Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 03:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who Should the Next VR Singer be?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Should the Next VR Singer be?  (Read 155742 times)
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #360 on: May 14, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »

Izzy or Duff.  Grin

I don't think any female singers should be in VR. At least, not as long as that sexual predator Matt Sorum is around. hihi

haha rofl

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #361 on: May 14, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »

I still think whitfield crane would be among the absolute favourites for the job.. he'd sound great on theor old songs and they could keep their direction of music or go some other place with it hihi
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

While we're on the subject of unlikely singers for VR, why not get Elvis?

That would sell a few albums and generate buzz.....

Slash couldn't get Snakepit2 working when he had an unknown singer in the band.

VR didn't work when they had a superstar (in his own mind) in the band.

So what's next? Somebody well known who has his own career on the side? Would that work?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #363 on: May 14, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »

So what's next? Somebody well known who has his own career on the side? Would that work?

/jarmo

Desperate times call for desperate actions?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #364 on: May 14, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, don't be so negative.  The album "Ain't Life Grand" was a great album. VR has made some good music.  Slither is one of the best hard rock songs this decade.  Frankly, we have no clue who VR will get.  Many here like how Chester sings and he seems to get along great with the guys.  I also like the idea of Whitfield Crane.  I think the 2nd Singer has a better chance of Success cause in the media's mind, he only has to live up to Scott and not Axl.  Its hard to top Axl.  
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #365 on: May 14, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »

/jarmo

That reminds me of hiring a guitar player from a bigger more popular and current band to fill the shoes of a legend only to have him vanish and to be speculated over.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #366 on: May 14, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »

/jarmo

That reminds me of hiring a guitar player from a bigger more popular and current band to fill the shoes of a legend only to have him vanish and to be speculated over.

Can you be more specific?  I'm confused, I thought we were talking about VR looking for a new singer.  I had no idea they were looking to replace Dave.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #367 on: May 14, 2008, 05:33:51 PM »

/jarmo

Cry

Jarmo needs attention Axl. Please help him.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2008, 05:42:14 PM »

Cry

Sounds more like you need it.  Cry

You realist you. Posting lists with dream lead singers.

Jarmo, don't be so negative.  The album "Ain't Life Grand" was a great album.

Your opinion, fair enough.

The fact is, he went with an unknown singer and it didn't work out like he had planned.

Because, apparently, the guys in the band wanted to live the rock n' roll dream.

Would it work this time with VR?

Imagine picking some guy from a club band. Suddenly he's singing in a band with pretty well known musicians....

That's a big transition.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »

Cry

Jarmo, don't be so negative.  The album "Ain't Life Grand" was a great album.

Your opinion, fair enough.

The fact is, he went with an unknown singer and it didn't work out like he had planned.

Because, apparently, the guys in the band wanted to live the rock n' roll dream.

Would it work this time with VR?

Imagine picking some guy from a club band. Suddenly he's singing in a band with pretty well known musicians....

That's a big transition.

/jarmo

Good point, VR is pigeon holed in who they could get.   I don't know if they could get Chester, but they SHOULD try.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2008, 05:49:48 PM »

Good point, VR is pigeon holed in who they could get.   I don't know if they could get Chester, but they SHOULD try.

Ok, I'll play along.

So they get a guy who's more successful in his own band.

To just record or do you expect them to tour too?

That might put Linkin Park on hiatus for something like two years.

Then you have the old "I'm going back to my old band" thing. Would that work well with the others?

Let's say he wanted to go on a summer tour with Linkin Park.

Suddenly VR seems like his Camp Freddy. A little side project while for the others it's their main priority.

/jarmo

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #371 on: May 14, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »

Cry

Yeah, like dream bands, line ups, matches... Do you know what it means, or is it hard for you to talk out of your ass for the bug burrowed in it?

Axl, jarmo really needs your attention. He read all of Slash's book just so he could scan it for errors and post them on the internet... He's so lonely...

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #372 on: May 14, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »

Yeah, like dream bands, line ups, matches... Do you know what it means, or is it hard for you to talk out of your ass for the bug burrowed in it?

Axl, jarmo really needs your attention. He read all of Slash's book just so he could scan it for errors and post them on the internet... He's so lonely...

Making it personal like many of the others who got banned are you? Very clever...

Bye!

It's amusing how these so called level headed fans, who know everything about GN'R and what they should do, always go for the personal insults aimed at me and then act like they were banned because they disagreed with me. No, you were banned because you're an fucking idiot who can't handle a discussion without trying to insult me.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:17:35 PM by jarmo » Logged

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #373 on: May 14, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »

Ok, I'll play along.

So they get a guy who's more successful in his own band.

To just record or do you expect them to tour too?

That might put Linkin Park on hiatus for something like two years.

Then you have the old "I'm going back to my old band" thing. Would that work well with the others?

Let's say he wanted to go on a summer tour with Linkin Park.

Suddenly VR seems like his Camp Freddy. A little side project while for the others it's their main priority.

/jarmo

LP is a HUGE band....  But who know.  Maybe some of the guys want a hiatus for a couple years.  He just seem less devisive and has a great range.  So if he did some songs for a record and breif tour I would be happy.  I want albums anyway, tours are just sugar on top.  A Perfect Circle mixes the two well.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #374 on: May 15, 2008, 03:15:33 AM »

Ill say it again...they should just get Brett Scallions and call it a day...he actually would fit in perfectly with that band
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2008, 04:21:36 AM »

I don't think it matters whether the singer is established or just an unknown. If he can sing, write decently and more importantly gel with the band, it should be a go.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2008, 08:15:42 AM »

I don't think it matters whether the singer is established or just an unknown. If he can sing, write decently and more importantly gel with the band, it should be a go.

In a perfect world.

But then we know money issues and egos get involved.

Especially if they get an established singer who wants to do other stuff as well.

/jarmo

Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2008, 08:20:13 AM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, don't be so negative.  The album "Ain't Life Grand" was a great album. VR has made some good music.  Slither is one of the best hard rock songs this decade.  Frankly, we have no clue who VR will get.  Many here like how Chester sings and he seems to get along great with the guys.  I also like the idea of Whitfield Crane.  I think the 2nd Singer has a better chance of Success cause in the media's mind, he only has to live up to Scott and not Axl.  Its hard to top Axl.  

Please, God no, I thought Snakepit 2 was terrible

libertad
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #378 on: May 15, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »

In a perfect world.

Especially if they get an established singer who wants to do other stuff as well.

/jarmo

I've heard that was more or less the reason John Todd didn't get the VR gig the first time. I personally will take "Fifteen" over and above either records VR turned out with Scott.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #379 on: May 15, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »

In a perfect world.

/jarmo

I've heard that was more or less the reason John Todd didn't get the VR gig the first time. I personally will take "Fifteen" over and above either records VR turned out with Scott.

In Slash's book he claims that the reason they got booted was that Todd was singing off key and Nelson was mostly replicating Slash's guitar parts for the rhythm

According to Todd, Slash gave them the axe without so much as an explanation.  Slash's story doesn't exactly sound believable.  First of all, Todd singing off key has never been an issue on the Buckcherry albums or his solo album, his vocals have always sounded good and he sounds pretty much identical live as he does on the albums.  So why would it be an issue here?  Second, the rhythm guitar was a total non-factor on Contraband anyway.  Third, even if it was true, why wouldn't someone be it the producer, the engineer, or Slash himself, ask Todd to re-do his vocals?  It's not that big of a deal, the singer lays down multiple takes on damn near every album released.  Why wouldn't someone make the suggestion that Nelson try to make his rhythm playing more varied?  Both of those sound like ridiculous reasons to kick someone out of a band especially when you're in the early stages of writing and recording

The much more logical train of thought is that they invited these guys into the fold and kicked them to the curb when the word that they could get someone who was not necessarily a better fit musically but was a bigger name who would be more likely to sell records.  They knew Todd and Nelson were a package deal so they kicked both to the curb, brought in the big name singer, and brought in an anonymous rhythm player who would know his role and be happy just to be there

It will be interesting to see who they hire.  My guess is they'll go after a big name but won't get anyone to bite so they'll hire someone less well known which may be the best thing for them musically
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: