Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:17:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who Should the Next VR Singer be?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Should the Next VR Singer be?  (Read 163730 times)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2008, 07:07:47 PM »

If they want to continue on with their "theme" of blending grunge with classic-GN'R rock... I think they should look at Chris Cornell (if he could be persuaded to do it) or Gavin Rossdale (ex-Bush). I think the label will want them to try to continue in that vein.

My personal 1st choice would be Gilby Clarke... but then they're really setting themselves up as an alternate version of Guns N' Roses (v. Axl's GN'R) and kind of abandoning the whole "Hard Rock meets Grunge Supergroup" theme... so I'm not sure if they'll go that way.

Whatever the case... these guys deserve a lead singer that can get the job done but won't make their lives absolutely miserable. yes

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Nitro89
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2008, 08:52:36 AM »

I think Eric Dover from Slash's Snakepit would be excellent! But you can't really replace Weiland in Velvet Revolver.
ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »

Get Tim Owens away from Yngvie Malsteem..What a differant sound VR wouyld have w/ a singer w/ that kind of range..It would proobablly be more metal than rock..If not try out Whitfield Crane..Forgive him for Ugly Kid Joe and liten to him on the Black Sabbeth tribute album..They guy can actually sing!!

Yeah I'dgo for that he's a top singer - you can hear it better on the later UKJ albums.

Has anybody on here mentioned having Rod Jackson back? I loved him in the second Snakepit album and when I saw them live his stage presence was amazing. Also I heard an interview with Slash saying he also thought he was an unbelievable singer... to be honest I think Ain't Life Grand is better than anything VR have done.... but having said that if someone better was singing on the VR stuff I might disagree. I never liked Scott.

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2008, 03:25:04 PM »

Get Tim Owens away from Yngvie Malsteem..What a differant sound VR wouyld have w/ a singer w/ that kind of range..It would proobablly be more metal than rock..If not try out Whitfield Crane..Forgive him for Ugly Kid Joe and liten to him on the Black Sabbeth tribute album..They guy can actually sing!!

Yeah I'dgo for that he's a top singer - you can hear it better on the later UKJ albums.

Has anybody on here mentioned having Rod Jackson back? I loved him in the second Snakepit album and when I saw them live his stage presence was amazing. Also I heard an interview with Slash saying he also thought he was an unbelievable singer... to be honest I think Ain't Life Grand is better than anything VR have done.... but having said that if someone better was singing on the VR stuff I might disagree. I never liked Scott.

I agrre that ALG is a lot better than I5OCS but if I'm remembering correctly I don't think Slash at all enjoyed working with Rod. I think he mentions it in his autobiography. He does have a cool voice tho.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
gnr2k6
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »

robert plants son is a drummer in the band aura....they were supporting VR.
and gilby would never work.....he's a guitarist....they should get an unknown and release the stuff they did with izzy
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »

robert plants son is a drummer in the band aura....they were supporting VR.
and gilby would never work.....he's a guitarist....they should get an unknown and release the stuff they did with izzy

Not to be mean but it be pretty crazy if Dave left and Izzy came in , ahh im dreaming I just want Slash and Izzy lol
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2008, 02:45:03 AM »

what about Lenny Kravitz?  i think he would be a perfect fit..
ACE_is_BACK
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2008, 03:43:19 AM »

JOEY FUCKING BELLADONNA
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »

yeah, that would be cool
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2008, 08:38:32 AM »

are you guys delusional? Lenny has a lot more sucess and a more established carrear as a solo musician than VR has. why on earth would he even consider the gig in the first place?

Besides, Vr aren't as delusional as you guys on who they can actually get for the job.

i for one can't think of anyone that could fill in mr weiland shoes, anyone available that is.

yeah, that would be cool

Chinese Democracy!
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2008, 11:31:04 AM »

Steve Jones (ex-Sex Pistols, Neurotic Outsiders) would be awesome...

I actually wish Neurotic Outsiders would get back together + Slash:

Steve Jones (vocals, guitar)
Slash (lead guitar)
Duff McKagan (rhythm guitar, vocals)
Johnny Taylor (bass guitar, vocals)
Matt Sorum (drums)
 drool drool drool

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:40:20 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »

what about Corey Glover from living colour ?

he's a very talented singer, the last album of the band was in 2003,
and his solo career is not as successful as VR's one.

http://www.myspace.com/coreyglover

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »

they could have revolving singers, like slash wants on his solo record, it could be cool but hard to tour though Tongue
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »

Steve Jones (ex-Sex Pistols, Neurotic Outsiders) would be awesome...

I actually wish Neurotic Outsiders would get back together + Slash:

Steve Jones (vocals)
Slash (lead guitar)
Duff McKagan (rhythm guitar, vocals)
Johnny Taylor (bass guitar, vocals)
Matt Sorum (drums)
 drool drool drool

Best idea yet, would be great band, we can only hope. 
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »

JOEY FUCKING BELLADONNA

HAHAHA YES! I like that suggestion. I got to catch Joey live on the Anthrax anniversary tour and he was great. Not sure how he'd fit with the band but I think it's a much more original suggestion then some of the same ones I keep reading over and over in this thread.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2008, 06:08:01 PM »

Guys and Gals, shower me with praise for I have found the right man.  None other than Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes.  A blues based rock vocalist that can do the stones, led zep and anything else. 

Check out this stones cover of "Can't You Hear Me Knockin", he is killer!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3NupK97kA&NR=1
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »

Guys and Gals, shower me with praise for I have found the right man.  None other than Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes.  A blues based rock vocalist that can do the stones, led zep and anything else. 

the crowes just put out a new album after 3 yrs seperation Undecided
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »

the crowes just put out a new album after 3 yrs seperation Undecided

Well, would he be good though?  Let VR write the songs and let him do his vocals.  Could be killer!!!! 
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »

Ok... this is a stupid idea BUT what about Serj Tankian (System of a Down?s singer)? He?s been working solo lately... and no news about System of a Down getting together in anytime soon (sadly of course). And I mean... the guy is great, he goes from highs to lows and all that lol... you know what I mean! What do you think?

I kind of doubt that Serj would be interested. He has a lot of material to release, and he has stated that he will be back in his studio working on another album. Too, SOAD is on hiatus, So, technically they are still together.

Don't know how they would fit together on a personal level, but I would love to hear 'em play together.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »

The paradox here is they probably have to go with somebody unknown because most established singers don't want to have the Guns N' Roses connection overshadow everything.  But they won't hire someone unknown because VR is a very corporate gig and has been from day one.  They hired Weiland in what was a very short-sighted move, he was never a good match for the other people in the band musically, he has a well known reputation for being egotistical and has had heavily substance abuse issues for well over a decade.  But they went with him anyway because he was the biggest name and the most marketable

Then they shot their load with Contraband because they played up the GNR+STP angle so heavily in the marketing that the band never had any idea of its own.  It was marketed and sold as a corporate cash grab, and after the first album the name Velvet Revolver has basically no value.  To the point where people who would have killed for the opportunity 4 years ago would turn them down now.  The prime example being that they sent Josh Todd and Keith Nelson packing, and now Buckcherry is bigger and more relevant that VR is.  I can't imagine any established singer walking into this situation and yet I can't imagine VR hiring someone unknown.  With Slash talking solo album and Duff acting like he's over the whole thing I doubt there will ever be another VR album
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: