Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 03:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who Should the Next VR Singer be?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Should the Next VR Singer be?  (Read 155723 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #380 on: May 15, 2008, 04:27:54 PM »

The quote was the Todd's vocals are "grating" and not musical enough.  Listen to the song "Sorry" by Buckcherry.  An example of a guy that can't sing and only scream.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #381 on: May 15, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »

The quote was the Todd's vocals are "grating" and not musical enough.  Listen to the song "Sorry" by Buckcherry.  An example of a guy that can't sing and only scream.

Todd pwns weilands singing

just like buckcherry pwns VR

sorry kicks ftp's ass
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #382 on: May 15, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »

I think Josh TOdd has a excellent rock voice. HE really can't "sing" but you don't have to be able to sing to be a good rock singer..

ya know?

Freddie Mercury can "sing" rock songs

Vince Neil is a decent singer, but he can't "sing"

Josh TOdd would of ruled in VR... too bad...

they are almost more sucessful than VR in terms of sales and tour profits

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

That's your opinion, I guess that Slash and them just invited him to come record without listening to any of his music?  I somehow doubt they invited him to start writing and recording without hearing his music.  I'm sure they'd heard Check Your Head and For The Movies to know what JT would sound like on a slower song.  If that was the problem, Slash and Co. would have just told him that they didn't think it was the right match chemistry wise or whatever.

The fact that Slash booted them without an explanation makes this excuse seem unlikely.  It's easy enough to tell someone that it's a fit/chemistry issue, no hard feelings.  But it's harder to say "hey look, we recruited you to come do this but now we have a chance to get someone that's a bigger name who will sell more records".  But Todd said that nobody from VR even told them why they'd been kicked out, and nobody from VR ever offered an explanation until 4 years after the fact

But, whatever.  Buckcherry is better than VR anyway and are now more relevant and selling more records as well so Slash giving them the boot was probably the best thing that ever happened to them.  They succeeded on their own terms without piggy-backing on someone else's name and history
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:52:56 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #384 on: May 15, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

That's your opinion, I guess that Slash and them just invited him to come record without listening to any of his music?  I somehow doubt they invited him to start writing and recording without hearing his music.  I'm sure they'd heard Check Your Head and For The Movies to know what JT would sound like on a slower song.  If that was the problem, Slash and Co. would have just told him that they didn't think it was the right match chemistry wise or whatever.

The fact that Slash booted them without an explanation makes this excuse seem unlikely.  It's easy enough to tell someone that it's a fit/chemistry issue, no hard feelings.  But it's harder to say "hey look, we recruited you to come do this but now we have a chance to get someone that's a bigger name who will sell more records".  But Todd said that nobody from VR even told them why they'd been kicked out, and nobody from VR ever offered an explanation until 4 years after the fact

But, whatever.  Buckcherry is better than VR anyway and are now more relevant and selling more records as well so Slash giving them the boot was probably the best thing that ever happened to them.  They succeeded on their own terms without piggy-backing on someone else's name and history

Shotgun Blues, Todd is a hard drug user and I don't think the guys wanted an open user around them eventhough they have all used.  Also I wanted Josh Todd very badly in VR, but I agree with Slash about his diveristy in his vocal range.  I am not a weiland fan, but VR isn't buckcherry.  You Got No Right would sound like shit with Todd.  Todd is cool and has great attitude, but he isn't a good singer.  VR needs a singer and a screamer...  Chester can do both.   Weiland can sing, but not scream.  Todd can Scream but not sing. 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #385 on: May 15, 2008, 07:55:31 PM »

But that once again comes back to the issue at hand, nobody is going to leave their own more successful band at the height of their careers to front a crumbling supergroup that has lost its novelty

As for JT being a hard drug user, that's just speculation, by his own words he hasn't been for years

Look, nobody outside of the situation will probably know exactly what happened between VR and the Buckcherry guys but it's not that hard to connect the dots.  Todd and Nelson were invited into the fold, Slash and Sorum always talk about how they're all about "real" blue collar rock n roll which is exactly what Todd and Nelson are.  They started writing and recording songs.  According to them, they were let go without an explanation.  Then they went out and brought in someone who is a notorious "ego" guy with a long history of drug problems, everything personality wise they supposedly wanted to avoid, someone who is not really the bad assed blue collar rocker they were supposedly looking for, but someone who was a big name from a famous and popular band who would generate hype and sell records.  Slash claims he was always a fan of Weiland, although he also said he hadn't heard hardly any of STP's music and years before had stated that he "hated" Pearl Jam and other bands from that era. 

If musical quality is their primary interest they should hire someone unknown who is a good fit musically can also deal with the GnR connection.  But their track record doesn't suggest that's what they'll do
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »

Doesn't sound too urgent. Cheesy

Sorum also told NME.COM that Velvet Revolver are still actively looking for a new singer since the departure of Scott Weiland last month. "We'll find someone eventually," he said.

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/36644

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »

duff is doing stuff with loaded, slash has a solo album to record and sorum appears busy with camp freddy...what's the rush no sense jumping into somethign when they have other stuff to get out of the way, besides based on the first search it'll prolly take about a year or so before they fiind someone

Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2008, 10:41:04 PM »

As for JT being a hard drug user, that's just speculation, by his own words he hasn't been for years

When I saw Buckcherry last year and during the breakdown in lit up he said he likes to use coke so he can keep drinking. Might have been a joke but I've never heard him say anything about getting clean.

You Got No Right would sound like shit with Todd. 

Actually out of all VRs songs I can picture that one in particular sounding really great with JT. Just my opinion but when I hear it in my mind it works.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:42:54 PM by Wheres Izzy » Logged

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #389 on: May 15, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »

When I saw Buckcherry last year and during the breakdown in lit up he said he likes to use coke so he can keep drinking. Might have been a joke but I've never heard him say anything about getting clean.

Actually out of all VRs songs I can picture that one in particular sounding really great with JT. Just my opinion but when I hear it in my mind it works.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #390 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05:55 PM »

I sincerely hope you're kidding about "Sorry" that's about as real as rock singing gets.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #391 on: May 15, 2008, 11:26:51 PM »

Yeah when I've seen Buckcherry live he's always made references to getting high and drunk but that's what their band's music is largely about and they definitely did live that lifestyle at some point.  I'm not saying I know what he does or that he doesn't still get fucked up but I did read an interview around the time 15 came out where he said that he doesn't live a wild lifestyle anymore and spends most of his time with his free time with his family and watching boxing, Keith Nelson has made similar comments in interviews

Anyway if you believe the rumors Sorum still drinks amongst other things and it's a known fact everyone in VR has been in rehab at least once since 2004 so I don't really see it as a valid reason.  Hadn't Weiland just been arrested for heroin a couple weeks before hooking up with VR?  The drug thing sounds more like a smokescreen than a valid reason
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2008, 01:29:37 AM »

While we're on the subject of unlikely singers for VR, why not get Elvis?

That would sell a few albums and generate buzz.....

According to Polluxlm, he is available.

I made that up

The much more logical train of thought is that they invited these guys into the fold and kicked them to the curb when the word that they could get someone who was not necessarily a better fit musically but was a bigger name who would be more likely to sell records.  They knew Todd and Nelson were a package deal so they kicked both to the curb, brought in the big name singer, and brought in an anonymous rhythm player who would know his role and be happy just to be there

I don['t think your argument "holds water". Either one of those guys would have "jumped" at the chance, so they could have "kicked either one to the curb. Though, you might be there as regards rhythm players. At the time, Weiland wa a "nobody", that hadn't sold crap, but, who knows ...

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2008, 06:52:55 AM »

While we're on the subject of unlikely singers for VR, why not get Elvis?

That would sell a few albums and generate buzz.....

According to Polluxlm, he is available.

I made that up

Really???!!!  Shocked

Edit: Just read the smallprint, i was really excited then.........  Roll Eyes
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »

From Newsok.com

Here's a fine idea when it comes to reunions: Lead singers should stop believing the messiah in the mirror and learn to play nice. That sounds easy and trite, but Scott Weiland is doing it now with Stone Temple Pilots after a few years in a nonproductive relationship with Velvet Revolver.

Now, Velvet Revolver's Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum are reportedly considering reality television as a way of solving their human resources problem.

Fri May 16, 2008

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #395 on: May 16, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »

From Newsok.com

Here's a fine idea when it comes to reunions: Lead singers should stop believing the messiah in the mirror and learn to play nice. That sounds easy and trite, but Scott Weiland is doing it now with Stone Temple Pilots after a few years in a nonproductive relationship with Velvet Revolver.

Now, Velvet Revolver's Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum are reportedly considering reality television as a way of solving their human resources problem.

Fri May 16, 2008

Linky to article here:

http://newsok.com/article/keyword/3244028/

Of course there's no source cited within the article, using every reporters
favorite word "reportedly" to justify innuendo...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #396 on: May 16, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »

From Newsok.com

Fri May 16, 2008

Linky to article here:

http://newsok.com/article/keyword/3244028/

Of course there's no source cited within the article, using every reporters
favorite word "reportedly" to justify innuendo...

Didn't they do a reality show in the past?

Rockers Sign Up For VH1 Reality Show
http://realitytv.about.com/od/realitytvnewsgossip/a/velvetrevolver.htm

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #397 on: May 16, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »

Didn't they do a reality show in the past?

Rockers Sign Up For VH1 Reality Show
http://realitytv.about.com/od/realitytvnewsgossip/a/velvetrevolver.htm

I think it may have started with that in mind but ended up being a documentary in VH1's "Inside" series.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #398 on: May 16, 2008, 12:23:36 PM »

buckcherry sucks donkey balls.."Lit Up" is their only good tune IMO

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »

buckcherry sucks donkey balls.."Lit Up" is their only good tune IMO

I agree... They are a bad copy of appetite...  I enjoy them, but they don't inspire me at all..  And yes shotgun, JT is a human vacuum for cocain.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: