Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261195 times)
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #860 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

I'm not sure if you're talking personally or nationally (ratings-wise).  I'm thinking nationally.

Both. I hope the Arizona Cardinals win the Superbowl. But nonetheless, whichever teams are in the Superbowl this year they will not bring that good of ratings.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #861 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

I'm not sure if you're talking personally or nationally (ratings-wise).  I'm thinking nationally.

Both. I hope the Arizona Cardinals win the Superbowl. But nonetheless, whichever teams are in the Superbowl this year they will not bring that good of ratings.

I think people watch the Super Bowl regardless of who is playing.

It's a national event.

Even people who don't watch the game watch it for the commercials.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #862 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:36 PM »

The West Coast may not be as interested in this Super Bowl...(the Cards are not going to Tampa)

Kurt Warner...I respect his story and his guts, I respect the courage, but dammit, Jesus Christ doesn't care if he wins or loses a football game.  For once I want him asking after a loss, "Jesus, why did you want me to lose?," because he's always quick to thank JC after the wins.  Just sayin'.

...at least Donovan keeps his thanks to the big man upstairs confidential...on a phone towards the end of the game.
 hihi 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #863 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »

It's a national event.

I would agree with that statement, when Daaa Bears played against Indy I still watched the game even though i despise both teams with a passion unmatched by anything or anyone  hihi

It's football, and I love football, and it's the biggest game of them all.. of course if your a fan of football your gonna watch the game regardless of who's playing.

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #864 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »

It's a national event.

I would agree with that statement, when Daaa Bears played against Indy I still watched the game even though i despise both teams with a passion unmatched by anything or anyone  hihi

It's football, and I love football, and it's the biggest game of them all.. of course if your a fan of football your gonna watch the game regardless of who's playing.

Only three games left.

Damn it.

Fucking fuck.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #865 on: January 14, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »

I said last week that Panthers' fans were hugely underestimating the Cardinals, but, damn't, I'm doing the exact same thing this week. But I just don't see how the Eagles lose this game. I think they'll beat the Cards by 20+ points.

I mean, Arizona's defense has been playing pretty well lately, but they're nowhere near as good as the Giants D or the Vikings D, and if McNabb and the Eagles could move the ball halfway decently against those guys, they should be able to march up and down the field at will against the Cards. I expect Westbrook to finally have a big day rushing. Besides, I think all the talk of AZ's defense suddenly "arriving" is a bit of a mirage. They beat a rookie QB the first week in the playoffs. And then last week Delhomme just played the worst I think I've ever seen a QB play. If you watched that game, it wasn't so much AZ's defense making plays as it was Delhomme forcing things and making horrible decisions. Plus the Panthers totally got away from their running game.

The Eagles have one of the best, if not THE best, secondaries in the league. Sheldon Brown, Asante Samuel, Dawkins, Mikell, Hanson, Shepherd . . . I think those guys will be able to hold the AZ WRs in check. Plus the Eagles should be able to get enough pressure on Warner to force a few turnovers. And if the Eagles managed to contain Adrian Peterson and Brandon Jacobs, they sure as hell should be able to stuff Edgerrin James.

Maybe I'm hugely over-estimating the Cardinals, but I think the Eagles are a much, much, much more talented team.

Here Today . . .
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #866 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:10 AM »

It's a national event.

Sorta, kinda.

It always pulls a pretty big number, no matter who is playing.  But there are variances of "big".    Now, granted, a 40.0 is considered  relatively "low", below that would be considered a "flop"...but last years game, with 2 marquee teams, ended up pulling about 97.5 million viewers, with 148 million "unique" viewers (meaning, saw the game at some point). That's the most all time. That game popped a 43.3, the highest in quite awhile.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3229763

I suspect that WITH the Steelers, the variance of "big" is somewhere in the middle.  Without them, it's somewhere on the low side.  Couple that with the fact that advertisers are scaling back on the "interesting" (ie: expensive) commercials. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:50:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #867 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »

Well this years Superbowl has gone right down the drain. No reason to watch now!

Go Cards!

Pittsburgh is really the only team left that has proven it can draw a national audience...and even their popularity has waned somewhat.

Philly, Arizona, and Baltimore.....'eh.  Philly/Pittsburgh is the most "marketable" of the scenario's for the Super Bowl, I think...for obvious reasons.

Philly vs Arizona this week has shades of a BAD NFC East game from not too many years ago.  I don't have high expectations for Steelers/Ravens, either...though I suspect that one might be a LITTLE more inteteresting.

Philly /Baltimore would be a snoozefest of epic proportions, IMHO.

Pittsburgh/Arizona has the appeal of the Steelers, which would help a bit, but......does anyone really WATCH Arizona play?  Even the folks IN Arizona?  Other than their run being a tiny bit interesting (assuming they made it that far)....any reason to watch them?  They're not exactly an exciting team, usually.  Does anyone actually KNOW an AZ Cards fan?  I've never met one.

A Pittsburgh-Arizona Superbowl has more stories than you think.  Wisenhunt and the other guy (can't think of his name) lost out to Mike Timlin in the interviewing process for the Steelers job when Cower resigned/retired; and it was widely assumed by steeler fans that Wisenhunt was the "heir apparant"
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #868 on: January 14, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »

It's a national event.

Sorta, kinda.

It always pulls a pretty big number, no matter who is playing.  But there are variances of "big".    Now, granted, a 40.0 is considered  relatively "low", below that would be considered a "flop"...but last years game, with 2 marquee teams, ended up pulling about 97.5 million viewers, with 148 million "unique" viewers (meaning, saw the game at some point). That's the most all time. That game popped a 43.3, the highest in quite awhile.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3229763

I suspect that WITH the Steelers, the variance of "big" is somewhere in the middle.  Without them, it's somewhere on the low side.  Couple that with the fact that advertisers are scaling back on the "interesting" (ie: expensive) commercials. 

Everyone wanted to see if the Patriots could pull off a perfect season.

You know what though?  Last year's commercials were not very good.  Hopefully we can have some good commercials this year.  Maybe having less money to spend will help.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #869 on: January 14, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »

Todd McFarlane > Nostradamus

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #870 on: January 14, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »

Trivia question:  What NFL team has the most female fans?
answer:  the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I don't know where I saw this stat, but my memory's damn good.  I'm guessing they base this off of female merchandise sold.
Steelers-Eagles will get big ratings.
Cards vs. Ravens would see a definite down-tick in ratings.
Of course this season's big game won't hold a candle to Giants-Patriots numbers.  Bigger metro areas plus the pretty-boy qb and undefeated team angles.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #871 on: January 15, 2009, 06:49:39 AM »

A Pittsburgh-Arizona Superbowl has more stories than you think.  Wisenhunt and the other guy (can't think of his name) lost out to Mike Timlin in the interviewing process for the Steelers job when Cower resigned/retired; and it was widely assumed by steeler fans that Wisenhunt was the "heir apparant"

There are always little subplots and intertwinings, and the media will do the best it can with whatever little nuggests exist.  They'll pull in the hardcore FOOTBALL fans with some of those.

But the casual fan?  Or the less hardcore fan of a particular team, who's team isn't in it?  I don't know.  I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #872 on: January 15, 2009, 06:54:36 AM »

You know what though?  Last year's commercials were not very good.  Hopefully we can have some good commercials this year.  Maybe having less money to spend will help.

For sure, that was part of it.  But you also had two HUGE, high profile teams playing.  ALL of that were factors.

But it just goes to the point:  There are variances of "big".  I wouldn't expect, given the teams and "storylines" left that ANY matchup is going to pop the number they did last year.  Just a hunch.

But I would also guess that if you have AZ vs Baltimore in the Superbowl.....your number is going to be substantially less (I'm thinking sub 40, or VERY close to 40, in the ratings) than the number you'd get with Pittsburgh vs anyone which would be lower than the number you'd likely get with Pittsburgh vs Philly.  Of course, we'll never know for sure...but it's what I suspect.

Together again,
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #873 on: January 15, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »

For sure, that was part of it.  But you also had two HUGE, high profile teams playing.  ALL of that were factors.

But it just goes to the point:  There are variances of "big".  I wouldn't expect, given the teams and "storylines" left that ANY matchup is going to pop the number they did last year.  Just a hunch.

But I would also guess that if you have AZ vs Baltimore in the Superbowl.....your number is going to be substantially less (I'm thinking sub 40, or VERY close to 40, in the ratings) than the number you'd get with Pittsburgh vs anyone which would be lower than the number you'd likely get with Pittsburgh vs Philly.  Of course, we'll never know for sure...but it's what I suspect.

Last year you had:
1. NYC vs. Boston
2. A perfect team going for 19-0
3. A highly competitive game

A recipe for HUGE numbers.

But regarding the market size of the teams involved, I don't think that matters as much as the nature of the game.  I mean, the 1982 Superbowl of SF vs. Cinncinatti is the highest rated game of all-time.  At that time, SF wasn't a dynasty and Joe Montana wasn't close to being considered one of the best of all-time.  And besides those in Cinncinnati, who cares about Cinncy?  But that was a great game and came down to a 2 minute drill in the 4th Qtr where the legend of Joe Cool started
sandman
Legend

« Reply #874 on: January 15, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »

Thanks Gilee!   beer  But I'll tell ya what.  That writer should have used my posts from here at HTGTH in his article.  The black-white thing just muddies the water...use statistics!  McNabb has better stats than Elway over his first 9 seasons. (and just as many SB rings Wink)  That's right, and most folks don't know it.  Just sayin'.

Go Donovan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

i think most people are well aware McNabb has some great stats. everyone knows he's a good QB. elway was criticized for years despite being considered a great leader and a clutch performer (he had several 4th quarter comebacks throughout his career). it takes a superbowl win to get any type of real respect. and its even more important for mcnabb because of his previous failures in the SB and a 1-3 record in the NFC champ games. Elway had "the drive," mcnabb has "the choke."

but now he has a chance to erase all that. with two more wins this year, he can change his legacy. people like me can no longer say he is a choke artist or a poor leader. cause all those stats combined with a SB win puts him on the steps of the Hall of Fame. and with a few more great years or a second SB victory, he becomes a lock IMO. here's an article that looks at that very issue, and i think is pretty fair overall: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28659564/

as for the games so far, mcnabb has played great. i don't think people have given him enough credit. the stats aren't telling the whole story. against the vikes, he was on target all game and took what they gave him. he managed the game well. and vs. the giants, he stepped up and made big plays when we needed them. the 3rd and 20 conversion was the play of the game.

still, he has (or had) the all-time lowest INT ratio, yet he's thrown 3 INTs in 2 playoff games. that trend has to stop.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #875 on: January 15, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »

Sandman, I'm glad you're here.  Even you will admit that 3 interception # is a bit misleading.  That one int was a fluke tipped ball picked by a lineman.

2nd, all I could think of was you when I read this article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/news/story?id=3833227

We had that argument a long time ago.  You tried telling me McNabb was loved by Philly fans...this article says what I've always said, he's not.  Maybe we can agree on the fact McNabb isn't the ideal fir for a town like Philly.  Philly is a Rocky Balboa, blue-collar, Joe 6-Pack (Palin wink and high-five  hihi), kind of town...at least the Eagle fans are.  Donovan, as everybody knows, has more of a California attitude.  He's always smiling, having fun, and as 5 trips in the last 8 years to the NFC Championship game shows, he gets the job done.

...and, p.s., let's not be revisionist historians.  John Elway was not known for "The Drive" at the same point of his career Donovan's in right now with the Eagles.  He was a "Choke Artist!"  Was it fair?  Hell no!  He got crushed in Super Bowls...he got whacked in AFC Championship games.  Remember what football team super-villain Hank Scorpio gave Homer Simpson?  It was the Broncos...Homer was pissed.  That was the early '90's.  Just sayin'.  Cheesy

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #876 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »

Sandman, I'm glad you're here.  Even you will admit that 3 interception # is a bit misleading.  That one int was a fluke tipped ball picked by a lineman.

We had that argument a long time ago.  You tried telling me McNabb was loved by Philly fans...this article says what I've always said, he's not. 

just because an article says something, doesn't make it true. the minority that hate him are just the loudest. but nobody mentions all the cheers, the mob scenes when he does appearences, and how #5 is the top selling jersey and the one you see the most at games. or the fact that eagles fans voted him as the greatest QB to ever play for the team - he actually got more votes than every other QB combined.

and mcnabb doesn't help things cause he continues to bring up the fact that his feelings were hurt when a bunch of half-brains who call themselves the "dirty 30" booed the selection of a QB when they wanted a RB (again, not booing mcnabb, but booing management for not picking their guy).

Elway wasn't known as a choke artist. "the drive" happened in 1987, which i believe was elway's 4th season. he's always been recognized for that. he also had a ton of 4th quarter comebacks. his teams were overmatched in the SB losses - i believe they were huge underdogs in each. and he didn't lose AFC championship games....he lost one. he won his first three and went 5-1 overall. compared to mcnabb who lost his first 3.

mcnabb's leadership ability is in question. that is a fact, fair or not. he's most remembered for literally choking in the super bowl, and for being a jokester. which is a shame because there's alot more he should be recognized for like his great stats, big play ability, and his toughness (he's played hurt numerous times - 2002 being the greatest example).

other athletes have had it tougher than mcnabb, but they made an effort to get along with the fans and could understand where they are coming from. Burrell is a perfect example. he worked hard and said the right things despite being destroyed by fans and the media for a few years. he took the approach that they feel that way because they are so passionate, and it's better they care than not care at all.

anyway, like i said, mcnabb has a chance to step up and cement his legacy as a winning NFL QB with some potential HoF credientials. some QBs can never get over the mountain. hopefully the comparisons to elway become even stronger in the next 2.5 weeks.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #877 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »

Great post Sandman

McNabb is a very good quarterback. I'd probably compare him more to Jim Kelly than John Elway.

Elway also never had amazing receivers till maybe Rod Smith. He did have Shannon Sharpe but Elway pulled a huge superbowl upset beating Green Bay. McNabb hyperventilated and puked in the huddle.....

Just sayin, McNabb still has to do it. Getting to the NFC title game is nothing new for him. He has to break through before he is no longer a choker in my book.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #878 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »

All this talk about the Cowboys dumping T.O. is making me very happy. I hope they do dump his punk ass quick! Maybe people are now starting to wake up and realize you cannot win with these pricks on your team.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #879 on: January 15, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »

We had that argument a long time ago.  You tried telling me McNabb was loved by Philly fans...this article says what I've always said, he's not. 

just because an article says something, doesn't make it true. the minority that hate him are just the loudest. but nobody mentions all the cheers, the mob scenes when he does appearences, and how #5 is the top selling jersey and the one you see the most at games. or the fact that eagles fans voted him as the greatest QB to ever play for the team - he actually got more votes than every other QB combined.

Knowing Philly fans, the poll was taken after an Eagles win.  After an Eagles loss, 90% would want him out of Philly...I believe the term is "fairweather."   ok

and mcnabb doesn't help things cause he continues to bring up the fact that his feelings were hurt when a bunch of half-brains who call themselves the "dirty 30" booed the selection of a QB when they wanted a RB (again, not booing mcnabb, but booing management for not picking their guy).

It was low-class.  The ironic part is that the guy with mental issues turned out to be the guy they wanted in the 1st place (Ricky Ganja Williams)

Elway wasn't known as a choke artist. "the drive" happened in 1987, which i believe was elway's 4th season. he's always been recognized for that. he also had a ton of 4th quarter comebacks. his teams were overmatched in the SB losses - i believe they were huge underdogs in each. and he didn't lose AFC championship games....he lost one. he won his first three and went 5-1 overall. compared to mcnabb who lost his first 3.

Revisionist historian alert.  He was known as a choke artist in the big game.  He didn't get the good rap until he won the Super Bowl.

mcnabb's leadership ability is in question. that is a fact, fair or not. he's most remembered for literally choking in the super bowl, and for being a jokester. which is a shame because there's alot more he should be recognized for like his great stats, big play ability, and his toughness (he's played hurt numerous times - 2002 being the greatest example).

Incorrect, McNabb is an excellent leader and has been recognized as such.  He leads by example, not by in your face bullshit.

other athletes have had it tougher than mcnabb, but they made an effort to get along with the fans and could understand where they are coming from. Burrell is a perfect example. he worked hard and said the right things despite being destroyed by fans and the media for a few years. he took the approach that they feel that way because they are so passionate, and it's better they care than not care at all.

McNabb doesn't give p.r. based politically correct crap.  When he sees crap he calls it like it is.  He calls a spade a spade.

anyway, like i said, mcnabb has a chance to step up and cement his legacy as a winning NFL QB with some potential HoF credientials. some QBs can never get over the mountain. hopefully the comparisons to elway become even stronger in the next 2.5 weeks.

He'll win against AZ, and lose against Pitt, and you'll be on here ripping him a new a-hole no matter how well he plays or how many points the defense gives up.   peace

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: