Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228121 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  record company and CD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: record company and CD  (Read 17219 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 11:17:17 PM »

I was sooooooooooooooooooo freakin excited when I heard this on the Loop in Chicago yesterday. They usually don't say stuff that is not true because they have been sued in the past and all the DJ's joke about watching what they say. Anyway, this DJ that was on while I was driving home from work, said that the producer of "Appetite for Destruction", they said his name but I can't remember, told everyone that the record is in the can - both sides are fine with it - the hold up is the negotiation of how the monies will be distributed - Axl is in negotiation with Geffen over where any money earned will go.

So, this could take awhile because I know Axl probably won't back down. But, the producer wanted to make a comment because of all the negative media surrounding this disc, how long it's taken, does it exist, will we ever hear it. So, basically he is confirming everything is done but money negotiations. He said the guys really want this out in 2008 but if it takes longer to negotiate a fair deal, then that's what they will do.

I believe this based on all the rumors and speculations about concerts. I think the band is gearing up because they might have something worked out over the next couple months. I believe we will see CD in 2008!

If that's true then its very good news. It definitely makes sense. Thanks for posting that.
That all sounds very legit, but I'm very skeptical about DJ's.  They've proven to know very little over the years.  Of course, one of these times someone's gonna get it right.  Maybe this is it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 12:20:25 AM »

you mean he couldn't go 'You know what, this part might not right any more being held up for some time. lets redo it Cheesy ' if he made a statement like that?

If it gets held up long enough to become outdated again then it's all over.

Some people just don't think before they type or they just like to type too much. I don't know. But I highly fucking doubt it's going to get outdated. Did AFD get outdated? Fuck no. Did the Illusions? Fuck no. What about the songs they covered off TSI. All in unison: FUUUCK NO.
So why the hell would someone think this is going to get outdated between now and when it gets released?

I didn't think it was going to get out-dated . . .  Huh  Roll Eyes  But I don't think it's going to just sit around much longer either.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2008, 06:39:04 PM »

you mean he couldn't go 'You know what, this part might not right any more being held up for some time. lets redo it Cheesy ' if he made a statement like that?

Some people just don't think before they type or they just like to type too much. I don't know. But I highly fucking doubt it's going to get outdated. Did AFD get outdated? Fuck no. Did the Illusions? Fuck no. What about the songs they covered off TSI. All in unison: FUUUCK NO.
So why the hell would someone think this is going to get outdated between now and when it gets released?

Dude in all fairness, a mid 80s production as is sounds 20yrs old now and there's nothing wrong with that.

The first several Zep albums are amazing although sounding as dated as other 70s classic albums.
Those became antique.

Music itself may be timeless but the recorded sounds can't escape the times. and often the lyrics either.
They reflect the spirits of the age.

It's sorta like in old fashion magazines the models are pretty but the style is dated no matter how classy it is.
The fashion won't be exactly the same even when the look is in again.

In axl's own words.

"there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that."
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 03:52:29 AM »

Dude in all fairness, a mid 80s production as is sounds 20yrs old now and there's nothing wrong with that.

The first several Zep albums are amazing although sounding as dated as other 70s classic albums.
Those became antique.

Music itself may be timeless but the recorded sounds can't escape the times. and often the lyrics either.
They reflect the spirits of the age.

It's sorta like in old fashion magazines the models are pretty but the style is dated no matter how classy it is.
The fashion won't be exactly the same even when the look is in again.

In axl's own words.

"there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that."

It'll all sound real fresh in July - that's my call, July!   ok
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »

I wouldn't worry about anything sounded dated.  The new songs are better than any new songs that are out today.

ben9785
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »

I wouldn't worry about anything sounded dated.  The new songs are better than any new songs that are out today.

yes sir/ma'am

***personal opinion only following***
the recordings of the new music is all that I can bring myself to listen to lately that really interests me.
Sure, some might say that the quality of the new songs doesn't stand up compared to the 'classic' GNR songs.
But most of the new music coming out today is the same.
It's either retro garage rock, emo screamo, Zeppelin rip-offs, weird electronic-punk hybrid stuff or radiohead/muse-esque art rock.
Now if anybody is a fan of the new music out there today, this is not a criticism at all, this is just an observation that most of the bands coming out sound similar.
What we've heard so far from Axl is something that is missing from music today.
Real classic rock music that doesn't sound deliberately 'retro' or outdated, as a 'style'
And of course, great lyrics.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:30:09 PM by ben785 » Logged
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »

It's all a conspiracy. There is no album. Axl's been funneling the record company's money to orphans in Brazil.

But on the upside, the orphans are being taken care of! ok

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »

Erm...Mike? Clink?

MIKE CLINK?!?!?!

How the hell would he know?

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:13 AM »

Erm...Mike? Clink?

MIKE CLINK?!?!?!

How the hell would he know?

He probably reads the forum at HTGTH.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »

im sure alot of people read the forums too.

the one an only horsey !
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2008, 01:25:28 AM »

Sorry to bump this up, but has ANYONE seen the proposed letter from Interscope Records?
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2008, 04:51:38 AM »

Sorry to bump this up, but has ANYONE seen the proposed letter from Interscope Records?

It was posted here, but i think it was removed. I'm not sure why tho... Never got to know if it was real or not or if it was inteded as an open letter.

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2008, 04:53:52 AM »

Fake.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »

Oh, that thing was brutal... it was like when someone tries to either quote the bible and makes up the parts they can't remember, or when someone just tries to sound "bible-y"... throw in some "thou", "thy", "knoweth", some filler words... expand some abbreviations in a poor attempt to sound "official-er."

I think I did something like that to pad a book report to the required minimum... when I was 10.

I kept reading it, hoping it would at least turn out to be slightly funny... not even close.
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »

I was sooooooooooooooooooo freakin excited when I heard this on the Loop in Chicago yesterday. They usually don't say stuff that is not true because they have been sued in the past and all the DJ's joke about watching what they say. Anyway, this DJ that was on while I was driving home from work, said that the producer of "Appetite for Destruction", they said his name but I can't remember, told everyone that the record is in the can - both sides are fine with it - the hold up is the negotiation of how the monies will be distributed - Axl is in negotiation with Geffen over where any money earned will go.

So, this could take awhile because I know Axl probably won't back down. But, the producer wanted to make a comment because of all the negative media surrounding this disc, how long it's taken, does it exist, will we ever hear it. So, basically he is confirming everything is done but money negotiations. He said the guys really want this out in 2008 but if it takes longer to negotiate a fair deal, then that's what they will do.

I believe this based on all the rumors and speculations about concerts. I think the band is gearing up because they might have something worked out over the next couple months. I believe we will see CD in 2008!

FFS. So music maybe art, but musicans are not artists? It is a little annoying to think that greed is holding the CD up after all this time. Sorry to sound so negative, but I would question where the bands priorities lie. Making music or squeezing as much money out as they possibly can?
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »

Sorry to sound so negative, but I would question where the bands priorities lie. Making music or squeezing as much money out as they possibly can?

I think it is obvious... if it wasn't about music. we would have had EPs, a re-recorded AFD, Axl line of shoes and shirts, etc...

I wouldn't fault the band for knowing that the record company IS FOR DAMN SURE interested in squeezing as much money out of them as possible, and demanding their fair share.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2008, 04:12:49 AM »

I'm not being negative and 'a watched kettle never boils', but this is getting ridiculous. And I mean that for the band.

Sure there's the business side for the record company, but I feel badly for Axl (and the other members), for stuff always going wrong and being a huge struggle. He's worked really hard on what I think will be a wonderful piece of art and self-expression only to be cock-blocked by legalities. I know what that's like and its a continuous frustration. Never can shake it until it's completed or resolved. 

Maybe Axl doesn't feel that way or doesn't care, but hey I'm identifying with the music already. I just hope that things can be resolved and go swimmingly for once so that Axl can reap as much of an award as the immense effort that he put into the album/tours and the band members can be known by all for the tremendous talents that they are, and that Guns N' Roses can set the paradigm that they did 20 years ago.

So in short,  take care of what needs to be taken care of to help the band achieve that.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:17:55 AM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2008, 04:48:55 AM »

Sorry to sound so negative, but I would question where the bands priorities lie. Making music or squeezing as much money out as they possibly can?

I think it is obvious... if it wasn't about music. we would have had EPs, a re-recorded AFD, Axl line of shoes and shirts, etc...

I wouldn't fault the band for knowing that the record company IS FOR DAMN SURE interested in squeezing as much money out of them as possible, and demanding their fair share.

I thought the band already had a contract with a label. To attempt to renegotiate when they already have a deal, is bad enough, but to do so when the album has taken so long, is as I said greed. There is no other word for it. It isn't like there was no deal already in place. I guess they have just decided they want a better one than the one they previously agreed to.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2008, 05:04:25 AM »

I thought the band already had a contract with a label. To attempt to renegotiate when they already have a deal, is bad enough, but to do so when the album has taken so long, is as I said greed. There is no other word for it. It isn't like there was no deal already in place. I guess they have just decided they want a better one than the one they previously agreed to.

Always good to see another expert of record companies.

Have you considered that perhaps, for instance, when they first started making the record that things like digital downloads weren't accounted for?
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2008, 05:18:41 AM »

Always good to see another expert of record companies.

Have you considered that perhaps, for instance, when they first started making the record that things like digital downloads weren't accounted for?

Yes I have. Why do *you* think digital downloads make any difference?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: