Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 10:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228157 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 748383 times)
manicstreet
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2920 on: June 26, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »

MAybe it has nothing to do with songwriting credits but everything to do with his love of playing in front of an audience? I think that has got to be the hardest part of being in Guns. They have done 2 tours and a few 1 off dates since Robin joined in 1996 or so. So just maybe, just maybe Robin will be back. But if you ask me he is gone, because it would look terrible when your lead guitarist is the lead guitarist in arguably a more popular band (at least in the U.S.).
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2921 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »

in 2006/2007, outside of the us nin would play in front of 2000 audience(like vr) while GNr 10000~20000.....

By any means I'm not saying popularity is everything.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2922 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »

Gn'r are not an active band by all means. they pulled off sucessful tours, but their past is the only thing building their name.

and yes Jarmo, i'm aware of how things work in NIN, and i do believe Robin feels strong and proud about what he's done in GN'R, he gave Gn'r 10 years of his life. it's not easy for an artist to spend so much time in a project, specially if he can't even show it to the world, if his heart is not in it. I for one don't doubt Robin's Love for Gn'R and i hope his contribution to the band isn't over, because Chinese Democracy is his baby as well.

But at the end of the day a musician strives for live performances and making things happen.

All i'm saying is if, and let me make it clear on the IF, if he choses to leave Gn'r over NIN, i can't understand why and i don't think he should be faulted. for one i think he may have more patience than anyone i know, and he sure as hell as put up with a lot more than the original members, 10 years of doing nothing but studio and the occasional tour seems like a nightmare to any artist.

In NIN things happen at a totally different pace, regardless of the conditions that lead to a speeedier process on making and putting out a record.

i love Robin, i really do. i think his presence and performance in Gn'r are Incendiary. i don't even care much for NIN. but at the end of the day it's his Job, not mine. he obviously likes it and i can see why. they are a great band with a huge following, they are making a whole lotta money and they are very influencial. it seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

And even if he's just touring with them for the time being, i think it's awesome for robin to jump on board of two great bands with that ease. i don't see many artists pulling that off. That just show's how his talent is recognized.

Just like that other guy was saying, Robin's such a great guy he can jump from band to band without causing bad blood.

i haven't met robin in person but from what i can tell, he's the real deal and really nice guy.

i don't get why everyone is giving him a bad time when they should be happy for him, he gave us much joy in the past, let him chose his future.

Good post!  Agree with what you are saying.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2923 on: June 26, 2008, 01:08:12 PM »

Robin is NOT in NIN.

NIN doesn't work that way. He's a hired musician... plain and simple. Does Trent like him? Yes. Is he a member of NIN? No. Trent is NIN. No one else.

Touring/recording members come and go. Robin is just another... he ain't the first.

So what is Robin in GN'R?  Sounds like the same thing.  Axl is GN'R right? 
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2924 on: June 26, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »

MAybe it has nothing to do with songwriting credits but everything to do with his love of playing in front of an audience?

all too often people fail to take this into account.   its all about songwriting to some.     to others, its just about going out and performing. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2925 on: June 26, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »

Robin is NOT in NIN.

NIN doesn't work that way. He's a hired musician... plain and simple. Does Trent like him? Yes. Is he a member of NIN? No. Trent is NIN. No one else.

Touring/recording members come and go. Robin is just another... he ain't the first.

So what is Robin in GN'R?  Sounds like the same thing.  Axl is GN'R right? 

wrong GNR is the band axl leads from the day one.
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #2926 on: June 26, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

i don't get why everyone is giving him a bad time

I don't care about someone's personality or how much of a nice guy he is...he just plays off key most times live, so I don't care about him  peace

This signature is very funny.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2927 on: June 26, 2008, 01:27:26 PM »

just like I don't mind if  GNR doesn't care about you. nice and mutual
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2928 on: June 26, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »

i don't get why everyone is giving him a bad time

I don't care about someone's personality or how much of a nice guy he is...he just plays off key most times live, so I don't care about him  peace

you must be talking about someone else.   I'm sorry but the fact that the guy is wanted in both NIN and GnR currently shows he is a highly-sought professional and he is regarded as one of the best at what he does.   
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2929 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »

i agree. robin is great. maybe it's not that he's off... it may be just you.  no

and sloppy players btw... are some of the greatest we have ever had...

jimmy page, slash, jimi hendrix, and stevie ray vaughn... all "sloppy" players that hit more than a few sour notes every once in a while.
 ok
Pine Barrens
« Reply #2930 on: June 26, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

i agree. robin is great. maybe it's not that he's off... it may be just you.  no

jimmy page, slash, jimi hendrix, and stevie ray vaughn... all "sloppy" players that hit more than a few sour notes every once in a while.
 ok

Well put.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2931 on: June 26, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »

In the past you would be correct however, since returning he has written on Ghosts and on the Slip.

No, he performed on the latter. No writing credits.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Tatiana Kudrin
Soak The Sin
Rocker

« Reply #2932 on: June 26, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »

How can anyone say that as an artist, robin is better off in nin?  Huh

He does bring something to NIN.. He's free to work on guitar parts so they don't sound like on NIN albums..It's all about understanding NIN. NIN have always been two distinct things. The album version on one hand, the live version on the other hand. If you think Robin is there to play songs so they sound like the album version, you're really wrong. He's there to make them great live, and he definitely adds something to them. An artist isn't necessarily someone who writes his own stuff, imo. An artist is someone who can interpret and make songs his own, you know, use his universe to make songs sound better or different. No need to write your own stuff to be an artist... Being an artist means using yur own universe but be able to fit in someone else's universe too. Robin can definitely do that.

Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #2933 on: June 26, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »

ok

Mentioning Page and Hendrix together with Finck....just wow.

They weren't sloppy all the time....Finck is. And it is very noticable if you hear him beside Fortus (compare the NR solos), who is the best player in GnR at the moment to me. Fortus should get all leads in my opinion, he ripssss.

Finck is a professional performer, meaning he knows how to connect with the audience with his moves, stage presence and stuff, but his lead playing? Come on now....

It's not just me, I have been to a few shows now and was there with at least a half a dozen friends always..they all said it. Maybe we all are hearing it then and the Finck fans have better ears  peace

gearbm95
Opening Act

« Reply #2934 on: June 26, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »

Robin's style is more better suited for NIN. As most of had said he is very sloppy and from anyone who has seen both GNR and NIN live they can tell you they're two COMPLETELY different shows.

GNR shows(new era lineup) are very rehearsed, with a very strict setlist and "script" at every show, they pride themselves on being perfect and sounding top-notch. Whereas NIn shows are very spontaneous and in-your-face. Even though NIN has a huge production they play around 40 songs a tour, mixing in new songs throughout the shows. The loud, aggressive, industrial sound is better suited to Robin's style because you can't really decipher the mistakes or sloppiness, a lot of it is hidden by the synth.

The on-stage chemistry is also very different between the 2 bands. GNR is about grabbing the spotlight and rocking the fuck out. NIN is about doing as much damage to the stage, instruments, and each other as humanly possible. During the And All That Could Have Been and Closure DVD's you can see Trent pushing Robin off the stage, tripping him, hitting him with keyboards, etc. Its a very different beast, I mean Trent busted open Chris Vrenna's head with a mic stand, requiring like 25 stitches in the middle of the show and he just kept playing. Both are good it's just Robin is better suited for NIN.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #2935 on: June 26, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

How can anyone say that as an artist, robin is better off in nin?  Huh

He does bring something to NIN.. He's free to work on guitar parts so they don't sound like on NIN albums..It's all about understanding NIN. NIN have always been two distinct things. The album version on one hand, the live version on the other hand. If you think Robin is there to play songs so they sound like the album version, you're really wrong. He's there to make them great live, and he definitely adds something to them. An artist isn't necessarily someone who writes his own stuff, imo. An artist is someone who can interpret and make songs his own, you know, use his universe to make songs sound better or different. No need to write your own stuff to be an artist... Being an artist means using yur own universe but be able to fit in someone else's universe too. Robin can definitely do that.

I understand what you're saying but the point I was trying to make was that with GNR robin had the best of both worlds.  He could add his own touch to the classic material while being able to showcase is own contributions to the evolution of GNR.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2936 on: June 27, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »

^ I agree, Gypsy. Also, what he can add to the classics on GNR is much more (because of more guitar work needed).

They weren't sloppy all the time....Finck is. And it is very noticable if you hear him beside Fortus (compare the NR solos), who is the best player in GnR at the moment to me. Fortus should get all leads in my opinion, he ripssss.
I'm glad your opinion doesn't mean shit to GNR. peace

Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #2937 on: June 27, 2008, 10:37:21 AM »

^ I agree, Gypsy. Also, what he can add to the classics on GNR is much more (because of more guitar work needed).

I'm glad your opinion doesn't mean shit to GNR. peace

Yours means a lot obviously  peace

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #2938 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »

Yours means a lot obviously  peace

Can't you go be a douchebag somewhere else?
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #2939 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:08 PM »

NIN posted that there south american dates will be oct-mid oct, so im sure robin can do his promotion on CD if at that time the album is out or ready to be put out.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: