Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261699 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2008, 05:16:39 AM »

I still can't believe San Diego fired Marty for Norv Turner??!! What the fuck were they thinking? I understand the guy has had trouble in the play-offs but you go from a guy that has brought teams to the brink of a superbowl to a guy who has done nothing but shit. I am glad San Diego lost, they deserve to. And L.T. said New England has no class...what they did to Marty showed some real class there. Norv Turner is not going to coach this team to a superbowl win. I guarantee it.

San Diego should have told Merriman to have surgery at the end of last season. Than there was a shot he was available for the play-offs this season if they get there. Just another laundry list of bad decisions this franchise has made both concerning players and coaches.

I buy the rust factor regarding the colts because Peyton Manning not only missed training camp and didn't play in any pre-season games, but he also did not practice till last week or part of the week before(i can't remember exactly). That hurts. Not playing the pre-season is one thing. Not being able to practice with your team at all during training camp and pre-season is something entirely different. Even if you are Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or any other great quarterback, practice is needed to get back into things after a long off-season. I also wonder if Manning is having pain in that knee of his. Or if it is limiting his ability at the position.

Cowboys/Eagles does intrigue me. It could be a good game based on the fact both teams looked good in the first week. Though maybe cleveland would have done better if Edwards and company could catch the ball. What a horrible performance by those wide recievers escpecially Edwards. And the Eagles faced the steadily declining rams, so we don't really know how good they are. So this match-up does intrigue me, if only to see where both the Cowboys and the Eagles are. A friend of mine said, this is a measuring stick for the Eagles. I responded, maybe if the cowboys had done something in the post-season the last few years I'd agree with you.

Everybody is praising Aaron Rodger's performance. I thought he looked good. At the begining of the season when I did my perdictions, I picked green bay to not make the play-offs because I think Rodger's durability will play a huge a factor not his lack of ability. But I also think its one game against a team with a defense trying to get use to eachother with the new additions and a one-dimensional offense. I will guarantee you, if Jackson keeps throwing the ball 35 times a game, the vikings lose.

The Bills dominated the Seahawks. But the Seahawks are known to just not show up from time to time. One week they look like superbowl contenders, the next week they look like complete losers. Time will tell if the Bills are the real deal but I'm inclined to say that this was just one of those weeks where the Seahawks didn't show up.

The Patriots take on the Jets this week in what is now considered a very interesting game for the Patriots. How will Cassel respond? Everyone but the patriots are saying the offense will be completely different. The Patriots are inclined to say that the plays called during the Chiefs game would have been the same called had Brady played the whole game. I find that a little hard to believe but at the same time Cassel knows this offensive system. He's had four years to learn it. Will they do some things differently? Of course they will. Will they completely change their entire offense for week 2? I say no. It will evolve depending soley on the play of Matt Cassel.

Thats its for my comments of the week...well the day anyway.  smoking

I find it very hard to believe the pats will call the same game with Casell as they would with Brady in there. He is not Brady and they can't possibly expect him to be. They are different people with different styles and different strengths and weaknesses. I am very interested to see how he responds. This will be his first full meaningful game since he was 18. Is he up to the challenge? We'll shall see about that. I no longer think a win is a lock for the pats though.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2008, 07:25:28 AM »

I'm picking the Jets to beat the Pats this week, though it will probably be a very close game. I expect to see a lot of Sammy Morris and Laurence Maroney.

As for Seattle just having a bad week, I think they're going to have a bad season. Their offense just has way too many injuries to overcome. Hasselbeck has nobody to throw to. Cardinals win that the West this year, mostly due to no competition.

And are we supposed to feel sorry for Vince Young?? All he's doing is proving that he doesn't have the mental toughness to be a starting QB in this league. Criticism comes with being a QB; a part of being a professional athlete is being able to overcome all that adversity. Look at all the crap McNabb has had to go through during his tenure with the Eagles, yet I haven't heard anything about him crying on the sidelines and wanting to quit. As a player, you just have to suck it up and go out and prove the detractors wrong.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »

I'm picking the Jets to beat the Pats this week, though it will probably be a very close game. I expect to see a lot of Sammy Morris and Laurence Maroney.

As for Seattle just having a bad week, I think they're going to have a bad season. Their offense just has way too many injuries to overcome. Hasselbeck has nobody to throw to. Cardinals win that the West this year, mostly due to no competition.

And are we supposed to feel sorry for Vince Young?? All he's doing is proving that he doesn't have the mental toughness to be a starting QB in this league. Criticism comes with being a QB; a part of being a professional athlete is being able to overcome all that adversity. Look at all the crap McNabb has had to go through during his tenure with the Eagles, yet I haven't heard anything about him crying on the sidelines and wanting to quit. As a player, you just have to suck it up and go out and prove the detractors wrong.
The only reason I would feel sorry for Young would be if this whole situation isn't entirely driven by football.  I don't know what's going on in his personal life, if he's going through tough times off the field.  If he just can't take the criticism, then that's another story.

You might be on to something with Seattle.  I think their defense is still pretty solid, and they've had a pretty good home field advantage but their offense has certainly taken some hits.

As for Pats/Jets.  Not to compare the 2, but back when Brady took over for Bledsoe the offense was setup for Brady to manage the game, not win the game by himself.  His first start was against the Colts at home.  His stats were quite pedestrian, 13-23 for 168 yds and 0 TD's.  And you know what the final score was?  Pats 44-13.  So you don't need to throw for 500 yards to blow teams out necessarily.  If you are solid in every other aspect, you're fine.  That's the goal for the Pats this year.  50/50 run to pass ratio, soid defense which I think they're capable of.  The one thing they did have in 2001, they made big plays on special teams.  I don't think they're as solid in that aspect, but other than that I think they'll be fine.  Now I don't expect them to beat the Jets 44-13, but they played that game against the Colts with so much emotion and they played flawlessly, I'd expect them to at least come out with that same emotion this week.  Everyone's pretty much written them off, they're gonna want to prove people wrong.  The defense has been forgotten, especially after the year the offense had last year.  They'll want to show people they can play.  They have one of the best front 3 on the D-line in the league, a solid linebacking corps, some hard hitting safeties.  The big question is in the secondary, but if Seymour, Adalius Thomas, and Vrabel can get consistent pressure on the QB I think they'll be fine there.  Bottom line is I'm not giving up.  Am I expecting a repeat of 2001?  Not necessarily.  But I'm also not expecting a 6-10 season.

In case you're wondering, Tom Brady's final season stats his first year starting.
15 games played, 14 started
264 for 463 - 63.9%, 2,843 yards, 18 TD, 12 INT, sacked 41 times, 12 fumbles (3 lost)

Not exactly eye popping.  I think Cassel could match those numbers if not surpass them, all except maybe the completion percentage.  Although 13-18 last week is off to a good start.  Let's not forget, the offensive line was much weaker in 2001.  The WR's were led by Troy Brown (who was real solid) and David Patten.  Not exactly Moss and Welker.  The RB, Antowain Smith.  They've got 2 RB's this year better than him, if not 3 (Lamont Jordan).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:40:56 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »

Add another injury to the list.  Marques Colston had surgery on his thumb and will miss 4-6 weeks, according to foxsports.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8545384/Saints-lose-Colston-to-thumb-injury?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=4975

Could Week 1 have gotten any worse in terms of injuries to big-name players?

It can and unfortunately for the New Orleans Saints, it has.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Saints have lost their top receiving weapon, Marques Colston, to a torn ligament in his left thumb. Colston, in fact, quietly had surgery on Tuesday to reattach the ligament and will miss the next month to six weeks.

It's a huge loss for the Saints, who now must roll without their leading receiver. Colston was the steal of the draft two years ago as the former Hofstra University wideout has put forth two 1,000-yard-plus seasons in his two years thus far. Last year he shined with 98 catches for 1,202 yards. In the Saints' season debut on Sunday he hauled in three balls for 26 yards in a win over the Bucs.

The team will be counting on Deverey Henderson and David Patten to step up in production with their leading receiver shelved for the time being. It's unclear when the Saints will announce his injury but they are scheduled to practice this afternoon, with Colston obviously slated to miss the workout.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Add another injury to the list.  Marques Colston had surgery on his thumb and will miss 4-6 weeks, according to foxsports.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8545384/Saints-lose-Colston-to-thumb-injury?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=4975

Could Week 1 have gotten any worse in terms of injuries to big-name players?

It can and unfortunately for the New Orleans Saints, it has.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Saints have lost their top receiving weapon, Marques Colston, to a torn ligament in his left thumb. Colston, in fact, quietly had surgery on Tuesday to reattach the ligament and will miss the next month to six weeks.

It's a huge loss for the Saints, who now must roll without their leading receiver. Colston was the steal of the draft two years ago as the former Hofstra University wideout has put forth two 1,000-yard-plus seasons in his two years thus far. Last year he shined with 98 catches for 1,202 yards. In the Saints' season debut on Sunday he hauled in three balls for 26 yards in a win over the Bucs.

The team will be counting on Deverey Henderson and David Patten to step up in production with their leading receiver shelved for the time being. It's unclear when the Saints will announce his injury but they are scheduled to practice this afternoon, with Colston obviously slated to miss the workout.

Yeah wow i hope it doesn't get worse in week 2.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2008, 08:19:49 AM »

Not to be an asshole on the T.O. - McNabb thing, but the piss-poor reporting reminds me alot of the way the press handled Randy Moss back in his Vikings' days.  He was labeled a malcontent and his name was always muttered in the same vein as T.O. in terms of his "attitude." (which I highly disagree with)

I've seen on several sports' web pages the headline, "T.O.:  I got too big for McNabb."
when in reality, the quote begins with him saying, "I got too big for Philly."
Now, what stokes the flames of controversy better?  His strained relationship with Donovan, or an insult thrown at Philadelphia.  Right now, I'd put out there the McNabb-TO soap opera sells controversy better. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to some Philly media members to lay into TO for once for insulting Philly itself.

The Vikes are gonna take out the Colts today!!!   Sorry Freedom78!   Grin

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »

I sure hope not. But if Peyton plays like he dd last week, the Colts will lose.

Go Brett Favre and beat New England!  Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #307 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »

Great come from behind win today by Peyton and the Colts. Down 15 points and come back to win 18-15.

That looked promising.  Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #308 on: September 14, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

Minnesota have to pull the plug on Tavaris Jackson. They have a superbowl team minus the QB.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #309 on: September 14, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »

Great come from behind win today by Peyton and the Colts. Down 15 points and come back to win 18-15.

Phew.  nervous

The Vikes are gonna take out the Colts today!!!   Sorry Freedom78!   Grin

Too bad for you it's not a competition of running games. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #310 on: September 14, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »

Phew.  nervous

At least the Colts were able to get their act together and come back from being fifteen points down. Unlike last week, where as it seemed nothing they did went right.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »

I sure hope not. But if Peyton plays like he dd last week, the Colts will lose.

Go Brett Favre and beat New England!  Smiley
Not so fast for Brett Favre.  I thought the Jets were suddenly the favorites in the AFC East.  What happened?  I told you not to count the Pats out.  I'll temper the excitement though and throw out the possibility that this week was highly emotional for the team, wanting to show they were still to be reckoned with even without Tom.  We'll see if they can carry that on down the road.  I think they can.  And while I'm on the AFC East, the Pats and Bills are the 2 best teams there, Jets are behind them both.  Brett Favre is good, but there was way too much hype put into that team since he arrived.

Impressive comeback for the Colts.  They were completely outplayed in the first half but stayed within striking distance.  Jackson is a hindrance for the Vikings, I think everyone knew that going into the season.  They need somewhat of a passing game to be a serious contender.  Manning looked better in spots, maybe the rust factor is wearing off slowly. 

Anyone see the end to the Broncos/Chargers game?  That was crazy.  People complain about the "tuck" rule, but I think that was worse.  A clear fumble that they called an incomplete pass, then reviewed and said it was a fumble but an inadvertant whistle blew the play dead before San Diego recovered the ball, which would've sealed the win.  Charger fans have a right to be pissed.  2 weeks straight they've lost games they shouldn't have.  0-2 could easily be 2-0.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #312 on: September 14, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »

Chargers got completely FUCKED in this game. Chambers didn't fumble and that play at the goal line was inexcusable. If u fumble, how the hell do u keep the ball?

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »

Chargers got completely FUCKED in this game. Chambers didn't fumble and that play at the goal line was inexcusable. If u fumble, how the hell do u keep the ball?
I know, I would be livid if I was a Charger fan.  Worse than the tuck rule in the snow?  I think so, just not in as high profile a game so I don't know if it'll be viewed that way.  But that was a  tough call to say the least.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #314 on: September 14, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »

Woooo Go Broncos!!!

By hook or by crook, I'll take that win over the little bitch that is Rivers.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »

Even the Ref, Ed Hoculey ( spelling?) admitted he screwed up, he blew the whistle, ruling the play dead when he should not have.  If I was a Charger fan, I'd be livid. I hope Commissioner Goddell looks into this more since Denver should have lost that game, but were handed a win due to a fuck up by the official.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #316 on: September 14, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »

The Jets made too many mistakes.  I didn't get the game on my telly, but I read a recap.

Fuck you Jay Feely for missing a field goal.

Fuck you Thomas Jones for not being able to score from the 3 yard line.

And dammit, Wes Welker is the most annoying player in the NFL!  hihi

On another note, I'm THINKING of attending my first NFL edited to addgame next Monday night at Qualcomm.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #317 on: September 14, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

NCAA and NFL were very good to me this weekend.

I turned 100 bucks into 570.00

Giants arizona Green Bay, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh came through on my parlay. I didn't do spread, i did money line and won big

Then I took Giants,Packers and Cards on another and won big.

Cant wait till next week. I am building a roll!

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #318 on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »

Cant wait till

I can gamble.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #319 on: September 14, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »

I was gonna throw some of my winnings onto Dallas tomorrow, but I tell u what, Philly Scare the living shit out of me so I aint touching it.

There are some stone Cold Locks next week:

New England over Miami
NY Giants over Cincy
Tennessee over Houston
Buffalo over Oakland

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: