Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Clive Davis urges singers to stop writing songs
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clive Davis urges singers to stop writing songs  (Read 7394 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: March 07, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »

By Michelle Nichols

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Music mogul Clive Davis, who helped launch stars like Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys, said singers should focus on what they do best and not feel pressured to write their own songs.

Davis, chairman and chief executive officer of the BMG Label Group, said he has seen many entertainers lose their careers by not concentrating on finding hit songs -- no matter who they are written by.

"The odds are always against you," Davis, 75, told the Billboard Music and Money Symposium on Thursday. "You have got to go over the best material, and that should win out, not withstanding any track record. I don't care how many No. 1's you have written in the past, have you written a new No. 1?"

When Houston came to him after her second or third album and asked if she should start writing songs, he said: "Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra Streisand, Frank Sinatra didn't write, and they are among Time magazine's greatest artists of the century."

He said 80 to 90 percent of the artists with whom he has worked over more than four decades wrote their own material. But in recent years, more entertainers who do not write have gained stardom due to the hit TV talent show "American Idol," where singing talent is discovered.

In fact, Davis had a public spat last year with inaugural "Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson over creative differences on her third album "My December," on which she co-wrote all the songs.

"She was not signed as a singer/songwriter," said Davis, adding that her manager believed there would be at least six hits on the album while market research had shown none.

"This issue only comes up when you're dealing with entertainers who might or might not have the ability to write pop songs," he said. Clarkson's second album sold 11 million copies worldwide, so Davis said there was a lot at stake.

"My December" has sold only 754,000 units since its June 2007 release, according to music tracker Nielsen SoundScan.

The pair resolved their dispute shortly after the album's release and are now working on a new record.

Reuters

So basically he thinks singers should just sing what they're told to sing.

Who needs singers who dare to have artistic visions and would like to be creative. Just let others write the songs so you can SELL products.

And yet the record companies wonder why people download this garbage.  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »

Wow. What a fucking croc of shit. He represents everything wrong with the music industry today.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »

Yeah, the focus on "hits" is probably one of the reasons why the record industry has problems selling records.

With downloading, people don't feel the need to buy a full album to get that one "hit" that's constantly on the radio or featured in a commercial....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

Absolutely. I always find it hard to get into an artist when they don't write there own material. An artist puts themselves out there, love them or hate them. This idea that Davis has ultimately kills art. Its American Idol. The singer becomes a soulless drone doing their best Karaoke. Davis is not a fan of music but of the dollar. He does not mind going through singer after singer like chewed up gum, as long as they give him a single. He doesn't like them or the music, he uses them. At least Don King is a fan of boxing. I hope there isn't a talented singer who writes and performs get suckered into signing a contract with this asshole. He will suck the purity right out of them.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »

well, it depends. you have songwriters who can't sing a thing, and amazing singers who are not talented to write something interesting.
of course it's better when you're a complete artist who can write music, lyrics, and sing.

if you're a clever singer without special abilities to write your own lyrics, you can work with great writers.
the most important thing is the result, a good song.

who wants to listen Whitney Houston's lyrics about how her wardrobe is wonderful, anyway.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »

well, it depends. you have songwriters who can't sing a thing, and amazing singers who are not talented to write something interesting.

That's true.

But I think there are many singers out there who are pretty much forced into hiring song writers just to please the record company....

Bob Dylan doesn't have hits either and his singing voice doesn't usually top lists of best singers. Wink

/jarmo

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »

Well, the old man finally went mad.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »

Whitney Houston's first album of original material since 2002 will be out by the holidays this year, according to Clive Davis, who's the head of her label.

Tracks for the album have been produced or written by will.i.am, Sean Garrett and Akon, who says, "The voice is there; I don't think anyone could ever take that from her. As long as we apply that voice to hit records, she'll be right back where she left off."

hahahahaha.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:44:47 PM »

Clive is a fucking joke.

The man should have left the business years ago.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »

The man is old and out of touch with what it means to be a true artist.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »

There's a reason it's called the music "business"...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »

Bob Dylan doesn't have hits ??

blowin' in the wind, like a rolling stone, mr tambourine man, knockin' on heaven's door, all along the watchtower, just like a woman, and so on...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

Bob Dylan doesn't have hits ??

blowin' in the wind, like a rolling stone, mr tambourine man, knockin' on heaven's door, all along the watchtower, just like a woman, and so on...

What I meant is, today.

These record companies are only interested in if you have hits on your current album.

Not if you had hits decades ago.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »

I dont put anybody in the same class as singer songwriters.

I dont look at Whitney Houston like I do Mariah Carey *Who writes most of her songs lyrically and melody*

I dont even look at Meat Loaf as a true artist. Great singer but he basically sang someone elses songs.

I can't relate to a song as well if it isn't written by the person singing it.

How can u sing what someone else lives?

I think with Pop Stars who are "Entertainers" not "Artists" probably shouldnt write as most truly suck.

But I have a feeling the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame will seize to exist in about 30 years because who the fuck belongs from the last 10 years?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »

Guys, I agree with you on this.  George Strait didn't write his stuff either and neither does most of country.  And it rubs me the wrong way like what D said.  Now, in a band setting, I think its cool if a singer like Axl maybe sings Izzy's lyrics because it was still a song written by that band.  And we can all still relate to Izzy. 

Is a singer songwriter more like a Jack Johnson type where its usually just one person and a piano or guitar?  I know Axl writes songs, but he wouldn't be considered a "singer/songwriter" would he?   Because he is in a band? 

I like Kelly Clarkson and its a shame her album didn't sell awesome.  I bet there are some gems on there.  I wonder if they promoted it less because they knew there were no big hits on it?
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »

Wow. What a fucking croc of shit. He represents everything wrong with the music industry today.

i second that
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 04:24:55 AM »

Senility is touching the old man.

Tom Waits: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards
Allison Krauss and Robert Plant: Raising Sand
Steve Earle:Washington Park Serinade
Serj Tankian:Elect The Dead

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 04:32:07 AM »

Everytime I read this topic I see 'Clay Davis' and start laughing. Ain't no dollars in writing songs, shiiiiiiiiit.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 07:05:19 AM »

what an ass-she sells 11 million copies of her second album, "only" 700,000 copies of the latest one-and he has the nerve to rip on her-I wonder how many people she made rich-good luck to anyone who can go out and sell 10 million copies of an album each time-ain't gonna happen

libertad
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:53 AM »

what an ass-she sells 11 million copies of her second album, "only" 700,000 copies of the latest one-and he has the nerve to rip on her-I wonder how many people she made rich-good luck to anyone who can go out and sell 10 million copies of an album each time-ain't gonna happen

I think that I get where you are coming from.

anyone who sells 1000k in this day and age ... sucks!!!

I agree ... I think; why should I(fuckin booze)

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: