Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:12:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is it possible.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible.....  (Read 44133 times)
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »

People are forgetting that this album is gonna sell millions and millions of records outside of the U.S. and Europe.  I was surfing in Mexico a few months ago, when this car full of Mexicans pulled up next to me and they had "Civil War" DIMED on their stereo.  It was at that moment, that I realized this.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »

I'm not sure about the 80's-it seemed like it started more around the UYI era, but I could be wrong

Started with AFD; right around SCOM came out and in heavy rotation on MTV

I meant when they started going on really late for concerts, if that started around the Use Your Illusion era-I would have to look and see-I remember I was a sophmore in high school when they hit big-the anticipation for the illusion albums was uneral-it was the first "midnight" sale of an album, which will never happen again because of album leaks

libertad
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »

People are forgetting that this album is gonna sell millions and millions of records outside of the U.S. and Europe.  I was surfing in Mexico a few months ago, when this car full of Mexicans pulled up next to me and they had "Civil War" DIMED on their stereo.  It was at that moment, that I realized this.

Is that really statistically significant ?
ben9785
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »

I still get frustrated at people's comments and expectations of the current lineup.

Nobody ever intended for the current lineup to replace the legacy and history of the 'classic' lineup. These guys in the band now are all unique individuals with their own history and talent.

They should not be unfairly criticized until the new albums come out and people hear the NEW band play THEIR NEW SONGS.

I'm sure if he could have it his way, Axl would drop all of the old material from the setlist, but he just as easily knows people are still interested in GNR to hear 'the voice' singing the 'classic songs'. So, in that case, the new guys are just doing their job, and they may not have 'the magic' of the old lineup - because they ARE NOT the old lineup.

RE: THE LATE STARTS

What the fuck is wrong with some people? Sure, it might get tiring waiting longer than you expect for them to come onstage, but its once every bloody 3 or 4 years isn't it? Are people really staring at their watch and thinking about work the next day when GNR are blasting onstage? Don't you enjoy the moment?

I'm sure these whingers have no problems getting pissed until sunrise and womanizing every other bloody Friday night..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:45:27 PM by ben785 » Logged
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »

I think in 1988 the majority of Guns fanbase were probably in high school-I should know-I was one Wink

I was also and I was at many GNR shows ,... Felt Forum, RItz, Sundance.. and yes back then in HS I didnt get home till almost 3am.lol  Its not a new thing.. its been the case , so if you dont like it cant deal with it, its not the band for you.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

What the fuck is wrong with some people? Sure, it might get tiring waiting longer than you expect for them to come onstage, but its once every bloody 3 or 4 years isn't it? Are people really staring at their watch and thinking about work the next day when GNR are blasting onstage? Don't you enjoy the moment?

I'm sure these whingers have no problems getting pissed until sunrise and womanizing every other bloody Friday night..

I wish I was waiting 3-4 hours right now for AXL to take the stage. In the grande scheme of things who the F cares how long you wait. Whatever he needs to do to prepare himself is fine by me.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »

I'm not sure about the 80's-it seemed like it started more around the UYI era, but I could be wrong

Started with AFD; right around SCOM came out and in heavy rotation on MTV

I meant when they started going on really late for concerts, if that started around the Use Your Illusion era-I would have to look and see-I remember I was a sophmore in high school when they hit big-the anticipation for the illusion albums was uneral-it was the first "midnight" sale of an album, which will never happen again because of album leaks

Remember when the release was pushed back a few months. I thought that I was devastated. Young, dumb, and all ...

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2008, 07:33:50 AM »

At this point, probably not. It's not going to sell the same number of albums that AFD did and that's what the press will compare it to. Some will be fair... Maybe... But if it doesn't recoup the money it cost to make it it will be considered a failure. No matter how many albums CD really is, 3-4,  the first one is going to be the one and only one they count.

There's not even a climate in music for a band to be that big again. Just the fact that GNR was that big once is a huge deal. Not many bands are ever that big, and even fewer stay that way. If he makes a good album that's all that's going to matter.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »

if dl sales is added in, who knows.
at least  as many music lovers, if not more than those in the 80s, will hear it, have it and love it, I reckon.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »

I think in 1988 the majority of Guns fanbase were probably in high school-I should know-I was one Wink

I was also and I was at many GNR shows ,... Felt Forum, RItz, Sundance.. and yes back then in HS I didnt get home till almost 3am.lol  Its not a new thing.. its been the case , so if you dont like it cant deal with it, its not the band for you.

The toipc is can they get back to where they were in 88 through 91 basically-like it or not, the record label and management are not worried about people on this board, and marketing Guns N Roses towards people here, who will buy the album, they are going towards general music fans, hard rock fans, and right now Guns has lost a lot of fans in the last decade for a variety of reasons

libertad
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »

I bet there are more fans now than in early 1987.
overmatik
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »

Things will never be as they used to be, the industry has destroyed music as we've known. Bands are born and die in a flash, and almost all new groups are based in formulas. Really, these are sad times for one that remembers how music used to be in the 80's and 90's...
yent
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »

Ok, I barely ever post here....

But here's my two cents. The album could quite possibly be a real big seller, and become real popular.

Even though the music world seems to get more and more diverse and the fan base is spread more thinly than in the beatles days; now a days there is a huge demand for older bands.

The Travelling Willbury's re-issue went to number 1, Bob Dylan's latest album went to number 1.

This is for two reasons I think; the older music is good... but also because these albums appeal to people who arn't into whatever new stuff is pumped out every 6 months, how the hell can older people hope to understand what an Emo is let alone like the music when you know in a year or so the whole fad will be gone and some new baby faced person will be pumping out some random style of music that people who are just going through puberty suddenly think is the style of music.

People who don't normally buy new CDs will buy a Guns n Roses CD, because they know the band. Plus from what I've heard the new songs are good, and studio versions will be better. Bob Dylan to me is one of the few old time artist to really release a recent CD that has had thought put into, and his CD got high critical aclaim and had good sales.

SO many of the nostalga acts like Led Zepplin, Van Hallen etc, got together for a few random shows, just for fun or revenue or whatever. Alot of reunited groups release a hurried CD that is mediocre at best. We know better than anyone the work that Axl has been putting into this, so hopefully it should get a good reception.

Don't forget however that most people who arn't as fanatical as us still know Axl has been working on a CD for 12 years as every 6 months or so it comes out in the news. At the end of the day I think it will most probably sell quite well, unless the reception to singles on the radio is luke warm. But like I say there will still be that generation that doesn't buy CDs that often who will go out and buy it cause there arn't many groups they remember putting out CDs; plus Guns is still cool with the younger generation.....

that's my two cents......
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »

Things will never be as they used to be, the industry has destroyed music as we've known. Bands are born and die in a flash, and almost all new groups are based in formulas. Really, these are sad times for one that remembers how music used to be in the 80's and 90's...

Not if you know where to look.

And there goes the challenger...
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »

I still get frustrated at people's comments and expectations of the current lineup.

Nobody ever intended for the current lineup to replace the legacy and history of the 'classic' lineup. These guys in the band now are all unique individuals with their own history and talent.

They should not be unfairly criticized until the new albums come out and people hear the NEW band play THEIR NEW SONGS.

I'm sure if he could have it his way, Axl would drop all of the old material from the setlist, but he just as easily knows people are still interested in GNR to hear 'the voice' singing the 'classic songs'. So, in that case, the new guys are just doing their job, and they may not have 'the magic' of the old lineup - because they ARE NOT the old lineup.

If I'm at any gnr show I already know the next day I'm going to be a broke dick dog at work....but it's a small price to pay for seeing your favorite band!!!  I say deal with it.  The shows we go to are far and few between.

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
yent
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »

Oh yeah and as for the whole 'the music industry now a days, la de da de da...'

Does anyone remeber the monkeys? There have always been crappy groups that were put together on formulars and marketing..... The thing is we only remember the groups which were genuine, there are plenty of groups from the 90's and new milenium which will have a respectable legacy in the future and when the future peoples look back will say that the music then was better........

Many people say that right now there is a new renaissance in music, in that people are veering away from mass produced stuff and live shows are becomign more important again etc. When the beatles and Hendrix were paving the way for modern rock there were tons of shitty little groups that entertained the younger teenagers with cheesy gingles as they adapted their taste in music.... They even had a name for them back then... teenie-boppers.

The thing people have to remember is a seasoned taste in music has to come with time. Younger people will latch on to the simpler more conjestible fad music that is marketed to them and their taste will evolve.

So my point; people have always been saying that today's music has nothing on the older music and the industry has gone down hill etc.....  When in reality most perceived vices in the industry have always existed....
Yent
out

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2008, 03:19:31 AM »

Hell, there is probably more fans now than there was in the spring of 88.

Oh yeah and as for the whole 'the music industry now a days, la de da de da...'

Does anyone remeber the monkeys? There have always been crappy groups that were put together on formulars and marketing.....

Yeah, but "The Monkees" were a TV show that was marketed for kids, and it was wildly successful in the demographics that was it's target. Their music was secondary.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »

So b/c you heard someone playing Civil War in their car in Mexico, CD will sell millions?? Huh

If you say so Tongue
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »

that may be true, but not late in late  1988 Shocked
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2008, 11:57:51 AM »

Hi G&R folks. Just arrived.

Hi BSR and welcome to the board.

If there is a mystical thing called magic, the first line up was it. Now I haven't heard the current line up in concert so I don't want to be judgemental. I did hear that it was a very professional concert but lacked that magic.

Well everyone's entitled to their opinion and whether or not you feel a certain line-up has that all important chemistry is highly subjective, but I can assure you that I felt that the 2006/7 line-up had something pretty special going for it.  I've seen various line-ups of this band and this one ranks up there alongside the best.

Anyway, hopefully you'll get the chance to see and hear for yourself in the not too distant future.   ok
Thanks......I'm looking forward to them performing as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: