Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261435 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2008, 01:31:28 PM »

btw, a clause?  you honestly think once a team has traded a player away, they can still exercise a clause like that?  No way.  I'm sure they've thought this through, and that's why they are now considering the deal to the Vikes.   yes

Trade agreements are binding contracts.  There are often provisions in them (like the receiving team can't trade a player for 90 days after the trade is finalized by the league, and up to 360 days to any team within the sending teams division) that are quite binding.  Sometimes those provisions are left out, or sometimes waived (at a cost, usually), but I don't see the Packers doing either of those things, in this case.

If the Jets or Bucs (who, FYI, Favre has refused to even TALK TO) violated those provisions, there would be some pretty serious consequences.  First off, whatever consequences were outlined in the contract (usually a hefty monetary penalty).  Second, there would be league sanctions and punishment (possibly up to losing draft picks).  FINALLY, you'd pretty much screw yourself out of any sort of trade interaction with most of the rest of the league for quite awhile....because they wouldn't trust you.  I don't think ANY team is going to risk that.  No way.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »

Thanks for setting up the league, Faldor. I just joined (same team name as last year: Estranged Eagles). I just spent like 45 minutes trying to remember my yahoo id and password. I had created a new one last year just to play in the HTGTH league, since my others were already full.

I'm interested to see how Fantasy Football drafts work out this year. In the past, RB has always been king. I usually take three RBs in the first five rounds, which works out well most of the time . . . But this year, the list of quality RBs has really shrunk due to all the RBBCs teams are using. You'd be better off taking WRs in Round 2 this year.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »

btw, a clause?  you honestly think once a team has traded a player away, they can still exercise a clause like that?  No way.  I'm sure they've thought this through, and that's why they are now considering the deal to the Vikes.   yes

Trade agreements are binding contracts.  There are often provisions in them (like the receiving team can't trade a player for 90 days after the trade is finalized by the league, and up to 360 days to any team within the sending teams division) that are quite binding.  Sometimes those provisions are left out, or sometimes waived (at a cost, usually), but I don't see the Packers doing either of those things, in this case.

If the Jets or Bucs (who, FYI, Favre has refused to even TALK TO) violated those provisions, there would be some pretty serious consequences.  First off, whatever consequences were outlined in the contract (usually a hefty monetary penalty).  Second, there would be league sanctions and punishment (possibly up to losing draft picks).  FINALLY, you'd pretty much screw yourself out of any sort of trade interaction with most of the rest of the league for quite awhile....because they wouldn't trust you.  I don't think ANY team is going to risk that.  No way.

Thanks Drew and Pilferk...damn!  I am just trying to find a way to bring Brett his best shot at a Super Bowl ring.  (that's with the Vikes of course)   beer

Thanks to Faldor for setting up the league!  I wanted to post that old Axl quote to all the league members who were vanquished by my squad last season:  "You just got the shit kicked out of you, and you keep coming back for more!"   hihi
All in fun guys, all in fun.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2008, 05:37:54 PM »

If Bret Favre takes that 20 million dollar payoff, I will never look at him the same again.
That would be the most fucked up sell out move ever. Dude claims he wants to play football. PLAY football then. Play for the Jets for a year and then have them release u and then join Minnesota. But taking a payout over playing *which is what u say u want to do* would be bullshit and Id lose all respect.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »

D, ya mean Favre might have to live with fortune and shame?   Wink

Don't worry, there's no f'ing way he's taking money to sit on his ass.  I kinda feel sorry for Brett.  He's such a great fucking competitor.  Favre walking away from football would be like you D walking away from sheep.   hihi   (D, looks over at the sheep, "Why can't I quit you!!!")   Grin

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »

Thanks for setting up the league, Faldor. I just joined (same team name as last year: Estranged Eagles). I just spent like 45 minutes trying to remember my yahoo id and password. I had created a new one last year just to play in the HTGTH league, since my others were already full.

I'm interested to see how Fantasy Football drafts work out this year. In the past, RB has always been king. I usually take three RBs in the first five rounds, which works out well most of the time . . . But this year, the list of quality RBs has really shrunk due to all the RBBCs teams are using. You'd be better off taking WRs in Round 2 this year.
Yeah WR's were actually more valuable last year.  Much more in fact, for the most part.  I've heard though that a lot of teams may revert back to a run first mentality.  Last years aerial assault may not carry over.  We'll see though.  As you pointed out though, even teams that focus on the run usually have 2 or 3 backs that they rotate so that creates fantasy nightmares.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »

I missed the draft last year and got stuck with a shitty team

that shit wont happen this year.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »

I missed the draft last year and got stuck with a shitty team

that shit wont happen this year.
Yeah hopefully we can settle on a time that works for everyone this year.  Let me know if anyone has any problems with the current draft time and we'll see if we can come to a consensus.  I know it's still over 2 weeks away but just keep that in mind.  We've got 6 teams in there right now, could use some more.  We had 10 last year.  I'd like at least that many if not more.  The more the merrier I say.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2008, 11:10:08 PM »

Hey, I somehow got deleted from our league...............

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »

Hey, I somehow got deleted from our league...............
You're in there, aren't you?  Team D?

gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2008, 02:47:23 AM »

So who thinks Rodgers is gonna beat Favre in the "open" competition?  rofl

This whole situation just keeps getting uglier and uglier. I still don't think Favre will play for the Packers this season. ESPN said today that if they're gonna trade him to the Vikings, they'll wait to do it just before the regular season starts, that way Favre won't have time to learn the system and torch the Packers in week 1. Poor Aaron Rodgers, though. I think he could be a very solid QB, but he'd be much better off getting out of Green Bay and out from under Favre's shadow. From what I understand, he's a free agent next season . . . I say he runs like hell to another team

Here Today . . .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2008, 03:11:30 AM »

Yeah Im in there. I didnt see it on my list earlier today.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »

So who thinks Rodgers is gonna beat Favre in the "open" competition?  rofl

This whole situation just keeps getting uglier and uglier. I still don't think Favre will play for the Packers this season. ESPN said today that if they're gonna trade him to the Vikings, they'll wait to do it just before the regular season starts, that way Favre won't have time to learn the system and torch the Packers in week 1. Poor Aaron Rodgers, though. I think he could be a very solid QB, but he'd be much better off getting out of Green Bay and out from under Favre's shadow. From what I understand, he's a free agent next season . . . I say he runs like hell to another team
Favre may not begin the season as the starter but Rodgers is gonna be on a short leash.  The first few INT's he throws the fans will get all over him and chant for Favre.  And the Packers will fold and give into what the fans want, just like they have done this whole time with this situation.  I don't see them trading Favre at this point.  Unless some team gets really desparate and gives them an offer they can't refuse.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »

packers could not handle this situation much worse than they have. but i am by no means a big favre fan. Sal Pal summed it up great in his book...

Overhyped: Favre didn't deliver in second half of career

We interrupt the continued deification of Brett Favre -- a first-ballot Hall of Famer and the most durable player in NFL history -- with the following reality check.

Yes, Favre played long enough to throw the most touchdown passes and collect the most wins by an NFL quarterback. But let's examine the second half of No. 4's career. The truth is, Favre did little over the past decade to earn the gushing praise heaped upon him by our fawning brethren in the media.

After beating the San Francisco 49ers in the 1997 NFC Championship Game, Favre won just three of his last 10 playoff games. Eli Manning had more postseason wins in a 29-day span this past season than Favre had in his last decade with the Green Bay Packers.

Yes, Favre won a Super Bowl -- 11 years ago! But as his career arc spiraled downward, the blind adulation only got worse.

Favre's passer rating in his last 12 postseason games was a pedestrian 77.8. In his last five wild-card games, he went 2-3 with more interceptions (nine) than touchdown passes (seven). In his last three divisional playoff games, he went 1-2 with seven TDs and seven interceptions. That's a 3-5 record with 14 touchdown passes and 16 picks.

In two of his last four postseason appearances, Favre threw two of the most unthinkable playoff interceptions in NFL history, both in overtime -- to Brian Dawkins of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003 and to Corey Webster of the New York Giants in January. In fact, Favre is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw overtime interceptions in two playoff games. In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions.

In the first 81 years of the Green Bay franchise, the most hallowed in all of pro football, the Packers were 13-0 at home in the postseason. But since 2002, the Packers have gone 2-3 in playoff games at Lambeau Field, with Favre losing to three not-quite Hall of Fame quarterbacks: Michael Vick, Daunte Culpepper and Manning.

If Manning had a decade like that, he'd be run out of New York. If Philip Rivers kept chucking ridiculous overtime interceptions in the postseason, he would be branded a first-round bust. If Drew Brees came up short in three out of five home playoff games, he'd be mocked.

But no matter how many dumb passes he threw and how many playoff games he lost, Favre remains immune to criticism.

Favre isn't even the greatest quarterback in the history of the Packers. It's not even close. Bart Starr won five NFL championships -- four more than Favre -- and retired as the NFL's most accurate passer.

Oh, you say Starr was surrounded by a Hall of Fame roster with a legendary coach. But Starr still is the NFL record holder with a 104.8 career playoff passer rating, nearly 20 points higher than Favre's. That wasn't Vince Lombardi or Ray Nitschke throwing those passes for Starr, whose career postseason passer rating, by the way, is 38 points higher than Johnny Unitas'.

Favre's career playoff record was 12-10. Starr's was 9-1 -- without the benefit of wild-card games. Favre threw 28 interceptions in 22 playoff games. Starr threw three in 10. Think about that -- just three picks in 213 postseason attempts.

But Bart Starr gets the Ringo Starr treatment -- underappreciated and overlooked. Favre gets put on a pedestal. Yes, he had a Pro Bowl season in 2007 with the youngest roster in the NFL. But his final moment on Lambeau Field was a wildly errant pass that turned into the NFC title for the Giants.

Indeed, a decade after his last moments of glory, the football hype machine continues to paint Favre as a hallowed icon of Americana, a symbol of all that is right with sports, a Wild West gun-slinging good ol' boy. There's Brett on the farm! There's Brett with his family! There's Brett on the cover of Sports Illustrated! There's Brett throwing another overtime interception!

Favre was among the best in the game, once upon a time. Those days are long gone. Only the idolatry remains.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »

I still believe Bret Favre is the most overrated NFL superstar ever.

He may have won 3 MVP awards and 1 superbowl BUT, the guy just makes crucial mistake after crucial mistake to cost his team. the 6 picks against Philadelphia, the INT last year in OT after they won the coin toss in OT.  Threw almost 30 picks a couple seasons ago.

Favre is one of those guys thats always gonna do something to shoot your team in the foot. I think they are better with Aaron Rodgers, simply cause Rodgers would manage the game better.

Remember how horrible Favre was against Dallas last year? rodgers came in and damn near brought them back, Granted Dallas let up but still, Big Game, Favre played like shit.

They wouldn't have beat Seattle if it werent for the huge game by Ryan Grant.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2008, 12:22:14 AM »

Well it looks like Favre's days in Green Bay are numbered after all.  Tampa Bay perhaps?  They may be better of with Jeff Garcia, but if they want to take that chance.  I think the Jets could use him more.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »

I'm sad that he's going to leave Green Bay. 

I am relieved that he thought the $20,000,000 offer was a slap in the face.  He showed a lot of character there.

The man wants to play football.  Let the man play football.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »

He may have won 3 MVP awards and 1 superbowl BUT, the guy just makes crucial mistake after crucial mistake to cost his team. the 6 picks against Philadelphia, the INT last year in OT after they won the coin toss in OT.  Threw almost 30 picks a couple seasons ago.

Agreed, I'll take Tom Brady's 1 MVP and 3 Superbowls every day of the week. Of Course, he plays for the wrong team... so I'm sure most people think he's over rated as well...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

I hate anything to do with Boston, I hate Tom Brady more than I can put into words:

That being said, I think he is the greatest QB in NFL history and will go down that way once he retires. People say Joe Montana blah blah blah but imagine Brady's numbers if he had Randy Moss his entire career like Joe had Jerry Rice for most of his.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »

I hate anything to do with Boston, I hate Tom Brady more than I can put into words:

That being said, I think he is the greatest QB in NFL history and will go down that way once he retires. People say Joe Montana blah blah blah but imagine Brady's numbers if he had Randy Moss his entire career like Joe had Jerry Rice for most of his.

i'm a fan of brady and 8 months ago i would have agreed with you. but Brady lost to Eli freakin Manning in one of the biggest sporting events in the history of the world. losing to a clearly inferior team hurt his chances significantly as being recognized as the greatest ever. 

Montana was a perfect 4-0 in the big game.

also, imagine if brady had to face all those incredible NFC teams in the playoffs every year. Bears, Giants, Skins...some of the greatest teams (and defenses) of all time.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: