Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:21:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stephen King and Axl Rose
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stephen King and Axl Rose  (Read 13838 times)
BenDrinking49
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: March 25, 2008, 08:16:52 PM »

Hey all,

I am currently reading the new Stephen King book "Duma Key". I am about 3/4 of the way through the book and I think it's really good so far. The book takes place in Florida, and SK mentions that the protagonist listens to a classic rock station called ?The Bone? (It?s funny, cause we have a radio station here in the Bay Area called ?The Bone?). But I digress. The main character in the book has already mentioned "Welcome to the Jungle" as one of the songs he was listening to, and has also made reference to Axl Rose a couple of times..

I know King is a GNR fan and I think that it?s cool that he still remembers GNR and includes them in his writings. I have one question though. Since when has GNR become classic rock? I thought classic rock was Led Zeppelin and Lynyad Skynard (sp?). Is GNR really that old that they can be considered Classic Rock? What do you think?

Anyways, if you see the book at the book stores, pick it up. Like I said, it's a good read (So far).

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »

I guess rock becomes classic as soon as a wider audience recognizes the artist and some time has passed....

Seems like 15 years is more than enough to make bands classic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smokey
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »

I supose that todays mainstream bands like my chemical romance, fallout boy etc are considered rock when infact they are simply emo, and well.... pop music. And since the dumbass posur emos dont want to be labeld emos they label themselves rockers (when infact they most likely dont listen to real rock like zeppelin) cause yano rockers are cool not that rockers label themselves rockers if yano what im sayin?
So basically because in this generation the term/genre of rock has been pissed all over real rock cant be described as rock anymore it has to be seperated and made 'classic rock'

Does that make sense?
By the way I was watching kerrang the other day and they had this chart top 100 rock artists OF ALL TIME, so youd imagine bands like zeppelin, aerosmith, guns, sabbath, metallica, beatles, the stones would all be in the top ten and contenders for no 1, MCR were no1 now isnt that just a fucking disgrace... How could a shitty emo band that has been 'big' for 3/4 yeras be better the the aforementioned bands??
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

Ha!  That's funny as hell.  My wife just finished the same book a couple days ago.  She read me the passage, and then the next since apparently Axl's mentioned twice on the same page.  Very cool.

btw, my wife hasn't been raving about his latest releases...and this book didn't change her opinion.  it wasn't bad, but she wasn't crazy about it.  

I guess AFD is over 20 years old?  If that's not classic, I don't know what is.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »

GNR is widely played on the classic rock station here in NY.

I am reading Duma Key as well and noticed 2 Axl references so far!
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »

Ha!  That's funny as hell.  My wife just finished the same book a couple days ago.  She read me the passage, and then the next since apparently Axl's mentioned twice on the same page.  Very cool.

btw, my wife hasn't been raving about his latest releases...and this book didn't change her opinion.  it wasn't bad, but she wasn't crazy about it.  

I guess AFD is over 20 years old?  If that's not classic, I don't know what is.   peace

Humm, I really enjoyed Lisey's Story and Duma Key (I'm about 3/4 through).  His writing is somewhat different now but I like that he doesn't always stick to outright horror and gore anymore.

Not to mention he's an Axl fan! hihi
me2u838
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »

The classic rock station in Boston considers music classic after only 5 years!!! So GNR is plenty classic I guess.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »

King always makes references to great artists. One of the things I always liked about him.
amyl

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:22:03 AM »

I always felt GnR had a classic rock sound even when their stuff was newly released
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »

I know a few people who consider Gnr to be classic rock - I guess when you don't release an original studio album for 17 years, you can kinda get grouped with past artists
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »

I know a few people who consider Gnr to be classic rock

I was one of them till the day I heard the little song called Chinese democracy.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »

The term "classic rock" has nothing to do with how old a song is.

All it means is that a song is done in what is considered a "classic rock" style.

Even the motto of the classic rock radio station is:  "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO BE CLASSIC"

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

are bands like sex pistols considered as classic rock? or cure? u2?
axlssis
Rocker

Here Today...somewhat

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

the sex pistols are classic punk, if there is any such thing. 

i've never considered gnr classic rock, but then again, i never gave it any thought either.  they are played on our "classic" rock radio stations, not the new music one.

i think a band being called "classic" rock has a lot to do with the ages of the people listening to it.  to someone 18 or 20, gnr may seem classic, it's been around as long as they have or longer. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »

while ago I read an interview with deep purple.  the deep purple guy (sorry I forgot the name) says  that once a band had a hit more than a decade ago, it's categorized as a classic band and property of classic stations that play only oldies. as a result although they keep releasing new albums their new songs rarely get aired.
EstrangedBrazil
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »

Great book, finished reading it 2 days ago! Its great when in the end Bruce Willis is actually dead.... just kidding.

Stephen King is amazing, my favorite writer,  and like GNR, having been or being so popular unfortunatelly makes most people respect them less for being suposedly comercial

Anyway, i also thought the mentions were interesting and SK has mentioned Axl or GNR some other times. This might be my memory playing tricks on me, but i don?t think GNR is regarded as classic rock on the book. From what i could remember, he doesnt listen to it on Bone. I might be wrong though, ill have another look
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:06:20 PM »

Stephen King is definitely among my favorite living authors. I actually just read Firestarter two weeks ago, and have Salem's Lot near the top of my next books to read.

Another book that references GN'R several times is Elmore Leonard's Be Cool. About halfway through, that book keeps randomly bringing up GN'R on just about every other page. I wouldn't recommend it though, it's probably among the shittest books I've ever read.
McDuff
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »

Hey all,

I am currently reading the new Stephen King book "Duma Key". I am about 3/4 of the way through the book and I think it's really good so far. The book takes place in Florida, and SK mentions that the protagonist listens to a classic rock station called ?The Bone? (It?s funny, cause we have a radio station here in the Bay Area called ?The Bone?). But I digress. The main character in the book has already mentioned "Welcome to the Jungle" as one of the songs he was listening to, and has also made reference to Axl Rose a couple of times..

I know King is a GNR fan and I think that it?s cool that he still remembers GNR and includes them in his writings. I have one question though. Since when has GNR become classic rock? I thought classic rock was Led Zeppelin and Lynyad Skynard (sp?). Is GNR really that old that they can be considered Classic Rock? What do you think?

Anyways, if you see the book at the book stores, pick it up. Like I said, it's a good read (So far).

Yeah I read "Duma Key" and I pointed it out in another topic about the mention of "Welcome To The Jungle" and Axl Rose,I thought it was cool.Where I live (in Missouri) we have a station that plays all classic rock and they play alot of GN'R and alot of the older bands,and even if a band releases a new single it would be consider classic rock because the band has been around for awhile. smoking
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »

Shouldn't a surprise to anyone. He even referenced that when he writes, he closes the door and listens to heavy bands like Metallica and GNR in his book "On Writing."

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 04:45:56 PM »

Isn't it considered a classic at 20 years and an antique at 25?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: