Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 11:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 747680 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2020 on: May 05, 2008, 11:45:19 PM »

Read it again ok

Rose: We're hoping. Yes, definitely, everything seems to be going well. Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected...

Loder: He just wanted to get back to Nine Inch Nails, right?

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit. Dave came in and did something great on "Oh My God," and we've had a few other people come in, so that was a setback for a while, but then it's turned out to be a good thing.

Robin doesnt sound too irreplaceable to me.

Abrupt and not expected, which is exactly what I said.  Nothing in the rest of the quote is what I would call bashing in any way, shape or form.  He even says "Robin did a great job."

No offense, but perhaps you are the one that needs to read that passage again.  Or perhaps reconsider your definition of the word "bash".

Ali

Dude, he brought in another guitar player that UPPED THE ANTE

That is a polite way of saying Robin's skill wasnt up to Snuff.

I am a guitar player and if my band wanted to bring in another guitar player to "UP THE ANTE" Id be pissed cause that basically means I cant give them what they need and want so they have to find someone who can.

No, that's not necessarily what it means.  It just means that maybe Robin's style wasn't a good fit for certain songs.  Again, he said "Robin did a great job", and none of what he said was "bashing".

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2021 on: May 05, 2008, 11:46:33 PM »

I guess Axl didnt want to start over again so he is tolerant. Still doesnt change the fact that Robin is a trader who ran back to Trent who completely bashed him and talked complete shit about him.

I cant help if Axl himself made Robin seem, maybe not up to the standard.

When I listen to him play, I know exactly what he is talkin about uppin the ante.

Its no secret I am not a fan of his playing. I think he is a cool guy and his style is what it is, not my flavor or taste though. So if he does leave, I wont be devastated.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Snafu
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #2022 on: May 05, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »

I always thought this was another pretty interesting line Axl said regarding Robin:

"Robin Finck was on lead guitar, but that... that will stay on some of it. Robin's guitar will stay on some, but not all. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out."

If Axl had the perfect guitar player, why not let him shine throughout all the songs? Establish himself as GN'R lead guitar player. Instead he was being forced to share the spotlight with a guy who had walked out of the band 4 years ago?  Roll Eyes

I don't think Axl ever really saw Robin as the "guitar hero" that he was really looking for. I mean, I think Axl looked at Robin as a loyal live / session player, but it's obvious Axl didn't look at him in the same light that he looked at a couple of his previous guitar players.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2023 on: May 05, 2008, 11:47:51 PM »

Read it again ok

Rose: We're hoping. Yes, definitely, everything seems to be going well. Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected...

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit. Dave came in and did something great on "Oh My God," and we've had a few other people come in, so that was a setback for a while, but then it's turned out to be a good thing.

Abrupt and not expected, which is exactly what I said.  Nothing in the rest of the quote is what I would call bashing in any way, shape or form.  He even says "Robin did a great job."

No offense, but perhaps you are the one that needs to read that passage again.  Or perhaps reconsider your definition of the word "bash".

Ali

I am a guitar player and if my band wanted to bring in another guitar player to "UP THE ANTE" Id be pissed cause that basically means I cant give them what they need and want so they have to find someone who can.

No, that's not necessarily what it means.  It just means that maybe Robin's style wasn't a good fit for certain songs.  Again, he said "Robin did a great job", and none of what he said was "bashing".

Ali

Bashing was a little harsh but he does make it sound like he isnt as good as Dave Navarro. I mean Dave is a good player and all, but if u arent even up to Dave Navarro's level, how are u gonna replace GNR legends?

Ali
Legend

« Reply #2024 on: May 05, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »

Ali, Axl was basically calling Robin "limited" and saying he didn't want to hurt his feelings about not taking the songs to another level and bringing in other guys was a good thing.  That isn't high praise for Robin.

Each guitar player has their own style, which may or may not be a good fit for certain songs.  That's no indictment of Robin's ability whatsoever, just a comment on his style and its fit with the songs the band had written.

And if that was such an indictment of Robin's ability, then why the hell did Robin agree to come back?

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #2025 on: May 05, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »

Read it again ok

Ali

Ali

Bashing was a little harsh but he does make it sound like he isnt as good as Dave Navarro. I mean Dave is a good player and all, but if u arent even up to Dave Navarro's level, how are u gonna replace GNR legends?

Again, I don't see it as a matter of ability or lack thereof.  It's a matter of style and how that fits for certain songs.  There aren't a lot of singers who can sing GN'R songs, that doesn't mean that they're bad singers, just not good fits for that material.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2026 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:36 PM »

Yeah but a great guitar player can fit any style.

take Prince for example

Regardless of the style he can master it

If Robin is one dimensional, thats not good

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2027 on: May 06, 2008, 12:05:37 AM »

Again, I don't see it as a matter of ability or lack thereof.  It's a matter of style and how that fits for certain songs.  There aren't a lot of singers who can sing GN'R songs, that doesn't mean that they're bad singers, just not good fits for that material.

Ali

good post.   One of my favorite things about GnR is how it has the 3 guitar lineup and each guy has his own unique style and brings his own thing to the table.    If Axl truly didn't feel Robin was up to par, I don't think he would have allowed him back in the band, and allowed him to play the biggest chunk of the lead guitar on the old material.    If Robin was so replaceable and Axl could get someone way better, why didn't he?     

Lets not kid ourselves, we know exactly why these same people bashing Robin are bashing him because they've been coming to these boards to do it for years.

one dimensional?  are you fucking kidding me?    you obviously haven't given the guy a fair shot.   What he does in NIN and what he does in GnR are night and day.   Its one thing to not care for his style, but he is in no way a one dimensional player.

watch what he does towards the end of this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-rwMBgWG0

more NIN, doesnt even resemble how he plays in GnR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WIpUu5iIIs

then he can turn around and do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjq86WExAY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_PcIjmq95w

far from one-dimensional
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #2028 on: May 06, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »

it's dumb to say for one second that robin is anything less than amazing. if he is in gnr or anywhere else.  Slash is not steve vai or buckethead either but he's still a guitar god as is robin fink.  Robin has a very cool style. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #2029 on: May 06, 2008, 12:10:38 AM »

Yeah but a great guitar player can fit any style.

take Prince for example

Regardless of the style he can master it

Prince is the exception, not the rule.  Everyone has limitations and strengths.  That's all I see it as.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2030 on: May 06, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »

I just cant get over his horrible guitar solos before SCOM. those were ridiculously amateurish bad.

The guy has to prove that he can write amazing stuff consistently.

Better is great but thats all I've been impressed by.

So till CD comes out, The jury is still out for me.

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #2031 on: May 06, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

dude you worship JBJ
your standards are very wicked

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #2032 on: May 06, 2008, 12:23:19 AM »

I just cant get over his horrible guitar solos before SCOM. those were ridiculously amateurish bad.
I was at this show and this pre-scom solo was one the highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq80HhFp11o

and then this was pretty fucking sweet.  far from amateurish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGg3DE40LU

touring relentlessly with 2 of the biggest bands of our time isn't good enough for you?   

Finck is one of the best live guitarists of this era.   The fact that he is going back and forth between two of this era's most notorious perfectionists and frontmen should tell you something.

dude you worship JBJ
ouch  smoking
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2033 on: May 06, 2008, 12:44:47 AM »

I dont have to defend JBJ to anyone

I think his career and success speak for itself.

TOURING and playing OTHER people's shit

and writing your own shit are two astronomically different things.

anyone can play other people's shit

writing your own memorable legendary iconic shit is a far different animal

he has yet to prove that seeing as he has written as many legendary songs as I have.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #2034 on: May 06, 2008, 12:55:01 AM »

I was at this show and this pre-scom solo was one the highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq80HhFp11o

and then this was pretty fucking sweet.  far from amateurish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGg3DE40LU

touring relentlessly with 2 of the biggest bands of our time isn't good enough for you?   

Finck is one of the best live guitarists of this era.   The fact that he is going back and forth between two of this era's most notorious perfectionists and frontmen should tell you something.

dude you worship JBJ
ouch  smoking

I Agree Man...

beer

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2035 on: May 06, 2008, 01:07:24 AM »

This thread is a fucking broken record of threads from the past years.

When CD comes out, I will give the guy credit if I like what HE has written

Until then, I am reserving judgement. Im not  fan of his style though and dont like his live playing of old GNR

thats my opinion. Im not a hater or a troll or a basher, its just my honest feeling

I just wish if this were truly GNR, they'd be GNR and not fractions of a bunch of other bands

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #2036 on: May 06, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »

Until then, I am reserving judgement. Im not  fan of his style though and dont like his live playing of old GNR

thats my opinion. Im not a hater or a troll or a basher, its just my honest feeling

I just wish if this were truly GNR, they'd be GNR and not fractions of a bunch of other bands

the broken record is your whining about how things aren't how you wish.   crying

you want these guys to sit around and do nothing while they aren't needed for GnR?    I for one am glad that I might get to see a few of these guys doing their thing this summer despite the fact its not with the band.

If these guys were needed right now, they wouldnt' all be out doing their own things.   Thats not their fault.  right now its in the hands of the record company.   Why don't you call Universal up and whine to them the way you do here.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #2037 on: May 06, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »

Thank you for your comments... back soon, we will be waiting with open arms.

beer

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2038 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »

Ill be seeing Robin in August in Knoxville and I will cheer him on

Im not postin anymore in these kinds of threads. I get too pissed off at Jim Bob......... That dude pushes my buttons like nobody ive ever known.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #2039 on: May 06, 2008, 01:57:43 AM »

Im not postin anymore in these kinds of threads. I get too pissed off at Jim Bob......... That dude pushes my buttons like nobody ive ever known.

how can you let a guy who thinks Bfoot is "far superior" than SLash push your buttons?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: