Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A small Q&A with Marc Canter
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A small Q&A with Marc Canter  (Read 7686 times)
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

Sorry, but I don't mean to be rude. However, the writing style, above, is crude at best ...

says the guy who just wrote "What is your credentials?"

Goal!  peace

This signature is very funny.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

This book is so unnecessary in 2008.

Roll Eyes

Speak for yourself.

This book details the beginning of my favorite band. I'm very appreciative of that.

yup..  its pretty obvious by your posts, your avatar, and your attitude exactly where your interests lie.
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »

This book is so unnecessary in 2008.
Only a book on the making of CD would be healthy for the band.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I guess we shouldn't write or read about anything in the past. Let's get rid of presidential biographies, old newspaper clippings and anything else that doesn't have to do with the present.

leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »

I do speak for myself, but it is not hard to imagine that this would be the position of the GN'R camp.
No one is trying to discredit how the band started and how great AFD turned out to be. However, focusing, and re-focusing, and re-focusing on that period and that album is way beyond narrow-minded and damaging for the band NOW. Instead of setting the stage for the release and the official start of a new era for the band, books like this and others only stir up nostalgy thoughts and stupid reunion wishes among fans today. How is this good for GN'R and the upcoming CD?
There has been many books, DVDs, interviews, CDs that acknowledged that era. Most of them were also released when the time was still appropriate - back in the 90s. So, if anyone wants to read or see pics of that era, it is not very hard to dig the sources.
Axl officially said good-bye to that period with the release of Live Era in 1999. Since then he's been 100% focused on the new era.  Why couldn't people put this period to rest and move on? Why do people keep digging and digging and bring it back and stick it in the face of the fans at the expense of the current band? Money?

I fully realize that Canter is still a friend of Axl's (although not sure in what capacity since he is even better friends with Slash). But I am pretty sure that does not mean Axl endorsed this project at least not in the year it came out (2007). He most likely didn't object to it because he is a nice person and tries to help all his friends any way he can - or in this case help by not stopping this book hit the shelves in the worst possible time. It is funny how Canter's plan actually, as I believe he said in an interview, was to release the book at the time CD is released. Which, if it happened probably would've created a massive confusion among fans, media, etc. Nice guy. As well as how he keeps emphasizing and re-emphasizing in interviews how AFD was a "band" effort. Yeah, right. A "band" effort that would've gone nowhere without Axl. But would've just been as big if any of the other 4 were different musicians....as time has proven....or will for the yet unconvinced ones.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

But would've just been as big if any of the other 4 were different musicians....as time has proven....or will for the yet unconvinced ones.

are you serious?  Huh I dont wanna be rude and it´s great that you stick to your beliefs but face the reality... what time has proven is that it was the original band who made history and for most people in general, those are Guns N´Roses. We are fans, we are aware of the present  but we must get out of our bubbles sometimes and look at the reality... you can ask whoever you want (not a fan obviously) and Guns N´ Roses will be the band of Sweet Child of Mine, the band of Axl and Slash, the band who is still remembered by much as one of the best rock n roll bands of all time. Whether this is will change or not... we must wait and see.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:14:50 PM by Ines_rocks! » Logged

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »

But would've just been as big if any of the other 4 were different musicians....as time has proven....or will for the yet unconvinced ones.

are you serious?  Huh I dont wanna be rude and it?s great that you stick to your beliefs but face the reality... what time has proven is that it was the original band who made history and for most people in general, those are Guns N?Roses. We are fans, we are aware of the present  but we must get out of our bubbles sometimes and look at the reality... you can ask whoever you want (not a fan obviously) and Guns N? Roses will be the band of Sweet Child of Mine, the band of Axl and Slash, the band who is still remembered by much as one of the best rock n roll bands of all time. Whether this is will change or not... we must wait and see.

First off, point to me to one thing Axl has done, "besides" fun projects like TSI and guesting on Baz's album, that is not pure geniuos regardless of the people involved.
Second, I can point you to numerous medicore crap that the other 4 have created since they parted ways with Axl, again regardless of the people involved.

Yet, you'd say but they were perfect together at the time. Maybe. But to somehow insinuate that Axl wouldn't have been able to break big without those 4 given his artistic history, is just naive. Maybe AFD wouldn't have sounded the same without those 4, but how the hell do you know it wouldn't have sounded better? And has it ever occurred to you that the "band effort" called AFD is a little overrated and wouldn't have succeeded that much if it wasn't for the greatness and grandiose of the Illusions? How many people checked Illusions out because they saw T2 or the videos for Nov Rain, Don't Cry, fell in love with the band, and "then" bought AFD as well? Quite a few I think. Any follow-up album will boost the sales and popularity of older albums by gaining new fans.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »

are you serious?  Huh I dont wanna be rude and it´s great that you stick to your beliefs but face the reality... what time has proven is that it was the original band who made history and for most people in general, those are Guns N´Roses. We are fans, we are aware of the present  but we must get out of our bubbles sometimes and look at the reality... you can ask whoever you want (not a fan obviously) and Guns N´ Roses will be the band of Sweet Child of Mine, the band of Axl and Slash, the band who is still remembered by much as one of the best rock n roll bands of all time. Whether this is will change or not... we must wait and see.

First off, point to me to one thing Axl has done, "besides" fun projects like TSI and guesting on Baz's album, that is not pure geniuos regardless of the people involved.
Second, I can point you to numerous medicore crap that the other 4 have created since they parted ways with Axl, again regardless of the people involved.

Yet, you'd say but they were perfect together at the time. Maybe. But to somehow insinuate that Axl wouldn't have been able to break big without those 4 given his artistic history, is just naive. Maybe AFD wouldn't have sounded the same without those 4, but how the hell do you know it wouldn't have sounded better? And has it ever occurred to you that the "band effort" called AFD is a little overrated and wouldn't have succeeded that much if it wasn't for the greatness and grandiose of the Illusions? How many people checked Illusions out because they saw T2 or the videos for Nov Rain, Don't Cry, fell in love with the band, and "then" bought AFD as well? Quite a few I think. Any follow-up album will boost the sales and popularity of older albums by gaining new fans.

Humm... thats not quite what I was saying but as you brought that up...

point to me to one thing Axl has done, "besides" fun projects like TSI and guesting on Baz's album, that is not pure geniuos regardless of the people involved.

thats too subjective and depends from each person. e.g you call TSI a fun project... I love that album to death... almost as much as AFD. what you call "pure genious" may also be different for me...

I can point you to numerous medicore crap that the other 4 have created since they parted ways with Axl

again, what you call "mediocre crap" may be pretty good material for me. Let it be Izzy's albums or Velvet Revolver. So... we´re still at the subjective camp.

but how the hell do you know it wouldn't have sounded better?

how do you know it wouldnt happen the other way around? GN´R did break because they were the sum of those individuals. That´s what a band is... each bandmember has its part... you sum it all and you got something... As much talent as Axl has, he wouldnt have gone nowhere without the guys. He needed them as much as they needed him. They were starting and no one had acknowledge Axl´s talent yet. Still to this day, Axl needs a band. Would he be that "virtuoso" musician who pretty much does everything on his own, he would have gone solo a long time ago.  ok

And has it ever occurred to you that the "band effort" called AFD is a little overrated and wouldn't have succeeded that much if it wasn't for the greatness and grandiose of the Illusions?

What do you mean? Appetite is one of the best hard-rock albums of all time! You may prefer the Illusions to AFD... thats one thing... but saying AFD, one album that comes in every single "best rock albums of all time" lists by reviewers of all around the world is overrated, well.... it´s quite disturbing, coming from a fan.  Roll Eyes

I agree that videoclips of masterpiece songs like November Rain did help GNR to win even more reputation around the world...but it wasnt the Illusions who launched them... it was Appetite...don´t forget that.   Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 07:16:17 PM »

But to somehow insinuate that Axl wouldn't have been able to break big without those 4 given his artistic history, is just naive.

[/quote]

I can agree with a lot of what you say except for the above statement. I've heard some of the stuff he did before he met the other 4 and it sucks. But that's just my opinion and it's subjective. ok

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »

Sorry, but I don't mean to be rude. However, the writing style, above, is crude at best ...

says the guy who just wrote "What is your credentials?"

... and your point is?

I am aware of who is Canter, but that does not excuse the fact that the paragraph ... is some piss poor writing, and, perhaps, be best left to some internet site that speculates at best, and is a turd, at worst.

Where the fuck do you get off?  The guy gave us an interesting interview with someone close to the band.  Ungrateful!!  Go back to drinking paint thinner and leave your comments to yourself.

I'll have you know Sir, I only drink the finest whiskey.

I might frequent cheap whores, but liquor is different.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 05:05:44 AM »

I think that there is no need for personal attacks.

fucking crazy has his opinion on these things, I have mine and others have a different opinion maybe.
I always like a discussion where each opinion is treated in an equal way.

And up to a certain degree people should be able to raise their opinion based on facts, there is no need for name calling.

So let's get back on topic and talk about the small Q&A we have done.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 05:09:01 AM »

... and I might add, how dare you!!!

one might impugn my integrity, but to take a shot at my liquor ... that Sir, is a low blow.

You Sir, are a scalawag!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:32:57 AM by fuckin crazy » Logged

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

mj23 - thanks for putting this interview together and for posting it, here.  I thought it was a great little interview!  I, for one, appreciate all the work and effort he put into this book. 
axl4ever
Opening Act

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »

mj23 - thanks for putting this interview together and for posting it, here.  I thought it was a great little interview!  I, for one, appreciate all the work and effort he put into this book. 

I second that.  I've got the book and appreciated it.  But for the record, Mr. Canter has never bad mouthed anyone one in the band that I've seen or heard (including Axl).  Axl played November Rain at his wedding before it was released and his wife was cutting Axl's hair until a few yrs ago.  To me that shows that he is involved in with Marc to a certain extent. 
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 02:02:01 AM »

and keep in mind what this masterpiece of a book really covers: the whole making of AFD. Marc Canter was there from day 1, he taped nearly all the first 50 gigs himself and shot tons of photos, most never been released to the public before!! there is no other popular band having this type of die hard fan and friend who has put together such a project from the beginning.
the book release in 2007 had some very cool bonus promotion move: 20th anniversary of Appetite!
add the fact that he is still friends with Slash and Axl.....the missing link  Wink

for a "making of CD"-book/DVD there surely are enough professional recordings to create a similar project.

Re-Union time, baby!!
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:46 AM »

It might be a unique book/project/whatever and I am sure it is worth every penny for the stuck in time nostalgetic fans. However, this book would have really done justice if it had come out in the 90s.

And please, no link between Axl and Slash is needed. Ever.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:52 AM »

it was to be released in the 90s but the project stopped cause the book deal couldnt be finished in a fair way.

and yes, Marc Canter was very helpful to the band and needed  yes

Re-Union time, baby!!
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 02:45:50 AM »

Wow....

Maybe Axl might have been able to break big, on his own.  We'll never know.  I don't think so, however, in the same way.  AFD is one of the biggest selling albums of all time, isn't it?  The band effort for that is overrated?  I think it succeeded on it's own - even without Illusions.  (Illusions was, in my opinion, awesome, but probably a bit of a "letdown" in comparison to AFD, for the masses).  I remember AFD as being HUGE, way before UYI, and it catapulted GnR into infamy. 

Personally, I feel that AFD was (and remains) a phenomenal album, that only came to be, based upon the combination of the 5 guys that made it, based upon a combination of personalities and musicianship that meshed.  Without that, we wouldn't have what has become the legend of GnR, to this day....
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »

Maybe Axl might have been able to break big, on his own.  We'll never know. 

Axl could have been able to break out big on his own, but chose not to. He could have done alot of things.....but chose not to.
Which ends that discussion.

Thanks MJ23 for a nice Q/A!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:58:44 AM by CaughtMeInaComa » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: