Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Weiland talks STP, VR split in Entertainment Weekly
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weiland talks STP, VR split in Entertainment Weekly  (Read 6109 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« on: May 03, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »

From EW #990...can't find a linked article on their site at this point.  Here are two excerpts:

After describing how he told Slash about playing with STP again, Weiland says, "And everything was cool.  Then it wasn't.  Things got weird, and nobody was talking to me while we were on the road.  So March 21, I announced on stage that this would be the final Velvet Revolver tour."  He did so without telling his VR bandmates because, he says, they were already pushing him out.

"With STP, it's a situation where it just feels good.  And the opportunities- selling tickets like crazy, a whole new generation turned on to us, people being appreciative in the press...I mean, VR was fun for a while, but it's just got so much baggage from guys who went through hell with Axl Rose.  It's not how I want to spend the next 10 years of my rock life, so I had to make this decision.  They can say whatever they want to say." (VR's remaining band members declined to comment for this article.)   "Honestly," he continues, I think they should just get Gn'R back together.  And I'm not being facetious."

The rest of the article focuses on STP's relationship with the press, Weiland's solo album, etc.
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »

Spot on spot on

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »

I mean, VR was fun for a while, but it's just got so much baggage from guys who went through hell with Axl Rose. 

Didn't he just say something different in a couple of interviews? Roll Eyes

When you think about it isn't it ironic that they did with Axl Rose in the last band where the lead singer was deamonised? Originally I thought: "What a troll he must have been. What an evil man." But you know what? I have to say that I have an entirely different opinion of him today.

and

I was in a band where at the end, it was pretty much three against one. And so I'm pretty sure that it felt that way to Axl as well. I have to say this, and I'm not just saying this now because of my situation I went through, but I heard a lot of great Guns n' Roses stories you guys in the press will never hear. Everyone has made Axl out to be this horrendously crazy person, this bad guy, and I don't know him very well at all. He and I for whatever reason got almost tricked into this little media spat for a moment because one of our band members happened to run into him and said that he said something. So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »

I mean, VR was fun for a while, but it's just got so much baggage from guys who went through hell with Axl Rose. 

When you think about it isn't it ironic that they did with Axl Rose in the last band where the lead singer was deamonised? Originally I thought: "What a troll he must have been. What an evil man." But you know what? I have to say that I have an entirely different opinion of him today.

and

I was in a band where at the end, it was pretty much three against one. And so I'm pretty sure that it felt that way to Axl as well. I have to say this, and I'm not just saying this now because of my situation I went through, but I heard a lot of great Guns n' Roses stories you guys in the press will never hear. Everyone has made Axl out to be this horrendously crazy person, this bad guy, and I don't know him very well at all. He and I for whatever reason got almost tricked into this little media spat for a moment because one of our band members happened to run into him and said that he said something. So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault.

Well, in all fairness, he's saying they went through hell with Axl, not BECAUSE of Axl.  I don't think he's changing his position about Axl back towards a negative perspective.

Ali
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »

and

Well, in all fairness, he's saying they went through hell with Axl, not BECAUSE of Axl.  I don't think he's changing his position about Axl back towards a negative perspective.

Ali

Good point.  It's easy to see how it can be implied, or perhaps read that way, but you're right....*with* being the key word in that sentence.  Same thing with "all" in the last sentence you included in your post. 

Either way, Scott comes off as generally positive in regards to Axl, although perhaps that's simply in contrast to how negative he is towards the VR guys...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »

I wonder if Scott chooses his words as carefully as we review them. hihi

I'm still a little skeptical of this turn around...I guess time will tell.  I hope you're right. ok

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »

"Honestly," he continues, I think they should just get Gn'R back together.  And I'm not being facetious."

Unfortunately for the VR guys, GnR has always been together.   They've been replaced.  and in most cases it was an upgrade, so no need.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »

"Honestly," he continues, I think they should just get Gn'R back together.  And I'm not being facetious."

Unfortunately for the VR guys, GnR has always been together.   They've been replaced.  and in most cases it was an upgrade, so no need.

What case wasn't an "upgrade" Bim Job?
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:53:49 AM »

an upgrade to you maybe  Grin

in my opinion, not so much

haven't even heard the finished version of CD and calling what was leaked better the AFD, Lies or UYI I&II Shocked

----what makes an album classic is how it stands up to the test of time and AFD stands up better than most.....I don't think you can say the same about some of the songs from CD but IRS has been floating around for almost 10 years; and O My God has been around for about 10 years; anyone other than a diehard Axl fan think those songs are better than anything from AFD Huh  or will stand the test of time 20 years later?  Be in top rock riffs polls or solos of all time?   hihi  yeah, me neither
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »

haven't even heard the finished version of CD and calling what was leaked better the AFD, Lies or UYI I&II Shocked

----what makes an album classic is how it stands up to the test of time and AFD stands up better than most.....I don't think you can say the same about some of the songs from CD but IRS has been floating around for almost 10 years; and O My God has been around for about 10 years; anyone other than a diehard Axl fan think those songs are better than anything from AFD Huh  or will stand the test of time 20 years later?  Be in top rock riffs polls or solos of all time?   hihi  yeah, me neither

gee, i've never heard that argument before.   thanks!!!    Roll Eyes

i'm not claiming the demos are better than AFD.   I'm saying I like the current incarnation of the band better than any other lineup, and I have that right.   As a live band, their performance was unmatched to anything else I've ever seen.

Some of you close-minded ******** need to get your heads out of your asses and realize the world does not beat to the same drum.     Its bullshit that I should have to defend my support of the band to some of you "fans".
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

U have to ignore Jim Bob

He doesnt realize what it takes to write a classic all time great song

To him anyone who picks up an instrument can easily do that cause he has no idea the talent and genius it takes to do that.

Learning and playing someone elses stuff is nowhere near the same sport as writing it.

Shit the guy from the tribute band AFD can play the songs flawlessly, is he better than Slash?

Jim Bob u just antagonize people with your bullshit dude.  A guy who has made a career playing other people's shit CANNOT be better than a guy who is an ICON and a LEGEND. deal with it.

there is being a fan and then what u are which is reaching groupie, cult following status

I guess if Robin leaves and Axl hires someone else, they immediately become better than Slash also.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »

Axl is not in VR!

Focus on your beloved band having no lead singer instead of talking about GN'R.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »

From EW #990...can't find a linked article on their site at this point. 

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20197250,00.html

Looks like he has issues with Matt...

Several months ago, Dean DeLeo reached out to his lead singer to discuss a concert promoter's offer to have STP headline a few summer festivals. Weiland was sitting by his hotel pool in Atlantic City with wife Mary (they've since separated) and their two young children, still on tour for the 2007 Velvet Revolver release Libertad. VR, which is essentially Guns N' Roses minus Axl Rose, had done solidly with Weiland as frontman, releasing well-received albums, winning a Grammy, and touring consistently throughout Europe and the U.S. Nevertheless, their last album was foundering, and Weiland found it hard to resist the call of his old bandmates. ''I pulled [VR guitarist] Slash aside,'' he explains, ''and said, 'Listen, it's really no big deal, we'll be done touring by this time, but STP has some offers to headline some shows this summer and make a lot of money, and I agreed to do it. We'll be done in the fall, and then I can commit to the next VR album.' And everything was cool. Then it wasn't. Things got weird, and nobody was talking to me while we were on the road. So March 21, I announced on stage that this would be the final Velvet Revolver tour.'' He did so without telling his VR bandmates because, he says, it was clear they were already pushing him out; he and drummer Matt Sorum, who had clashed in the past, were soon engaged in a war of words fought largely secondhand, through the media. (''He's an ass,'' Weiland says simply.) In the end, though, claims Weiland, it was fairly straightforward: ''With STP, it's a situation where it just feels good. And the opportunities ? selling tickets like crazy, a whole new generation turned on to us, people being appreciative in the press...I mean, VR was fun for a while, but it's just got so much baggage from guys who went through hell with Axl Rose. It's not how I want to spend the next 10 years of my rock life, so I had to make this decision. They can say whatever they want to say.'' (VR's remaining band members declined to comment for this article.) ''Honestly,'' he continues, ''I think they should just get GN'R back together. And I'm not being facetious.''

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »

Unfortunately for some, it's no longer 1987.  If Slash and Duff were still writing music on the level of what they did in 1986-1991, maybe they would be missed

However, given that their material in the subsequent time hasn't sustained that level and is mostly a boring, half-assed rehash of what they've already done, what they did in 1987 or 1991 isn't particularly relevant

If the Snakepit albums or VR is what Slash has to offer in 2008, then I'm not that interested.  He hasn't grown or evolved in a positive way as a musician.  Axl actually has, whether or not you like the direction he's gone, at least he isn't spending his time making half-assed recreations of AFD.  I'm sure Slash would have been happy to turn Guns into AC/DC, but Axl was not going to have that
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »

U have to ignore Jim Bob

He doesnt realize what it takes to write a classic all time great song

To him anyone who picks up an instrument can easily do that cause he has no idea the talent and genius it takes to do that.

Learning and playing someone elses stuff is nowhere near the same sport as writing it.

Shit the guy from the tribute band AFD can play the songs flawlessly, is he better than Slash?

Jim Bob u just antagonize people with your bullshit dude.  A guy who has made a career playing other people's shit CANNOT be better than a guy who is an ICON and a LEGEND. deal with it.

there is being a fan and then what u are which is reaching groupie, cult following status

I guess if Robin leaves and Axl hires someone else, they immediately become better than Slash also.

then ignore me already and stop talking about me.   you can't do that tho, you can't help yourself.   

this is the last time i'm saying this to you, i'm entitled to my opinions, you are entitled to yours.   don't tell me what i can and cannot like.   you haven't even seen the band live, and if you'd read my post again, you'd see i said "their live performance was unmatched to anything i've ever seen".    When you learn that music is a matter of taste and its subjective and people have various opinions, you will get along much better in this world.    I'm not obligated to worship your lil hero.

on topic, lets hope your lil hero finds a worthy lead singer.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »

so Jim Bob

If u hate VR and Slash so much?

Why do u spend so much time in this section?

not sure we've ever gotten the exact reason.

Hell, bands I dont like in Bad Obsession, I tend to not p ost in those threads... thats just me

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »

so Jim Bob

If u hate VR and Slash so much?

Why do u spend so much time in this section?

not sure we've ever gotten the exact reason.

Hell, bands I dont like in Bad Obsession, I tend to not p ost in those threads... thats just me

i dont really spend that much time in this section

and i dont hate VR or Slash. 

Most of the hostility is to some of his overzealous fans such as yourself.

I'm not a huge Slash fan or a fan of VR, but I'm a GnR fan or a GnR site and as long as you want to babble on about Slash in the GnR section and bash the guys in the band, expect me to bring my opinions here to the vr section.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

What I do is give honest opinions and I dont bash anyone.

Saying so and so isnt as good as SLash isnt bashing cause over the last 20 years, there really arent any guitar players who can match Slash's pedigree.

See Jim Bob, U can say U LIKE someone more than Slash and that is fine. All p ower to u

But when u start spouting that so and so is BETTER

that is something that can be argued and proven wrong with factual information.

Take sports for example.  My fav hockey player is Ilya Kovalchuk of the Atlanta Thrashers. I like him way more than Sidney Crosby but Id never be foolish enough to say he is BETTER than Crosby.

Dirk Nowitzki is my fav NBA player of all time but Id never say something like he is greater than Micheal Jordan

Why?

Cause those can all be proven wrong with factual information.

I take offense to someone who dismisses and diminishes contributions of artists as if they were just some ordinary fucks who got lucky

when u say so and so is BETTER, that is what u are doing, especially when that person has yet to release a single piece of original music in his entire career.

we are talkin about an ICON and a LEGEND here in Slash. I think often times u take for granted and forget just how amazing he is.

People want to throw up "What has he done since he left GNR?"

That doesnt fucking matter.

his legacy is concrete regardless if he ever wrote another riff or solo. What he does now does not take away from what he has already done.

JimmyPage hasn't written anything great  in over 30 years and he is still great, Eddie Van Halen hasnt wrote a hit in a decade and he is still a legend. U get my point.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:51:33 PM by D » Logged

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »

well to me, if i say better, that means in my personal opinion, so I could replace better with the word like and to me it would mean the same thing.  I'm not sayin Robin is more accomplished than Slash.   I'm not saying he's wrote classic riffs and solos, But i do like him better and to me he is a better fit in the band and I think he is a better live performer with better stage presence.  of course, that is an opinion, and i realize it is not shared by everyone.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »

well to me, if i say better, that means in my personal opinion, so I could replace better with the word like and to me it would mean the same thing.  I'm not sayin Robin is more accomplished than Slash.   I'm not saying he's wrote classic riffs and solos, But i do like him better and to me he is a better fit in the band and I think he is a better live performer with better stage presence.  of course, that is an opinion, and i realize it is not shared by everyone.

HAHAHAHAHA

It has taken us a year to finally see eye to eye

Why didnt u say that like 8 months ago and I never would've argued again hihi hihi ok

Good thing we are both dudes, cause we definitely would be in counseling with our horrible communication.

Great post and that is great and I respect that 100 percent.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: