Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:16:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261653 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »

Okay I made some changes.  First and foremost the draft has been moved back to Wednesday August 27th at 8:30, just to give us some more time to land some more participants.  Still a full week before the season kicks off, giving time to let the pre season shake down.  I've also changed the league name and password as I'd like to try and open it to all GNR forums, again trying to get more teams.  Problem is I only post here and at www.gnrevolution.com.  I have a few posts over at www.gnrbanned.net.  So I've sent out the info to those 2 forums.  If anyone posts anywhere else though, feel free to share.  Again, I'd like to get at least 4 more teams, preferably 6 more.  I have the max set at 16 but I don't think it'll get to that level, if it looks like it might I can reduce that.  That may be a bit much, but again I don't see that happening.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I changed the password too.  The password is now china.  And what a difference a day makes, we now have 10 members.  Things are shaping up.  Thanks to some of our friends from gnrevolution.  Anyway, here are the new settings.  And again, sorry about any confusion.

League ID#: 268144 League Name: Shackler's Revenge
Password: china
Custom League URL: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/shacklersrevenge
Draft Type: Live Draft 
Draft Time: Wed Aug 27 8:30pm EDT [ Add to My Calendar ] 
Max Teams: 16
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head 
Start Scoring on: Week 1 
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports 
Max Moves: No maximum 
Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum 
Max Trades: No maximum 
Trade Reject Time: 2 
Trade End Date: November 14, 2008 
Trade Review: League Votes 
Waiver Time: 2 days 
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules 
Playoffs: Week 14, 15 and 16 (6 teams) 
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN 
Stat Categories: Passing Yards (25 yards per point; 2 points at 300 yards; 4 points at 350 yards; 6 points at 400 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-1)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 2 points at 100 yards; 4 points at 150 yards; 6 points at 200 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point; 2 points at 100 yards; 4 points at 150 yards; 6 points at 200 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (4)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (5)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (6)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-2)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-1)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-2)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4) 
Fractional Points: Yes 
Negative Points: Yes 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:19:11 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »

I dont mean to be a dick or anything but could you guys make your own thread for the fantasy football game? During the season I really don't want to read through pages of Fantasy football stuff.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »

I dont mean to be a dick or anything but could you guys make your own thread for the fantasy football game? During the season I really don't want to read through pages of Fantasy football stuff.  smoking
good point.  Consider it done

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »

I think Green Bay are gonna live to be morons.

Favre is looking Fantastic in his preseason debut. I am watching it now and on the 2nd Jet drive he led them down and threw his first TD pass.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »

I think Green Bay are gonna live to be morons.

Favre is looking Fantastic in his preseason debut. I am watching it now and on the 2nd Jet drive he led them down and threw his first TD pass.

I think you are wrong D.  It would have been unfair to Rodgers.  This 1st round draft pick has been a back-up since 2005!
2005....2006....2007....how much longer should the Packers have taken it? 

I understand this is a tough predicament.  It reminds me of Axl's situation with Chinese Democracy.  The bar is pretty fucking high for Rose and Rodgers.  If Axl doesn't put out an album of AFD/UYI hits, the public will be disappointed.  If Rodgers doesn't get within 1 play of the Super Bowl, Green Bay fans will be disappointed.  It's all about perspective.

Brett Favre was not the main reason for Green Bay's excellent record last season.  Yes, he was a component, but the strong defense and resurgent running game/line play were the key factors.  (oh yeah, and the fact that 4 of their games were against the Bears and Lions) 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2008, 12:14:40 AM »

See, I dont understand this thinking Axl4prez

What has Aaron Rodgers accomplished in the NFL to "DESERVE" anything? it isnt like Bret Favre missed half a season and decided to come back with GB on a the verge of a playoff birth. I mean really what did Favre miss? a few mini camps? Guess what, he never had to go to those anyway.

I hear people keep saying how it wasn't fair to Rodgers cause he was a first round pick? Favre is a freaking Hall of Famer and a legend and the guy who single handedly put your franchise back on the map. I think he is OWED way more than Aaron Rodgers, a guy who hasnt ever started a game.

Also, u are grossly underrating Favre's contributions last season. Sure he had a better defense and better personnel but it wasn't nowhere as good as Peyton or Brady or even Romo's personnel and he still got to the NFC Title game. had one of his highest QB ratings ever.Im not even a Favre fan but I find myself defending him.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:47 AM »

Unfortunately football isn't just a game, running a football team is a business.  The past 3 years Brett Favre has gone into the off-season unsure of whether he wanted to continue playing or retire.  At least that's what he said.  The Packers had to prepare for their off-season knowing what Favre's plans were so they told him he had to make a choice.  He made his choice, then reconsidered months later.  The Packers had moved on and annointed the man they drafted 3 years ago as Favre's replacement the starter.  It's an unfair situation Favre put the team in.  He IS a legend, but the team had already moved on.  It would've been a slap in the face to Rodgers (who could play for 10+ years compared to Favre's unknown status).  They most likely would've had to cut ties with him and start back at square one to find a replacement for Favre, who again this off-season would've kept the team on the fence about his plans.  It was a mess.  Thanks for the memories Favre, but it was time to part ways.  Let the Aaron Rodgers era begin!

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2008, 11:06:59 PM »

Who's going to be better this season - Eli or Favre?

Saw this discussion on ESPN and various other places.

Overall, I'd have to agree with many and say Eli, due to having the better overall team. Favre's going to have a tough time with the team he's got, but he'll produce some good numbers.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2008, 02:54:26 AM »

I only watched the 1st quarter, but Eli and the Giants looked pretty impressive in last night's preseason game against the Browns.

Here Today . . .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2008, 03:47:02 AM »

Favre will.

Eli still sucks. U felt at times the team won last year in spite of Manning. He did have a great last drive in the superbowl though.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »

Favre will.

Eli still sucks. U felt at times the team won last year in spite of Manning. He did have a great last drive in the superbowl though.
I hate all things having to do with Manning's, but I have to admit he had a GREAT post-season.  They didn't ask him to do too much, which helps.  But he was a great game manager and obviously made the big plays when needed.  I think he only had 1 INT during that run and that was on a dropped pass.  That being said, it is still a question whether he can carry that over to the regular season.  At some points last year he was pretty bad.  I'm friends with lots of Giant fans and pretty much all of them were ready to give up on him through the first half of the season.  So Favre may end up having better numbers than Eli, but I'd rather have Eli behind center in a big game, hands down.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Favre will.

I don't see how you can say Eli sucks. He may not be an elite QB, or even a great QB, but the guy doesn't suck. I'm sure there any many teams out there who would love to have him on their team (Bears, Vikings, 49ers, Dolphins, Bills, Chiefs, Ravens . . . the list goes on). Bottomline is, there aren't a lot of very good QBs in the league right now, and Eli Manning has already accomplished more than several of the supposed very good QBs like Tony Romo and Carson Palmer.

Eli will have more wins this year and better stats than Brett Favre.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:05 PM »

Great debate on Eli or Favre.  Cheers to whoever started this up.

My opinion?  Eli and Favre will have similar stats.  I'd give the slight advantage to Eli.  (barring injuries to the big-name receivers-Plaxico and Jerricho)  Why?  Familiarity with the system.

More wins?  Very close.  I have been proclaiming on this board for quite some time the Giants are not going to make the playoffs this season.  I've got the Giants down for 8 wins.  The Jets might get 8 as well.  Damn, as a betting man, I'd have to give the edge to the Giants, but man will it be close!

I've got a side-bet with a Steelers fan.  $10 say my Vikings have a better regular season record in '08.  Who says I'm getting $10 richer!   beer 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »

Favre will.

I hate all things having to do with Manning's, but I have to admit he had a GREAT post-season.  They didn't ask him to do too much, which helps.  But he was a great game manager and obviously made the big plays when needed.  I think he only had 1 INT during that run and that was on a dropped pass.  That being said, it is still a question whether he can carry that over to the regular season.  At some points last year he was pretty bad.  I'm friends with lots of Giant fans and pretty much all of them were ready to give up on him through the first half of the season.  So Favre may end up having better numbers than Eli, but I'd rather have Eli behind center in a big game, hands down.

I agree completely especially after his performance in the superbowl. He came up BIG and i'd take him again over Favre.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2008, 05:07:14 AM »

I used to call Eli, "Peyton Manning's Little Sister."

But after defeating my Packers in the championship game, he earned my respect.

Unlike my boy Favre, he won't lose the game for the team.

And he beat the Patriots, so what more could I want from him?

Eli will have the better season.  Favre said his arm was fatigued after practice.  He will also be playing on synthetic turf exclusively for the first time this season.  Traditionally, he's been terrible on turf.  He's also OLD.

I love the guy to death, but to say that he will have a better season that Manning is absolutely absurd.
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2008, 05:14:09 AM »

I take the Favre comment about his arm being sore with a grain of salt. Hell Brady has said his arm feels sore in training camp for the past few years. Most quaterbacks during training camps have said their arm is feeling sore. It comes from not throwing the ball every week for close to 7 or 8 months.

Favre and Eli's numbers will be close to the same, barring Favre stays healthy.  smoking

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2008, 05:32:16 AM »

Favre will.

I agree completely especially after his performance in the superbowl. He came up BIG and i'd take him again over Favre.

I'm sorry but I'd rather have a 3-time mvp winner. A guy who holds all kinds of career passing records. A first time ballot hall of famer. The most durable quaterback to ever play the game. Ohh and had one hell of year last year at the tail-end of his career. If I'm building a team this year for the future, yeah i'd take eli. If I'm looking for this year alone. I'd take Favre as my qb.

Though I'd take Tom Brady over anybody in the nfl today. But maybe thats because he's won three superbowls. One Leauge MVP. Two Superbowl MVPS. Four Superbowl Appearences. 5 afc championship appearences. An undefeated overtime record. A 14-3 play-off record. 84–1 (regular season) when he has a lead at any time in the fourth quarter. This list can go on. And he is in his prime.   smoking
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:40:43 AM by High_times » Logged

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2008, 07:54:46 PM »

Last night, while watching Sportscenter, I saw that Anquan Boldin is very unhappy in AZ and wants a trade, and I thought, 'man, how awesome would it be if the Eagles traded for him?' Now that I've just learned that Kevin Cutis is going to have hernia surgery and will miss several weeks of the regular season, I am desperately wishing/hoping/praying/willing to sell my soul so that the Eagles will make a move. Please, Andy Reid, trade an unhappy Lito Shepherd for Anquan Boldin!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

Reggie Brown's banged up right now, too, and already the Eagles' WRs weren't too impressive. They desperately need a true #1 guy . . . DeSean Jackson has looked really good in preseason; he very fast and agile, has good hands, but he's very small. A big, physical WR like Boldin would do wonders for the Eagles offense.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:58:23 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »

Last night, while watching Sportscenter, I saw that Anquan Boldin is very unhappy in AZ and wants a trade, and I thought, 'man, how awesome would it be if the Eagles traded for him?' Now that I've just learned that Kevin Cutis is going to have hernia surgery and will miss several weeks of the regular season, I am desperately wishing/hoping/praying/willing to sell my soul so that the Eagles will make a move. Please, Andy Reid, trade an unhappy Lito Shepherd for Anquan Boldin!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

Reggie Brown's banged up right now, too, and already the Eagles' WRs weren't too impressive. They desperately need a true #1 guy . . . DeSean Jackson has looked really good in preseason; he very fast and agile, has good hands, but he's very small. A big, physical WR like Boldin would do wonders for the Eagles offense.

What made me sit up and listen was how they flat-out said no, they're not interested in Joe Horn....the same wasn't said about Boldin.  Wink   It'll cost a pretty penny, but damn, T.O. showed us what D-Mac can do with an excellent receiver.  Lito and a 2nd rounder next season, and throw in a 4th rounder in 2010, hell, give 'em LJ S mith too, he's just not as good as everybody thought he'd be.  Maybe Arizona would bite.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »

Yeah, I went into a momentary panic when I first learned about Curtis's injury, but now I'm hoping it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. I mean, the Eagles went after Randy Moss during free agency, and they were rumored to be going after Roy Williams and Larry Fitzgerald at one point, so they were already looking to bolster their receiving corps; the injury to Curtis should only push the Eagles to finally pull that trigger. They have two first round picks next year (even though they tend to always trade out of the first round), so losing subsequent draft picks shouldn't hurt, especially when bringing in a proven #1 WR (although Boldin's been a bit injury prone, too).

But, man, imagine if DeSean Jackson develops into a Steve Smith type of WR, and they also bring in Boldin . . . Donovan's stats would off the charts!!! That would also allow Kevin Curtis to move to the slot position, where I think he would be most effective, much like a Wes Walker.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:33:03 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: