Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261419 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »

the eagles are too cheap to pay players, or to trade away draft picks.

but the reality is, the curtis injury barely hurts them. he's an average #2 WR at best. and that's what all our WRs are - average #2's.

so we'll just plug in the rookie, Baskett, Avant, and Lewis and Curtis will barely be missed.

but, yes, i'd love to see Bolden in kelly, i mean midnight green.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »

but the reality is, the curtis injury barely hurts them. he's an average #2 WR at best. and that's what all our WRs are - average #2's.

so we'll just plug in the rookie, Baskett, Avant, and Lewis and Curtis will barely be missed.

While I believe they overpaid for Curtis, he is still, like you said, an average #2 at best...but Baskett, Avant, and Lewis I'd consider at their best, #3 receivers.  Me-thinks Donovan's already put in a call to management mentioning the Boldin situation.  I bet he'd be willing to re-structure his contract to help land Anquan. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

I bet he'd be willing to re-structure his contract to help land Anquan. 

you're joking, right?

no way would mcnabb help this team's financial situation when he is pretty much assuming they will release him after this season.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »

I bet he'd be willing to re-structure his contract to help land Anquan. 

you're joking, right?

no way would mcnabb help this team's financial situation when he is pretty much assuming they will release him after this season.

Good point Sandman.  Plus, why would the Eagles want to bring in a #1 wide receiver now for a qb on the way out?  Good point.   beer
  I read an article that said the Cards aren't interested in Sheppard...but 1st round draft picks are always nice.  Boldin an Eagle?  Not likely. 
  If McNabb does leave, he'd make a helluva good Viking!  Childress coaching, Berrian and Rice at wideout...sweet.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »

i know what the eagles are thinking...defense wins championships. but still, boldin is a STUD.

despite all my dislike for mcnabb, i think he's gonna have a solid year. i think things will fall into place for the birds. they will make the playoffs, and possibly win the division.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2008, 06:14:26 AM »

I dont really understand the Eagles desire to get rid of Lito Sheppard.  Pairing Samuel and Sheppard is a deadly combo and makes their pass rush even more scary cause both those guys can play man to man defense.

Also, I think Reggie Brown will be a fine WR. This could be his breakout season.

It doesn't matter anyway Philly fans, My Cowboys are gonna stomp your guts out this season anyway. U can bring in Boldin, Moss, whoever. It isnt gonna matter. Tongue

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »

I dont really understand the Eagles desire to get rid of Lito Sheppard.  Pairing Samuel and Sheppard is a deadly combo and makes their pass rush even more scary cause both those guys can play man to man defense.

Also, I think Reggie Brown will be a fine WR. This could be his breakout season.

It doesn't matter anyway Philly fans, My Cowboys are gonna stomp your guts out this season anyway. U can bring in Boldin, Moss, whoever. It isnt gonna matter. Tongue

but they still have Homo at QB.  hihi

three stud CBs will be really nice. it'll really help with avoiding mis-matches, and with preventing 3rd down conversions.

i guess it's just the fact that we'll have a pro bowler in a non-starting role. i'd rather trade him for a pro bowler that will start (preferably at WR).

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:52 AM »

Ok that was the Cowboy fan in me hoping u guys don' get Boldin

seriously though, McNabb has been SO loyal to Philly for what? They refuse to put anything around him offensively, I think they secretly blame him for the T.O. Fiasco and I realize that was years ago, but I think McNabb was a lot at fault with that situation.

McNabb has this stellar rep, but I cant help but wonder if he isnt a bit of a primadonna and he doesn't want a WR getting the headlines. It was McNabb who started the T.O. Feud by saying they didnt need him to win.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »

T.O was the primadonna, not Donovan. Anyways, McNabb encouraged Eagles' management to add more playmakers in the offseason, and they offered Randy Moss a huge contract, which he declined. I believe they were also inquiring about a trade that would've brought either Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams to Philly (or maybe that was all rumor).

And don't even start the whole "Donovan's not going to be in Philly next year" crap. That's all everybody talked about last year. But now here we are at the beginning of the season, and Donovan's still an Eagle, not a Chicago Bear or a Minnesota Viking. As long as Donovan doesn't suffer another major injury, I think he'll remain an Eagle for a several years to come. If he can't stay healthy, though, which has been the major problem, and Kolb comes in and does really well, then, yeah, I think Donovan will be out the door . . . but let's hope that doesn't happen.

In my opinion, Kolb was drafted as insurance, not as Donovan's replacement. Donovan has said numerous times that he wants to finish his career in Philly. Reid and McNabb have a good relationship; and I saw McNabb and Joe Banner at one of the Celtics' games during the Finals, so apparently they're buddy-buddy, too. Just a couple weeks ago Joe Banner was saying how lucky he has been to have both Reid and McNabb all these years, and that, as long as those two remain together, great things are in store for the Eagles. I also read an interview with Reid recently where he was talking about Kolb, saying he knows he'll be a starter in this league one day, whether it's here (Philly) or somewhere else. That "somewhere else" part made me really happy. I think things will be fine for at least another couple of years, then Kolb will probably start bitching, demanding to either be traded or made the starter. If Donovan returns to form, though, and the Eagles are winning games, I don't see how they would just let him go, and I don't think they will.

It does piss me off though that the Eagles have never actively pursued a #1 WR. They did it with Terrell Owens, and for one year it was amazing, then TO became the ass that he is. However, with the exception of the year and half with Owens, McNabb has never had a good group of WRs, yet he's led the Eagles to numerous division titles and NFC Championship appearances. I mean, McNabb won games with freakin' Todd Pinkston, James Thrash, and Freddie Mitchell for cryin' out loud!!!! Peyton Manning has had Harrison and Wayne; Brady now has Randy Moss; Palmer has Chad Johnson and Houshmanzadeh. Imagine if McNabb had those kind of WRs to throw to also . . .

McNabb has been a great QB, but I just feel like he could've been so much more awesome over the years if the Eagles had given him a true #1 WR to work with. And also, if he could've stayed healthy over these last few years. Had that been the case, I'm confident that the Eagles would've made more than just one apperance in the Superbowl. I look back on the past several seasons, including the Eagles four straight NFC Championship appearances, and I see nothing but lost opportunities. The Eagles were far and away the best team in the NFC for several years straight, yet they have nothing to show for it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:10:55 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »

gilee7, great post!  I've made a lot of the same points over the last couple years.  Watch out, there's a lot of anti-McNabb sentiment 'round here.  He is incredibly under-appreciated.  His stats for the 1st 9 years of his career all with horseshit receivers (except for having TO for a season) are amazing.

I am glad Sandman sees the hope in '08...again, it does all depend on McNabb and Westbrook staying healthy.
 beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »

gilee7, great post!  I've made a lot of the same points over the last couple years.  Watch out, there's a lot of anti-McNabb sentiment 'round here.  He is incredibly under-appreciated.  His stats for the 1st 9 years of his career all with horseshit receivers (except for having TO for a season) are amazing.

I am glad Sandman sees the hope in '08...again, it does all depend on McNabb and Westbrook staying healthy.
 beer
They both looked pretty good tonight against the Pats.  Although you have to take into consideration how BAD the Pats have looked their last 2 pre-season games.  I haven't seen such bad football from New England since pre-Bledsoe.  I know it's only pre-season and it really doesn't matter all that much but their defense is gettin absolutely no pressure on the quarterback, they're giving up lengthy drives on a regular basis, and plenty of big plays.  Their special teams look anything but special, maybe specially challenged.  Their offensive line can't protect the quarterbacks or open holes for RB's.  Other than that they've been great.  Kicking game is looking good. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »

My prediction of the Giants not making the playoffs just got firmed up...Osi Umenyiora is out for the season!
Their team's leading sack-master the past 3 seasons is done.  Somewhere, Romo, McNabb, and Campbell are smiling.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »

Losing him is gonna hurt the giants bad.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »

Losing him is gonna hurt the giants bad.

Oh yes sir it will.  Big time.  I heard they might move Kiwanuka from linebacker back to def. end. where he started.  The Giants D has taken a giant step backwards...add that to the bulls-eye on their backs as defending Super Bowl champs.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »

Before the preseason even started, several of you gave your predictions for the upcoming season. Well, I'm not as bold as you guys to predict so soon when so many things can go wrong just in the preseason (look at the Giants with Osi Umenyora). But since we're only one day away from the official kickoff of the 2008 NFL season (my life has meaning again!), I figured I'd jump in with my own pointless predictions and see how horribly wrong they are after the season is over.

AFC playoff teams (in order of seeding)
Patriots
Jaguars
Chargers
Steelers
Colts (wildcard)
Texans (wildcard)

Unless Brady or LT or Peyton or any significant player like that gets hurt, I can't imagine those first five teams missing the playoffs. That last wildcard spot is the only one that's up for grabs. I was going to pick the Jets, but so many others are picking them now that I just want to go against the grain. Favre may have an amazing year this year; he may feel like he has something to prove again . . . Or he may struggle, considering he still doesn't know all the playbook (plus I seriously think the Madden curse will strike again). So I'm going with the Texans as the sixth seed. The AFC South is the NFC East of the AFC, and the Texans seem to win one or two more games every season. They were 8-8 last year, they have a pretty good defense . . . If Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub can stay healthy for an entire season (which is a big question mark), I could definitely see them making the playoffs.

I think the Patriots will probably finish 13-3, but I don't think they'll be anywhere near as good as they were last year. I also think they'll have to rely on the running game a lot more than they did last year . . . I think that this will be the year that the Jaguars finally unseat the Colts to win the division . . . Originally the Chargers were my Superbowl pick for this year, but not with the injury to Merriman; however, their division is weak, so they'll still have a really good record.

NFC playoff teams
Vikings
Cowboys
Saints
Cardinals
Eagles (wildcard)
Panthers (wildcard)

The consensus is that the Vikings are a QB away from being a Superbowl team; but if the Bears could make it to the Superbowl with Rex Grossman, I don't see why the Vikings can't do the same. The Vikings have what should be the best defense in the football, and an amazing running game with Peterson and Taylor . . . The Cowboys have a ton of talent on paper, and they'll probably have a really good regular season, but I think they'll be one-and-done in the playoffs yet again, leading to Wade Phillips getting fired . . . For some reason I'm really high on the Saints this year; I think their offense is going to be insane . . . The AFC West is the worst division in the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks win it by default; however, Hasselbeck has a messed up back, their running game is a question mark, their WRs are all hurt. So, with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards actually win the division (only if Kurt Warner remains the starter, though) . . . I only live about forty-five minutes away from Charlotte, so I can't help but know a lot about the Panthers, and I think they'll going to be pretty good this year. They didn't stand a chance last year considering David Carr, Testerverde, and Matt Moore were each the starter at various points. But now Jake Delhomme is back, and they added Muhsin Muhammad and DJ Hackett, which should finally take some pressure off of Steve Smith. Plus Peppers has looked like his old self during the preseason, and Stewart and DeAngelo Williams should provide a good one-two punch, so yeah, I think this is a playoff team.

I feel bad that the Giants aren't getting any respect considering they are the defending Superbowl champs and all . . . But even before they lost Osi Umenyora for the season I thought they would have a hard time making the playoffs. I see them going 9-7 or 8-8 and just barely missing the playoffs . . . I do think Eli is going to have his best season, though. But it won't be enough to make up for everything their defense lost. If only they played in the NFC West . . .

As an Eagles fan, I'm really excited about this season. The Eagles finished 8-8 last year, yet something just seemed off about the team all season, like they never really came together. Reid had to deal with his sons' legal woes during the offseason; McNabb had to field a million questions about whether he wanted to be traded to the Bears or the Vikings. (Oh, lookie there!! He's still an Eagle!!!!!!!) They lost the first game of the year against the Packers because of two fumbled kick returns, one that was recovered by the Packers for a TD and the other which set up a game-winning FG in the closing seconds. They dominated the Chicago Bears for 58 minutes, then went all to hell at the end and allowed the Bears to march down the field and score a game-winning TD. Donovan McNabb missed the Pats and Seahawks games because of a thumb injury. We lost both games by like 4 points or something thanks to AJ Feeley throwing INTs in the last minute of the game when the Eagles were well in scoring position. (In just two games Feeley threw more INTs than McNabb had all season, yet all these idiots were like "QB CONTROVERSY!!!!") I still believe that if McNabb had played those two games, we would've won them ..... Despite all this, the Eagles barely missed the playoffs; and their offense and defense still ranked in the top-ten. They lost nobody important during the offseason; they added Asante Samuel, which should help create more TOs; DeSean Jackson and Quinton Demps both returned kicks for TDs in the preseason, which is a sign that the special teams will be much improved this year. Plus this is the first season since the Eagles went to the Superbowl that McNabb isn't coming off an injury. He's fully healthy right now, and he has his mobility back. This year everybody will be reminded that, when healthy, McNabb is easily one of the best QBs in the NFL.

I think the Eagles make it back the NFC Championship game this year, and I think they have as good a chance as anyone else to make it to the Superbowl, but I'm extremely biased, so I'm disqualifying myself from picking them. Instead, my Superbowl pick is:

Superbowl
Colts def. Saints

(Damn, I didn't realize I wrote so much!!)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:02:58 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »

THE NFL SEASON STARTS TONIGHT!!!!!

Every year I get more and more excited at the start of the NFL regular season. Today is no exception. I love it and cannot wait till tonights game and finally I can watch some football. Of course, its not great football because the Patriots don't play till sunday but at least its sometype of football.  hihi

Go Redskins tonight!!! And Sunday starts the New England Patriot's run to the super bowl. I hope every other fan enjoy's watching their teams compete for second place!.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »

As a fellow Patriot fan I am NOT excited at the prospect of tonights opener.  I can do without seeing any more plays from the Super Bowl.  I certainly won't tune in for the intro.  Maybe I'll check in for the 2nd half.  For me the season starts on Sunday, as I'll be at Gilette to see the opener.  I can hardly wait.  It'll be like Christmas in September.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2008, 02:15:57 AM »

Not a very exciting game to kick off the season. The Giants kinda won by default. The Redskins just looked confused and disoriented all night, especially near the end of the game in the "take all time you need" two-minute offense.

And what's up with never throwing to TE Chris Cooley? I think he ended up with like 1 catch for 7 yards or something. I have that dude in several fantasy football leagues I'm in. I need him to do good.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »

Yeah the Redskins looked pretty horrendous last night.  Give the Giants defense SOME credit for that, they did play well.  But the Skins offense is not gonna strike fear into many teams out there.  The Giants offense did well early, then Manning seemed to revert to the Eli of old.  I don't think you can take much out of that game, except the Redskins offense is pretty bad and Campbell better improve quickly if he wants to remain a starter.  He's been given plenty of chances.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2008, 11:19:28 AM »

Yeah the Redskins looked pretty horrendous last night.  Give the Giants defense SOME credit for that, they did play well.  But the Skins offense is not gonna strike fear into many teams out there.  The Giants offense did well early, then Manning seemed to revert to the Eli of old.  I don't think you can take much out of that game, except the Redskins offense is pretty bad and Campbell better improve quickly if he wants to remain a starter.  He's been given plenty of chances.

I disagree about Campbell. I think they said last night that he's had 7 different offensive coordinators over the last 7 years, going all the way back to college. Every year he has to learn a new system. I think the guy has talent, he just needs to be given time to get comfortable in one system and stick to it more than one year.

Here Today . . .
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: