Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:32:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Job Interviews
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job Interviews  (Read 4816 times)
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« on: March 21, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »

I did a search on htgth and coulden't find anything on this subject, so I wanted
to create one on job interviews.

Do people here like job interviews? Hate them?

My personal experience with job interviews is that I am not good at them. I've had only one out of four where I've done a good job but maybe I'm just too hard on myself. I did alright on my job interview yesterday but it was just a short, pre-liminary interview. I'm trying to get on with Verizon Wireless to do customer service, because I'm tired of keying freight bills all day long.

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »

I did a search on htgth and coulden't find anything on this subject, so I wanted
to create one on job interviews.

Do people here like job interviews? Hate them?

My personal experience with job interviews is that I am not good at them. I've had only one out of four where I've done a good job but maybe I'm just too hard on myself. I did alright on my job interview yesterday but it was just a short, pre-liminary interview. I'm trying to get on with Verizon Wireless to do customer service, because I'm tired of keying freight bills all day long.

I always get job interviews.  But the problem with me is when I get there, I end up stumping the interviewer to where I end up knowing more than they do about the company and then they don't hire me.

I don't care at this point.  I am enjoying unemployment peace
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »

^ That is probably the most smug response I've read on this board
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »

Just get in there and make that job your bitch!
western_chaos
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »

Just get in there and make that job your bitch!

lol.

In my 1st interview, I did so lousy, I was an hour late and gave some pretty dumb answers.

The questions I really hate are: "Name a time when you had to think twice about putting a gun to a customer's head."

---

But obviously, since I've had more interviews as time has gone on I've gotten much better and I've shown up on time everytime since.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Thats the key, practice. First few interviews don't always go that well - kinda like when you haven't dated in a while, haha. Preparation is good too, know the company, know the job and what they're looking for.  I would also advise not being an hour late!! haha.  if you are, DEF call ahead and apologize like there is NO tomorrow.

most importantly... BE CONFIDENT, almost cocky.  Sell yourself.  If you already have a job this should be the EASIEST thing in the world to do.  you have nothing to lose at this point.

expressing sincere interest in the company and the position is also very important.  they dont want someone who jut wants a job, they want someone who is passionate about the company and what they do.  even if you are BSing a bit, its good to act a little if need be.

finally, follow up is great. a quick email thanking them and referencing something you talked about in the interview is never hurts and again, shows you REALLY want the job.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
western_chaos
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »

Thats the key, practice. First few interviews don't always go that well - kinda like when you haven't dated in a while, haha. Preparation is good too, know the company, know the job and what they're looking for.  I would also advise not being an hour late!! haha.  if you are, DEF call ahead and apologize like there is NO tomorrow.

most importantly... BE CONFIDENT, almost cocky.  Sell yourself.  If you already have a job this should be the EASIEST thing in the world to do.  you have nothing to lose at this point.

expressing sincere interest in the company and the position is also very important.  they dont want someone who jut wants a job, they want someone who is passionate about the company and what they do.  even if you are BSing a bit, its good to act a little if need be.

finally, follow up is great. a quick email thanking them and referencing something you talked about in the interview is never hurts and again, shows you REALLY want the job.

Yeah, thanks. Before my interview yesterday, I researched and I did send them an e-mail today afterwards. They explained that it's phony but that it does indeed work sometimes.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:33:13 PM »

Good points Hill-Dog.  This one:  "  most importantly... BE CONFIDENT, almost cocky...."  shouldn't be too difficult for HTGTH members.  hihi

I've found the easiest interviews are for jobs you aren't crazy about.  I'd recommend doing interviews for jobs you may not really want...it's great practice.  

Be yourself.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Chris Misfit
Opening Act

Here Today...Drunk Today!

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »

Job Interview Tip: Offer and deliver good head.

Where's Jim?
western_chaos
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 08:55:12 PM »

Job Interview Tip: Offer and deliver good head.

Even if the interviewer is a woman?

Chris Misfit
Opening Act

Here Today...Drunk Today!

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »

Well, yes, otherwise, that would just be sexist.

Where's Jim?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »

With not only job interviews but jobs in general, I treat them like I dont need them. I have fun, I am myself, and my goal is always to be the person everyone wants to work with.

I want people to look on the schedule and pump their fist when they see themselves on my shift.

I am very talkative, I am always cracking jokes and doing shit that is funny and makes the days go by.

In interviews, I talk to the interviewer as if they are my friend. I never show fear or nervousness. Im just like FUCK IT, if I dont get it oh well.

cause I know if i worry and clam up I won't get it, so I might as well let my personality shine through and let it ride on that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39:31 PM »

To be honest, I didn't read this thead. I'm drunk. I really couldn't be bothered. (But hey!, at least I proof read, to an extent.) Erm, anyway. I always heard that the best wa\y to appraoch a serious job interview is to try and turn it around. To start asking them questions.

To be honest, once again... I just read the thread title. I didn't even glance at your post. I drew my own conclusions. Though, in the event that you're merely talking about a Wal-mart interview (check me, getting my Americania on!), the only advice that I would give is to be MASSIVELY depressed if you didn't get it. That's all.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »

Good points Hill-Dog.  This one:  "  most importantly... BE CONFIDENT, almost cocky...."  shouldn't be too difficult for HTGTH members.  hihi

I've found the easiest interviews are for jobs you aren't crazy about.  I'd recommend doing interviews for jobs you may not really want...it's great practice. 

Be yourself.   beer

EXCELLENT POINT - take EVERY interview you get.  1, you never know what might happen and 2, A4P is dead on, its practice and will give you more confidence.  the less you care, the more cocky you're likely to be (works with chicks too heheheheh)

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »

With not only job interviews but jobs in general, I treat them like I dont need them. I have fun, I am myself, and my goal is always to be the person everyone wants to work with.

I want people to look on the schedule and pump their fist when they see themselves on my shift.

I am very talkative, I am always cracking jokes and doing shit that is funny and makes the days go by.

In interviews, I talk to the interviewer as if they are my friend. I never show fear or nervousness. Im just like FUCK IT, if I dont get it oh well.

cause I know if i worry and clam up I won't get it, so I might as well let my personality shine through and let it ride on that.

great advice, every interview I've handled like D just described, I've gotten the job.  When I'm not like that, I usually don't get the offer.

once you have the job, no matter if you're good or bad at it, dress for success.  perception is reality.  Early impressions are key too - get their early and leave late for the first 3 months, always offer to help out with things when you have down time - let your employer know that they made a good hire.  that early impact goes A LONG way later....

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:43:23 PM »

Be yourself.   beer

well, I wouldn't say that to everyone on the HTGTH boards  rofl

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »

great advice, every interview I've handled like D just described, I've gotten the job.  When I'm not like that, I usually don't get the offer.

once you have the job, no matter if you're good or bad at it, dress for success.  perception is reality.  Early impressions are key too - get their early and leave late for the first 3 months, always offer to help out with things when you have down time - let your employer know that they made a good hire.  that early impact goes A LONG way later....

Definitely agree 100 percent with all of that.

I was always very friendly with the managers. I didnt treat them like enemies, I treated them just like regular people and they still to this day all love me very much. I quit to focus on school a few months ago and everytime I go back to visit everyone talks to me and it takes me an hour to get out of the place.

I went today to get my job back and not only did I get my job back, I got a much better position. I went from a regular worker to a "Chef"
So coming in on days off to cover people's shifts and staying late when someone called in and being friendly and entertaining paid off.

I also got like 4 raises in 6 months.

I read somewhere, i cant remember but the quote was "dont be a rebel if u signed up for it"

So, if u get the job, don't be a rebel, do what is asked of u and work hard.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »

The questions I really hate are: "Name a time when you had to think twice about putting a gun to a customer's head."

Uh...was that a real question? They didn't ask you anything about a gimp outfit did they?

But obviously, since I've had more interviews as time has gone on I've gotten much better and I've shown up on time everytime since.

Yea, you want to show up to an interview early and ready to go, never late.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »

Try rubbing one out before your interview too, it'll help you relax.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 02:22:18 AM »

Try rubbing one out before your interview too, it'll help you relax.

Yes , but make sure you clean up after . Don't want to walkinto the interview with some goo hanging on your ear or something.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: