Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261272 times)
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #780 on: January 03, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

My 2 favorite teams are Steelers and Giants and they are both still in it!  beer

Why don't you just....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #781 on: January 03, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »

How do u all feel about the forward progress rule?

I always thought, If you catch the football at the 20 but they drag you back to the 30, that is where the ball should be.

I wonder if the rule now has always been the rule or if it got changed at some point?

To me, it seems unfair to give someone forward progress. If the D can move them back, that should count.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #782 on: January 03, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »

I always thought, If you catch the football at the 20 but they drag you back to the 30, that is where the ball should be.

I wonder if the rule now has always been the rule or if it got changed at some point?

To me, it seems unfair to give someone forward progress. If the D can move them back, that should count.

Agreed.  I've never understood this rule.  Anybody know the justification? 

by the way, my e-a-s-y pick for the Falcons-Cards was AZ all the way!  28-17 in the 3rd quarter, Cards ball.  Told ya so!  Smiley

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #783 on: January 03, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »

Atlanta is just falling apart now and it looks like they may be out of the playoffs this year unless they rally and make a comeback.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #784 on: January 03, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »

It's games like this I wish I was a gambler.   hihi  That said, if you wanna get on the Axl4Prez stone cold lock parade, I'm calling Colts and Dolphins...I'm totally conflicted between head and heart with Eagles-Vikes. 

My Catholic upbringing must be calling me back, Cards-Colts, Dolphins (C.C.D.)   hihi

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #785 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Falcons going to get one more opportunity for a game winning drive, I hope they do it, I've seen some blown calls from the refs in todays game that have been a bit shameful.

I mean, is it just me, or have the Cards D-Line been going offsides like the entire game and only getting called for it like twice???  Angry

*EDIT* Nevermind, the Falcons D just blew the fuckin game, nice job letting the Cards get a 3rd down and a mile conversion.. jeez, thats just pathetic

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #786 on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »

Actually, the Cardinals should have had a safety earlier in the game with a clearly blown call as Bertrand Berry was held in the end zone.  The Cards won this game fair and square...they stopped the run and let the rookie qb have his chance...he showed he's a rookie.  Next rookie qb experience comes up tomorrow afternoon...watch Joe Flacco do the same thing.  Dolphins will cover +3 1/2.

Colts will win.  Enjoy!

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »

Will be at the Dolphin game tomorrow. so fucking pumped.  yes yes yes yes yes Cool beer
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #788 on: January 04, 2009, 03:04:37 AM »

What a bummer! Atlanta and Indianapolis are now both out of the playoffs. 0-2 to start the weekend for me.  Undecided

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #789 on: January 04, 2009, 12:25:06 PM »

I picked the Cardinals to upset. Been doing this upset pick of the week thing with my friends over the entire season. That puts me at 12-5 for upsets. Not to shabby. It wasn't 41-35 but at least I got it right. However I am pretty shocked that the Colts lost. Pathetic.

Picks today:

I got the Ravens killing the Dolphins in the rematch.

What Eagle team will show up? The good one. Or the really really bad one. I say the mediocre one. Vikes win. Home teams go 3-1 in the wild card.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #790 on: January 04, 2009, 12:26:28 PM »

How fucking hard is it to change that stupid dumb ass Overtime rule?

A Team works their ass off to make it to the postseason, u get into OT and u don't even get a chance at the football. That sucks.

in OT each team should get at least 1 offensive possession.

SD deserved to win that game though. they thoroughly out played Indy all day only to fuck up in huge moments.

that TD they gave up to Wayne in the 3rd quarter was horrible, Sproles fumbling on the one, the huge INT Rivers threw in the end zone.

This game should've been a blowout.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #791 on: January 04, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »

D, what do you think of the idea that Mike Shanahan could possibly come to Dallas? Now, I don't think Shanahan is the perfect coach but I do think he's definitely a good coach. There's talk he could come as soon as 2009 but maybe not until 2010. I think it would be a great start to what needs to be changed in Dallas as far as personnel. We don't need another year of Wade Phillips! Start with the coach and then start getting rid of the players!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #792 on: January 04, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »

No

If you are waiting, I say throw the kitchen sink at Bill Cowher.

We need a Coach that is like cowher. He demands accountability and is a proven winner regardless of the circumstances.

Shanahan hasn't done shit without John Elway, So i am not sure I want him even though he is a legend.

If we can't get Cowher though, I'd definitely take Shanahan over what we have right now.

I was watching so much football this weekend and just thinking about what is wrong with my Cowboys' team.

It is very obvious.

1.The Offense SUCKS. not the players but the schemes and play calls. Everything is vertical with Witten going across the middle. we run few screens, few slants, few crossing routes, few come backs, few outs. It is all DOWN the field Flys or posts which are piss easy to defend with a cover 2 defense.

Ray Lewis said Dallas' offense was the easiest most simplistic offense he has played against.

2.Discipline: so many stupid penalties at the worst time. false starts, holding, just drive killers and we seem to always get way too many

3. Leadership: we need a locker room and on the field leader that can grab people by the collar and get them fired up. Those 2 long runs by Baltimore is a great example. That should never happen but that is what happens when u do the same shit on Defense every single play.

when a team is blitzing, there are certain plays u call to counter that.  Screen passes * I remember once, Bill Belicheck called like 10 screens in a row*  draw plays, or good ole fashioned quick hitting HB Trap/Dive plays.

especially on 3-4 defenses. When the outside Backers are blitzing, the Tackles can just let them go and that leaves HUGE running lanes. the Center and Tackles knock out the NT and DE's and the Guards go to the 2nd level and block the inside LB's and it is then man on man RB vs a safety.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:55:24 PM by D » Logged

G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #793 on: January 04, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

I got the Dolphins winning a close game, somethin like 10-13.

And the Eagles blowin out the Vikings, 28-10

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #794 on: January 04, 2009, 01:08:29 PM »

I could see Cowher coming to Dallas if the right situation was presented to him. But how many more years does he have left in the tank as well? I'm just so sick of Wade Phillips who has never done anything to begin with.

On the Colts/Chargers games last night, how many more times can Peyton Manning be a letdown? I like him but he is one of the most annoying quarterbacks to watch. His jitterbugging feet and legs, and he always looks like he doesn't know how to run.

I can salvage my weekend today if the Vikings will just beat the Eagles and pound McNabb!

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #795 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »

Sorry, Cowher announced he will not be coaching in '09.

About the Cowboys, I've got a theory on why Jerry Jones keeps this guy around.  He looks like a young Jerry Jones.  It's ego.  It's like he's trying to live vicariously through this dude who looks like a younger version of himself. 

Anyhow, I'm not as down on this team as D.  Marion Barber was hobbled.  Felix Jones was out for the season basically.  Witten wasn't healthy at the end.  They played against some sick-ass defenses to close the season.  The schedule really hurt the 'boys this year.  They'll be back next season.

'09 Cowboys schedule:

HOME GAMES
                     New York Giants
                     Philadelphia Eagles
                     Washington Redskins
                     Atlanta Falcons
                     Carolina Panthers
                     Seattle Seahawks
                     Oakland Raiders
                     San Diego Chargers

AWAY GAMES
                     New York Giants
                     Philadelphia Eagles
                     Washington Redskins
                     New Orleans Saints
                     Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                     Green Bay Packers
                     Denver Broncos
                     Kansas City Chiefs

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #796 on: January 04, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

I had a good Saturday, but Sunday was a big letdown!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #797 on: January 04, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »

This weekend was a perfect example of why I am sooo happy I don't gamble!  My wife and I had a good laugh, especially since I was bragging after the 1st game (Cards over Falcons) because I proceeded to miss with the Colts and Dolphins...the Vikes game was with my heart, Eagles head, so that was a draw.  1-2 on the weekend.  Kids out there, let that be a lesson, don't bet!   hihi

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
BigCombo
Rocker

« Reply #798 on: January 04, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »

Theoretically,  Defensive players could pick up the ball carrier and carry him into the opposite endzone for a safety.  This would completely change the style of defense from attempting to tackle the ball carrier to pushing him back. 
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #799 on: January 07, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »

Theoretically,  Defensive players could pick up the ball carrier and carry him into the opposite endzone for a safety.  This would completely change the style of defense from attempting to tackle the ball carrier to pushing him back. 
Yes it is also to thwart injuries on both sides.  Play to the whistle deal.  The forward progress rule stops pushing/hitting the ball carrier from both sides to a point.  It also stops fumbles and stripping the ball while being pushed back.  It is just a way of calling the play over to spot the ball, keep the game moving and stopping injury and on field arguments.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: