Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who Should the Next VR Singer be?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Should the Next VR Singer be?  (Read 154988 times)
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #500 on: July 23, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »

None of the people rumored thus far are the slightest bit captivating in my opinion. They all sound like they sing covers at the local bar. Some are o.k., but come on... think about it VR is pretty huge, they need someone who is of their caliber.

VR needs to really make a smart decision here because I believe that the next singer will make or break the band. Originally I was on the fence with regards to taking someone not known, but I think that VR's star power is too much for a newbie and they will need someone that is established and recognized. They cannot afford to be another Snakepit.

The problem is most of the guys that would be perfect seem like a long shot a.ka. the Chris Cornells and Mike Pattons of the world. Its funny that so many of the names thrown around of the more established lead singers, on this post are all working on projects, yet you have not heard from these guys in years.

Scott was not my favorite pick originally, but I have to give him credit he has stage presence, a cool look, pretty good voice and range, decent lyrics good melody. He had the overall mix that allowed VR to be relevant. Overall about 7-8 out of 10. Scott was a good choice for them at the time regardess of what happened. I think Bach would have been appreciated by many hardcore fans but the mass media would have shredded the band's credibility by saying they are a bunch of washed up 80's musicians or some stupid shit like that.

A few downsides to Scott in my opinion were that I hated his little gay dance and I always felt he did not write up to his potential in VR. I knew he was not Axl but STP had some pretty cool songs that I believe he had a big part in. I never expected VR to be greater than GNR but I thought it would be as good as STP. I am not saying that VR is not as good or even better than STP, but I do feel Scott wrote some catchier songs in STP that became big hits. I think this shortcoming was more because Scott's lyrics lacked depth rather than the actual music. I always felt the music was great, cool riffs, good beats, awesome bass lines, although I wish Slash had some more signature solos. Perhaps it could have been there approach to rush things.

I wish they would have allowed Rick Rubin to have produced Libertad. Libertad was good but I can only imagine what it would have been with Rick's input. Whatever Rick Rubin touches turns to platinum he would have definitely been worth the wait, just look at his resume.

Anyways, I hope the next singer takes this band to the next level and surpasses anything and everything that they achieved with Scott thus far, because they have have so much potential to create great music and I do not think they have tapped into it just yet.

What about Gavin Rosdale? What is he up to these days?

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »

What about Gavin Rosdale? What is he up to these days?

Cheesy

Mon., Jul. 21, 2008

After Good Charlotte's 8 p.m. show wrapped, the lovebirds jumped on a jet and headed to Sin City just in time to catch Gavin Rossdale's performance at Wasted Space, the new club at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Unfortunately for Gwen Stefani's hubby, the audience wasn't exactly attentive...

"He shushed the crowd between each song," says an eyewitness to his acoustic set, who adds that the frustarated rocker even made snide remarks about Vegas. Burn!

Toward the end of his set, one audience member yelled, "We want Dave!" (As in Navarro, who took the stage after Gavin with his band, Camp Freddy.)

"Dave who?" Gavin responded. "Shut up and let me finish my song!"

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/hwood_party_girl/b147264_paris_benjis_busy_saturday_night.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #502 on: July 23, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »

That could be a good sign, meaning perhaps we would be open to being VR's singer. I think he would be pretty good considering he wrote some good songs in Bush, has a great voice and range, plays guitar, has a goog stage presence, and people know who he is. I think he would be a good choice especially considering who is available from the more established singers.

I thought Perry Ferrel would have been cool replacement for Scott and then I heard him sing with CF and he sounded like shit. I had seen him a few years ago with Janes Addiction and he sounded good, but I don't think he is the right fit for VR.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #503 on: July 23, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

That could be a good sign, meaning perhaps we would be open to being VR's singer. I think he would be pretty good considering he wrote some good songs in Bush, has a great voice and range, plays guitar, has a goog stage presence, and people know who he is. I think he would be a good choice especially considering who is available from the more established singers.

I thought Perry Ferrel would have been cool replacement for Scott and then I heard him sing with CF and he sounded like shit. I had seen him a few years ago with Janes Addiction and he sounded good, but I don't think he is the right fit for VR.

Gavin better than Ferrel, but still lacks over all balls of a Rod Jackson, Axl Rose, Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, Josh Todd etc.  I want balls and power.
GeraldFord
« Reply #504 on: July 23, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »

I actually like Gavin Rosdale. I hated Bush back in the 90s--but they really weren't so bad...

He'd be okay by me.
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »

Jarmo, what do you think of Keith Caputo?

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #506 on: July 29, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »

Fergie!!!!

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #507 on: July 29, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »

Fergie!!!!

Oh no! man!!! that sounds terrible  nervous
BTW what about Paulina Rubio?  hihi Maybe the RCA asked Slash again 'bout workin' with her, just pray that he won't be that drunk again to accept the offer...  rofl
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #508 on: July 29, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »

Fergie!!!!

I think they could make some balls rocking shit for sure. Dirty Sexy Bluesy hard rock.  I am serious, she could pull it off.  And she has the greatest ass of any current femal singer.  That is a plus.   ok  Fergie at least deserves an audition. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVvqYpBgCvY&feature=related

Her singing Paradise City.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:10:28 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #509 on: July 29, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »

Fergie!!!!

I think they could make some balls rocking shit for sure. Dirty Sexy Bluesy hard rock.  I am serious, she could pull it off.  And she has the greatest ass of any current femal singer.  That is a plus.   ok  Fergie at least deserves an audition. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVvqYpBgCvY&feature=related

Her singing Paradise City.
Why Slash, why?  That just made me cringe.  I could even take Fergie alone, but to collaborate on a rap of Paradise City.  That's sacrilige.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2008, 12:07:56 PM »

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/07/30/former-spacehog-takes-a-shot-with-velvet-revolver/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »

I remember seeing Spacehog open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1995, they were pretty good, but musically there were different than what VR probably is musically-In the Meantime was a great song, they were a one hit wonder in the 90's-I really don't want anyone who sounds like Eric Dover of Baz, which seems to be what a lot of singers sound like who try out-at least this is a different sort of choice

libertad
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »

Looks like they still have a label.  Says someone from the label said Langdon was in the mix.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

Fuck, I hope it's not him. Spacehog were shit. I don't wanna see VR trading STP covers for one-hit-wonder Spacehog songs. Surely there has to be some decent rock singers out there better than this guy.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »

Hey what about the singer from Buck Cherry? Maybe Sabastian Bach........: )
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2008, 10:17:04 AM »

woah, you're funny and smart smoking
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »

Not a chance on either, Josh is riding high with Buckcherry and the other guy is... well......not a viable musical entity in 2008.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »

Not a chance on either, Josh is riding high with Buckcherry and the other guy is... well......not a viable musical entity in 2008.

Why couldn't Sabastian work? He's got the right voice for it.  I don't think he's doing anything right now.....(he did put out a cd called Angel Fallen........Did you guys hear him and Axel do "Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith...........not too bad.....
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »

Ok I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read the post above mine  nervous

Anyway according to Matt they're talking to a big name singer:

In a very recent interview, drummer Matt Sorum got an update on where the band was and revealed they were in negotiations with "a big name vocalist," although he didn't want to disclose any names yet.

"Nothing yet. We got a call from a pretty big guy who wants to be our singer. I can't say who that is yet but talks are happening about it and hopefully we'll see what happens in the next couple of months."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/video_news/velvet_revolver_announce_new_singer.html

Could be good news but hey it's Matt so it might aswell be Paris Hilton  hihi
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:51:10 PM by Grouse » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »

perry farrel would be sooo fkn cool
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: