Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  record company and CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: record company and CD  (Read 17310 times)
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

btw... what are we gonna do to celebrate Jarmo's 20,000th Post???  peace

Ban him.

For a day.

Wink

This forum would go to absolute shit within minutes of him leaving... 19,000 of his 20,000 post are shutting up VR and Slash deciples.  hihi

that and correcting rumors and bullshit people post... oh yeah and telling people that he is dictator of Jarmoland and he says what goes on. it's pretty sad... he wouldn't have so many posts if there was a mandatory I.Q. test when you register. That would eliminate atleast 60% of dumbasses...  yes
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »

btw... what are we gonna do to celebrate Jarmo's 20,000th Post???  peace

Ban him.

For a day.

Wink

This forum would go to absolute shit within minutes of him leaving... 19,000 of his 20,000 post are shutting up VR and Slash deciples.  hihi

that and correcting rumors and bullshit people post... oh yeah and telling people that he is dictator of Jarmoland and he says what goes on. it's pretty sad... he wouldn't have so many posts if there was a mandatory I.Q. test when you register. That would eliminate atleast 60% of dumbasses...  yes

OT, but I think he HAS eliminated at least 60% of the dumbasses already. Just take a look at mygnr and you'll see what I mean.  Wink
ben9785
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

Hey Jarmo, I'd like to ask your thoughts -

Based on your own personal opinion, and possibly even some information that you have been able to get
from sources close to the band, do you really believe that the record company may be holding up the release of the album?

Obviously your not Axl Rose's personal business assistant to know so much, but do you really believe the album might come out this year, based on all the speculation?

Now I just want to make it clear, since obviously its hard to understand someone's intention in asking a question just by reading text, but this is a serious question and not sarcastic in any way - I would genuinely like to know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Ben.

gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »

WHy ask when u already should know some of your questions if u look into how to release an album, how to promote it, how to make money of it etc etc...

ben9785
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »

WHy ask when u already should know some of your questions if u look into how to release an album, how to promote it, how to make money of it etc etc...

I'm not sure if that comment was directed in response to my question, but if it was -

Yes, I am aware of the process in releasing an album. I've commented on this a number of times in this postboard.

But I am just putting it out there OUT OF INTEREST, to ask Jarmo what his thoughts are.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

In my opinion, I don't think the band and/or Axl has any interest in keeping the album from being released.

It's done, why wouldn't they want to release it? Makes no sense to me.

The thing that does make sense to me is that they wouldn't just release it until they know everything is just right, everything is in place for its release. And I'm not talking about the artistic side. The music is done.

It's like training for the Olympics and then finding out that part of the team isn't as prepared as you are.

And if any of you are already thinking of attacking me for "thinking I'm the band's spokesperson", fuck off.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ben9785
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »

In my opinion, I don't think the band and/or Axl has any interest in keeping the album from being released.

It's done, why wouldn't they want to release it? Makes no sense to me.

The thing that does make sense to me is that they wouldn't just release it until they know everything is just right, everything is in place for its release. And I'm not talking about the artistic side. The music is done.

It's like training for the Olympics and then finding out that part of the team isn't as prepared as you are.

And if any of you are already thinking of attacking me for "thinking I'm the band's spokesperson", fuck off.  ok

/jarmo

No Jarmo sorry I wasn't trying to imply you are a spokesperson by the way I asked the question..

I was just interested to know your own thoughts, since I know that you spend so much time addressing other people's comments, I don't know if anyone has given you a chance to say what you think about it lol
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »

That comment wasn't aimed at you.  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ForeverGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »

Music is still art, even though they've tried hard to make it into a product like any other product.

/jarmo

So true!!  Smiley

I just hope we someday will found out what took so damn long to put the record out. Axl should write a book. "Chinese Democracy - The Story". Wouldn't that be awesome Cheesy
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »

^ it would be longer than like the chronicles of narnia...

yeah...

the chronicles of Chinese Democracy...

9 volumes... plenty or reading material.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »

What is the point of a question to which one already knows the answer...?

What if this were'nt a rhetorical question...?

I would'nt do that if I were you.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »

There was an article about the record industry in the Observer a few weeks ago.

/jarmo

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:24 PM »

The record company is in it for the money.  As much money as possible.   I'd speculate that they want to ensure that they see the maximum possible return on Chi Dem possible, and they're probably trying to come up with new ways to ensure that happens.

Sure - it's just a record.  But it has the stigma attached to it and they'll probably be looking at how they can leverage this.   Personally, I don't see Chi Dem changing the music world.  I think it'll go down as just another record.  But if they can get creative on the release and maximize their revenue then they owe it to their shareholders to do that.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 04:33:45 AM »

2008 is a huge year for all things Chinese..... 

The Beijng Olympics are China's way of positioning its self as the new global superpower.  Our politicians in the West are greasing up to them to make money (Gordon Brown I'm talking about you you spineless cretin) while glossing over/ignoring the atrocities and lack of basic human rights that goes on in much of that country while we in the West are happy to buy ther cheap clothes and toys that are made there. 

Perhaps an Album, entitled Chinese Democracy by the band that doesn't give a fuck will land splash right before the Olympics, opening up the debate and bringing with it massive attention - not just onto China but the fact it is by Guns N Roses, and album that has been so long in the making is itself a story.  Time the two events and you have a something of significant interest to people all arund the world and loads of FREE publicity.....

I'm thinking a release date timed in the run up to the Olympics would be the ideal time to drop this CD.... 
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 05:16:06 AM »

The Beijng Olympics are China's way of positioning its self as the new global superpower.  Our politicians in the West are greasing up to them to make money (Gordon Brown I'm talking about you you spineless cretin) while glossing over/ignoring the atrocities and lack of basic human rights that goes on in much of that country while we in the West are happy to buy ther cheap clothes and toys that are made there. 

Perhaps an Album, entitled Chinese Democracy by the band that doesn't give a fuck will land splash right before the Olympics, opening up the debate and bringing with it massive attention - not just onto China but the fact it is by Guns N Roses, and album that has been so long in the making is itself a story.  Time the two events and you have a something of significant interest to people all arund the world and loads of FREE publicity.....

I'm thinking a release date timed in the run up to the Olympics would be the ideal time to drop this CD.... 

Axl is smart, not stupid,
I mean alot of people probably think that he will drop it the 8/8/08 which is the first day of the olympics
but at the same time
wont the olympics be taking up all the promotion/marketing/air time on tv etc
So thus overshadowing gnrs chinese democracy release,

I think it would be absolutely stupid to release it whilst the olympics is on,
mabye before the olympics starts, or when the olympics finishes,

Gnr arent like normal bands, so thinking logically is your down fall, they will do something to their own accord,
and just say that if gnr did release the cd during the olympics,
and it does sell well, its just another opportunity for the critics to say that it only sold well because of the free publicity of the olympics...

I personally think the only reason why chinese democracy isnt out yet
is cause ot 2 reasons.

1st, There isnt a full proof marketing plan ready to be initiated yet;
they are going to want to maximise as much of a return on this product as possible, for obvious reasons,
so their looking at every nook and cranny and any glitch in the marketing of cd and weed it out.

2. Their waiting for a perfect time to release it (similiar to 1)
when there arent any great music/bands on the airways for gnr to compete with, they
are most likely want to have the airwaves clean of any rivals that might overshadow any gnr singles/release/videos etc.
I mean , if you look at timberland and various other pop shit artists, their all big in the world at the moment,
but its just a phase, it will pass.. People will get sick of this kind of music and then move on , or hope for a nice change,
something to break up or the boring mediocre pop shit. thats where gnr comes in..

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 05:37:45 AM »

If they had focused more on the art instead of the business, maybe people would still be buying music..... But instead we're told to buy the current Idol winner's album or whoever else is the current flavor of the month until the next product comes along.

/jarmo

Very very profound Mr L.  ok

All I see are little MTV babies, playing their little MTV game - Blood for Blood - Aint Like you.

cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 06:45:59 AM »

There was an article about the record industry in the Observer a few weeks ago.

/jarmo

Thanks for posting this, jarmo, it was a very interesting read from someone who clearly knows his stuff.  I loved the part about the Yardbirds singer refusing to go on stage because he hadn't got a clean pair of socks.  Grin

His comment (below) about respecting and valuing the artist is something I wholeheartedly agree with, but apart from maybe a few individuals working within a company, I can't see this principle ever being adopted by those at the top who're only out to line their pockets.

"The artist, rather than the record, should be the product. Artists should be developed for longevity, not for quick profit."

I like your thinking, Yossarian, and according to those HSBC adverts that keep appearing on my telly, the Chinese believe that the number 8 is supposed to be lucky and bring prosperity.  Oh and by the way, I'm right with you about Gordon too.  ok

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »

To be fair, most record companies are not in the business of art, their in the business or business. Artists are in the business of art. I know that is obvious but sometimes I get the impression people on this forum think the record companies should have some sort of moral dilemma about earning the most they can. In my opinion anything else would be irresponsible, that?s their job.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:26 AM »

To be fair, most record companies are not in the business of art, their in the business or business. Artists are in the business of art. I know that is obvious but sometimes I get the impression people on this forum think the record companies should have some sort of moral dilemma about earning the most they can. In my opinion anything else would be irresponsible, that?s their job.

true, music is an art form
but in todays world where the internet exists, and therefore illegal downloads exist,
music is now a business, well at least trying to be one,

If it wasnt for business , music wouldn't exist,
how would the band get paid?
why would a band make music? out of boredom,
answer is no, they would make it to get popular and to get paid...
at the end of the day, all the gnr contracts between ex band members, recent and perhaps mabye future band members/ gnr employees
are all in the band/have worked for the band THUS creating music/art
because of a legal document, which states what business entitlements they are given...

one thing always leads to another, its good to think outside the square

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »

Do you not think it'd be preferable (and more profitable in the longer term) for art and business to work in a mutually beneficial way instead of one that often sees the artist's talent exploited for short-term profit?  I'm not saying that it's likely to happen because today's society is so fixated on instant gratification and disposability, but there are some areas of the retail industry that have shown that it's possible to make a profit whilst trading in a fairer way, so it wouldn't be beyond the record companies capabilities if they were of a mind to.

I'm afraid that I have little sympathy for those high level record company execs who have seen their bonuses disappear; I feel that they're reaping what they've sown...

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: