Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261745 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #540 on: November 14, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »

Yeah but when a dude who hasnt started a game since HIGH SCHOOL can perform like that in a system... Makes u wonder.

Sure Brady is great but maybe not Joe Montana after all.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #541 on: November 14, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »

Joe Montana never lost a Super Bowl, and I don't think even ever threw an INT in a Super Bowl.  So after last season the comparisons should've stopped.  And granted Cassel hadn't started a game in 9 years, but during that time he wasn't exactly stocking shelves at Costco.  He was the backup to 3 of the best QB's at their respective levels.  It's possible a few things may have rubbed off on him along the way.  Again, the Patriots are 6-4 this year.  Decent record, but if they were 6-4 with Brady it'd be a huge disappointment.  Brady hasn't had many games in his career where he threw for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns and LOST the game.  I'm just saying.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #542 on: November 14, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »

True, but if Peyton went down, there's no way indy would be 5-4, Hell look at Dallas with Romo out.

I know Brady is amazing but that system certainly helps. Matt Cassel isn't that good. Just look at like Deion Branch. Star in NE, Sucks now.  system

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #543 on: November 14, 2008, 10:35:56 PM »

No doubt the system helps.  I'm not denying that.  As far as Deion Branch, David Givens, Reche Caldwell, etc.  Part of their lack of success outside of the Patriots may be the system, but a larger part may in fact be that Tom Brady isn't throwing them the ball anymore.  Branch hasn't been able to stay healthy either, so that hasn't helped him.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #544 on: November 14, 2008, 11:00:43 PM »

Brady's accomplishments can't go unpraised just due to the lack of offensive talent that has surrounded him for most of his Super Bowl runs.

I have him in the top 5 of all time

BUT

if you can get 2 first round picks and save his salary under the cap..... U never know with the Pats.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #545 on: November 14, 2008, 11:32:12 PM »

Brady's accomplishments can't go unpraised just due to the lack of offensive talent that has surrounded him for most of his Super Bowl runs.

I have him in the top 5 of all time

BUT

if you can get 2 first round picks and save his salary under the cap..... U never know with the Pats.
D, quiet with that stuff.  You may start a revolution in New England.  While that sounds more than crazy.  I once thought Drew Bledsoe would be a lifelong Patriot legendary QB, and we know how that worked out.  Brady isn't gonna play forever, but I think he's got plenty of years left in New England.  Cassel may be playing his way out of town, and good for him.  Taking advantage of an opportunity presented to him.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #546 on: November 14, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »

If nothing else, maybe NE can get a 1st round pick for Cassel although he being a FA, Im afraid all they are gonna get is a compensation pick.

gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #547 on: November 15, 2008, 01:54:18 AM »

Brady and the Patriots shattered every offensive record there was last season. Although Cassel has improved with each game, the Patriots are nowhere near the offensive juggernaut they were last year. Their 6-4 record is more of a testament to Bill Belichek than anything else. (I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, though--- NYJ and Miami are going to finish ahead of them in the division.)

I think the Pats would be smart to keep Cassel around for next year, though, considering the recovery time for ACL surgery, and also considering Brady had a few setbacks with his surgery. Even if he's able to start the season next year, he won't be his regular self. McNabb, following his surgery, started the next year, but he didn't look like McNabb until toward the end of the season. He seemed to have no burst or strength in that repaired leg.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:59:46 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #548 on: November 15, 2008, 02:13:09 AM »

Yeah but let's say Cassel gets NE to the playoffs. Think of all the teams with Shit QB's who would throw blank checks at someone like Cassel.

no way NE is gonna give him starter money to back up Brady. NE don't pay anybody. Hell even Brady took a pay cut.

gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #549 on: November 15, 2008, 04:50:39 AM »

Yeah but let's say Cassel gets NE to the playoffs. Think of all the teams with Shit QB's who would throw blank checks at someone like Cassel.

no way NE is gonna give him starter money to back up Brady. NE don't pay anybody. Hell even Brady took a pay cut.

Yeah, I agree. Teams like Minnesota and Detroit will probably throw millions of dollars in his direction, and then Cassel will turn out to be a bust. It's like a few years back when A.J. Feeley came in for the Eagles and had success. Miami gave up a second round pick to make the guy their starter, and he proved that he was backup for a reason. Derek Anderson should've jumped to another team during the offseason when people thought he was actually good . . . Now Brady Quinn has taken over the starting gig because Anderson turned out to be a flash in the pan.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #550 on: November 15, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »

Yeah but when a dude who hasnt started a game since HIGH SCHOOL can perform like that in a system... Makes u wonder.

rofl  D, you crack me up.  Ever hear of a guy by the name of Steve Young?  No, just because Young was awesome for the niners after Joe, doesn't take anything away from Montana.  That said, Cassel hasn't proven jack-shit yet.  If anybody here thinks the Pats would be 6-4 or worse than that had Brady not gotten injured is crazy.

Brady and Montana are the 2 best ever.  Yes, arguments can be made for guys like Marino who didn't have the supporting casts, but then again, Brady didn't have the greatest wide receiver of all-time either...(okay, so he had one of the top 5 of all-time, a little past his prime, for one whole season, and look what he did!, but still)

Cassel will join Jason Campbell and David Garrard in getting paid way more than he deserves.   yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #551 on: November 15, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »

rofl  D, you crack me up.  Ever hear of a guy by the name of Steve Young?  No, just because Young was awesome for the niners after Joe, doesn't take anything away from Montana.  That said, Cassel hasn't proven jack-shit yet.  If anybody here thinks the Pats would be 6-4 or worse than that had Brady not gotten injured is crazy.

Brady and Montana are the 2 best ever.  Yes, arguments can be made for guys like Marino who didn't have the supporting casts, but then again, Brady didn't have the greatest wide receiver of all-time either...(okay, so he had one of the top 5 of all-time, a little past his prime, for one whole season, and look what he did!, but still)

Cassel will join Jason Campbell and David Garrard in getting paid way more than he deserves.   yes

I must admit...a very demented part of me would like to see NE win it all this year, just so I can say it's not Brady that has mattered, but the system, defense, and all the other shit.

I don't really believe that...but it would be fun. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #552 on: November 15, 2008, 07:58:42 PM »

One of my best friends is a Pats fan.  I'm his son's Godfather...his son's name is Brady.  As long as they aren't playing the Vikings, I'm pullin' for the Pats.   yes

New England:  at Mia, PIT, at Sea, at Oak, ARI, at Buf.  (that looks like 4-2 to me, finishing 10-6 is likely)
NY Jets:  at Ten, DEN, at SF, BUF, at Sea, MIA  (that looks like at least 3-3, more likely 4-2, finishing 11-5 is likely)

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #553 on: November 15, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »

NE have  a pretty easy schedule and with Matt Cassell really finding himself, they will be fine.

NE shot themselves in the foot against NY. The kick return by Leon Washington, the penalty on Vrabel on the goalline which was holding.

Only loss I see for NE is Pittsburgh but that is at home so u never know.

I expect them to get revenge on Miami, and rattle off 5-1 going 11-5

Jets will lose to Denver and Tennessee to finish 11-5

we go to the tiebreak and we will see who has the best conference record.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #554 on: November 15, 2008, 11:35:21 PM »

NE have  a pretty easy schedule and with Matt Cassell really finding himself, they will be fine.

NE shot themselves in the foot against NY. The kick return by Leon Washington, the penalty on Vrabel on the goalline which was holding.

Only loss I see for NE is Pittsburgh but that is at home so u never know.

I expect them to get revenge on Miami, and rattle off 5-1 going 11-5

Jets will lose to Denver and Tennessee to finish 11-5

we go to the tiebreak and we will see who has the best conference record.

I don't know D, at Miami and at Buffalo are not gimme games.  I figured they'd split, but I don't know which game the Pats will lose.
I'm not 100% on the Jets getting to 11-5...but damn their schedule is easy!  (a little easier than the Pats)

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #555 on: November 16, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »

One of my best friends is a Pats fan.  I'm his son's Godfather...his son's name is Brady.  As long as they aren't playing the Vikings, I'm pullin' for the Pats.   yes

New England:  at Mia, PIT, at Sea, at Oak, ARI, at Buf.  (that looks like 4-2 to me, finishing 10-6 is likely)
NY Jets:  at Ten, DEN, at SF, BUF, at Sea, MIA  (that looks like at least 3-3, more likely 4-2, finishing 11-5 is likely)

The Pats always have trouble in Miami, but the revenge factor will be there, at least it better be.  Pittsburgh at home isn't a gimme, and @Sea should be but they are getting Hasselbeck back so we'll see if that does anything for them.  And last game @Buf could be quite an important one when it comes down to it.  I like D's prognosis better, but I'm more apt to go with Axl4Prez's.  That loss on Thursday was LARGE.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #556 on: November 16, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »

Every Coach in philly and Cincy should be fired.

What  a Horrible fucking football game today.

Cincinnati especially.

Their play calling in overtime was absolutely ludacris.   1st and 10 at midfield and they run it 3 FUCKING times in a row!

Then, on 3rd and 6 on the 30, they RUN IT AGAIN

Miss the FG.

I am not even a Bengals fan, but wanting a Cincy upset to help Dallas, I was pulling my hair out watching these idiots.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #557 on: November 16, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

agreed. that philly-cincy game might have been the worst i've ever seen. two pathetic football teams. reid and several players keep talking like they are an elite team, yet they played 5 quarters against one of the worst teams in football (who were missing a few key players), and they gave us no reason to believe they are any better than the bengals.

philly fans are upset. there's been a growing backlash against reid which was in high gear BEFORE today's game. and today was as bad as it gets. it's was just a big joke. i've seen kids play better football.

the post-game press conferences were high comedy as well. reid's been saying the same thing for year..."i need to do a better job. i need to put my players in a better position. i know the problems and it will be fixed." he never gives any true insights.

then mcnabb comes out and says he didn't know NFL games can end in a tie. i thought he was joking but then buckhalter said alot of players were on the sideline and had no idea the game could end in a tie.

this team is a mess!

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #558 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:59 PM »

Reid's biggest downfall is not establishing a running game.

With that Defense, and lack of WR's, Philly should be a Tennessee Titan type pounding the rock type of squad. With Westbrook and Buckhalter, they'd be tough to stop.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #559 on: November 16, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »

sorry, defense has to have some ownership in that game too.  Didn't Housh catch 12 balls for a buck fifty?  Thankfully, I didn't have to watch the whole damn game...CBS offered up Ravens-Giants which was interesting up until Derrick Mason f'd up a pass and a Giant took it to the house to seal the deal.  Damn, the Giants are so solid. 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: