Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 02:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 746571 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1980 on: May 05, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »

Once again there is a huge difference between what the other members are doing and what Robin is doing.

Robin is out with his original band and they are a HUGE band. It would be no different then Scott going back with STP and u see how that turned out right?

Dizzy, Richard etc are doing SIDE PROJECTS which  mean projects that are for fun and the music and are just something to do in the meantime.

RObin is doing something with a band right now maybe even on the same level as GNR and its just a completely different ballgame.

My point Jarmo is, saying Robin is going on tour with NIN on the main page isnt promoting NIN anymore than it promoted Soul Asylum when Tommy I think it was played with them.

In all the years of reading about Axl, one thing amongst many has always stood out.

Axl is a very loyal guy and if u cross him, u are pretty much dead to him

U think what Robin has done the last 10 years can be considered loyal? Quitting and going back to NIN, quitting NIN and coming back to GNR and now back to NIN?

It may be nothing and I hope that is the case, but people on here actin like there is nothing to worry about are fooling themselves.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilmour
Opening Act

« Reply #1981 on: May 05, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »

A record and a world tour in 2 months???

Wowww!!!!

That's a lot of work!!!! ok
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1982 on: May 05, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »

hopefully Robin will come back when Axl is ready to tour but I highly doubt it. Axl has left that door open for him but I just think he doesnt want to be in GNR anymore.

To compare Robins departure with Bfoot, FOrtus, Tommy, or Dizzy is dumb. They are side projects. NIN is not a side project. Trents dumb statements and Robins silence should speak volumes to you.

I personally think Robin is just tired of GNR. Its ashame and doesnt make sense but when you think about it I can slightly understand it. He was in GNR for over a decade. He has been run thru the mill in every way with this band. He has had some great times and some bad times. I doubt when he signed up he thought CD would take over a deceade to be released. He has helped make prob 4-5 albums worth of material over that time. He has toured the world and has stuck with Axl for as long as he posssibly could. Maybe he just wants to move on in life

It sucks for us, him, and the band but thats life I guess. You would think release on the horizon he could have found enough inspiration and or motivation to stick around. He prob made his choice early in 08. Maybe at that time CD and the release still had no plan so he said fuk it.

His departure is a hit for the band and some of the fans. It takes a lot out of the release. It would have been great to see Axl, Tommy, and Robin all stand by the material together after all of these years ater going thru all  the ups and downs.

More than anything Im really surprised that Robin hasnt given us the time of day yet on his decison. Its kind of a slap in the face. We have supported and embraced him for all of these years. An honest explanation of his decision would have went a long way. I didnt expect him to go this route. He didnt seem like that type of person.

He was part of the foundation. THe band no longer has an identity to support its forthcoming album. As Axl said at the Vmas, it takes a long time to rebuild something that was once great. He did that. He had 2 guitarists to lean on and an extremely talented band that could give old gnr a run for their money for a long time during this whole process. Now he has the album but not the band. Its been such a crazy ride, Its unreal.

Fortus is an excellent guitarist and his role was and is perfect. Bfoot is great as well. I like him a lot. But he nor Fortus, particularly Bfoot, are what Axl had in mind when he was writing his comeback script. And that is what Im referring to when I say the band has lost its identity and things become less and less special as members leave.

Yea the waiting has sucked over the years but I always knew that Axl had the right game plan and intentions. He was not only trying to make a great album but he was trying to find the right mix of people to make up another great GNR band. What sucks for me more than anything is that he had that. We actually saw him accomplish at least the latter part of that. We have seen him assemble a band from 2000-2004ish that could give old gnr a run for their money. He built something that could not only play but also had a swagger and image. He had a band that could the whiners and critics forget about Slash. Will the album live up to the hype? That remains to be seen. But soon does seem like the word. It just sucks now because the other half of of this is now fucked up. FOr the longest time it was the wait that was fucked up. Now, for me atleast, we are going to get the album, but there is a new fuck up.. the PERFECT band is no longer....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #1983 on: May 05, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »

"It's not done".

It is, and if you keep repeating that bullshit, you will get kicked out. Easy as that.

/jarmo

Since I wasn't really following this board's developments for a few weeks - from where do you (and therefore seemingly "we") definetely know that the album is definetely done - so sure that no other opinions are allowed?

Restraint is for suckers.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1984 on: May 05, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »

Axl is a very loyal guy and if u cross him, u are pretty much dead to him

U think what Robin has done the last 10 years can be considered loyal? Quitting and going back to NIN, quitting NIN and coming back to GNR and now back to NIN?

I understand what your saying D but I really dont think you can get on Robin for hist first departure back in the day

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1985 on: May 05, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »

is NIN robins original band? I don't think so.
Is NIN that huge? I'm not sure if it's bigger than x japan.

worry is waste of time. Does your worrying make any difference? Yea maybe it can gloom other fans.

"It's not done".

It is, and if you keep repeating that bullshit, you will get kicked out. Easy as that.

/jarmo

Since I wasn't really following this board's developments for a few weeks - from where do you (and therefore seemingly "we") definetely know that the album is definetely done - so sure that no other opinions are allowed?

opinion? that has been confirmed. Or is your opinion that you know about the album more than the band does Huh
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1986 on: May 05, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »

We're in negotiations for the release of Chinese Democracy and things are going well.

Guns N' Roses
April 2008

Axl said in his letter that minor additions and contract negotiations needed to be completed. The additions were done in early 2007.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #1987 on: May 05, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »

Ah ok, just wanted to know, if there has been any more than this in the last time.

Personally, I don't consider this combination of statements as a real confirmation either, but I take it you guys discussed this thing more than enough and at least I'm up to date.  Wink

Restraint is for suckers.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1988 on: May 05, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »

XJapan are in no way even remotely as big as NIN are u serious?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1989 on: May 05, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

XJapan are in no way even remotely as big as NIN are u serious?

i dont see why the popularity of a band has anything to do with it. 

Besides, NIN is a band like no other where its basically one person who is the creative force behind the band and typically he does 95% of the recordings and work on the album, and then he puts together a band to take it to the road.   Its never a consistant lineup.      He fired Twiggy and Aaron at the beginning of the year just to change things up.

I'm just tired of all the negative speculation.  We will see what happens and unless we get word from Robin or the band that he is no longer in the band, we have to assume that he is.   
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1990 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »

like I said I'm unsure about who's bigger and I am with jim bob but Isn't x japan playing @ msg?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:22:08 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1991 on: May 05, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

I don't think Tom Waits was smaller than NIN tho. Brain played with him before the 06 tour, didn't he?

Also, what's with this popularity shit? It's still about music. Izzy left the band for a low-profile way.

Robin didn't write anything on this new album anyways.

IMHO, people are just using it as an excuse to trash the band. It doesn't matter if the band is not speculating, people still do it and its always for the worse scenario.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1992 on: May 05, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »

IMHO, people are just using it as an excuse to trash the band. It doesn't matter if the band is not speculating, people still do it and its always for the worse scenario.

precisely.   besides, Del confirmed that Robin's parts remain on the album regardless and he is supposed to have written and recorded 3-4 albums worth of songs.  drool
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1993 on: May 05, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »

While I don't think this is PROOF that Robin is gone, it certainly points that way. It would make sense for him too. NIN are an active band, while GN'R are sporadic at best. Even if CD comes out, you're still looking at a tour that would be a setlist with 2/3 stuff that's Slash's. And then what? Another several years of silence? While NIN's material isn't Robin's he is known and respected in the NIN community as "the" guy for that band, who was the lead guitar player for their biggest tours with Self-Destruct and Fragility. All other NIN guitarists are judged by his standard. While in GN'R he's judged in comparison to Slash. And NIN are free and creatively productive, in all likelihood new NIN material will come out in 09 as well, if not late 08.

About Robin not having a writing credit on The Slip... well, yeah, but that doesn't mean he didn't write for it. Slash doesn't have writing credits for various Illusion tunes that obviously he helped create, all this means is that Robin didn't originate any of the tracks. As far as I know, all the major contributors to NIN in studio have never gotten writing credits (Lohner, Vrenna, Cortini).

And keep in mind, the last time Robin left GN'R for NIN he had no intention of coming back. Only NIN's hiatus and Trent's addictions pushed him back to Axl. Neither of those conditions appear likely to re-occur.

Good for Robin!! Hopefully he returns to GN'R when the time is right, but if not, I wish him the best of luck.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1994 on: May 05, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »

While I don't think this is PROOF that Robin is gone, it certainly points that way. It would make sense for him too. NIN are an active band, while GN'R are sporadic at best. Even if CD comes out, you're still looking at a tour that would be a setlist with 2/3 stuff that's Slash's. And then what? Another several years of silence? While NIN's material isn't Robin's he is known and respected in the NIN community as "the" guy for that band, who was the lead guitar player for their biggest tours with Self-Destruct and Fragility. All other NIN guitarists are judged by his standard. While in GN'R he's judged in comparison to Slash. And NIN are free and creatively productive, in all likelihood new NIN material will come out in 09 as well, if not late 08.

About Robin not having a writing credit on The Slip... well, yeah, but that doesn't mean he didn't write for it. Slash doesn't have writing credits for various Illusion tunes that obviously he helped create, all this means is that Robin didn't originate any of the tracks. As far as I know, all the major contributors to NIN in studio have never gotten writing credits (Lohner, Vrenna, Cortini).

And keep in mind, the last time Robin left GN'R for NIN he had no intention of coming back. Only NIN's hiatus and Trent's addictions pushed him back to Axl. Neither of those conditions appear likely to re-occur.

Good for Robin!! Hopefully he returns to GN'R when the time is right, but if not, I wish him the best of luck.

COMA & More.

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1995 on: May 05, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »

COMA & More.

HBK *

I didn't say he didn't have writing credits on the Illusions, I said he didn't have writing credits on VARIOUS Illusions; implying some, but not all. If you read my text instead of just making it bold, you'd have known that.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1996 on: May 05, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

While NIN's material isn't Robin's he is known and respected in the NIN community as "the" guy for that band, who was the lead guitar player for their biggest tours with Self-Destruct and Fragility. All other NIN guitarists are judged by his standard".

Undecided

"Alessandro fit in immediately, but we looked all over for the right guitarist. In retrospect, I believe we were looking for someone to fill Robin's [Finck] shoes. When Aaron walked through the door, he pissed on Robin's shoes and kicked them out the door where they belong ? effectively closing a chapter. A great chapter, but one that is in the past. This is a new entity that feels very fresh and vital.

Trent Reznor

Sp1at.com: You piss on Robin Finck's shoes, according to Trent [Reznor]. What do you think of that?

Aaron North: "I don't know. It's apples and oranges. My style and approach to guitar is nothing like that dude's. I've only seen him play once... when my old band played a festival in Japan with GUNS N' ROSES... he seems like a great guitar player, but like i said, apples and oranges."

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1997 on: May 05, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »

COMA & More.

HBK *

I didn't say he didn't have writing credits on the Illusions, I said he didn't have writing credits on VARIOUS Illusions; implying some, but not all. If you read my text instead of just making it bold, you'd have known that.

Friend, SLASH Is In various Credits On ILUSSON 1 & 2,,,

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Snafu
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #1998 on: May 05, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »

You would think release on the horizon he could have found enough inspiration and or motivation to stick around.

That's the point I was trying to make earlier before being scolded for having an opinion.

Robin stuck around in a band for a decade that never released an album - performed multiple tours covering another guitar player's material - and now they're supposedly at the finish line and he's going to jump ship? I knew that I couldn't have been the only one who found this just a tad bit odd.

If the album really is close to coming out, the only other scenarios that may have happened are: him and Axl had a fall out, his work didn't feature on the finished product as much as he would have liked, or maybe he just saw no future as a lead guitar player in this band.

All I know is something had to have happened. You just don't quit a race when the finish line is only feet in front of you. The fact that he doesn't even think enough of his fans to update them makes this all the more strange.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1999 on: May 05, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »

precisely.   besides, Del confirmed that Robin's parts remain on the album regardless and he is supposed to have written and recorded 3-4 albums worth of songs.  drool

what's strange is that apparently more non robin fans/purists are now worrying about this than robin fans/current band pros.  hihi guess it's their attempt to drag the fans down.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: