Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:35:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228560 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 787796 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #4280 on: December 04, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

i agree - it was the songs and not robin that would pop the crowds at live shows.  he's a mediocre guitarist at best and clearly showed he nothing more than a riff-man.  sure, his work on cd is great, but c'mon already if you think he's irreplaceable

If Robin were still in GN'R and was touring with them now, would you all be saying how he sucks?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4281 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »

Robin is not irreplaceable, but his sound is pretty distinctive.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #4282 on: December 04, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »

Robin is not irreplaceable, but his sound is pretty distinctive.
Grabbing a cat by the tail and twirling it over your head also produces a distinctive sound.  hihi

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #4283 on: December 04, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »

i agree - it was the songs and not robin that would pop the crowds at live shows.  he's a mediocre guitarist at best and clearly showed he nothing more than a riff-man.  sure, his work on cd is great, but c'mon already if you think he's irreplaceable
I don't think Trent Reznor and Axl Rose would both hold a "mediocre guitarist" in such high regard.  No doubt he's not irreplaceable.  I'd just like to have as many guys in the band as possible who were a part of the album.  Of course given the choice I'd take Buckethead in a heartbeat over Robin.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeraldFord
« Reply #4284 on: December 04, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »

I guess 2001/2002 was the "real 'nu' GN'R" and if they tour without Buckethead and Finck it will just be a "cover band"  crying.
axl32rose
Rocker

Heading to 3 GNR Shows in 2010.

« Reply #4285 on: December 04, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »

I can't believe what this thread grew into!!   Unreal!!!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #4286 on: December 04, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »

Listen Robin is out of GnR for the time being ! the door is left open if he wants to comeback. Those who say Robin is a terrible guitarist and his solo's are crap, don't know what their talking about.

Robin's playing is built on feel and emotion, when listening to his solo live in 06 it was great !  you can capture the feel and melody and emotion with every note he hit. Along with his expressions on stage he really feels the music and its apart of him.  I will take that any day over Buckethead, slash ect.  There's a uniqueness about Robin and his playing that you don't find that often.  His stage presence is probaly the best i've seen, his outfits, the way he just commands the stage is just awesome.

I know some of you think its sloppy ect but I find it rather moving and I feel as listening to him play it's pure beauty.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #4287 on: December 04, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »

since your all on the subject of Trent's music, I personally think his music suck big dicks unlike Axls music... Grin

As far as Robin goes, his communication skills are not his, there taught... Robin is not being Robin, sounds to me he's been influenced to do otherwise... it's really sad when some people self sabotage themselves.

I too, hope he comes back!       
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:13:15 PM by Luigi » Logged

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4288 on: December 04, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »

Axl even pretty much said he was limited in that RS interview after he left.

Im not saying he sucks. He obviously doesn't "Suck" but he is nowhere near a rock god or a guitar hero.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #4289 on: December 04, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »

"are you listening mr security man? that guy! outta here....GONE!"

rofl

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Henson
Headliner

Need to see a revival tonight...

« Reply #4290 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »

Opinions. 
This thread is constantly recycled into the same circle:
"Is he out?
Is he in?
I don't care.
He sucks.
I could do better..."

Viewing the egoism in this thread makes me wonder why Axl hasn't called any of you up for the job!
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #4291 on: December 04, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »

^ i just haven't returned the calls... i've been busy.

but i do agree... its over 200 pages of the same shit...

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #4292 on: December 04, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »

I dont know if this is official or not but:

12/04/08 7:24 AM

trent_reznor

... was it something I said? Wow.

For the record - Robin is not leaving the band.

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,278719,page=27

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #4293 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »

I dont know if this is official or not but:

12/04/08 7:24 AM

trent_reznor

... was it something I said? Wow.

For the record - Robin is not leaving the band.

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,278719,page=27

Which may be indicative of nothing. No reason why he couldn't simultaneously be a member of both Guns N' Roses and NIN (in fact that could very well have been his status "all along"). He could conceivably tour with GN'R without "leaving" NIN- especially if Trent is interested in going solo for a little while. I really hope that Trent and Axl/mgmt. finally work something out here with Robin... otherwise they're going to be constantly driving each other nuts and throwing wrenches into each other's touring plans (although NIN has far greater flexibility to change their line-up from tour to tour IMHO)- which makes no sense for either party.

Anyway, I'm moderately hopeful now that Robin will be back. I always took note of the fact that Jarmo never took Robin down from the band member biographies page.

Let's hope he's back. Definitely helps to have one of the stand-out players on the album in the touring band.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:43:46 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #4294 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:27 PM »

Has Robin ever given an interview in person?

Closest thing I've ever seen (from May 2000):

Guitarist Says GN'R Album Is Still in Limbo

With the release of the song "Oh My God" on the End of Days soundtrack last November, Axl Rose fans had some hope that the fabled new Guns N' Roses album, Chinese Democracy, might soon see the light of day. Better keep hoping.

"There's not a release date right now, not that I'm aware of," says Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, who teamed with Rose for much of the album before quitting in frustration. "And I would know."

A publicity spokesperson at Interscope Records, GN'R's label, confirmed that the album does not currently appear on the schedule of upcoming releases for 2000, even as a title TBD (with release date "to be determined").

Finck laughs at a comparison to Brian Wilson's legendary Beach Boys album, Smile, and notes the similarities. (Wilson worked feverishly on the record throughout the mid-'60s but was never able to coherently complete it. It remains one of the great lost albums of rock.)

"Yeah," Finck chuckles. "It was great for a while, but then it became terribly frustrating not seeing anything completed because no lyrics were finished." Adding to the frustration was that Finck had passed on the chance to work with Trent Reznor on NIN's latest, The Fragile, in order to do the Rose sessions.

"It's one of the reasons I'm not there anymore. No one song was ever completed ? and I was there for two and a half years."

But even after working endlessly on the GN'R album, Finck is unable to speculate on how it's going to turn out.

"I'd helped write and arrange and recorded enough songs for several records," he says. "Honestly, we recorded so many different song ideas and completed so many different types of songs ? from quiet, very simple traditional piano songs to 16 stereo tracks of keyboard blur and everything in between."

But, he notes, "most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven."

Finck has heard little since then from Rose, who is the only remaining member of the Guns N' Roses lineup after buying the rights to the name from former guitarist Slash.

"When he finishes the lyrics, I assume [the songs] are going to be released," Finck says. "I hope they turn out great. There's a lot of potential there."

- Mark Brown

Source(s): http://wallofsound.go.com/

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #4295 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »

fuck trent reznor in his black heart.  he's a son of a bitch egotistical fuckhead who broke up the next great frontman / guitarist combo.  if he didn't do this, then maybe axl would have been able to promote the album more and tour right away and play on all the major shows.  trent reznor is a fucking asshole because it seems to be fun for him to torture axl and gnr fans.  but the truth is nobody cares about him anymore.  he's a has been.  nin sucks and will suck forever.  hope robin has fun selling his soul and disappointing rock fans around the world.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #4296 on: December 04, 2008, 11:14:46 PM »

fuck trent reznor in his black heart.  he's a son of a bitch egotistical fuckhead who broke up the next great frontman / guitarist combo.  if he didn't do this, then maybe axl would have been able to promote the album more and tour right away and play on all the major shows.  trent reznor is a fucking asshole because it seems to be fun for him to torture axl and gnr fans.  but the truth is nobody cares about him anymore.  he's a has been.  nin sucks and will suck forever.  hope robin has fun selling his soul and disappointing rock fans around the world.

Sir take a deep breath .... Count to three .

Now do you feel better???

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #4297 on: December 04, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »

Has Robin ever given an interview in person?

Closest thing I've ever seen (from May 2000):

Guitarist Says GN'R Album Is Still in Limbo

With the release of the song "Oh My God" on the End of Days soundtrack last November, Axl Rose fans had some hope that the fabled new Guns N' Roses album, Chinese Democracy, might soon see the light of day. Better keep hoping.

"There's not a release date right now, not that I'm aware of," says Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, who teamed with Rose for much of the album before quitting in frustration. "And I would know."

A publicity spokesperson at Interscope Records, GN'R's label, confirmed that the album does not currently appear on the schedule of upcoming releases for 2000, even as a title TBD (with release date "to be determined").

Finck laughs at a comparison to Brian Wilson's legendary Beach Boys album, Smile, and notes the similarities. (Wilson worked feverishly on the record throughout the mid-'60s but was never able to coherently complete it. It remains one of the great lost albums of rock.)

"Yeah," Finck chuckles. "It was great for a while, but then it became terribly frustrating not seeing anything completed because no lyrics were finished." Adding to the frustration was that Finck had passed on the chance to work with Trent Reznor on NIN's latest, The Fragile, in order to do the Rose sessions.

"It's one of the reasons I'm not there anymore. No one song was ever completed ? and I was there for two and a half years."

But even after working endlessly on the GN'R album, Finck is unable to speculate on how it's going to turn out.

"I'd helped write and arrange and recorded enough songs for several records," he says. "Honestly, we recorded so many different song ideas and completed so many different types of songs ? from quiet, very simple traditional piano songs to 16 stereo tracks of keyboard blur and everything in between."

But, he notes, "most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven."

Finck has heard little since then from Rose, who is the only remaining member of the Guns N' Roses lineup after buying the rights to the name from former guitarist Slash.

"When he finishes the lyrics, I assume [the songs] are going to be released," Finck says. "I hope they turn out great. There's a lot of potential there."

- Mark Brown

Source(s): http://wallofsound.go.com/

aDz used to have a finck site with a couple of full length interviews robin did, but it went offline last year.
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #4298 on: December 05, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »

Reznor didn't do anything Finck made up his own mind. Stop dragging NIN into this. For the record Axl was a huge NIN fan and tried poorly to recreate their sound on My World. If Axl wants you to jump off a bridge will you do that as well? Get a grip man.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #4299 on: December 05, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »

My god, face facts people.

Oh, and Robin's a big boy. I'm sure he makes his own decisions and wasn't 'stolen' by anyone.

And there goes the challenger...
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: