Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:24:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261966 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #380 on: September 22, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »

Shit after Miami beat NE AT NE. there is no such thing as a safe bet.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #381 on: September 22, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »

Betting San Diego to win straight-up as 9 point favorites, don't you have to put a lot of money up for a small potential pot?   Huh

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #382 on: September 22, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

Hmm you might be right there.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #383 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:28 PM »

Hmm you might be right there.

You want a safe bet?  You can't get a safe bet with Vegas odds.  They'll always be 50-50, and with a 10% payment to the bookmaker, over time just like a slot machine, it's got loss written all over it.

For a safe bet, find a fan of a certain team and ask them to bet straight up or just shave 3 points off the spread and bet with them all year.  That's a bout the closest you can get to a "safe bet."  btw, even THAT didn't save me when I bet Patsies straight up in the Super Bowl in February!   Grin  $15 and a "job well done" to a Giants fan.   Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »

Bill Bellicheck is stubborn. Even he can't win with a QB who can't throw the ball 20 yards in the air.

D is old and slow.

Buffalo are 3-0 and have a cupcake game against the Rams coming up.

NE are gonna get the best shot from everyone for payback and their team just isn't good this season.

They are just lucky they are in a shit division cause otherwise they'd have no shot.

I've never seen a more heartless display than what they put on yesterday.

if u are wondering why I am pissed.

NE were my Stone Cold lock and I could've hit some big dollars had they won.

DAMN IT!

I think wagering a little coin on the moneyline for SD tonight is a good bet.

Jets have to travel all the way to SD. Its very hard traveling cross country etc. SD are gonna be pissed off and fired up from getting their asses ripped by Hochuli.

Favre will throw at least one pick 6 tonight.

antonio Cromartie is due.

I predicted Brady's injury and Check that out!

Cromartie Pick 6!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2008, 12:14:30 AM »

That's the kind of performance I thought the Pats would have last week against the Jets. Man, that was so awesome though, seeing the Pats get blown out by a team that went 1-15 last year.

Somebody on here said the Pats are a lock for the playoffs, which I hugely disagree with.  Not only are they without Brady, they're without Randy Moss, too, because this made two weeks in a row he was hardly involved. Their offense no longer scares teams, and their defense isn't what it used to be.
well you'll see that i'm right about them being a lock for the playoffs at the end of the year when they are in, and even though Moss hasn't cuaght many passes for hardly any yards, he is still a big part of the offense as he opens things up for the other wideouts. Plus, it's not like they are just going to open up the playbook right now with Cassel only having 2 starts now under his belt, i guarantee you down the road the playcalling will get less conservative and they will start taking shots down the field.

Do you honestly expect them to just throw the entire playbook at this kid who hadn't started a game since high school? I hate the week-to-week bs, it's like you hear the analystst praising Cassel and saying "oh we were wrong about the preseason, this kid looks really good" and now with one bad game.. or mediocre not necessarily bad as expectations shouldn't be too high this early.. after one game people want to write him off as a crap quarterback.

Sorry, but i trust Bill over the analysts or what any of your opinions are, if he thought that Cassel had no shot or no talent then he woudln't be the quarterback for the taem right now. It's that simple. Write the Patriots off if you want, they've had horrible games before, but don't cry when at the end of the year they are in the playoffs and i'm laughing at your ass's  ok

D made a good point bringing up the KC game from week one. The Patriots needed a goal line stand to win that game, and the Chiefs have since proven that they're one of the three worst teams this season (Lions and Rams are the other two). The Jets game, in my opinion, was an aberration. I doubt New England is as bad as they looked this past Sunday, but there's no way this team makes the playoffs. Right now the Broncos, Bills, and Titans are all 3-0 and leading their respective divisions. I doubt many people expected that. And some of the teams that have struggled so far, like the Chargers, Colts, and Jaguars, are all much better than the Patriots and will more likely rebound and make the playoffs. I also think the Jets will finish with a better record than New England once Favre learns more of the system and Mangini opens up the play-calling.

So I see the Bills, Steelers, Titans, Broncos, Colts, Jaguars, Chargers, Jets all finishing with better records than the Patriots, and only six teams make the playoffs.
I don't want to keep harping on this because honestly I HOPE people don't expect much from the Patriots from here on out.  But gilee, let's not get ahead of ourselves.  It's week friggin' 3.  Just because the Bills, Broncos, and Titans are 3-0 doesn't mean those teams are destined to win their respective divisions.  It's 3 games.  Plenty of teams have started 3-0, or 0-3 and have gone in opposite directions.  You can bring up New England's soft schedule, that's fine.  I could tell you that Miami has played them tough in the past.  The Dolphins have won 3 of their last 24  games and TWO of those wins have come against the Pats.  Pennington has also played the Pats tough.  Did the Bills not almost lose to the lowly Raiders at home this week?  Granted they were able to pull it out, just as the Pats did in week one against the Chiefs.  But lets be fair, if you're gonna get on them for barely winning that game, you gotta be consistent.  Tennessee has beaten Houston and Cincy, not exactly AFC powers.  And the Broncos defense looks quite porous.  I wouldn't say ANY team in the AFC has been overly impressive and distanced themselves to this point.  But again, it's only 3 weeks into the season.  Let things play out a bit before we start writing teams off.  I'll be the first to admit the Patriots looked AWFUL yesterday.  If it happens again the week after the bye then maybe I'll start to worry.  For now though, I choose to look at it as just a bad day at the office.  All teams have them.  You don't go through a full 16 game schedule without them.  Heck, even during their perfect regular season last year they had more than a few bad games, they were just able to do enough to overcome them and come out on top.  The margin for error has obviously closed quite a bit for this season.  We'll see if they can make the necessary adjustments.  Obviously you've already made up your mind (and many others too, you're not alone).  And that's fine.  Let's just see what they can do with the bye week.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »

Annoying Patriots fans?? How dare you lump us all into that category!

Honestly tho, don't know what you mean, I havn't seen really anyone going nuts about the patriots in this thread at all, all i've seen is people rejoising in harmony when they lose a game  Roll Eyes

Write the Patriots off if you want, they've had horrible games before, but don't cry when at the end of the year they are in the playoffs and i'm laughing at your ass's  ok
GNRFAN20
« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2008, 02:11:45 AM »

go chargers good job on a 45 to 29 victory tonight showed brett favre who is boss
sandman
Legend

« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »

Favre will throw at least one pick 6 tonight.

antonio Cromartie is due.

I predicted Brady's injury and Check that out!

Cromartie Pick 6!

that's VERY impressive.

keep posting your picks....i may ride out your hot streak this week.  hihi

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »

Yeah, D, I gotta echo that.  Impressive picks this week.  Can't blame you for taking New England.  14 out of 15 though ain't too shabby.  You keep this up and you can start up a website and charge money.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #390 on: September 23, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »

I think it's ridiculous how good the NFC East is this year. So far they're 10-2, with the only two losses coming against each other. Right now you could realistically say that the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles are the three best teams in the entire NFL. Even the Redskins have looked decent these last couple of weeks.

Here Today . . .
G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »

Annoying Patriots fans?? How dare you lump us all into that category!

Honestly tho, don't know what you mean, I havn't seen really anyone going nuts about the patriots in this thread at all, all i've seen is people rejoising in harmony when they lose a game  Roll Eyes

Write the Patriots off if you want, they've had horrible games before, but don't cry when at the end of the year they are in the playoffs and i'm laughing at your ass's  ok

Is that supposed to point out the fact that i'm going "nuts about the patriots in this thread"?

Cuz, nice try, but you fail. I wouldn't have shared my opinion in here if i hadn't seen all the bashers talking like they were on cloud nine just because New England had one bad game, it's utterly pathetic to see that type of stuff, and at the same time makes me smirk to know that so many people hate my favorite team cuz they are just so darn good  ok

Anyway, I agree completely with what Faldor said, very good points he made. It's way too early to write any team off at this point, well except for the Chiefs as they are just horrible, and as the season progresses i'm sure more plays will be entrusted to Cassel and the ball will start being thrown down the field more.. and who was it that said that Cassel can't throw more than 20 yards down field?? I'm pretty sure he has a strong arm and with time can be atleast a threat at a long ball or two every now and again.

That game sucked, the Dolphins have no business putting up 400+ yards of offense and 38 points against the Pats, but it's one game and i'm not overly concerned. It's a long season, and i'm excited to see what happens after the bye week, I don't remember who the Pats play but it'll be interesting to see if they come out hitting hard and having a bit of a chip on there shoulders.

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #392 on: September 23, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »

SD are 0-2 at home....... no chance

You were saying, D.......... hihi

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »

No Drew, I meant The Jets have no chance. Sayin SD are 0-2 and they are at home so there i no way NY can win.

The thing with gambling is, avoiding that ONE game.

If NE were playing Miami in a rematch next week, I'd STILL take NE.

Next week

money line, there are some great value picks:

Denver over kC
Buffalo over STL
Dallas over Washington
Jacksonville over Houston

New orleans over SF would've been a great pick but with Shockey and Colston out.......... I can't recommend that with 100 percent confidence.

Take the unders on Tennessee/Minnesota, Unders on Pittsburgh/Baltimore

Tennessee cost me 10 bucks.

I had Tennesse -6.5 and Under 39
I had Dallas -4 and Over 51

Tennessee/Houston combined for 36pts.

Houston had 4th and Goal and if they just turn it over, TN kneel and I win 120.00 on 10 dollars

I'll be damned if TN don't get a pick 6! hihi

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »

D, did you place a bet and win any money on Jets vs. Chargers?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #395 on: September 23, 2008, 05:19:44 PM »

Yes

50 won 130

SD -8 and the Over!

Last year I turned 50 bucks into 1400k

In the AFC and NFC title games

I took SD -13 or something and the under against NE
I took NYG +6.5 and the over against GB

Hit em both 50 bucks into 660.  then I played teasers etc from there on the NBA and built my pile up pretty good.

Im tryin to do the same.

I got a parlay this Sunday on Jacksonville over Houston, Denver over KC and Buffalo over STL.

I am thinking of doing another one and picking Dallas and SD.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:21:33 PM by D » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #396 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »

Troy Brown retired today.  Played his entire 16 year career with the New England Patriots.  He was drafted in a round that doesn't even exist anymore (8th round in 1993).  Randy Moss has called him the best football player to come out of Marshall.  It took him awhile to catch on, he was cut and re-signed a bunch of times before he caught on for good.  He became Drew Bledsoe's favorite target after Ben Coates retired and after Terry Glenn peaked.  Then he became Tom Brady's favorite target in his early years.  He holds many team records including career receptions and receptions in a game (16).  He had the record for receptions in a season until last year when Welker broke it.  He was a key contributor on special teams, also holding Patriot records for career punt return TD's in a career and a season.  He came up big in BIG games too.  Returning a punt for a TD in the 2001 AFC Championship Game against the Steelers.  Had a key punt return in the "snow bowl" against the Raiders in OT to help setup the game winning FG.  Catching a 15 yard pass and getting out of bounds on the game winning drive against the Rams when they had no timeouts left. 

The last few seasons with his career coming to an end, he was 3rd, 4th, or even 5th on the WR depth chart, he played on both sides of the ball when injuries ravaged the secondary.  He more than held his own as a DB, totalling 3 INT's in the 2004 season.  He made possibly the best play of his career in the 2006 AFC Divisional Playoff game at San Diego.  Marlon McCree had just picked off Tom Brady late in the 4th quarter, pretty much sealing the victory for the Chargers before Brown stripped the ball from him as he tried to advance it.  The Patriots recovered the ball and went on to win the game.  A play Tom Brady has called, "the best play he's ever seen."

A consummate professional who was the ultimate team player.  Congratulations on a fantastic career Troy Brown.  They'll never be another football "player" like him.  At least not for a LONG time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:50:08 AM by faldor » Logged

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #397 on: September 26, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

Troy Brown retired today.  Played his entire 16 year career with the New England Patriots.  He was drafted in a round that doesn't even exist anymore (8th round in 1993).  Randy Moss has called him the best football player to come out of Marshall.  It took him awhile to catch on, he was cut and re-signed a bunch of times before he caught on for good.  He became Drew Bledsoe's favorite target after Ben Coates retired and after Terry Glenn peaked.  Then he became Tom Brady's favorite target in his early years.  He holds many team records including career receptions and receptions in a game (16).  He had the record for receptions in a season until last year when Welker broke it.  He was a key contributor on special teams, also holding Patriot records for career punt return TD's in a career and a season.  He came up big in BIG games too.  Returning a punt for a TD in the 2001 AFC Championship Game against the Steelers.  Had a key punt return in the "snow bowl" against the Raiders in OT to help setup the game winning FG.  Catching a 15 yard pass and getting out of bounds on the game winning drive against the Rams when they had no timeouts left. 

The last few seasons with his career coming to an end, he was 3rd, 4th, or even 5th on the WR depth chart, he played on both sides of the ball when injuries ravaged the secondary.  He more than held his own as a DB, totalling 3 INT's in the 2004 season.  He made possibly the best play of his career in the 2006 AFC Divisional Playoff game at San Diego.  Marlon McCree had just picked off Tom Brady late in the 4th quarter, pretty much sealing the victory for the Chargers before Brown stripped the ball from him as he tried to advance it.  The Patriots recovered the ball and went on to win the game.  A play Tom Brady has called, "the best play he's ever seen."

A consummate professional who was the ultimate team player.  Congratulations on a fantastic career Troy Brown.  They'll never be another football "player" like him.  At least not for a LONG time.

Props to Troy Brown.  I love it when guys play in one city their entire career.  Call me old-fashioned, but it's just nice when you can think of an athlete in one uniform for their whole career. 

In a way, Troy Brown is to New England what Steve Tasker is to Buffalo.  These are guys who did all the little things.  Great stuff.   peace

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #398 on: September 26, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »

Props to Troy Brown.  I love it when guys play in one city their entire career.  Call me old-fashioned, but it's just nice when you can think of an athlete in one uniform for their whole career. 

In a way, Troy Brown is to New England what Steve Tasker is to Buffalo.  These are guys who did all the little things.  Great stuff.   peace
Yeah, Troy was offered more money to go to New Orleans back in 2005 but he passed that up to stay in New England.  He could've easily taken the money as it was obviously going to be his last big payday and he had already won 3 Super Bowl rings so it wasn't like that was lacking on his resume.  He said his son convinced him not to go though.  He didn't want to move away from New England.  Then this off-season the Jets offered Brown a contract.  He would've re-united with Mangini, but he decided against it.  He couldn't bring himself to put on another uniform.  Good for him.

Although, I'll say this.  Troy may be getting a call later this season if the play in the secondary doesn't improve.  That WR could teach those DB's a thing or 2 the way they played last Sunday.  Just kidding of course.  He really was a joy to watch over the years.  Never heard a bad story about him, never complained, just went out and played football and produced every time out.  He is a major reason the Pats won those 3 Super Bowls.  I know he's not hall of fame caliber, but he's certainly a Patriot Hall of Famer, there's no doubt about that.  You could tell Belichick respected the hell out of the guy too.  Even though he really wasn't needed as a WR or PR anymore, Bill kept him on the roster and threw him on the defensive side of the ball.  Not many guys would be trusted being thrust in such a role.  But back in 2006 he started him in a game against Green Bay and he held Donald Driver, who was the NFC's leading receiver at the time, to 2 catches for 42 yards.  Also, not many guys would agree to a position change so drastic at that stage in their career.  He could've easily gone on and made better money to be the 2nd or 3rd WR on another team but he checked his ego at the door and did what was best for the team.  You can't ask for anything more from a player.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #399 on: September 28, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »

Boys come on in a few, no way Washington wins...

Coles picked it up today, bout time.

Tennesee is the most overlooked team in the NFL.. Go Titans!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: