Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 09:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 747633 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2000 on: May 05, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »

I guess I have always subscribed ot the James Hetfield, U are in Metallica or u arent philosophy.

I believe guys should stay in the band they are in and not go back and forth.

I think he fits better with NIN than GNR.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2001 on: May 05, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »

I guess I have always subscribed ot the James Hetfield, U are in Metallica or u arent philosophy.

I believe guys should stay in the band they are in and not go back and forth.

These bands aren't metallica.   And I personally think he fits better in GnR with Axl, Tommy, Richard.. great chemistry in this band.    Although he is amazing in NIN too.
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2002 on: May 05, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »

While I don't think this is PROOF that Robin is gone, it certainly points that way. It would make sense for him too. NIN are an active band, while GN'R are sporadic at best. Even if CD comes out, you're still looking at a tour that would be a setlist with 2/3 stuff that's Slash's. And then what? Another several years of silence? While NIN's material isn't Robin's he is known and respected in the NIN community as "the" guy for that band, who was the lead guitar player for their biggest tours with Self-Destruct and Fragility. All other NIN guitarists are judged by his standard. While in GN'R he's judged in comparison to Slash. And NIN are free and creatively productive, in all likelihood new NIN material will come out in 09 as well, if not late 08.

About Robin not having a writing credit on The Slip... well, yeah, but that doesn't mean he didn't write for it. Slash doesn't have writing credits for various Illusion tunes that obviously he helped create, all this means is that Robin didn't originate any of the tracks. As far as I know, all the major contributors to NIN in studio have never gotten writing credits (Lohner, Vrenna, Cortini).

And keep in mind, the last time Robin left GN'R for NIN he had no intention of coming back. Only NIN's hiatus and Trent's addictions pushed him back to Axl. Neither of those conditions appear likely to re-occur.

Good for Robin!! Hopefully he returns to GN'R when the time is right, but if not, I wish him the best of luck.

COMA & More.

HBK *

I didn't say he didn't have writing credits on the Illusions, I said he didn't have writing credits on VARIOUS Illusions; implying some, but not all. If you read my text instead of just making it bold, you'd have known that.

Friend, SLASH Is In various Credits On ILUSSON 1 & 2,,,

HBK *

Yes, I never said he wasn't. I said he's not on all that he plays on. Some of his performances, that clearly he wrote parts for (or at the very least solos) go uncredited. It doesn't mean Izzy or Tobias or Axl told him what to play on those tracks. And that's my point. Robin could have "Wwitten" the guitar parts for The Slip, and not been credited.

And to FunkyMonkey: As you see they needed to say that Aaron fit better. In that very quote, Trent is comparing Aaron in comparison to Robin. Of course, he claims he is better (not really though, all he actually says is that he pissed on Robin's shoes) to make it at the time seem like a good decision. He wouldn't ever claim that the new guy is a lesser player/performer than a guy who quit the band. If you can't see through that quote, you're rather dim.

That quote actually proves my point better than anything else could. There is a necessity to talk about Robin in comparison because he IS the nin guy and the fans know that. When Jeordie White and Allesandro came in, Trent didn't have to talk about them in relation to Lohner and Clouser - because they didn't own those positions the way Robin owned lead guitar. I think it's all fairly obvious.
Snafu
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #2003 on: May 05, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »

I feel exactly the same. I've seen Robin live 4 times with Axl and I never really sensed any real chemistry between the 2 of them. Robin and Trent seem to gel like peas in a pod, though. I personally think he's back where he belongs.

I'm curious to see who Axl will get to replace Robin. Hopefully someone who may be able to take the songs even further to the next level. Will be interesting.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #2004 on: May 05, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

I'm curious to see who Axl will get to replace Robin. Hopefully someone who may be able to take the songs even further to the next level. Will be interesting.

i'm sure if Robin leaves the band, they will cross that bridge.. but to speculate now is just being negative.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2005 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:33 PM »

Fell the Burn anyone? Roll Eyes

IMHO, people are just using it as an excuse to trash the band. It doesn't matter if the band is not speculating, people still do it and its always for the worse scenario.

precisely.   besides, Del confirmed that Robin's parts remain on the album regardless and he is supposed to have written and recorded 3-4 albums worth of songs.  drool

what's strange is that apparently more non robin fans/purists are now worrying about this than robin fans/current band pros.  hihi guess it's their attempt to drag the fans down.

I think its funny and kinda pathetic. People are trying any excuse to trash Robin and the band here. Its like vultures hoping for someone to die when all it has is a pretty old scar.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2006 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

And to FunkyMonkey: As you see they needed to say that Aaron fit better. In that very quote, Trent is comparing Aaron in comparison to Robin. Of course, he claims he is better (not really though, all he actually says is that he pissed on Robin's shoes) to make it at the time seem like a good decision. He wouldn't ever claim that the new guy is a lesser player/performer than a guy who quit the band. If you can't see through that quote, you're rather dim.

That quote actually proves my point better than anything else could. There is a necessity to talk about Robin in comparison because he IS the nin guy and the fans know that. When Jeordie White and Allesandro came in, Trent didn't have to talk about them in relation to Lohner and Clouser - because they didn't own those positions the way Robin owned lead guitar. I think it's all fairly obvious.

I agree he probably said it out of anger...but he said it.

And if you don't think "pissed on Robin's shoes" means he claims he is better, then maybe you're rather dim. Wink  Aaron North understood the question.

I also think it shows that we will have to wait to see how this plays out...anything could happen. ok
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:19:49 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #2007 on: May 05, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »

Fell the Burn anyone? Roll Eyes

most likely.. good guess.   possibly that bringbackadler character.    it could easily be either one.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2008 on: May 05, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

Just wonder if he does leave if Axl will bash him again?

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2009 on: May 05, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »

Just wonder if he does leave if Axl will bash him again?

Again?  When did Axl bash last time?

All I remember him saying to Kurt Loder was that it was abrupt and unexpected and that he was going to try and re-record some of his parts.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2010 on: May 05, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »

Read it again ok

Rose: We're hoping. Yes, definitely, everything seems to be going well. Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected...

Loder: He just wanted to get back to Nine Inch Nails, right?

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit. Dave came in and did something great on "Oh My God," and we've had a few other people come in, so that was a setback for a while, but then it's turned out to be a good thing.

Robin doesnt sound too irreplaceable to me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:17:50 PM by D » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2011 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »

He didn't exactly say that Dave "pissed on Robin's shoes" though.  At least he was a little nicer about it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2012 on: May 05, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »

Read it again ok

Rose: We're hoping. Yes, definitely, everything seems to be going well. Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected...

Rose: [continuing] ... but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. Robin did a great job, but we've been able to up the ante a little bit. Dave came in and did something great on "Oh My God," and we've had a few other people come in, so that was a setback for a while, but then it's turned out to be a good thing.

Abrupt and not expected, which is exactly what I said.  Nothing in the rest of the quote is what I would call bashing in any way, shape or form.  He even says "Robin did a great job."

No offense, but perhaps you are the one that needs to read that passage again.  Or perhaps reconsider your definition of the word "bash".

Ali
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2013 on: May 05, 2008, 09:46:03 PM »

Well he did say that other guys came in and were able to up the ante and take things a step further.  Again, it's not exactly "pissing on Robin's shoes", but he is implying that the guys he brought in brought MORE to the table.  Again, probably just said out of frustration at the time.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Snafu
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #2014 on: May 05, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »

I think this implies alot right here:

"We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther,  had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that."

hihi

I don't think it would take Axl much looking to find another guitar player who could "up the ante"  both live and in the studio.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2015 on: May 05, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »

obviously part of the enticement to robin was to appear on a NIN studio album...this is his first studio NIN album that he has appeared on am i right? still hes been there for like a month and already has more releases with NIN than he has had with a 10 year tenure in GnR? wtf no

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #2016 on: May 05, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »

Ali, Axl was basically calling Robin "limited" and saying he didn't want to hurt his feelings about not taking the songs to another level and bringing in other guys was a good thing.  That isn't high praise for Robin.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2017 on: May 05, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »

Ali, Axl was basically calling Robin "limited" and saying he didn't want to hurt his feelings about not taking the songs to another level and bringing in other guys was a good thing.  That isn't high praise for Robin.

maybe the album taking so long had nothing to do with Axl but everything to do with the fact his guitar players couldnt write great stuff?

Its possible

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2018 on: May 05, 2008, 11:31:45 PM »

Read it again ok

Abrupt and not expected, which is exactly what I said.  Nothing in the rest of the quote is what I would call bashing in any way, shape or form.  He even says "Robin did a great job."

No offense, but perhaps you are the one that needs to read that passage again.  Or perhaps reconsider your definition of the word "bash".

Ali

Dude, he brought in another guitar player that UPPED THE ANTE

That is a polite way of saying Robin's skill wasnt up to Snuff.

I am a guitar player and if my band wanted to bring in another guitar player to "UP THE ANTE" Id be pissed cause that basically means I cant give them what they need and want so they have to find someone who can.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #2019 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:03 PM »

you fucking haters can fuck off.  you are just looking to bash a guy whose been in this band for a decade now and has poured his heart and soul into 3-4 albums worth of material and toured multiple times all while maintaining the integrity of the GnR name.    Its always the same fucking people.    Especially the ones who keep coming under new usernames.

If Axl really thought Robin was inadequate for the band, he wouldnt' have allowed him to come back after the Fragility tour in 2000.     And judging from GnR's online statement last week, the door is still open for him.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: