Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Earth Hour
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 7672 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« on: March 29, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

http://www.google.ca  has "turned off their lights" and I live a few blocks from the CN Tower which is apparently turning off it's new LED lights for the hour which is 8pm to 9pm.

Living downtown there may be too many lights turned on, but I think it would be cool if the stars would become visible.

Is there any buzz about this in your area?
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »

would of have been great if the search results page would be a black background as well
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »

F**k this planet and all the parasites that live on it!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:47:36 PM »

would of have been great if the search results page would be a black background as well
Be even better if you could use the black version whenever you want. But yes, I think I'm going to try this. Not all my lights will be off, because it is dark out, but it's a good cause.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:49:15 AM »

Hadn't heard about it...  interesting.

I'm the luckiest girl alive.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:30:58 AM »

Cities switch off lights for Earth Hour

By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer 7 minutes ago

CHICAGO - From the Sydney Opera House to Rome's Colosseum to the Sears Tower's famous antennas in Chicago, floodlit icons of civilization went dark Saturday for Earth Hour, a worldwide campaign to highlight the threat of climate change.

The environmental group WWF urged governments, businesses and households to turn back to candle power for at least 60 minutes starting at 8 p.m. wherever they were.

The campaign began last year in Australia, and traveled this year from the South Pacific to Europe to North America in cadence with the setting of the sun.

"What's amazing is that it's transcending political boundaries and happening in places like China, Vietnam, Papua New Guinea," said Andy Ridley, executive director of Earth Hour. "It really seems to have resonated with anybody and everybody."

Earth Hour officials hoped 100 million people would turn off their nonessential lights and electronic goods for the hour. Electricity plants produce greenhouse gases that fuel climate change.

In Chicago, lights on more than 200 downtown buildings were dimmed Saturday night, including the stripe of white light around the top of the John Hancock Center. The red-and-white marquee outside Wrigley Field also went dark.

"There's a widespread belief that somehow people in the United States don't understand that this is a problem that we're lazy and wedded to our lifestyles. (Earth Hour) demonstrates that that is wrong," Richard Moss, a member of the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the climate change vice president for WWF, said in Chicago on Saturday.

Workers in Phoenix turned out the lights in all downtown city-owned buildings for one hour. Darkened restaurants glowed with candlelight in San Francisco while the Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower and other landmarks extinguished lights for an hour.

New Zealand and Fiji were first out of the starting blocks this year. And in Sydney, Australia ? where an estimated 2.2 million observed the blackout last year ? the city's two architectural icons, the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, faded to black against a dramatic backdrop of a lightning storm.

Lights also went out at the famed Wat Arun Buddhist temple in Bangkok, Thailand; shopping and cultural centers in Manila, Philippines; several castles in Sweden and Denmark; the parliament building in Budapest, Hungary; a string of landmarks in Warsaw, Poland; and both London City Hall and Canterbury Cathedral in England.

Greece, an hour ahead of most of Europe, was the first on the continent to mark Earth Hour. On the isle of Aegina, near Athens, much of its population marched by candlelight to the port. Parts of Athens itself, including the floodlit city hall, also turned to black.

In Ireland, where environmentalists are part of the coalition government, lights-out orders went out for scores of government buildings, bridges and monuments in more than a dozen cities and towns.

But the international banks and brokerages of Dublin's financial district blazed away with light, illuminating floor after empty floor of desks and idling computers.

"The banks should have embraced this wholeheartedly and they didn't. But it's a start. Maybe next year," said Cathy Flanagan, an Earth Hour organizer in Dublin.

Ireland's more than 7,000 pubs elected not to take part ? in part because of the risk that Saturday night revelers could end up smashing glasses, falling down stairs, or setting themselves on fire with candles.

Likewise, much of Europe ? including France, Germany, Spain and European Union institutions ? planned nothing to mark Earth Hour.

Internet search engine Google lent its support to Earth Hour by blackening its normally white home page and challenging visitors: "We've turned the lights out. Now it's your turn."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:59:35 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 01:49:52 AM »

I try to be very aware of electric use as well as water. Without sacrificing comfort I routinely keep my electric bills at half of what my neighbors run.

Over the next few months I'll be working on getting solar panels for my home, to run nearly 100% off the grid. Should be cool, and I will definitely post pictures when they are installed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:52:06 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »

I try to be very aware of electric use as well as water. Without sacrificing comfort I routinely keep my electric bills at half of what my neighbors run.

Over the next few months I'll be working on getting solar panels for my home, to run nearly 100% off the grid. Should be cool, and I will definitely post pictures when they are installed.

You commie traitor, 4000 Americans didn't die in Iraq so you can experiment with alternative energy sources  Grin

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »

Hopefully, we can focus on ways to prevent these senseless deaths in the future. I will do my best to adhere to a lifestyle that encourages change and promotes conservation.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:49:06 PM »

Let me know how this goes.  I've thought about this recently, and now that the weather's improving would be the time to do it. 

I'm interested in three things:

Cost.
Effort.
Know-how required.

The third is particularly important.  Does it take some major know how about wiring, et cetera?  Or is it fairly straightforward?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:04:23 AM »

I am looking at renting panels for the home. From what I am reading it hands down beats buying them. Minimal deposit, they set it up, and you maintain it. You sign a lease of 1,2,5,25 yrs at a SET PRICE for the rental term. That's amazing really, think about the long term savings on the back end of that thing. They will move it for you once, after that, you will pay for the cost of moving it.

I'm sure some type of insurance is required as well. For me, it's something to consider, since a hurricane can simply take the thing up and away.

I also do not think it goes 100 percent off the grid, but a substantial portion does. Which still is pretty damn good. If I remember correctly they will provide you with updated components as time marches on. That makes renting even more appealing IMO.

So I've got one more thing to tackle before I get started with that, but hopefully I can get that ironed out this year.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »

I had no idea that you could rent this stuff.  What's the cost/month to do so?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:44 AM »

Ever heard of www.blackle.com?

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:09 AM »

I had no idea that you could rent this stuff.  What's the cost/month to do so?

Quick Search
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 02:19:17 AM »

Gore has taken all his profits from his award winning movie, along with his Nobel money and has put it into a new campaign for global warming awareness. Expect to see bipartisan ads running this week.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »

Gore has taken all his profits from his award winning movie, along with his Nobel money and has put it into a new campaign for global warming awareness. Expect to see bipartisan ads running this week.

Yeah, I caught that interview. 

I like Al.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 02:11:51 AM »

So...when are you going to point your fingers at the real bad guys, Al? Or do you hesitate because they're your friends?

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 02:24:40 AM »

So...when are you going to point your fingers at the real bad guys, Al? Or do you hesitate because they're your friends?

Ewww......

You should write him an email and call him chicken.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 02:31:31 AM »

I'm sure the NSA will relay the message.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 02:32:28 AM »

I'm sure the NSA will relay the message.

What would that message be? What friends of Gore should he point the finger at?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: