Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:19:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261363 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2008, 03:13:28 AM »

Favre will get the Bills and Dolphins Twice, so that will be 4 victories.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »

The New Jersey Jets other QB is Kellen Clemens, a young kid out of Oregon I think???

Pennington will be released.

Jets will win a whole lot more cause Jericho Cotchery and Laverneus Coles are two underrated WR's. They will have a QB now that has an arm to get them the ball down the field.

I'd be in favor of releasing him as long as it frees up money from his contract. He has a pretty big one if i remember correctly.

That and he sucks the big one.

Yeah the two rotator cuff tears really killed him.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2008, 03:37:51 AM »

Favre will get the Bills and Dolphins Twice, so that will be 4 victories.

I'll give you those, though I do think because its a divisional game and the Jets could have some troublesome spots the bills could squeeze one out.

Thats 4 wins.

They play the titans, the bengals--to me thats two losses. They play the seahawks thats three. A potential tough game against denver depending how cutler plays and if they can get a running game going. I'm gonna say thats a toss up. I say they lose to the pats twice again this year. And they lose to the Chargers. So thats 6 losses.

Lets give them wins against the chiefs and the raiders.

So far thats 6-7 or 7-6, depending on the denver game.

Now lets say the 49ers, the cardinals and the rams are wins.

Thats 9-7, or 10-6, again depending on the denver game. Or they could even falter against any team they are playing because we don't know if that offensive line is going to gel or if thomas jones can get it going and Brett Favre cannot revert to the favre of 2005 and 2006 if the jets have any hopes of play-offs.

Bottom line is the Jets are not an instant play-off team because Brett Favre is playing there.

They finish 9-7 or 8-8 and miss the play-offs.  smoking
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:40:42 AM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2008, 04:34:14 AM »

I'm a jets fan and have to agree. They just aren't that good yet. They still have too many holes on defense and offensive line they need to fill via free agency or the draft.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2008, 04:50:22 AM »

Of course not, there is no such thing as an instant playoff team in the AFC. Im not even sure NE are locks. Their D is still a question mark in my opinion.

The Jets spent a lot of money upgrading their offensive line. Laverneus Coles is a BIG time WR who has been stuck with a shitty QB.  He is capable of being a top WR and Jericho Cottrey is a good number 2. Im not a Jet efficiano but don't they also have a pretty damn decent TE also? Becht or something??

Thomas Jones is a decent RB, their D always plays pretty tough. I think the Jets have a shot if the Favre from last year shows up.

I think Favre had to commit to 2 seasons though. So next year, they will really be tough. Question is, who all do they cut to free up 12 million bucks or will Favre restructure?

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2008, 06:10:07 AM »

Of course not, there is no such thing as an instant playoff team in the AFC. Im not even sure NE are locks. Their D is still a question mark in my opinion.

The Jets spent a lot of money upgrading their offensive line. Laverneus Coles is a BIG time WR who has been stuck with a shitty QB.  He is capable of being a top WR and Jericho Cottrey is a good number 2. Im not a Jet efficiano but don't they also have a pretty damn decent TE also? Becht or something??

Thomas Jones is a decent RB, their D always plays pretty tough. I think the Jets have a shot if the Favre from last year shows up.

I think Favre had to commit to 2 seasons though. So next year, they will really be tough. Question is, who all do they cut to free up 12 million bucks or will Favre restructure?

Pennington seems like a good choice to cut.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2008, 09:03:34 AM »

I hate anything to do with Boston, I hate Tom Brady more than I can put into words:

That being said, I think he is the greatest QB in NFL history and will go down that way once he retires. People say Joe Montana blah blah blah but imagine Brady's numbers if he had Randy Moss his entire career like Joe had Jerry Rice for most of his.

i'm a fan of brady and 8 months ago i would have agreed with you. but Brady lost to Eli freakin Manning in one of the biggest sporting events in the history of the world. losing to a clearly inferior team hurt his chances significantly as being recognized as the greatest ever. 

Montana was a perfect 4-0 in the big game.

also, imagine if brady had to face all those incredible NFC teams in the playoffs every year. Bears, Giants, Skins...some of the greatest teams (and defenses) of all time.
I've gotta agree with you here.  Montana never lost a Super Bowl, there's the difference.  I could be wrong, but didn't Montana have ZERO INT's in his 4 Super Bowls?  Brady was right on track to be rated right up there with Joe until that loss.  Brady did have much less talent to work with prior to this year so that could've been an argument for, again until this year.  No excuses for that one.

I'll be the one to say it.

They couldn't cheat this year.

beer
South Park beat you to it buddy.  Little late.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

I hate anything to do with Boston, I hate Tom Brady more than I can put into words:

That being said, I think he is the greatest QB in NFL history and will go down that way once he retires. People say Joe Montana blah blah blah but imagine Brady's numbers if he had Randy Moss his entire career like Joe had Jerry Rice for most of his.

i'm a fan of brady and 8 months ago i would have agreed with you. but Brady lost to Eli freakin Manning in one of the biggest sporting events in the history of the world. losing to a clearly inferior team hurt his chances significantly as being recognized as the greatest ever. 

also, imagine if brady had to face all those incredible NFC teams in the playoffs every year. Bears, Giants, Skins...some of the greatest teams (and defenses) of all time.
I've gotta agree with you here.  Montana never lost a Super Bowl, there's the difference.  I could be wrong, but didn't Montana have ZERO INT's in his 4 Super Bowls?  Brady was right on track to be rated right up there with Joe until that loss.  Brady did have much less talent to work with prior to this year so that could've been an argument for, again until this year.  No excuses for that one.

beer

EVERYONE has beat me to it.  I'm flattered that you think I'm running on original material though, thanks!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »

Favre a Jet...I am THRILLED!!!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »

beer

EVERYONE has beat me to it.  I'm flattered that you think I'm running on original material though, thanks!
Well South Park did it in a creative way at least.  So I can give them credit.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »

Favre's a Jet. Reported on ESPN, breaking news.

No offense to Jets fans, but I find this really sad.  The one-team athlete is so rare these days.  Yeah, yeah, I know he started with Atlanta, but he threw five passes in two games...hardly a significant portion of his great career.  It's like watching Jordan with the Wizards or Montana with Kansas City.  Just doesn't feel right.   

Anyway, good for the Jets, I expect.  Who was their starter?  They weren't still banking on Pennington...were they?

i disagree. it's not sad, nor is it unheard of. as you point out, the two greatest athletes from the 80 and 90's ended their careers with different teams.

the list goes on and on. look at jerry rice. was his legacy hurt at all? no. and does anyone even remember who he last played for? not many do.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »

Yes, u have some valid pts sandman BUT Brady won 3 Superbowls in the era of the Salary Cap.

In my opinion its much tougher to win multiple superbowls now than back in Montana and even Troy Aikman's day. With the cap and Free Agency the way it is, its a huge accomplishment.

Giants weren't inferior, they were just overlooked and underrated and NE were a bit overrated. Giants were the perfect team to beat NE cause they had a pass rush from hell. Thats how u beat Brady and Manning. U gotta make them move in the pocket.

D - those are fair points about the salary cap era. and brady accomplished alot with a bunch of role players. his supporting cast was very good, not world class like montana's.

although another factor that backs the argument for montana being the best is expansion. those 4 extra teams in the league today have really watered things down a bit. and the playoff format is easier for the top seeds these days (they get 2 weeks to prepare for a team that only has 5 or 6 days rest after their opening playoff game).

but with all of this said, brady is the second greatest in my book. i'm not gonna argue with anyone that puts Brady #1. so i think we pretty much agree.

now, if we're talking Tony Home, we'll have something to argue about! hihi   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »

Ok this is a good debate we have going.

So Montana is the greatest ever cause of his super bowl rings?
One surely could say if Dan Marino were on SF they still wouldve won those superbowls and hell, maybe even more.

Montana has Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, John Taylor, a host of great offensive linemen, an all world Defense led by Ronnie Lott, He also had a great RB in Roger Craig.

Mark Duper and Mark Clayton are nowhere near Rice's level. Marino Im not sure even had a perennial 1,000 yard back ever.

plus he didnt have much of a defense either to play with.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »

Of course not, there is no such thing as an instant playoff team in the AFC. Im not even sure NE are locks.

D, what are you smoking dude?  rofl

Who the hell wins the AFC East, the Jets, Bills, or Dolphins???  (that's 1 automatic playoff team)

AFC West?  KC, OAK, or DEN are gonna knock off the Chargers???  (that's 2 automatic playoff teams)

AFC North?  Either the Steelers or Browns win.  (3rd automatic)

AFC South?  Colts or Jags.  (4th automatic)

NE, SD, IND, JAX, PIT......all right Jets fans, beat out the Browns and Titans, and you'll have that 6th seed...not likely.

Brady is the greatest quarterback of all-time.  That's how I see it...and no, I'm not a Patriots' fan, I'm pretty objective.

Favre should do fairly well with NY.  They will not make the playoffs though.  The ceiling, the absolute ceiling is 10-6.  If I had to set an over-under as a bookmaker, I'd peg it at 8-8.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »

No so fast Prez

what if God forbid Brady got injured?

They didnt make the playoffs that one year after the SB.  Their Defense is gonna be a HUGE question mark. Old LB, not Asante Samuel, Harrison is a year older.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2008, 01:55:39 AM »

AFC South?  Colts or Jags.  (4th automatic)

C'mon.  Every year it's "the Jags' year to win the division."  Every year it turns out that it isn't. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2008, 03:56:59 AM »

It looks like Green Bay Packers New York Jets QB Brett Favre is selling out -- of his new jersey!

Sources tell TMZ that the QB has continued his record breaking ways by selling 3200 jerseys ... and counting! That sets a single day sales record and single day, single player jersey sales record.

Just as amazing -- it hasn't been 24 hours since the official announcement of the trade.

Favre's Green Bay jersey is the top selling jersey of all time.

hihi
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »

No so fast Prez

what if God forbid Brady got injured?

They didnt make the playoffs that one year after the SB.  Their Defense is gonna be a HUGE question mark. Old LB, not Asante Samuel, Harrison is a year older.

There's no doubt the Pats secondary took a hit in the off-season.  However, they did get one of, if not thee, best linebacker in the draft this year, and he's been playing with the 1st team, right Faldor?  Of course there's always the chance for injury, but Brady's been solid his whole career.  If any team loses their superstar, they'll be in trouble.

btw,  w.axl.rose, think about the size of the New York area.  Think about the density of wealth around the Big Apple.  8.3 million people in NY City alone...more than LA and Houston put together, much more.  Favre will be swimming in endorsement money.  Literally swimming in it. 

Don't worry Freedom, of course the Colts are the favorite in the South...but the Jags have a solid playoff team and will be a good challenge/likely 2nd place in the division team.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2008, 01:13:45 AM »

Pennington is picked up by Miami - Parcells just loves collecting former Jets!

He may have something left in him, but after 2 rotator cuff surgeries and a horrible '07 season, I'm not sure... I like Pennington so I hope he surprises us  ( except when he plays the Jets)

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »

I can't understand why no one is picking up Byron Leftwich.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: