Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 01:45:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228142 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who Should the Next VR Singer be?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Should the Next VR Singer be?  (Read 155359 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #440 on: June 08, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »

From http://www.snakepit.org/news.html

By now you must have heard that Scott Weiland, lead singer for Velvet Revolver, has been dismissed from the band. SLASH cited personal differences as well as frequently erratic behavior by Scott onstage. Weiland is back to fronting Stone Temple Pilots, and Velvet Revolver is back to searching for a singer. Some fans have been speaking out, especially in a poll conducted by Rolling Stone online. Chris Cornell, who formerly fronted Soundgarden and Audioslave, came in as the #1 choice. As you might expect, fans named Buckcherry's frontman, Josh Todd second. This is highly unlikely as SLASH is not a great admirer of Todd. Bringing up the rest of the Top 5 were Sebastian Bach, Eric Dover of SLASH's Snakepit and Izzy Stradlin. You may recall that Bach was rejected last time around, and Izzy doesn't like to tour.

Matt has been pushing to have the band set up an online audition hub in the next month or so. SLASH said they already had a singer in mind, but they may actually do this web site for auditions. This will be a very expensive proposition; it will be like a mini-uTube. SLASH said they had in mind before they left for the UK...that has fallen through.

I wonder who they had in mind prior to the uk tour....
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2008, 10:28:30 PM »

^^Does that mean that their first choice fell through? Undecided

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #442 on: June 08, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »

Obviously.  Hmmmm, you think Bach?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #443 on: June 08, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »

Obviously.  Hmmmm, you think Bach?

No I don't think so.

It also said at snakepit.org...

Obviously, the band wants a new singer asap. In fact, there is a gig at Vegas that was contracted for before the breakup took place. SLASH says they are going to do the gig with a cast of well-known singers...like a revolving door, as he puts it. He says the band doesn't know what they want yet; they're just listening till "they know it when they hear it".

Slash mentioned this show in the Billboard interview on April 18th.  I wonder when this will take place.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #444 on: June 09, 2008, 07:55:52 AM »

i read on the VR forum it may be robert plants illigitimate son, the guy from mean venus; but that's unsubstantiated; though the band is playing in NYC tomorrow night

Looks like someone has been posting this in the comments on a lot sites since early April...I haven't seen any statement. no

Priscilla | 4/22/2008, 2:50 pm EST

Looks like the search is over for Scott Weiland?s replacement. Jeffrey Light of Sanctuary Artist Management (Velvet Revolver?s high-power management team) announced earlier today that the lead singer of NYC based MEAN VENUS has already begun the process of taking over vocal duties. Known merely as ?J?, Light says the MEAN VENUS front man has everything Weiland had and more. An accomplished songwriter in his own right, Velvet Revolver are excited to explore a somewhat new direction with the virtually unknown frontman.

that was said 22th of april.. if you'd read J's blog at his myspace which he wrote 19th of may he says
MEAN VENUS HAS NOT and WILL NOT EVER break up...never ever never. How's that for erasing any shadow of doubt that you may have had about the future of MEAN VENUS? MEAN VENUS HAS NOT BROKEN UP--EVEN FOR A SECOND. MEAN VENUS WILL NOT BREAK UP EVEN FOR A MINUTE. MEAN VENUS IS INFINITE GOOD. Embrace it and know in your heart it will never leave you. You can have faith in it and trust it...

I have been getting FAR too many concerned emails that go like this: "I HEARD SOMETHING. SAY IT ISN'T TRUE???"

Well my friends it IS NOT. We will not be missing a gig--not even a rehearsal

who knows what the future will say about anything but i rather take the leadsingers word then some story from some priscilla

yeah, i went to see them saturday night and he was pretty non-commital about it....I think he said someting to the effect of "I wish it were true" Lips Sealed
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #445 on: June 15, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »

Chester: "I am not Velvet Revolver's new singer"

June 13, 2008

Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington has dismissed rumours that he is set to replace Scott Weiland as the new frontman of Velvet Revolver.

In an exclusive interview for next week's Kerrang! magazine Bennington said:

"I'm friends with all the guys in Velvet Revolver and have played with all of them before. I'm friends with Scott [Weiland] too. I think the rumour that I was going to join Velvet Revolver started because Slash asked me if I'd come play a show with them in Vegas right around the time that Scott left the band. Timing-wise, it didn't work out for me, though. Maybe people assumed that invitation meant I was joining the band."

"It would be very uncomfortable for me to join that band because I'm friends with all of them, including Scott," Bennington continues. "If I was even going to do just one show, or record just one song with them, I'd have to know it was okay with my band, all those guys and Scott too.

That said, if Bennington didn't have prior commitments or wasn't friends with all parties, he'd jump at the chance:

"If I wasn't in Linkin Park anymore and I didn't know Scott, though, I'd say yes," he says. "Who wouldn't? The music is great and it would be a really cool opportunity."

http://www2.kerrang.com/2008/06/chester_i_am_not_velvet_revolv.html

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #446 on: June 16, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »

Matt talks a bit about auditions on the Camp Freddy Radio broadcast
from 6/14 - takes a few call in wannabes as well. 

Funny shit...

The podcast can be accessed here:

http://billymorrison.net/Podcasts/Podcasts2.html

Click on the following at the bottom of the page:

14-06-08: Billy Morrison and Matt Sorum. With guests Drive A

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #447 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

Duff was on The Johnny Dare Morning Radio Show in Kansas City last Thursday, here is some of what he said...

"We might have perhaps found our singer yesterday"  then the interviewer asks if it is someone we know and he says "I'll just say that he is semi-known".  "We had a guy come in yesterday and he just killed it".

He goes on to say that it was the first time he had come in and added "so we are going to work with him again today".

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.freejohnnydare.com/?q=main

Thanks to gabrielsevenn7 for the link

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #448 on: June 16, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

Duff was on The Johnny Dare Morning Radio Show in Kansas City last Thursday, here is some of what he said...

"We might have perhaps found our singer yesterday"  then the interviewer asks if it is someone we know and he says "I'll just say that he is semi-known".  "We had a guy come in yesterday and he just killed it".

He goes on to say that it was the first time he had come in and added "so we are going to work with him again today".

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.freejohnnydare.com/?q=main

Thanks to gabrielsevenn7 for the link

Fuck, who could it be?  Funky, find out.. hahaha.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #449 on: June 17, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »

There have been rumors that it is the singer from Silverchair for what it's worth

libertad
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #450 on: June 17, 2008, 03:32:14 PM »

There have been rumors that it is the singer from Silverchair for what it's worth

and the source to those rumours?
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »

I can't believe there's any truth to a Daniel Johns rumor.  He would be a worse fit for VR than Scott was, and for the same reason...he's a bit more out there and artsy than the rest of the guys.  Velvet Revolver has always wanted to be a straight forward, blues-based rock band.  Scott has always been more psychedelia, off-the-wall, and camp, and if anyone has heard Daniel's latest offerings...Young Modern by Silverchair, and the Dissociatives album, you'd know Johns' is much like Scott.  Here's a sample of Daniel's Dissociatives stuff.  I like, but not VR in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penG5_T9Ns0 
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #452 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:33 AM »

On the VR board at VR.com-just a rumor, relax-there is nothing else to talk about right now anyway-just reporting what someone had posted, no big deal

libertad
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #453 on: June 18, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »

Jun 18 2008 8:00 AM EDT

Velvet Revolver's Singer Search: Could An Unknown Be Chosen As The New Frontman?

Several rock-star wannabes are gunning for Scott Weiland's old job in online audition tapes.

By Chris Harris

Since it was revealed two months ago that singer Scott Weiland had been excised from Velvet Revolver, the rest of the guys have been searching for his replacement. They hosted auditions and even rejected an offer from reality-TV producer Mark Burnett, who wanted to make VR the subject of his next "Rock Star" series.

Not long after Weiland's departure, guitarist Slash stated that VR would be using the Internet to audition potential frontmen, adding that the band was even toying with the idea of launching a Web site, where audition videos could be posted for public review. That site never took off, unfortunately, but there are still hundreds of aspiring singers out there who are all at the band's beck and call, should the Revolver need them.

While the names of several established musicians (including Linkin Park's Chester Bennington) have been kicked around as rumored replacements, it hasn't deterred these unknown rockers, who claim they're ready to step into Weiland's imposing shoes at the drop of a hat. Some of them have taken their cases to YouTube and other video sites, where, with a little shameless self-promotion, they've manufactured their own hype, generating a groundswell of support from VR fans. Some are even claiming they're front-runners in the race to return the band to the stage, but none explicitly claim they've been contacted by VR.

Dale Toth, who sings in a band called Rogosonic and sounds frighteningly like Axl Rose, had an interesting take with his audition tape. The video, which features an original song from his band, shows nothing but images of Toth trying to look tough. He chose not to cover a VR track, because he figured "it's going to be new material they're more focused on right now, so maybe this is a better idea of what I can offer," he wrote in a post alongside the video. "If it goes further (crossing fingers), I'd be glad to do some vocal tracks to the other VR tunes so they know what I can do on that stuff."

"The vocals are amazing," complimented one fan. "Here's to blowing away the competition."

But Toth admitted on his YouTube page that the band "may have someone already, but I have to contact the VR camp again next week. Hearin' a lot of rumors of people they may already have in mind. Guess we just have to wait for [the] official release."

Another hopeful is Weiland sound-alike Sam Serinsky, who sings for a rock band called Lasting Factor. For his grainy, low-budget audition tape, Serinsky sang one of his own band's originals, and the video has been well-received ? with some fans saying it would be a crime if he weren't asked to join the band.

"Damn, you are the real deal," wrote one user, pointing out that Serinsky can also play guitar, which Weiland didn't. "You would be a perfect fit for VR and then some."

"I think it would be good to get someone that is not already 'known' because it would give the band a new, fresh and unbiased sound," wrote another supporter. "I wouldn't be surprised if this kid got a call from Slash and offered the gig."

But perhaps the most-produced (and longest) audition tape belongs to Brian Phyll Miller, a man who desperately wants the gig. In his video (which features some classy footage of a dog licking itself), Miller ? wearing a "Brutal Rockers" T-shirt ? belts out a cover of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie," and follows it up with VR's "Slither" and "Fall to Pieces." In the video, Miller talks of his love for "vodka, cigarettes and Jack [Daniels]," discusses some of his influences ("Anybody that's cool"), and talks about the vocal and breathing exercises he does before a performance. He also confesses that, since the age of 14, he's wanted to be in a band.

Google Miller's name, and you'll find he has a lot of online support, whether self-manufactured or not.

On the Rolling Stone site, an already-deleted comment on a Flobots piece read, "Flobots? Hmmm I don't think so ... Velvet Revolver is talking with a guy to be the new singer of their band. He is good, he has some epic vocal cords. Judge for yourself. Go to YouTube and search for Brian Phyll Miller. Make it happen, spread the word on this guy and give him support. He is already talking with the band, but it would be nice to have all the fans' support behind him."

On Monday, several comments popped up on our Newsroom blog, following a post on the VR singer search, mostly praising Miller's abilities.

"A lot of talk about who will be the next Velvet Revolver frontman. ... There is a new guy in town that would be very worthy of filling those shoes," one commenter said. "Brian Phyll Miller is getting a lot of comments on his YouTube and MySpace site. A lot of people are saying he should be the next Velvet Revolver lead singer. I would have to agree. This guy is awesome, great range with his vocals, something I think Slash and the guys should take a serious look at."

"Just watched his YouTube video ? he's amazing," another commenter wrote.

On Miller's YouTube page, where he admits he hasn't been contacted or spoken with anyone representing VR, the remarks (the origin and authenticity of which we can't verify) are more of the same: He rules and is the best replacement for Weiland.

"How come this guy isn't signed with some band and changing the world with his epic vocal cords?" wrote one fan, adding that his voice is "much better than Scott Weiland's."

But will these guys ever get their shot at a proper audition? It's doubtful that a band as established as VR, with its members' vaunted history, would opt to add a complete unknown to its ranks over someone who's road-tested, studio-savvy and has a recognizable name. But then again, stranger things have happened.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1589459/20080617/velvet_revolver.jhtml

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #454 on: June 18, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »

^^^

New Velvet Revolver Frontman? Sam Serinsky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKulAUo3KSI

Brian Phyll Miller
Whole Lotta Rosie, Slither, Fall To Pieces
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a5dcUr4FG6A

Dale Toth
Velvet Revolver Audition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORcmzIrhIw

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #455 on: June 18, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »

^^^

Brian Phyll Miller

Dale Toth
Velvet Revolver Audition

Dude, Brian Miller Killed it.  Nice work to the whole lotta rosie guy.  Love how he hit the high note in Fall to Pieces.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #456 on: June 18, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »

^^^

Brian Phyll Miller

Dale Toth
Velvet Revolver Audition

Dude, Brian Miller Killed it.  Nice work to the whole lotta rosie guy.  Love how he hit the high note in Fall to Pieces.
I think my vote out of those 3 would go to Serinsky, although none of them sound better than Weiland to me.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #457 on: June 18, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »

Good Lord..

They better keep looking..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #458 on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »

Good Lord..

They better keep looking..
I know, I didn't want to be mean but if that's their BEST audition tapes.  The search must continue.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2008, 05:48:02 AM »

^^^

Brian Phyll Miller

Dale Toth
Velvet Revolver Audition

you're the first person outside of his own little youtube world i've seen who liked it.

rosie was average. slither well he put on an english accent to sing it, and the scream in FTP was stupid and the whole song sounded dead and emotionless.

add that to the fact any negative comments he gets he deletes. i hope he gets no where near it.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: