Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261691 times)
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2008, 06:16:32 AM »

I see everyone always bitching about the cockiness of New England Patriot fans.

Lets just end the fantasy that Laker fans do not flaunt the success of their team. Cuz that right there is complete bull-shit.

Well I think you are allowed to develop extreme confidence in your teams abilites when in the last seven years you go to the play-offs 6 times, the AFC championship 5 times, the super-bowl 4 times and win the superbowl 3 times. Yeah I think that shows that they have been a great team and that their fans, like myself, should be able to talk greatly about them. So yeah bitch all you want about how cocky we are. I say, based on the teams success, we have a right to be a little "cocky." Perhaps your just jealous that your team didn't have the success for the last seven years the Patriots had. Your tellin me there were no cocky cowboy fans in the early 90's? No cocky 49er fans in the late 80's-90's? No cocky steeler fans in the 70's? When your team has success you have a right to have confidence in them.

Ohh, and L.A. Sports? Yeah all those years the Clippers sucked they got great support. Their stands were never empty. You give the lakers the run the celtics had the last 12 years and you tell me their still gonna have a packed house towards the end of a 20 or 30 win season. Ain't gonna happen. They sure sold out L.A. Colliseum for the Rams and Raiders. Yeah, they got great support. So great, the teams left. And don't even mention baseball and the support of Dodgers vs. The Red Sox. Give me a break.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2008, 09:27:37 AM »

Patriot fans are spoiled and they just expect greatness

Yes, yes you are.

And you wonder why everyone else is jumping for joy?
At least New England fans are true sports fans.  I've been to games in LA, give me a break.  Get to the game late, leave early to beat traffic.  It's more of a status symbol than to actually care about the game itself.  Still smarting from the Celtics wiping the floor with your Lakers I see.  At least we could bring a smile to your face yesterday.

Hahahahaha, when the man has no ammunition he resorts to using the same old stereotypical "no one in LA cares about sports schtick."   That's OK dude, it doesn't worry me at all.  I've never seen an empty Staples Center for a Laker game, but I do remember seeing a lot of empty yellow and black seats the last 12 years at Fleet...uhh...TD Banknorth.

The Red Sox are celebrating selling out the smallest ballpark for 5 years.  The Dodgers get 3 million through the turnstiles during a losing season.  So I think L.A. sports fans are just fine.  We're used to greatness from our teams so we don't flaunt it.

You are the typical New England sports fan.  We won't be hearing from you guys so much this year, and I'm glad.  Cocky motherfuckers.

And no, I'm OK with the Lakers losing.  I said right after they lost that they didn't deserve to win.  Why would I cry about a lesser team losing?  That's what is supposed to happen.  But thanks for trying to "hurt" me, says a lot about you Mr. Chowder Chomper.

P.S.  You said yourself that everyone at Foxboro sat on their hands after Brady went down.  Great behavior from the fanbase.  Especially fans of the most dominant team of the decade.  Good job!
Oh you'll be hearing from me, don't you worry.  I'm not going anywhere.  Yeah, I'm hoping the fans were just in shock after Brady went down.  Now that we know he won't be back, I'm hoping we'll rally around Cassell. 

I see you've resorted to name calling, that's classy.  You know nothing about me, I am the furthest thing from a "cocky motherfucker" as you so eloquently put it.  But if you want to label me, feel free. 

Anyhow, keep pronouncing the Patriots dead.  It's funny how for the first 3 years or so everyone talked about Tom Brady being a system quarterback, a dink and dunk passer, and how anyone could succeed in that role.  Now he's the whole team.  I fully admit he's among the best in the game, if not THE best, but there's still plenty of talent on the roster.  There have been far worse teams that have succeeded in the NFL.

Cocky motherfuckerS.  There was an S there buddy boy.  You're actually quite tolerable compared to the rest of the fanbase.  I know nothing about you, nor do I care to know anything about you.  A bit cocky of you to say that though.  Wink

Anyway,  can anyone fill me in on why a lot of teams wore white at home yesterday?
Well you did say I was a typical New England fan and then went on to desrcibe "us" as cocky motherfuckers.  Sorry if I jumped to the conclusion that you lumped me into that, but it sure seemed that way.  That's fine though, it's all in fun. 

We've become the Yankees, that's basically what's happened.  Some of my friends are "cocky motherfuckers" when it comes to the Pats.  I had one friend predict the perfect season before it even began.  In the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl he talked so much trash to all our friends who were Giant fans, and he actually WENT to the game.  I stayed behind to watch the game with said friends.  Needless to say, it was not fun for any of us.  I don't talk trash, that's not my style but I am confident and was extremely confident that day about their chances.  That's the only reason I decided to watch the game with all Giants fans.  Anyway, I completely understand why the Patriots are hated.  They went from America's darling to the Yankees of football because of their success  in the past decade.  I'm not giving up on this season though.  It'll be an interesting one for sure.  WITH Brady, I was expecting 12 or 13 wins.  I'm still expecting double digits, but 10 or 11 more likely.  I just find it funny how most Patriot haters were calling Tom Brady a system quarterback no more than 3 or 4 years ago, and now apparently they become the worst team in the league without him.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »

Patriot fans are spoiled and they just expect greatness

Yes, yes you are.

And you wonder why everyone else is jumping for joy?
At least New England fans are true sports fans.  I've been to games in LA, give me a break.  Get to the game late, leave early to beat traffic.  It's more of a status symbol than to actually care about the game itself.  Still smarting from the Celtics wiping the floor with your Lakers I see.  At least we could bring a smile to your face yesterday.

Hahahahaha, when the man has no ammunition he resorts to using the same old stereotypical "no one in LA cares about sports schtick."   That's OK dude, it doesn't worry me at all.  I've never seen an empty Staples Center for a Laker game, but I do remember seeing a lot of empty yellow and black seats the last 12 years at Fleet...uhh...TD Banknorth.

The Red Sox are celebrating selling out the smallest ballpark for 5 years.  The Dodgers get 3 million through the turnstiles during a losing season.  So I think L.A. sports fans are just fine.  We're used to greatness from our teams so we don't flaunt it.

You are the typical New England sports fan.  We won't be hearing from you guys so much this year, and I'm glad.  Cocky motherfuckers.

And no, I'm OK with the Lakers losing.  I said right after they lost that they didn't deserve to win.  Why would I cry about a lesser team losing?  That's what is supposed to happen.  But thanks for trying to "hurt" me, says a lot about you Mr. Chowder Chomper.

P.S.  You said yourself that everyone at Foxboro sat on their hands after Brady went down.  Great behavior from the fanbase.  Especially fans of the most dominant team of the decade.  Good job!
Oh you'll be hearing from me, don't you worry.  I'm not going anywhere.  Yeah, I'm hoping the fans were just in shock after Brady went down.  Now that we know he won't be back, I'm hoping we'll rally around Cassell. 

I see you've resorted to name calling, that's classy.  You know nothing about me, I am the furthest thing from a "cocky motherfucker" as you so eloquently put it.  But if you want to label me, feel free. 

Anyhow, keep pronouncing the Patriots dead.  It's funny how for the first 3 years or so everyone talked about Tom Brady being a system quarterback, a dink and dunk passer, and how anyone could succeed in that role.  Now he's the whole team.  I fully admit he's among the best in the game, if not THE best, but there's still plenty of talent on the roster.  There have been far worse teams that have succeeded in the NFL.

Cocky motherfuckerS.  There was an S there buddy boy.  You're actually quite tolerable compared to the rest of the fanbase.  I know nothing about you, nor do I care to know anything about you.  A bit cocky of you to say that though.  Wink

Anyway,  can anyone fill me in on why a lot of teams wore white at home yesterday?
Well you did say I was a typical New England fan and then went on to desrcibe "us" as cocky motherfuckers.  Sorry if I jumped to the conclusion that you lumped me into that, but it sure seemed that way.  That's fine though, it's all in fun. 

We've become the Yankees, that's basically what's happened.  Some of my friends are "cocky motherfuckers" when it comes to the Pats.  I had one friend predict the perfect season before it even began.  In the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl he talked so much trash to all our friends who were Giant fans, and he actually WENT to the game.  I stayed behind to watch the game with said friends.  Needless to say, it was not fun for any of us.  I don't talk trash, that's not my style but I am confident and was extremely confident that day about their chances.  That's the only reason I decided to watch the game with all Giants fans.  Anyway, I completely understand why the Patriots are hated.  They went from America's darling to the Yankees of football because of their success  in the past decade.  I'm not giving up on this season though.  It'll be an interesting one for sure.  WITH Brady, I was expecting 12 or 13 wins.  I'm still expecting double digits, but 10 or 11 more likely.  I just find it funny how most Patriot haters were calling Tom Brady a system quarterback no more than 3 or 4 years ago, and now apparently they become the worst team in the league without him.

Jumping randomly into the conversation, here.

I find it funny that, as a Cubs fan, I find the Boston fan base to be fantastic.  Knowledgeable, enthusiastic, a similar "story" behind the teams. 

But as a Colts fan, I find you all completely intolerable.  rofl

Guess it's all relative.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »

Personally, I do think the Patriots are dead. I believe Peyton Manning is the most important player on any team in the league; but Tom Brady is probably second (or third behind LT). Cassel isn't going to suddenly blossom into this amazing best-kept-secret QB like some have in the past. They almost lost to the Chiefs this past Sunday, and the Chiefs aren't a very good team. I say the Pats finish third in their division behind the Jets and the Bills.

I've heard people on ESPN talking about how Daunte Culpepper may come out of retirement and sign with the Pats, thus reuniting with Randy Moss. What do you guys think about that?

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2008, 12:40:08 PM »

The job is Cassel's to lose.  Even if there were better options out there, which I'm not sure there are it would to some time for a newcomer to get familiar with the system. 
I don't expect Cassel to be Tom Brady.  They're gonna have to change they win games. Solid defense, a strong running game, and good game management by Cassel. They stopped beating teams 52-7 awhile back.  They had to change and win other ways midway through last season, now they have all year to work on that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »

Lets just end the fantasy that Laker fans do not flaunt the success of their team. Cuz that right there is complete bull-shit.

Well I think you are allowed to develop extreme confidence in your teams abilites when in the last seven years you go to the play-offs 6 times, the AFC championship 5 times, the super-bowl 4 times and win the superbowl 3 times. Yeah I think that shows that they have been a great team and that their fans, like myself, should be able to talk greatly about them. So yeah bitch all you want about how cocky we are. I say, based on the teams success, we have a right to be a little "cocky." Perhaps your just jealous that your team didn't have the success for the last seven years the Patriots had. Your tellin me there were no cocky cowboy fans in the early 90's? No cocky 49er fans in the late 80's-90's? No cocky steeler fans in the 70's? When your team has success you have a right to have confidence in them.

Ohh, and L.A. Sports? Yeah all those years the Clippers sucked they got great support. Their stands were never empty. You give the lakers the run the celtics had the last 12 years and you tell me their still gonna have a packed house towards the end of a 20 or 30 win season. Ain't gonna happen. They sure sold out L.A. Colliseum for the Rams and Raiders. Yeah, they got great support. So great, the teams left. And don't even mention baseball and the support of Dodgers vs. The Red Sox. Give me a break.  smoking

Oh shit!  The Clippers moved from San Diego?

Uhhhh, the Rams and Raiders had/have nutjob owners.  Go brush up on your history and then come back to me.

I'm really hoping for a Dodgers/Red Sox WS.  The Red Sox organization doesn't even respect its own players.  They'll give Papi and all those guys the same treatment they gave Manny once they are on the decline.  And please don't even get me started on the Red Sox' asinine baseball practices all the way up until the 60's/70's.  That's a whole different can of worms.

Now go wash your dirty Pats hoodie.
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #286 on: September 09, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »

Oh shit!  The Clippers moved from San Diego?

Uhhhh, the Rams and Raiders had/have nutjob owners.  Go brush up on your history and then come back to me.

I'm really hoping for a Dodgers/Red Sox WS.  The Red Sox organization doesn't even respect its own players.  They'll give Papi and all those guys the same treatment they gave Manny once they are on the decline.  And please don't even get me started on the Red Sox' asinine baseball practices all the way up until the 60's/70's.  That's a whole different can of worms.

Now go wash your dirty Pats hoodie.

Oh shit! The dodgers have always been in L.A??

Oh shit! An L.A. fan blames everyone else except themselves on why they don't have a NFL team anymore??

Oh shit! Your still trying to compare the red sox to the dodgers?

Oh shit! I don't give shit about this anymore and I'm ready to move on to other conversations? smoking

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #287 on: September 09, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »

Oh shit!

The Packers beat the Vikings.  Great game by Rodgers.

The Vikings aside from AP looked...baaaaad.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »

Merriman to undergo knee surgery, miss 2008 season
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman pulled the plug on his 2008 season on Tuesday when he told the San Diego Chargers he'll have surgery on the two torn ligaments in his left knee.

The loss of Merriman, whose hard hits earned him the nickname "Lights Out," is a big one for a team that has Super Bowl expectations.

Merriman's decision came two days after he barely resembled the player who had an NFL-high 39? sacks in the past three seasons and played in three straight Pro Bowls.

Merriman didn't immediately return e-mails and telephone calls seeking comment.

"Shawne informed me he did not feel right and thought it best to shut it down," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement. "The road to winning the AFC West just got more difficult, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Shawne is a great player and an inspirational leader. He will be missed. We wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery."

Merriman had only two tackles in a shocking 26-24 loss to Carolina at home on Sunday. Even though Merriman appeared to be a non-factor, coach Norv Turner said he thought the linebacker looked "explosive and very physical."

Late in training camp, Merriman said that the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee were torn.

He spent several days getting opinions from four doctors from outside the organization, all of whom recommended he have surgery. But on Aug. 27, he announced that he was going to play, saying, "If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I'm going to play."

But, he acknowledged, "I'll have the surgery at any point. Nobody knows. I kind of left it on the table when to have it. Not even doctors can tell me that."

Rehab is expected to be six to seven months.

Merriman has said he's had pain in the knee since late in the 2006 season. He also injured the knee during a game at Tennessee on Dec. 9. He sat out the following Sunday, but played in the last three regular-season games and the Chargers' three playoff games, including a loss to New England in the AFC championship game. He also played in the Pro Bowl.

Merriman had offseason arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in the knee.

This is gonna hurt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3578588
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »

Sounds like Vince Young is not doing well.  Don't know how true the reports are but they're saying he may not want to play football anymore and he's battling depression.  I hope he can get through these tough times.

It also appears the Titans are moving on in case Young doesn't return, reportedly close to signing Chris Simms to back up Kerry Collins.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909129/-1/RSS05

Felicia Young has seen her son experience the ups and downs that go with being a football star.

On Monday night, she saw 25-year-old Vince Young sink to his lowest point. It ended with Coach Jeff Fisher calling Metro Police to search for her son for over four hours, and opened the biggest window yet into the emotional and troubled side of the Titans quarterback.

A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday, and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period that ended just after midnight Tuesday morning. That?s when Fisher met with Young and police at Baptist Sports Park.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn?t want to play football any more.

?Vince has gone through a whole lot as a young person,?? Felicia Young said. ?And I think he has done pretty well up to this point. But it is hard, all he is going through right now. He?s hurting inside and out.

?But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.??

When the frantic search for Young ended, Fisher and the Titans said the incident had been blown out of proportion. So did some of Young?s friends and family.

But the events that led up to it all ? and the fact Fisher called police ? showed just how much concern the team has regarding the mental state of Young, who suffered a left knee injury in Sunday?s season opening win over the Jaguars. Young opted not to get an MRI of the knee on Monday; an MRI on Tuesday revealed he has a sprained MCL that could keep him out anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

The Titans, meanwhile, were making plans to go on without him.

?In a major city police department we have calls like this all the time about people who fear for their loved ones ? the difference here being Vince Young?s notoriety,?? Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron said. ?When the police department gets such calls, you have to take them seriously. You never know how these issues will ultimately turn out. The concerns of (Monday) night appear to be unfounded.??

Call for help

The Titans had concerns about Young even before late Monday night.

After Young balked at having the MRI on Monday, Fisher went out and talked to him at his Brentwood home, spending over an hour with him. The Titans also sent a psychologist, Dr. Sheila Peters, and Tina Tuggle, the team?s Director of Player Development, to meet with Young to try and encourage him.

The psychologist said Young was extremely depressed and expressed concerns to the team about Young?s safety. Later, Young left the house and sped off in his Mercedes Benz without his cell phone. He couldn?t be found for some time, which prompted a phone call to Fisher.

Fisher then called police, who began searching for Young. When Young was finally tracked down, he met with Fisher and police at Baptist Sports Park and eventually went home.

?The people that are closest to Vince inform(ed) us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house,?? Fisher said in a statement. ?(Later) it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident.??

According to police, Young had a handgun in the glove compartment of his vehicle, but it was not loaded and Aaron said officers had no concerns about Young trying to harm himself. Young was not charged with any crime because it?s not a violation of the law in Tennessee to transport an unloaded firearm with no ammunition in a motor vehicle.

?The fact the gun was in the glove compartment and was unloaded did not present an issue for the officers,?? Aaron said. ?There was no ammunition in the car. The gun was unloaded. The slide was back in a safe position, and it was in the glove box.??

Young?s whereabouts

A friend of Young?s said on Tuesday the quarterback was with him watching Monday Night Football in Steve McNair?s office in Nashville when police were searching for Young, and neither had any idea anyone was looking for him. Earlier, the two had stopped by Nuttin? but Wings on Jefferson Street and exchanged autographs for free wings, Raymond White said.

?We sat around watching football and eating chicken wings,?? said White ?Everything was fine. There was no problem.??

Agent Major Adams, who represents Young, said on Tuesday the quarterback was shocked at all the attention the story generated on Tuesday.

?He understands that people care about him and all that; that is the good part of it,?? Adams said. ?But to have it all blow up like it was ? Vince feels like he can?t go anywhere without people knowing where he is 24 hours a day. That?s the only negative part of it. He?s fine.??

Point of no return?

The events of the last 48 hours, however, have clearly left a lasting mark on both Young and the Titans.

On Sunday, before Young was injured against the Jaguars, he initially refused to re-enter the game after throwing an interception and getting booed by fans. His decision to ignore the team?s request for him to have the MRI created even more friction between the player and the team, and indications last night were the Titans have turned the team over to back-up quarterback Kerry Collins.

Even when Young returns from his injury, he might not get his job back.

The Titans believe Young?s injury is one that will keep him out anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

Then there?s the question about whether Young is interested in returning, something he mentioned to those who were with him on Monday.

?What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make??? Felicia Young asked. ?He may not want to deal with it (all), but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

?But we?re not talking about football right now. We?re talking about what would make him happy, and that is the most important thing.

?? You don?t want people to be hurting like he is. But it is a growing-up process, and he will eventually come out like gold no matter what. But Vince is going to be OK. We are just going to try and give him some space.?

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »

Wow so many crazy things happening after just one week of the season. What will week 2 bring?
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #291 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »

Yeah I read about Vince going all suicidal.

Long fall from the Rose Bowl.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »

Wow so many crazy things happening after just one week of the season. What will week 2 bring?
No kidding.  That's why they refer to sports as soap operas for guys.  You can't write this stuff.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »

What will week 2 bring?

Normalcy?

I hope not!

I still can't believe the ending of the CAR/SD game.  Give Norv Turner any team and he'll find a way to ruin that team.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #294 on: September 10, 2008, 12:17:29 AM »

No kidding.  That's why they refer to sports as soap operas for guys.  You can't write this stuff.

You can say that again. If you had told me that after week one the best offensive player in the league and maybe the best defensive player were done for the season i would've said you were nuts.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #295 on: September 10, 2008, 12:24:39 AM »

You can say that again. If you had told me that after week one the best offensive player in the league and maybe the best defensive player were done for the season i would've said you were nuts.
Yeah I thought the Osi injury in the pre-season was bad enough.  The hits just keep on coming apparently.  Some things never change though.  The Raiders looked god awful last night.  Were they even trying on defense?  The Rams were equally as bad on Sunday.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #296 on: September 10, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »

What will week 2 bring?

Normalcy?

I hope not!

I still can't believe the ending of the CAR/SD game.  Give Norv Turner any team and he'll find a way to ruin that team.
Yeah I didn't get to see many games, being at the Pats game, but that one certainly surprised me.  The Colts losing at home, opening a new stadium, to the Bears, quite surprising.  I'm not so sure how much I'm buying the rust factor there.  I still think that's a bad loss, no matter how rusty Manning and the offense are.  San Diego was a popular Super Bowl pick.  I thought Norv Turner and the Chargers proved a little something last year in the playoffs.  Rivers really impressed me, playing injured and all.  Not a good start for them either though. 

BUT, it's only week one.  Let's not overreact to anything just yet.  Honestly you usually can't get a good feel for a teams true makeup till midseason at least.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #297 on: September 10, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »

What will week 2 bring?

Normalcy?

I hope not!

Yeah I didn't get to see many games, being at the Pats game, but that one certainly surprised me.  The Colts losing at home, opening a new stadium, to the Bears, quite surprising.  I'm not so sure how much I'm buying the rust factor there.  I still think that's a bad loss, no matter how rusty Manning and the offense are.  San Diego was a popular Super Bowl pick.  I thought Norv Turner and the Chargers proved a little something last year in the playoffs.  Rivers really impressed me, playing injured and all.  Not a good start for them either though. 

BUT, it's only week one.  Let's not overreact to anything just yet.  Honestly you usually can't get a good feel for a teams true makeup till midseason at least.

Overreacting to stuff is the best part about being a sports fan!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #298 on: September 10, 2008, 12:38:42 AM »

Yeah I thought the Osi injury in the pre-season was bad enough.  The hits just keep on coming apparently.  Some things never change though.  The Raiders looked god awful last night.  Were they even trying on defense?  The Rams were equally as bad on Sunday.

Yeah i was watching that game on ESPN what a massacre that was.
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #299 on: September 10, 2008, 05:06:41 AM »

I still can't believe San Diego fired Marty for Norv Turner??!! What the fuck were they thinking? I understand the guy has had trouble in the play-offs but you go from a guy that has brought teams to the brink of a superbowl to a guy who has done nothing but shit. I am glad San Diego lost, they deserve to. And L.T. said New England has no class...what they did to Marty showed some real class there. Norv Turner is not going to coach this team to a superbowl win. I guarantee it.

San Diego should have told Merriman to have surgery at the end of last season. Than there was a shot he was available for the play-offs this season if they get there. Just another laundry list of bad decisions this franchise has made both concerning players and coaches.

I buy the rust factor regarding the colts because Peyton Manning not only missed training camp and didn't play in any pre-season games, but he also did not practice till last week or part of the week before(i can't remember exactly). That hurts. Not playing the pre-season is one thing. Not being able to practice with your team at all during training camp and pre-season is something entirely different. Even if you are Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or any other great quarterback, practice is needed to get back into things after a long off-season. I also wonder if Manning is having pain in that knee of his. Or if it is limiting his ability at the position.

Cowboys/Eagles does intrigue me. It could be a good game based on the fact both teams looked good in the first week. Though maybe cleveland would have done better if Edwards and company could catch the ball. What a horrible performance by those wide recievers escpecially Edwards. And the Eagles faced the steadily declining rams, so we don't really know how good they are. So this match-up does intrigue me, if only to see where both the Cowboys and the Eagles are. A friend of mine said, this is a measuring stick for the Eagles. I responded, maybe if the cowboys had done something in the post-season the last few years I'd agree with you.

Everybody is praising Aaron Rodger's performance. I thought he looked good. At the begining of the season when I did my perdictions, I picked green bay to not make the play-offs because I think Rodger's durability will play a huge a factor not his lack of ability. But I also think its one game against a team with a defense trying to get use to eachother with the new additions and a one-dimensional offense. I will guarantee you, if Jackson keeps throwing the ball 35 times a game, the vikings lose.

The Bills dominated the Seahawks. But the Seahawks are known to just not show up from time to time. One week they look like superbowl contenders, the next week they look like complete losers. Time will tell if the Bills are the real deal but I'm inclined to say that this was just one of those weeks where the Seahawks didn't show up.

The Patriots take on the Jets this week in what is now considered a very interesting game for the Patriots. How will Cassel respond? Everyone but the patriots are saying the offense will be completely different. The Patriots are inclined to say that the plays called during the Chiefs game would have been the same called had Brady played the whole game. I find that a little hard to believe but at the same time Cassel knows this offensive system. He's had four years to learn it. Will they do some things differently? Of course they will. Will they completely change their entire offense for week 2? I say no. It will evolve depending soley on the play of Matt Cassel.

Thats its for my comments of the week...well the day anyway.  smoking
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:11:46 AM by High_times » Logged

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: