Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R vs Metallica on 92.3 K-Rock's March Bracket Brawl MAR 28th at 4pm EDT
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R vs Metallica on 92.3 K-Rock's March Bracket Brawl MAR 28th at 4pm EDT  (Read 16441 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »

Yeah, probably the only time I've ever heard Axl get taken down on stage singing with someone else.

Tyler is arguably the greatest rock singer ever, so thats no shame. I love Tyler but I still like Axl's voice better.

Its like Mick Jagger on Sympathy for the Devil, its amazing how much Axl's voice blows his out of the water. If they dueted Mick would come off like Tom Petty did.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »

Yeah, probably the only time I've ever heard Axl get taken down on stage singing with someone else.

Tyler is arguably the greatest rock singer ever, so thats no shame. I love Tyler but I still like Axl's voice better.

Its like Mick Jagger on Sympathy for the Devil, its amazing how much Axl's voice blows his out of the water. If they dueted Mick would come off like Tom Petty did.

OHHH YESS, i love Tom Petty but axl owns him on that MTV performance.

And Axl did duet with Mick doing Salt of the Earth in 1989 (i think) you can get it on youtube, its a great performance if you havent seen it already.

html sucks
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »

mr lee

you are out of your fckn mind if you think anything skid row did could touch gnr.

the moderators took this down, why i dont know. im not sure why i even post here anymore...?
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 11:20:13 PM »

oh, im talking riffs. Not solos, no way do i think Scotti plays better guitar solos than slash.  I think the riffs in Slave are more original in style than appetites.

!!!

Nightrain?
Paradise City?
JUNGLE?
ROCKET QUEEN

Dude no way... Slash's playing was far more original than Slave , and not even slash but add Izzy's rhythm parts + writing skills , and AXL FREAKIN ROSE..... GNR WIPES Skid...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:22:37 PM by Feel_The_Burn » Logged
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »

Jimi Hendrix beat Kiss? Please thats retarded.

I thought that you were a guitarist?

So does he...

HAHA yeah, Id wipe the floor with u using one hand on guitar. Stick to your tabs junior. ok

Id take Kiss anyday of the week, better songs better live show better stage presence, way more entertaining.

I never said I can play the guitar.

Still, I don't think it's very smart to compare Kiss to Hendrix... He's the real shit.

To be honest, I never really understood the whole deal with Kiss... Their songs are not THAT great. Their shows might be (not sure about now), but I'd never compare them to a legend like Hendrix was...

I'll see them on May 18th, but I'm not THAT excited about it.

I'm more excited to see Lenny Kravitz on August 1st...

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »

So anyway, GN'R > Skid Row.

Next GN'R round:

Monday 3/24
7pm - Beasties vs. GN'R

If GN'R loses that on a rock station, then the world has definitely gone mad.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »

Next GN'R round:

Monday 3/24
7pm - Beasties vs. GN'R

/jarmo

Beasties to me are more of a fun novelty act. Something you don't turn off when it comes on, but I don't own anything they've ever done. Don't really get why they factor into a rock poll....outside of that first album do any of their songs even have much guitar? GnR should win this easily.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »

Next GN'R round:

Monday 3/24
7pm - Beasties vs. GN'R

/jarmo

Beasties to me are more of a fun novelty act. Something you don't turn off when it comes on, but I don't own anything they've ever done. Don't really get why they factor into a rock poll....outside of that first album do any of their songs even have much guitar? GnR should win this easily.

I know they are just setting GN'R up for easy wins , well then again I honestly think GN'R will easily take the cake until some of the more "legendary" bands come up ( Zeppelin , Pink Floyd , Stones , AC/DC , Aerosmith )
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

Paradise City?

ROCKET QUEEN

Dude no way... Slash's playing was far more original than Slave

2 bad examples, gnr lifted parts from sabbath and led zep for those songs.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »

Christos  Kiss has done more than most people think.

With Kiss its a double edged sword. Their gimmick is great and has helped make them huge BUT in the process it has really taken away from just how good of songs they have.

If u are judging Kiss based on songs like Rock N Roll All Nite, then Sure, I can see where people would think they aren't that great.  Rock N Roll All Nite is one of my least fav Kiss songs.

But Paul and Ace's guitar riffs are top notch

U should listen to Strutter, Detroit Rock City, God Of Thunder, War Machine, Creatures of The Night, Cold Gin, Callin Dr Love, Love Gun, I Stole Your Love, Firehouse, Black Diamond, Hotter than Hell

They have some amazing awesome songs. Great guitar riffs, great solos. Paul Stanley is one of the best vocalist and frontmen ever.

Jimi Hendrix is an amazing guitarist but his songwriting and frontman/vocal skills aren't that great.

Kiss' catalog definitely stacks up and plus Kiss changed the industry. They changed the way people approached concerts.  So its not beyond the realm of possibility to see where Kiss would be voted over Hendrix.  Its not in the same category as Skid Row over GNR thats for sure.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »

I suggest you go and "promote" your favorite bands, that aren't GN'R, in the right section from now on.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

I figured this thread could be for the "Whole" Contest

Guess not

God forbid we do something fun on here.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

Says the guy with 14000+ posts. If it's so boring, you know what to do.

I don't think it's "fun" to have to wade through posts about bands that I couldn't care less about, like Bon Jovi, in the GN'R section.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »

Ok, I started a thread in Bad Obsession for the rest of the contest.

Beasties Boys have no shot against GNR.

Beastie Boys are more than a fun novelty band though. Im sure most casual type probably only remember stuff like Fight For Your Right and Sabotage. but they have made some really great albums.

Still though, I see GNR winning at least 75 percent to 25percent.

freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 07:25:32 PM »

considering every Guns N Roses song ever released with the exception of "oh my god" is by Axl and "the other guys" I am assuming that is the band the votes are being based on....
I disagree.  As part of the 90.5%, my votes were based on my obsession with GNR as they are today.  And based on the fact that the paper used a recent pic of Axl to advertise this game (especially with the story being about Van Halen's disqualification), I think it's the current fans that were drawn in to vote.

And just what exactly are they today? As the poster said, EVERY song that this contest is using, has nothing to do with this current line up. Dont really matter what they call themselves. Again, no shot at the new band, seen them 2 times and really do like them.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »

And just what exactly are they today? As the poster said, EVERY song that this contest is using, has nothing to do with this current line up. Dont really matter what they call themselves. Again, no shot at the new band, seen them 2 times and really do like them.
I didn't even know that they were using songs in the contest.  hihi

I based my votes on a pic in the newspaper which was obviously taken during one of the shows from the 2006/2007 tour.  You know ... TODAY'S GNR!!!  headbanger

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »

I based my votes on a pic in the newspaper which was obviously taken during one of the shows from the 2006/2007 tour.  You know ... TODAY'S GNR!!!  headbanger

Oh, I am sorry, didnt know they meant what is your favorite picture? But if theu are talking about the MUSIC from this band, than read my post

Thanks
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »

Oh, I am sorry, didnt know they meant what is your favorite picture? But if theu are talking about the MUSIC from this band, than read my post

Thanks

If you're not clever enough to understand the simple fact that she was explaining how she thought and not talking in general terms, you might wanna ask somebody to explain the post to you.

/jarmo

freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:12 PM »

Thanks

If you're not clever enough to understand the simple fact that she was explaining how she thought and not talking in general terms, you might wanna ask somebody to explain the post to you.

/jarmo

It really is a shame that almost EVERY topic on these boards turn into the same old shit. New vs old. I try hard not to give in to it, but lets look at who always seems to bring it up. You start reading this post, and its pretty simple, vote for your favorite band. So about 10 post go by, until someone has to say "I assume they mean todays line up". Its is 90% of the time the fans that refuse to ackowledge why all the music we have exists, why this message board exist, etc. They have to come on here and tell me that the old guys are gone, the new band plays somebodies elses music so much better, etc. Who cares! What i really want to know, is why cant people just except things for what they are? The old band will always be assocaited with some of the greates music ever played, PERIOD! Axl can keep changing members all he wants, buy the rights to what ever he wants, the FACT remains that the old guys are legends. Now we move into 2008, the new band has toured, and they sound really great. Cant wait to hear some of the music they supposedly have on the disk that was supposedly turneds in. I support them as well.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »

It really is a shame that almost EVERY topic on these boards turn into the same old shit. New vs old. I try hard not to give in to it, but lets look at who always seems to bring it up. You start reading this post, and its pretty simple, vote for your favorite band. So about 10 post go by, until someone has to say "I assume they mean todays line up".

Yeah, and then you're happy to be the guy who has to start reminding us all about the past....

I mean, you're the guy who's called GN'R a cover band. So I guess you're one of the "real fans".  Roll Eyes

Some of your heroes wanted GN'R to be dead and buried by now. The same people who are out there playing GN'R songs in their new bands while claiming they've moved on.

They didn't get their way, and that's why you have GN'R "covering GN'R songs".

I think it's time for you to deal with the reality that in 2008, GN'R doesn't have anything to do with those guys.

People don't fucking vote for the former members when they vote for a band who's music they like.

Many of us fans don't make a fucking difference. It's all GN'R to us.

We are all aware of the band's history, it seems that a group of bitter fucking people are always inclined to remind us of the past.

The clich? line "I'm not putting the new band down, I love them BUT...." is often present in these posts.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:08:48 PM by jarmo » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: