don?t think anyone expected you and Wes Borland to take part. Your performances ended up being well received by the X Japan community, how does it feel to win the approval of X Japan?s notoriously die hard fans?

Richard: Wes and I really couldn?t tell if we?d won anybody over, but we did have the time of our lives! It was such an honor and a thrill for us to be asked to share the stage with X Japan. I don?t think anybody could even begin to attempt to fill Hide?s shoes. Hide was one of the most charismatic guitarists I?ve ever seen. I would never be so foolish as to think I could ever fill the void he left. It was simply an honor to be asked to play those songs with the band.

TOE The X Japan reunion concerts were full of suprises, I was particularly surprised that Art of Life was performed and the hide hologram certainly added to the surprise. What moments stuck out as particularly memorable to you?

Richard: Watching the fans! The energy was so magical, especially on the last night. The whole spectacle was more than anything I have ever seen before. To be honest, the thing that impressed me the most was Toshi?s voice! His singing was impeccable. Wes and I were both awestruck by his performances.

TOE: Are there any songs that you would have liked to have had the chance to play that were not played?

Richard: They were played, but I didn?t get to play them! Rusty Nail, Week End, Sadistic Desire, all would have been a lot of fun to play! I love those riffs!

TOE: Currently X Japan has three dates planned: May 4th in Japan(Ed note, interview was set to Richard a week before that show), July 5th in France, and September 13th in New York. Will you be performing with them at any of those dates?

Richard: I haven?t been asked to perform at any of those shows. I certainly hope that they will invite me, but they might want to invite other guests. I honestly don?t know. I?d love to do it again! We had so much fun!

TOE: X Japan?s debut on the world stage has been long awaited by their fans. Their first international single IV performed very well on iTunes. Do you think that they achieve mainstream success outside of Japan?

Richard: I honestly believe that IV could break the band in the states finally. It?s a fantastic track and it?s a mystery to me why they haven?t become as big here as they are in Asia.

TOE: Finally, The Other East would like to thank you and Guns N? Roses for our upcoming free Dr Pepper.

Richard: Well, we?re doing our best to make that happen!

TOE: -Thanks for speaking with us, we appreciate it.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:54:52 PM by ben785 » Logged
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »

A great interview, and - once again - signs point to nothing but good GnR news.  Richard is a class act in all respects, and it's great to hear from him.
Snafu
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:11:28 PM »

TOE: Finally, The Other East would like to thank you and Guns N? Roses for our upcoming free Dr Pepper.

I have a feeling the only way I'll be drinking a Dr. Pepper by year's end is if I choose to pay $.50 for one.    Roll Eyes
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »

I have a feeling the only way I'll be drinking a Dr. Pepper by year's end is if I choose to pay $.50 for one.    Roll Eyes
I had a free Dr. Pepper the other day, at a family party.  Of course I'd rather have THE free Dr. Pepper, because I really could care less about soda, but I certainly hope I get another one by years end.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »

Richard In GNR From 2001 ?

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »

^ I guess it was just a typo, I don't think he came in before 2002. Paul Tobias was there in those late 2001 gigs in Las Vegas.

No wonder you're banned.

slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »

X Japan are such a great band, you should all take note!  hihi
suntorytime
Rocker

Kiyoshiro Forever

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:12:03 AM »

yea I hear that the doom shows are all sold out in minutes after the presales at yoshiki's keitai site started. they had to shrink their stage to make as many seats as possible. so that 150 thousand x fans could see them and richard.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:29:53 AM »

A great way to ask the question that's asked in every one of these interviews!   ok

Thanks Richard for giving a better answer than "No comment."   peace
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »

agreed bodine.

is that an American  x japan fan site?
mrpukie500
Opening Act

Fernando is a lucky SOB...

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »

What's he going to say to that question:  "Uh, well I wouldn't count on it." Huh

Of course not, so I wouldn't use his response as anything better than "no comment," although I certainly hope I am wrong!
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »

50 cents for a soda?   confused
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »

Sounds cool... and I love the Dr. Pepper idea, cause' I love the soda...

But seriously... we need some sort of "official" update man.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »

At this point I tend to agree.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Dickeye
Someone's always gotta be a dick
Rocker

Sittin' in a Chinese stew...

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »

Thanks for the read.

....To view my disinfatuation...

13/12/2008 - Hung out with Bumblefoot!
urboring41
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »

Ahem?

Ways to spot BringBackAdler

-constant use of the word ?bro?
-references to shows he?s seen in Florida
-Slash/Adler fetish
-burning abhorrence for Axl?s new band
-constant cries for a reunion
-Holier then thou demeanor
-the ?I?ve been around the block? attitude regarding Guns
-Love for the emoticons, especially the eye rolling one

Axl will prove you wrong in the long run.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 04:06:47 PM »

it's good that band members are doing things solo.it's good for them musically speaking.i have no problem musicians are doing something for themselves.it shows good spirits still flowing.and good that things are going well for them.

the one an only horsey !
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »

Erm OK. But shouldn't this be in 'Bad Obsession' section considering its about the X Japan reunion shows and has nothing at all to do with GnR?  Tongue

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 10:19:35 AM »

Yeah, Richard Fortus has nothing to do with GNR. Also, this question never happened:

Roll Eyes

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »

Yeah, Richard Fortus has nothing to do with GNR. Also, this question never happened:

Roll Eyes

robin is still in gnr but we werent allowed to talk about that  hihi until Richard with X Japan is on the official GnR site maybe we should stop speculating  peace
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:29:57 PM by Neemo » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: