Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:12:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261256 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #800 on: January 07, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »

Wait

I'm not talking about when the player can't move any further and there is a pile and the ref blows his whistle.

I am talking about if WR catches the football at the 20 yard line, but the DB hits him and knocks him back to the 18 and tackles him.

they give forward progress to the 20.

I think if a Defender can push that guy backwards, that should be where the ball is spotted.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #801 on: January 07, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »

By your logic, a guy can score a touchdown, but if a DB hits him and he ends up on the 1, there is no touchdown scored.

Forward Progress FTW.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #802 on: January 07, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »

By your logic, a guy can score a touchdown, but if a DB hits him and he ends up on the 1, there is no touchdown scored.

Forward Progress FTW.

no cause once u cross the goal line its a TD.

it just sort of robs a defender if he can make a great hit.

lets say its 4th and 1. a guy gets a yard past the line but the defense can wrap him up and push him back behind the line. To me, the ball should be where the guy is when the tackle is made.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #803 on: January 07, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »

Forward Progress FTW.

lets say its 4th and 1. a guy gets a yard past the line but the defense can wrap him up and push him back behind the line. To me, the ball should be where the guy is when the tackle is made.

An offensive player is robbed of a brilliant play he may have made to get the first down because some giant ape carried him back behind the line.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #804 on: January 07, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »

Forward Progress FTW.

D, think about it.  If you think injuries are bad now, just wait until you get rid of "forward progress."  By the time guys would be tackled you'd have a pile-up every damn time.  The spotting of the ball would be even less accurate than it already is.  Forward progress isn't an issue for good defenses...why?  Because they wrap up the offensive player.  Good tackling teams don't have problems with forward progress.  A system that rewards good defense and punishes crappy defense is good in my book.   peace  "Wrap up!!!" 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #805 on: January 07, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »

Absolutely!  Shed your blocks, wrap up, keep chugging, lift and put the ball carrier on his back.  No arm tackles, keep low, don't stand up straight off the line, move on the ball, make sure you scrape and cut the angles.  Plug the holes up and on covers make sure you can smell the receivers breath.  Eyes on the ball, full throttle 110%. Now let's go out and get that ball back.  Big-D on 3. 1-2-3 Big-D!

A.P. Story:Eric Mangini close to signing with the Browns as Head Coach.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:35:30 PM by JMack » Logged

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #806 on: January 07, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »

Well it's about freakin' time! I just wonder which ignorant NFL team will pick him up now.  Roll Eyes

Cowboys release troubled CB Pacman Jones

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsoHlJi5YZadeVbP4lONq0tDubYF?slug=ap-cowboys-pacmanjones&prov=ap&type=lgns

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #807 on: January 07, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »

Well it's about freakin' time! I just wonder which ignorant NFL team will pick him up now.  Roll Eyes

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsoHlJi5YZadeVbP4lONq0tDubYF?slug=ap-cowboys-pacmanjones&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm a Vikes fan and honestly, I wouldn't mind having him cheap.  Anything to stop quarterbacks from raping us for 300+ every damn game!  Do I sound desperate?  You're goddamn right!  I'm so ashamed.   Embarrassed

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #808 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »

Source:

Goodbye and good riddance. I hope he's out of the league forever now.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #809 on: January 07, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »

Goodbye and good riddance. I hope he's out of the league forever now.

I hope he's gone for good as well. This asshole thug doesn't deserve any more chances! But like I said, I'm just waiting for the next ignorant NFL team to give this prick yet another chance.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #810 on: January 07, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

There are always the Raiders

I could see Bill Belicheck taking him in cheap

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #811 on: January 07, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

Talent's talent...sign him to a league minimum with a no-tolerance for shit contract.

Adam Jones is not gone forever, trust me. 

Mangini will do well in Cleveland...but I wonder what the hell the Browns are going to do with the Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn thing...or for that matter the Patriots with Brady/Cassel.  The latest rumor had the Pats franchising Cassel.  The Pats and Browns are fucking quarterback hogs!  Don't they realize there are teams like my Vikes that don't have a quarterback?  Dammit!  rant

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #812 on: January 07, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »

There are always the Raiders

I could see Bill Belicheck taking him in cheap
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him if I believed he could help.  I'm not so sure he can though.  He's never shown me much as a CB in the NFL, he's done some good things on special teams but I think he's highly overrated as a DB.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #813 on: January 08, 2009, 12:40:54 AM »

Cassel has to be franchised period.  Anderson will be sought after possibly by the JETS if Farve doesn't come back and they want to give Ratliff another year.  It's his team before Clemens.  Look for the JETS to trade with KC, Miami and possibly the Browns.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »

Cassel has to be franchised period.  Anderson will be sought after possibly by the JETS if Farve doesn't come back and they want to give Ratliff another year.  It's his team before Clemens.  Look for the JETS to trade with KC, Miami and possibly the Browns.
It's looking like the Patriots will franchise Cassel.  At this point it seems like an absolutely necessary move with the uncertainty of Brady's recovery.  Even if the reports that he's behind schedule aren't true there's no guarantee he's gonna come back 100% right out of the gate.  In fact, that's highly unlikely.  They're gonna have a lot of money tied up in the QB position, which is going to hinder them from improving the team in other areas to a point (secondary, pass rush).  Then again, anyone who thinks it's more the system than the QB (not me).  I've heard people say it though, then why tie up that much money in one position.  Just throw 2nd year QB Kevin O'Connell out there until Tom is ready to go.  Again, not something I'd be in favor of.  They did draft the guy in the 3rd round, while they drafted both Brady and Cassel in the 6th, so they obviously do think pretty highly of him.  But I'm not so sure sending out a 2nd year QB to lead a Super Bowl contender would be a good idea.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #815 on: January 09, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »

Browns will have Quinn starting with Gradkowski, Dorsey, or a later-round draft pick as #2 and 3.  Anderson WILL be on the trading block, guaranteed.  Granted, that's a move that should have been made a year ago when he was worth something, not now.

Not sure how much I like having Mangina come in, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for 2 years.  If the Browns are no closer to sniffing the playoffs than they have been, then we got screwed again.  The biggest change is not the loss of Crennel, but the loss of Phil Savage, the GM.  Savage was the real power and idiocy behind the past few years, while Crennel was nothing but a yes-man to him.  For evidence, read http://www.ohio.com/sports/36858599.html

My biggest fear: the new GM will be Kokinis from Baltimore, a guy with no experience.  I'd rather see them interview Rich McKay.  Perhaps the Browns may give a Parcells-in-Miami type of position to Bernie Kosar or Marty Schottenheimer?  Side note: while the Indians have Wedgiro (Wedge and Shapiro) running the show, the Browns could have Mankok.  Which is exactly what the Browns sucked this season.

Rob Ryan as DC?  At least the Raiders have been able to stop the run, something the Browns haven't learned how to do in a 3-4 scheme.  Then again, you can take a good 4-3 MLB (like Andra Davis), and he'll be complete and utter shit as an ILB in a 3-4.  When you rely on that and an aging Willie McGinest, you're asking for trouble.  The DL was great this year, they did their jobs well, but a 3-4 needs good LB's to stop the run.  If you don't have them, the backs will get into the secondary every time.  I'd rather see a shift back to the 4-3, but Mangina said it ain't happening.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #816 on: January 10, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »

It's looking like the Patriots will franchise Cassel.  At this point it seems like an absolutely necessary move with the uncertainty of Brady's recovery.  Even if the reports that he's behind schedule aren't true there's no guarantee he's gonna come back 100% right out of the gate.  In fact, that's highly unlikely.  They're gonna have a lot of money tied up in the QB position, which is going to hinder them from improving the team in other areas to a point (secondary, pass rush).  Then again, anyone who thinks it's more the system than the QB (not me).  I've heard people say it though, then why tie up that much money in one position.  Just throw 2nd year QB Kevin O'Connell out there until Tom is ready to go.  Again, not something I'd be in favor of.  They did draft the guy in the 3rd round, while they drafted both Brady and Cassel in the 6th, so they obviously do think pretty highly of him.  But I'm not so sure sending out a 2nd year QB to lead a Super Bowl contender would be a good idea.

So if brady is on schedule they will franchise cassel and trade him. Thats probably what will happen. If Cassel isnt traded anytime before the draft we know 100% that brady is behind schedule.

Bottom line is that if Brady is progessing as he should be, Cassel will be traded. They will not want to tie up that much money if Brady's injury is progressing well. They would Franchise Cassel either way becuz if they decide to let him go they will want to get something for him.

Picks of the week. Was 2-2 Last week.

Upset Pick(havent posted em all on here but have been doin these with friends. I'm 12-5 for upsets, so thats not bad, but this last time..boo): Eagles over Giants

Home teams win the rest.

Lock of the Week: Panthers Over Cardinals. There is absolutely no way the Panthers lose.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #817 on: January 10, 2009, 01:26:55 AM »

^Hightimes, I don't think it's that easy.  Isn't there a rule about trading a franchised player???  I thought it was something like 2 #1 draft picks were required...a lot of folks are ga-ga over Cassel, but not for that kind of price.

My lock of the week is a Steelers victory...whether or not they'll cover, I don't know.

Overall:
Steelers-Titans
Eagles-Panthers

All-Pennsylvania Super Bowl...didn't I call for that before the season started???   yes

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #818 on: January 10, 2009, 01:31:38 AM »

^Hightimes, I don't think it's that easy.  Isn't there a rule about trading a franchised player???  I thought it was something like 2 #1 draft picks were required...a lot of folks are ga-ga over Cassel, but not for that kind of price.

My lock of the week is a Steelers victory...whether or not they'll cover, I don't know.

Overall:
Steelers-Titans
Eagles-Panthers

All-Pennsylvania Super Bowl...didn't I call for that before the season started???   yes

No the way the franchise rule works is if another teams wants to just offer him a contract they have to give up 2 #1 picks but New England can just choose to trade him at lesser value. Like if Detroit wanted him but new england didnt want to trade him they would have to give up two #1 picks but New England could just choose to trade him to detroit for a whatever they negotiate. Detroit is just used as an example team.  smoking

Edit: Thats why it is so useful in this situation. It gives New England full control on Cassel. They can choose to keep him if Brady is not rehabbing as he should be for a high price or they can take offers from anybody and everybody for Cassel if Brady's rehab is going well.  smoking
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:36:25 AM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #819 on: January 10, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »

^Thanks High_Times, makes sense now.  Yeah, he has to be franchised then.  It's a no-brainer...that said, I don't see the Lions making a play for him.  Perhaps the Vikes, Bears, Bucs, or Jets?  (sounds like the same teams competing for Favre last season)

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: