Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season - Discuss it all Here  (Read 261795 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #320 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:48 PM »

Chargers got completely FUCKED in this game. Chambers didn't fumble and that play at the goal line was inexcusable. If u fumble, how the hell do u keep the ball?

Even the Ref, Ed Hoculey ( spelling?) admitted he screwed up, he blew the whistle, ruling the play dead when he should not have.  If I was a Charger fan, I'd be livid. I hope Commissioner Goddell looks into this more since Denver should have lost that game, but were handed a win due to a fuck up by the official.

I've always hated that rule (whistle blowing).  Do you blow it and create a situation where you can't challenge, or not blow it and create a situation where the correct call can't win the challenge because there's "not enough evidence to overturn."

Bleh.  How about this.  Let the play continue until over, conference to decide the call, and then let the challenges happen.  This wouldn't apply to 95% of the plays, anyway, so why not make it easier in the rare occasion that it matters?

I suppose the come back to this is that, by not blowing the whistle when they believe the play is over, play continues and someone could be hurt or, in the debate over an incomplete pass vs. fumble, the clock runs off time that wouldn't be lost (if it truly was an incomplete pass).  But you're going to have to play that time anyway, so the injury excuse seems moot, and you can always reset the clock to the point of incompletion. 

I dunno.  Are there any OTHER excuses to not fix this?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #321 on: September 15, 2008, 12:42:03 AM »

It is complete bull-shit. The the chargers should have recovered that fumble and would have won the game.

However, even though the refs fucked it up, the chargers still had opportunities to stop the broncos on both the touchdown and the gutsy 2-point conversion. I know the refs blew it big time, but the chargers still had the lead after that call until 3 plays later.

I hate the Broncos and chargers. But, Cutler has to feel very good after that. He throws a pick in the endzone on the previous drive. Fumbles the ball inside the 10, but the refs fuck up. Than after a running play they have him throw it in for a touchdown. After that, with 21 seconds left (i think) Shanahan puts the win in his hands. Thats a good way to show your team you believe in them, whether you get it or not. And a great way to tell your quaterback, that you have confidence in him to win the game.

Go Pats, nice game by Cassel. Scared me a little going down just before the two-minute warning favoring his knee. I was like, fuck! Not another knee injury!.  hihi Happy they won and expect more games like this. I was dissappointed that they were so conservative before kicking the field goal to get to 16. They ran like 4 times in a row leading up to that. However, I was very happy later in the game when they were up 16-10 on a 3rd and 6 in field goal range and let Matt Cassel throw it. Even though it was incomplete, they have to show confidence in his ability. And with not much time left, in field goal range, and throwing it on 3rd down, shows you have confidence in him.  smoking
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:44:08 AM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #322 on: September 15, 2008, 12:47:45 AM »

Chargers got completely FUCKED in this game. Chambers didn't fumble and that play at the goal line was inexcusable. If u fumble, how the hell do u keep the ball?
I know, I would be livid if I was a Charger fan.  Worse than the tuck rule in the snow?  I think so, just not in as high profile a game so I don't know if it'll be viewed that way.  But that was a  tough call to say the least.

Entirely different than the tuck rule. The ball fell out of Cutler's hand and the chargers recovered but the ref blew the whistle. That was soley his fuck up. The Tuck Rule was a legitimate rule and still is. It just almost never happens. He was obviously going to tuck it and they reviewed and did it straight towards the rules.

I know the Refs followed the rules in the Chargers/Broncos with the whistle blowing..the mistake is that the whistle should never have been blown. What mistake was made in the Tuck Rule Call? None.  smoking

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #323 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »

I know, I would be livid if I was a Charger fan.  Worse than the tuck rule in the snow?  I think so, just not in as high profile a game so I don't know if it'll be viewed that way.  But that was a  tough call to say the least.

Entirely different than the tuck rule. The ball fell out of Cutler's hand and the chargers recovered but the ref blew the whistle. That was soley his fuck up. The Tuck Rule was a legitimate rule and still is. It just almost never happens. He was obviously going to tuck it and they reviewed and did it straight towards the rules.

I know the Refs followed the rules in the Chargers/Broncos with the whistle blowing..the mistake is that the whistle should never have been blown. What mistake was made in the Tuck Rule Call? None.  smoking
Oh believe me, I love the tuck rule.  I'm a Pats fan.  That's my favorite rule in football.  I agree, as pissed as Raider fans and Patriot haters were at that call, it was a legit rule.  As you said, the inadvertant whistle is legit as well, but somethng that COULD'VE been avoided.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:42 AM »

Tampa Bay is trying to trade Jeff Garcia, who I think is probably the most under-appreciated QB in the NFL. The Vikings should make an offer.

Here Today . . .
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #325 on: September 15, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »

In other news, I just saw the tooth fairy rob a bank owned by the Easter Bunny, with a gun loaned to her by Santa.  yes

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #326 on: September 15, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »

Tampa Bay is trying to trade Jeff Garcia, who I think is probably the most under-appreciated QB in the NFL. The Vikings should make an offer.

As the #1 Vikes fan here, I agree whole-heartedly!  Turdvaris Jackson has to go.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #327 on: September 15, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »

Minnesota should've signed Chris Simms.

Damn Vikings, U have to love how they shut down Indy the entire game and for whatever reason, Childress and CO went into the Prevent D.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #328 on: September 15, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »

In other news, I just saw the tooth fairy rob a bank owned by the Easter Bunny, with a gun loaned to her by Santa.  yes

The tuck rule is not a fictional situation. It was and still IS an actual rule and the nfl has stated the right call was made during the patriots/raiders game. People can bitch all they want but that was a legitimate call and no mistake was made. Did it look like a fumble? I thought it was. Was he tucking the ball? Yes he most definetly was. Therefore according to the NFL than and now it is considered an incomplete pass.

Bitch all you want but if the same thing were to happen this sunday in any game, the same call would be made. They are not planning or ever plan to remove the rule.

The difference in the tuck rule and the chargers/broncos game and other "bad" calls is that the ref made a mistake. In the chargers game, he blew the whistle when he should not have. My point is that in raiders/patriots game, no mistake by an official was made. They did everything according to how the rule states it should be done with no human error in the offciating of that play. Unlike the fumble in the chargers game where human error caused the bronco's to retain possesion.

Minnesota should've signed Chris Simms.

Damn Vikings, U have to love how they shut down Indy the entire game and for whatever reason, Childress and CO went into the Prevent D.

Yeah, sign a guy who hasn't played in forever, stick him in your offense and see how he does. Its not going to be any better thats for sure.

Jackson needs more time to develop. I think they have to give him the majority of this season to see if he can be the guy. Win or lose. Signing anybody else, including Garcia or Sims, at this point is not going to make this team a superbowl contender. Jackson should remain the starter for at least half this season just to see where he is and if they can develop him. The other guys they got now aren't gonna do better..but they could definetly do much worse. If by december the vikings are out of the play-offs and Jackson is definetly not the guy, than I say throw John David Booty in there to see if he's got anything in the last four or five weeks of the season.  smoking

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #329 on: September 15, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »

Wow the terrible officiating is continuing tonight. They just missed a blatant face mask. The league really needs to start fining some of these officials for blowing calls.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »

The tuck rule is not a fictional situation. It was and still IS an actual rule and the nfl has stated the right call was made during the patriots/raiders game. People can bitch all they want but that was a legitimate call and no mistake was made. Did it look like a fumble? I thought it was. Was he tucking the ball? Yes he most definetly was. Therefore according to the NFL than and now it is considered an incomplete pass.

Bitch all you want but if the same thing were to happen this sunday in any game, the same call would be made. They are not planning or ever plan to remove the rule.

The difference in the tuck rule and the chargers/broncos game and other "bad" calls is that the ref made a mistake. In the chargers game, he blew the whistle when he should not have. My point is that in raiders/patriots game, no mistake by an official was made. They did everything according to how the rule states it should be done with no human error in the offciating of that play. Unlike the fumble in the chargers game where human error caused the bronco's to retain possesion.

I wasn't bitching at all. 

You're arguing for a special class of fumbling that counts as an imcomplete pass.  I'm arguing for a special type of 100% non-existent fairy tale/religious creature that happens to rob banks.  The way I see it, we're on the same side, here.  Grin

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2008, 01:04:49 AM »

rant rant rant rant I HATE THE FUCKING COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  rant rant rant rant

What an entertaining game, though. The Eagles-Cowboys never fail to disappoint. Just the first half alone felt like an entire game. I was already emotionally exhausted before halftime.

It was good seeing Donovan escape pressure and make plays with his legs, which he was unable to do last year. But he also made a few huge mistakes that won't help him gain anymore love. Early in the game, on a third down in the redzone, he threw the football into the ground at Westbrook's feet, which McNabb has done a lot in his career. Then near the end of the game, he overthrew Westbrook on a third down. The killer, however, was the fumble between he and Westbrook, which was McNabb's fault. He basically pump-faked Westbrook. I guess McNabb wasn't really wanting to hand the ball off. Maybe he had a different play in mind. I don't know. When that fumble happened, though, I knew that Eagles had probably just lost the game--- whereas if they had scored on that drive, they probably would've won the game.

I'm worried about next weekend now: Philly vs. Pittsburgh. After such an exhausting, emotional loss, and a short week ahead, will the Eagles bounce back against (what I believe is) the best team in the AFC right now?? It's gonna be tough.

I look forward to the Eagles getting their revenge on Dallas at the end of the season, though, when Romo and Co. start their annual collapse.

Here Today . . .
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2008, 02:05:08 AM »

It was a great game. Too bad the cowboys won.  Cry Man are they un-disciplined. Too many penalties. What was up with so many face-masks? The adverse effect of having Wade Phillips coach your team. But who gives a fuck when your winning? However, they need to get that corrected as the season goes on cuz penalites can cost you a game.

At least the Eagles had that amazing play by DeSean Jackson.  rofl What a fuckin douchebag.  hihi smoking

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:05 AM »

It was a great game. Too bad the cowboys won.  Cry Man are they un-disciplined. Too many penalties. What was up with so many face-masks? The adverse effect of having Wade Phillips coach your team. But who gives a fuck when your winning? However, they need to get that corrected as the season goes on cuz penalites can cost you a game.

At least the Eagles had that amazing play by DeSean Jackson.  rofl What a fuckin douchebag.  hihi smoking

That play was awful he is lucky it didn't cost them a touchdown.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #334 on: September 16, 2008, 09:09:33 AM »

Here is the story:

Eagles WR Jackson celebrates prematurely

IRVING, TEXAS (TICKER) ?Philadelphia Eagles rookie wide receiver DeSean Jackson was a bit too quick to celebrate an apparent touchdown during Monday?s 41-37 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

After reeling in what he thought to be a 61-yard scoring strike from Donovan McNabb in the second quarter, Jackson let the ball go before he crossed the goal line.

The Cowboys challenged the play and the subsequent reviews substantiated their claim.

The ball was ruled dead on the field of play, so the Eagles were given the football and Brian Westbrook promptly scored on the next play to give the Eagles a 27-21 lead.

?I felt when I caught the ball, it was a deep pass and thought I was in the end zone,? Jackson said. ?But I learned from that and just keep going. The biggest thing was Westbrook got in there and scored for us.

?It wasn?t like it was a turnover or anything like that, but definitely, I learned from it. It was just one of those things, I was overexcited, just young and trying to have fun is the

biggest thing. I?m kind of mad at myself because I could have had a touchdown, but I just kept playing.?

Jackson finished with six catches for 110 yards and became only the second player in NFL history to record over 100 receiving yards in his first two games. Philadelphia?s Don Looney accomplished the feat in 1940.

One of the team?s two second-round picks in April?s NFL draft, Jackson scored 29 touchdowns in 36 games as a wide receiver and return specialist at California.

The 5-10, 175-pound Jackson set a Pac-10 Conference record with six career punt returns for touchdowns, two shy of the NCAA all-time record.

The 49th overall pick, Jackson had 65 receptions for 762 yards and six touchdowns last season. He eclipsed the 1,000-yard receiving mark as a sophomore and caught 22 TD passes in three seasons at Cal.

Jackson?s 16.7 return average is the second highest in Pac-10 history.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txeaglesjackson&prov=st&type=lgns

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

That was almost a huge boneheaded move by Jackson

Lucky for me he did it, cause Westbrook getting another TD led me to a victory in our fantasy league!

Philly will beat Pittsburgh. They won't lose at home to an in state rival, PLUS Big Ben's shoulder is hurt, did u see the Cleveland game?

The "D" locks of the week for u gamblers.

Take these on the moneyline:

NYG over Cincy
NE over Miami
Buffalo over Oakland

For a parlay victory take:
Denver -6 against NO
Tennessee -6 against Houston
Dallas -4 against GB
Philadelphia -3 against Pittsburgh

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »

Ed Hochuli is very frowny after the disaster in Denver

By MJD

According to NFL supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, Ed Hochuli is "devastated" at what went down in Denver on Sunday. If you missed it, Hochuli made an inexplicable mental gaffe--I won't call it a "blown call" or "missed call" because I think it goes a little beyond that--that almost directly cost the Chargers a loss against the Broncos.

From Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune:

No one, it appears, is taking the mistake and its ramifications harder than Hochuli.

"He's devastated," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's supervisor of officials. "... I was talking to Ed within 10 minutes after the game was over, and he was sick. He's still sick (yesterday).

"Everybody works so hard and wants to be perfect in a game you're not likely to ever be perfect. I've talked to him three times. He's really struggling with the fact he made such a bad call."

Hochuli's also manning up and taking his e-mail lumps. His e-mail address isn't hard to find with a simple Yahoo! search, and he's been bombarded with hate mail. And still, he's replying to everyone. Someone relayed the following reply from Hochuli to a message board at the San Diego Union Tribute.

I'm getting hundreds of emails ? hate mail ? but I'm responding to it all. People deserve a response.

You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea ...

Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection ? I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry.

No one was more upset about the call than me, I promise you. I was driving to a friend's house after the game, and had to stop at a local convenience store so I could throw a child-like fit and kick inanimate objects. I said things about Ed Hochuli in the hours after the loss that could've gotten me arrested. Eventually, my grief took the form of a letter from Ed's dog.

But knowing now that Hochuli feels so bad about it, it sort of takes some of the venom out of me. It's hard to hate a guy who knows he screwed up and feels bad about it.

It's just so hard to understand why he blew that whistle. A ball went flying backwards out of the quarterback's hand. In what way would that lead anyone to believe that a play should be blown dead? Why would it even occur to him to blow the whistle?

It's not like Hochuli missed a hold, or botched a pass interference call. I rarely complain about mistakes like that. There are so many shades of gray on every play, and there's so much to see. Judgment calls will be blown, and that, I've learned to live with.

This was different, though. Hochuli wasn't making a judgment. There's no way he could look at what Jay Cutler did from any angle and conclude that he threw a forward pass, any more than you could watch Ryan Seacrest wax his chest and then conclude that mashed potatoes are delicious. It just couldn't happen.

Anyway, the man feels bad about it, he's been punished, and I think I can start to let it go now. Hopefully someday, I'll once again be able to look at Ed Hochuli and see a fine official with great pecs, instead of the guy who handed Denver a win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ed-Hochuli-is-very-frowny-after-the-disaster-in-?urn=nfl,108018

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »

Ok, I am getting sick of peopel piling on Ed Holchuli

SD can cry and bitch and whine all they want.

They still have 2 chances to stop Denver and Shanahan I think went for 2 just to say to SD:

Hey u got screwed but here's your chance.

SD couldn't stop Denver, they gave up 31pts....... So yeah, U can blame it ALL on Ed or you can be professionals and have class and say, "U know what?" Ed isn't the only reason we lost that game. we still had chances. 4th and 4 and then a 2pt conversion

Your D "Failed"

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »

The Vikings are going with Frerotte for the rest of the season.

Well, it can't get any worse.   Cry

(hey Jeff Garcia's agent, if you're reading this, call the Vikes!  Please!!!)

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »

The Vikings are going with Frerotte for the rest of the season.

Well, it can't get any worse.   Cry

(hey Jeff Garcia's agent, if you're reading this, call the Vikes!  Please!!!)
Just make sure good ole Gus doesn't get so excited that he headbutts any walls this season.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: