Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Gibson Endorsement / Guitar Question
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gibson Endorsement / Guitar Question  (Read 13363 times)
rockNroses
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »

Does the band really endorse Gibson guitars? I can not find anything on the Gibson website.

I heard that Ron had (?) to play a Gibson Les Paul to join Gn'R and that he insisted on a Flying V instead of a Les Paul for some songs? Is that true? Before and outside Gn'R I think he plays other brands/models usually. Do you think that is why he sounds different in Guns?

Richard uses a Tele (?) and a Danelectro (?) sometimes in Gn'R, but he did not get his own custom Les Paul before joining Guns, right? I think he also used other guitars (Gretsch?) before and outside Guns.

Both Ron and Richard never seem to use Gibson guitars much in their solo spots, do they? And Buckethead I think he mostly used his Jackson V during his solo spot. Also, I saw pics of Robin using a Fender Stratocaster (!) in the studio, but on stage with Guns he plays Les Pauls only. (If you listen to his solo in Better I think that's P-90's or even real single coils, for me he sounds pretty close there to David Gilmour on Pink Floyd's "Another Brick The Wall Pt. 2".)

I know it's probably a stupid question, but playing guitar myself, I really would like to know what each members prefered and favourite guitar is and if they officially endorse Gibson guitars. The amps and pickups would also be intresting. Very little is known about the equipment, so maybe someone can help and shed some light onto that?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »

http://robinfinck.com/quest/faq/gear.php

http://www.4tus.com/ (click Gear)

http://www.bumblefoot.com/gear/gear.htm

Also, Robin @ Gibson showroom: http://www.striglsmusicnews.com/gibson/gibson.htm

/jarmo
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:41:37 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »

Robin uses a semi-acoustic on Used To Love Her.

And I don't think it's a P-90 on his Better solo - at least it didn't look like it from what I've seen on boots... I don't know very well the sound of the P-90, tho.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

Yeah, its a humbucker (at least live):

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »

I think if you are going to play guitar in GNR, you better have a Paul or two.  The tone on a Les Paul is much different than a Strat.  So why try to reinvent the wheel.  The Les Paul is the greatest hard rock Axe ever.  Period.  End of discussion.  Its thick ballsy tone made it famous. 
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 06:07:05 AM »

a P-90 is a single coil pickup, so it would sound less phat than a humbucker.

Chinese Democracy!
rockNroses
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »

So few guitar freaks round here?

Thanks for the links Jarmo but there is not really that much to be found there, just pictures of their guitar stands but no details about the pickups, effects, sounds, personal preferences...thanks anyway.

I was talking about the studio (demo) version of Better, I'm not an expert or anything but it really doesn't sound like a humbucker to me in the blues solo at the end.

No more info about a collaboration with Gibson of some kind to be found out there?
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »

Amp companies endorse guitarist not the other way around. Just because someone plays a paul doesn't mean they are endorsed. I don't think any of the current guitarist are sponsored by Gbison.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 09:21:34 PM »

Man, they all have a bunch of pedals and complex stuff I wouldn't even know how to work.  I look at there amps and wonder why they need all this other garbage. They are all playing good amps with good guitars.  Don't over process the sound.  The amp sounds great as it is.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »

Man, they all have a bunch of pedals and complex stuff I wouldn't even know how to work.  I look at there amps and wonder why they need all this other garbage. They are all playing good amps with good guitars.  Don't over process the sound.  The amp sounds great as it is.

Well, their guitars sound great going through the things they use.

So it isn't really a problem is it?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 09:48:12 PM »

It is if you don't do it the way Slash did/does it.

Because, as you know...that's the only way to go about things.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

ADZ, that is a matter of opinion.  Often times Bumble sounds way too over processed.  But you almost have to be to play those nasty sweeps and leads he is playing.  The more processed it gets, the less ballsyness it gets.  I love gain and distortion, but after a while, if you are relying on that many stomp boxes, maybe you have more of an amp issue.  Lets face it, most gnr songs is pretty much les paul, to marshall.  Some reverb, chorus, delay, typical stuff.  So I don't always get the need to have all these stomp boxes and stuff. But you gotta think too, its probably stuff for one song only.  And not to bring Slash into this, but his tone is much better than the current guys and he is using less effects.  So you tell me.    Billy Gibbons may have the greatest tone EVER, and he has a shit load of stuff his guitars run though.  So you are right.  Its whatever sounds good to the ears, but they would sound just fine plugged straight into the amp as well.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »

Eddie, ha, good one.  Maybe they should all just play strats through fender amps. 
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »

Why bring Slash into this , and Jarmo says its the VR fans that bring Axl into shit. First off let me give a list

Joe Perry
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray vaughn
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Jame Hetleild
Kirk Hammet

and SO many more guitarist did it like this ( little to no effects ) , tone comes from an AMP not your giant ass pedal board. Pedals are used to cover up a lot , a real guitarist can pug straight into the amp and sound amazing. So get your facts straight.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »

Why bring Slash into this , and Jarmo says its the VR fans that bring Axl into shit. First off let me give a list

Joe Perry
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray vaughn
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Jame Hetleild
Kirk Hammet

and SO many more guitarist did it like this ( little to no effects ) , tone comes from an AMP not your giant ass pedal board. Pedals are used to cover up a lot , a real guitarist can pug straight into the amp and sound amazing. So get your facts straight.

Exactly!!!!!  Though they are "neat" I find that a great player really only needs a guitar and kick as amp and he can take care of rest.  Why a player on level of Bumble needs all that processed hocus pocus is beyond me.  But many virtuosos suffer from this.  That TSL 2000 amp Fink uses is pretty damn good.  So I don't know.  I guess they are searching for their own sound or something. 
marcelj
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 05:40:21 AM »

Bumble plays vigier........it's a french brand, (I have one myself)  http://www.vigierguitars.com/
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUKtl9SgUM

I wouldn't say Slash is as innocent as he seems, anyhow.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »

Pedals are used to cover up a lot , a real guitarist can pug straight into the amp and sound amazing. So get your facts straight.
What the fuck? It is a matter of having their own tone. Everybody sounding the same wouldn't do any good... So you're saying guitar players like Van Halen, Paul Gilbert and the new guys aren't "real guitarists"? Also, Jimi Hendrix used fuzz pedals (like Robin) A LOT, so don't talk about what you don't know.  Roll Eyes

Also, there's some songs that needs different effects (Chinese Democracy intro, for example). Just because they have all those effects it doesn't mean it's used all the time.

People here are way too attached to Slash's old school to think outside the box. You know, there's more ways to get some nice and interesting sounds from a guitar.. Try to listen to some Radiohead, Muse... There's life after AFD.

And not to bring Slash into this, but his tone is much better than the current guys and he is using less effects.
As far as live tone, I'd go with Robin's tone anytime. It's your opinion, obviously.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:21:17 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

I was talking about the studio (demo) version of Better, I'm not an expert or anything but it really doesn't sound like a humbucker to me in the blues solo at the end.
IMO, sounds like indeed a humbucker with a lot of attack. Maybe it's a matter of mic position...

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUKtl9SgUM

I wouldn't say Slash is as innocent as he seems, anyhow.

You know pretty much when slash is using any of his effects....  I said earlier he uses them.  And when he does, its pretty simple.  His main pedal is the wah however and the wah is the greatest pedal ever!  Ha.  Adz, nobody would say Slash has a "compressed" or "processed", its mainly amp and guitar doing the work.  I have no problem with what the other guys do to get good tone. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: