Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  New Classic Rock Weiland Interview
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Classic Rock Weiland Interview  (Read 9923 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »

That was a good interview.  I feel bad for the guy.  I think he really liked each member at one time.  I don't know if he really likes GNR or if he just says that. 

Jarmo, see, he didn't want to tour cause it was a dead album.  Not sure I love that attitude.  A lot of bands tour with no album.  People want to see the shows.  The shows in a way help promote the album.

It's a preference thing.  He'd rather be at home, writing and recording than touring behind a dead album, to use his words.

Ali

well since as he said earlier in the interview about the singers responsibilities, doing press, interviews, speaking to the media, writing lyrics, harmonies, blah, blah, blah..........it could be reasoned he's the reason Libertad was a dead album

And his interview with Classic Rock magazine just so happens to coincide with STP going on a 65 date tour; but I thought he wanted to be Mr. Mom;

To me, Scott got the call from Dean and just went for a quick cash grab as I'm sure they got tons of cash thrown at them to do this Shocked

There is nothing reasonable or logical about your statement.  This was a Velvet Revolver record, not a Scott Weiland record.  Therefore, the ENTIRE band deserves a share of the blame for the album's lack of commercial success.

Your quick cash grab theory will be shot to shit when STP reconvenes for a new album and I 100% believe that will be the case.

Ali
Heron Bonez
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

At least it gives you something a little more thrilling to do when you are touring. Something more challenging than playing 'It's So Easy/Sex Type Thing' every night.
 The initial goal was to tour our albums and not fall back on our old catalogue from our respective past. What ended up happening was exactly the opposite. We needed up falling back on the old material because there's not enough confidence in what this band is about. It seemed to be more important to play the old rock stuff than to build a legacy with the new band and it just became not fun.

Thats funny, cause STP is only going to play their now-old songs.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »

the fraud was slash.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »

It appears to me that Scott also has issues with paranoia.

the fraud was slash.

If that is in relation to his tenure in VR, or Weiland's leaving of the band, would you care to elaborate? Otherwise, that appears to be a rather vacuous comment. I'm just trying to get a feel where you are coming from, though I think I know.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »

There does seem to be a pattern forming... yes

From Duff:
"I know he [Weiland] was really paranoid about that and we had to allay his fears at one point, when we were writing for [VELVET REVOLVER's second album] 'Libertad'," McKagan responded. "He got wind that our manager at that point had been talking to Axl about bringing Axl over to what was our management company back then. And Scott freaked out that we were getting GN'R back together and we weren't going to make the second record. I don't know where it came from ? there was no contract on the table or pens ready to sign. Maybe now he's convinced himself that's what happened."

From Slash:
?Scott was under the impression that our drum tech was singing during the set, which was why he walked offstage at that show. We convinced him that wasn?t happening, but then the next night he said that Matt [Sorum] was doing it. He was firmly convinced that was happening, which it wasn?t.?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »

It seems to me that Scott has had a ton of personal shit to deal with it and it unfortunately carried over to his band relations.  All things considered, I'd say he's done as well as could be expected.

I agree about not touring behind a dead album.  The new songs didn't catch on.  If you're going to rely on Sex Type Thing to entertain the crowd, might as well play it with the real STP.  Same goes with the Guns guys which I guess is why he recommended the reunion.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

I think some people are misunderstanding Scott's statement about wanting VR to tour on the strength of their own new material.  People are commenting on how STP is only going to play "old" songs.  I don't mean to speak for Mr. Weiland but I think his point was that he was hoping VR could play their own music rather than rely on GNR & STP songs.  But they couldn't, they had to resort to the the classics that the crowd wanted to hear. I believe Slash had similar comments about wanting to play their own material. 
Of course STP are gonna be playing THEIR songs.  I doubt they're gonna break out into "Slither" anytime soon.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

If that is in relation to his tenure in VR, or Weiland's leaving of the band, would you care to elaborate? Otherwise, that appears to be a rather vacuous comment. I'm just trying to get a feel where you are coming from, though I think I know.

I though I was very explicit. slash said scott was a fraud, Slash said Axl was the reason these guys left guns n'roses,
Slash said a lof of bullshit about a lot of people, but at the end of the day, when you look how the people involved
in these two bands acted, you suddenly realise he's the biggest fraud of the story.

for years they tried to paint Axl as an asshole, it worked in the past, but now it's over, we can all notice how slash duff & co
were hypocrits and jealous about his celebrity. they wanted the same kind of personal glory, but rejected the responsabilities
you must deal with.

same story with Scott. who will be the next ?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »

From Duff:
"I know he [Weiland] was really paranoid about that and we had to allay his fears at one point, when we were writing for [VELVET REVOLVER's second album] 'Libertad'," McKagan responded. "He got wind that our manager at that point had been talking to Axl about bringing Axl over to what was our management company back then. And Scott freaked out that we were getting GN'R back together and we weren't going to make the second record. I don't know where it came from ? there was no contract on the table or pens ready to sign. Maybe now he's convinced himself that's what happened."

From Slash:
?Scott was under the impression that our drum tech was singing during the set, which was why he walked offstage at that show. We convinced him that wasn?t happening, but then the next night he said that Matt [Sorum] was doing it. He was firmly convinced that was happening, which it wasn?t.?

Or maybe that's exactly what Slash and Duff want us to believe?

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Ali
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »

From Duff:

From Slash:

He may be wrong about some things, but there is no denying that publicly, he's been made the scapegoat by at least Slash for the breakup.  There is no paranoia in that.

Ali
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »

From Duff:

From Slash:

Or maybe that's exactly what Slash and Duff want us to believe?

I agree, either he is or they are making him out to be. Wink

Some of what he says rings true.  I believe all 5 members were interviewed for this article, it would be interesting to see what the others had to say.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

I think I agree with Duff seeing as Axl did sign with that particular management team.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:31 PM »

how could duff relapse? I thought he was sober not by choice ie: he would die if he drank or used drugs?

Moral of the story: Don't do drugs.
Dave is probably the only blameless person in all of this. Too bad things didn't work out for him.

I know Duff relapsed, but other than that I haven't seen where much of this could be his fault. I think Scott even mentioned most of the time they stayed close. It's coming off as being a combination of Matt, Slash, and Scott.

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »

how could duff relapse? I thought he was sober not by choice ie: he would die if he drank or used drugs?

That was what his doctor told him in 1994.  Maybe not the case anymore considering his current health.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 09:32:27 PM »

Dave is probably the only blameless person in all of this. Too bad things didn't work out for him.

I know Duff relapsed, but other than that I haven't seen where much of this could be his fault. I think Scott even mentioned most of the time they stayed close. It's coming off as being a combination of Matt, Slash, and Scott.

I believe in an interview Duff said he relapsed on painkillers after an injury. And his dr. told him he would die if he kept drinking plus it was almost fifteen years ago. 

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »

I believe in an interview Duff said he relapsed on painkillers after an injury. And his dr. told him he would die if he kept drinking plus it was almost fifteen years ago. 

Looks like he had a problem with Xanax for panic attacks...

Duff McKagan, Velvet Revolver bass player, dodges a bullet and is ready to rock

September 7, 2007

After rocketing to fame ? and a bit of infamy, here and there ? and living the life of a decadent rock star, McKagan had a near-fatal reality check in 1994. At age 30, "my pancreas blew up. I survived, but it was pretty black-and-white: You drink, you die."

He has been clean and sober since ? except for a dangerous relapse. Three years ago, Velvet Revolver's debut, "Contraband," unexpectedly hit the top of the Billboard album sales chart. While touring, McKagan said he let the stress of trying to be the band's decision maker get to him.

"I've had panic attacks since I was 17, so I keep a pack of Xanax on me, for stress. But I'm a drug addict and an alcoholic, a guy like me can't take anything for stress. I got myself caught up in a nice habit for two weeks. Luckily, I had my kids and my wife; I didn't let myself go too far. But I didn't see that stuff coming. I've learned relapsing is part of recovery.

"I did 20 of those [Xanax] pills a day, and I'm thinking, 'Hey, I'm not doing blow, I'm not drinking, I'm not doing heroin or Vicodin ... .' "

He decided that part of his recovery is not to be the one "holding things together and being the go-to guy. I've been able to pull back from that."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2003872433_duff07.html

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »

Doctors always tell people they are going to die if they don't stop doing          (fill in the blank with your favorite substance). I know people that were told that 30 years ago, and still party.

... but, I also know people that have died from their abuse

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »

Now I'm not saying I'm innocent in all of this but everybody's at this place where the fucking finger is getting pointed and they're all pointing the finger at me. When you think about it isn't it ironic that they did with Axl Rose in the last band where the lead singer was deamonised? Originally I thought: "What a troll he must have been. What an evil man." But you know what? I have to say that I have an entirely different opinion of him today.

The part that was most striking to me.  I have to say I got a little chuckle out of that one.

Ali

For all that he has said......the irony.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 12:03:32 AM »

Now I'm not saying I'm innocent in all of this but everybody's at this place where the fucking finger is getting pointed and they're all pointing the finger at me. When you think about it isn't it ironic that they did with Axl Rose in the last band where the lead singer was deamonised? Originally I thought: "What a troll he must have been. What an evil man." But you know what? I have to say that I have an entirely different opinion of him today.

The part that was most striking to me.  I have to say I got a little chuckle out of that one.

Ali

For all that he has said......the irony.

For all he did say in that press release, yes.  Now it's this:

But you know what? That was a long time ago and I'd heard a lot of stories. But there are two sides to every story and having been in this band I actually feel for the guy and understand him a whole lot more.

It just goes to show that things with bands, like GN'R, are more complex than one may think.  It's not all about one person when it comes to why things go wrong.

Ali
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »

That was a good interview.  I feel bad for the guy.  I think he really liked each member at one time.  I don't know if he really likes GNR or if he just says that. 

Jarmo, see, he didn't want to tour cause it was a dead album.  Not sure I love that attitude.  A lot of bands tour with no album.  People want to see the shows.  The shows in a way help promote the album.

It's a preference thing.  He'd rather be at home, writing and recording than touring behind a dead album, to use his words.

Ali

well since as he said earlier in the interview about the singers responsibilities, doing press, interviews, speaking to the media, writing lyrics, harmonies, blah, blah, blah..........it could be reasoned he's the reason Libertad was a dead album

And his interview with Classic Rock magazine just so happens to coincide with STP going on a 65 date tour; but I thought he wanted to be Mr. Mom;

To me, Scott got the call from Dean and just went for a quick cash grab as I'm sure they got tons of cash thrown at them to do this Shocked

There is nothing reasonable or logical about your statement.  This was a Velvet Revolver record, not a Scott Weiland record.  Therefore, the ENTIRE band deserves a share of the blame for the album's lack of commercial success.

Your quick cash grab theory will be shot to shit when STP reconvenes for a new album and I 100% believe that will be the case.

Ali

I was using Scott's model of the singer / front mans responsibility as to what makes or breaks a album ok
not saying the entire band is not to blame but Scott didn't do much pulicuty for the new albums when it dropped

as for STP, guess we'll wait and see hihi

but I'd bet the under on the Number of New STP albums if the line is 1 rofl

Scott was bitching in the article about touring a dead album; and STP is gonna do 65 dates w/out a release in how many years?

Like I said, we'll wait and see hihi

willing to put money on my theory being shot to shit?? Wink
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:17:14 AM by classicgunsfan » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: