Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain releases new DVD drum lesson, mentions Bumblefoot
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain releases new DVD drum lesson, mentions Bumblefoot  (Read 9524 times)
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 08:37:27 AM »

I remeber there was a great video interview online with Brain and he talked about drumming, and what it was like with GNR, with his flaming GNR set behind him. After the interview they played a song by him and Buckethead Cry

Man, I miss Bucket.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »

http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/175/29/

REVIEW

Bryan "Brain" Mantia (whose name is more often mistakenly spelled Brian) is a contemporary rock drummer who has played with the likes of Primus, Guns N' Roses and Godflesh, as well as other popular performers such as Tom Waits and Buckethead.

For those who have seen the 1991 release, Brain's Lessons: Shredding Repis On the Gnar Gnar Rad, Brain plays through some of his favorite funk and ostinato patterns ... this 2007 DVD release is nothing like it. Well I take it back, both videos have the home movie feel, but "the worst instructional dvd ever" also has  documentary/interview type footage as well ... all done 'tongue-in-cheek'. There are humorous moments in he DVD ... although that is subjective and will vary from viewer to viewer. Some will think the entire DVD is hilarious while others, like myself, will find it mildly amusing. If you don't like films such as Napoleon Dynamite, Nacho Libre or Spinal Tap, don't waste your time on this DVD ... you won't get the humor. Now I don't mean to imply that Brain Has Made the Worst Drum Instructional DVD Ever is anythng like those other films, but it is full of satire. I found a few parts of this DVD rather humorous and laughed outloud at one point during the segment entitled "Brain Buys Used Drums" (see video clip below). In several scenes there's some crass language which I think could/should have been left out. The bulk of the cursing comes from a character dressed as a catholic priest, and is feebly censored, on purpose, so you can still make out what is being said quite plainly. For that reason I'm giving this my own Parental Advisory.

Per the DVD's title, this isn't an instructional DVD by any means ... and if it were, it is in fact the worst! The only thing that is "discussed" is 2 and 4; more commonly known as the backbeat. Brain does play quite a bit on this DVD, so fans will enjoy getting to see him play within a number of 'duo' type scenarios (eg. DJ or guitarist).

I think the majority of the people who purchase this DVD would do so without reading one word of what I've written here. You can always chalk this up as my worst DVD review ever ... hopefully
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »

Bumblefoot was interviewed in late 2006 or early 2007

Could you post a link to that interview?
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »

You can tell by commenting on Merck that he's saying Merck thought he was god and everyone should bow down to him, or something along those lines.  The guy playing Merck in the video had a god like pose with somebody bowing down in front of him, so I'm assuming hes saying Merck thought he was top notch or above everyone including Axl.  Those BUCKETHEAD scenes were AWESOME, especially him dancing around like Michael Jackson with the zombie outfit and the piano playing....PERFECT!!!  I'm sold...
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 11:18:12 PM »

They may have 'jammed' (although I have no information/source to verify it one bit) but they have never shared a stage together.

Its good to hear that they are all one big happy family.
I guess that means we will get to hear Buckethead's input into CD.
Some here have speculated that Bumble Foot could be re doing Bucketheads work.

Maybe Bucket will appear on the album and maybe he won't. But this has nothing to do with the relationship between Bucket and Bumblefoot. Axl said a little while ago that Bucket would indeed still be on the album, whether he will be when we get to hear it, that remains to be seen. However Axl is known for wanting the band on albums. Buckethead is no longer in Guns N' Roses. I'm sure he'll be credited for any arrangements that he wrote and receive his due.

When did they play together? That would be a sweet listen.

Bumblefoot was interviewed in late 2006 or early 2007, I cannot remember which where he talked about the rumored tension and resentment between himself and Buckethead. He squashed it and told the interviewer that it was total shit. Just people on the forums yapping away. Then he talked about his history with Bucket, how he saw him without his mask and how they jammed together. That's all I can remember from the interview.

Regardless, there is no reason to think there was/is any animosity between the two. I'm a big fan of both guitarists (go figure) and I consider myself to be a fairly good source on both of them. Prove me wrong with some crazy thing that I've never read or a picture of Ron chasing after Bucket for stealing his Cherry Frozen Yogurt and I'll retract my statements.

Buckethead is no longer in the band and left Guns N' Roses. That was his decision. If you don't agree with the way someone works or there is a clash that wears you too thin, you find a new job and choose not to be apart of it anymore. His decision. However, let me remind you all the good things that Bucket said about Axl, the band, and the album before his departure. I obviously don't know the in-the-studio side of it, but he seemed like a pro to me. Sure there are clashes of ego and opinion but that happens in the formation of all great art. Don't put a microscope on it. Bumblefoot is in the band now and is a great fit. Bucket's off being Bucket and he seems to enjoy that sort of thing. It seemed to work out. No shattered dreams and broken lives.

sami ben tovim
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »

Brain: can you tell me what bumble foot means..

Thats all he says  peace

Quite why Ron has a thing for bee's feet (assuming he does) I know don't.

The full quote is:  Brain:  "Its not a dream anymore it turned into a nightmare.  Can you tell me what bumblefoot means?" 

I saw that Merck flash too.  Weird.......

when he says that to a monkey,i dont think thats a joke
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 10:30:39 AM »

I remeber there was a great video interview online with Brain and he talked about drumming, and what it was like with GNR, with his flaming GNR set behind him. After the interview they played a song by him and Buckethead Cry

Man, I miss Bucket.

You don't have a link for this?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »

The full quote is:  Brain:  "Its not a dream anymore it turned into a nightmare.  Can you tell me what bumblefoot means?" 

when he says that to a monkey,i dont think thats a joke

when it's not a joke, the answer is 'totter'.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »

They may have 'jammed' (although I have no information/source to verify it one bit) but they have never shared a stage together.

You are right

Right before Bucket began playing with GN'R, they had met and spoke briefly about working together, having Ron sing on Bucket's music, but nothing ever surfaced
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:08 PM »

Wow, that would be awesome, even tho Bumble should play guitar too. Smiley

This reminds me about a interview we did with him for my board about a year ago..:

9. Musically, what are the main differences between you and Buckethead?

About a foot in height.

hihi

ben9785
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »

I received my copy of the DVD, so I'll post a full review in the near future.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »

plz do. thanks in advance.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

Found this video on a orkut community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHCpI_hLRaU

Funny and kick ass. Cheesy

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Can I ask how much you paid for this dvd because the cheapest I saw it listed for was $30 which I think is ridiculously high for what appears from the trailer to be a spoof full of "inside" jokes.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 08:09:04 PM »

Bumblefoot is in the band now and is a great fit.

That's just your opinion, don't talk like it is a fact. Many disagree totally on that... I mean MANY.

This signature is very funny.
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »

Bumblefoot is in the band now and is a great fit.

That's just your opinion, don't talk like it is a fact. Many disagree totally on that... I mean MANY.

I suppose your a bucket fan who thinks hes a great fit in the band?
yes he was a talented guitarist but he looked so god dam out of place in gnr, bumble doesnt

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »

Some day in the future, I would love to see Bumblefoot, Buckethead, and Brain work together on a track or two. Imagine what insane shit would come from that...
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 06:07:05 AM »

Some day in the future, I would love to see Bumblefoot, Buckethead, and Brain work together on a track or two. Imagine what insane shit would come from that...

man I never thought about that,

I think in a perfect world , could they actually put their differences aside , and once that happens,

I rekon they could create some of the best guitar music the world has ever seen,
but life being life , things we want dong usually happen..

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 06:38:34 AM »

Brain buys a crappy drumset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm90-ZcFtKY&feature=related

not sure that's part of the new dvd, but it's awesome and funny IMO hihi
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 07:13:39 AM »

oh well i think the guys in the band now are far better than the 2001/2 line up, they were horrid. Axls voice wasnt at its best then either.

html sucks
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: