Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  record company and CD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: record company and CD  (Read 17226 times)
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »

i don't know if this question has been answered yet so i'll go ahead:

we know CD according to the band is finished.

is there a slight chance the record company won't feel satisfied with it and may order changes to be made?

i dont imply this is what i think is happening,i just want to know whether it is only

axl and the band who decide that the record is done and good enough to hit the stores.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:49:05 AM by greekmule » Logged

homo homini lupus...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »

If something had to be fixed, I assume it would've been taken care of months ago.

So I don't think there's an issue with the artistic side of the album.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

The only remaining question is: why is the record company blocking the release? Any thoughts? Or is this already discussed?  peace

Anyhow; I still think Chinese Democracy is a stupid name for the 'CD'....  Tongue

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
cantrell
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »

Maybe, they have not reached an agreement yet  about the album  promotion  ,  maybe   they are blocking the release just to make Axl pay for all the continuous  delays and  for breaking   all the deadlines  established by the record company to  deliver the finished album . 

Maybe the records company wants  to recover  some of the money  invested  in the album  cause they know that  with the actual state of the music industry  they  never going to recover  it ,    maybe  they want to make him pay for trying to block the release of the greatest hits .

Maybe Axl is still doing the final arrangements ,  maybe someone is re recording  Brain's tracks  , maybe the album doesn?t exist and never existed ? really  I don?t know  but Axl has fucked so  many people in the business during this years  that  I don?t think anybody in his record company is willing to help and trying to make his comeback easy
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »

lots and lots of money has been invested in cd (so all the rumours of gnr being dropped by geffen are bs at this point). everybody involved wants it to sell as good as possible. figuring out the right strategies for promotion and release is one thing. geffen/universal can't risk cd to flop. neither can axl (if he wants more records released by the revamped gnr). the music business is in a general crisis. so is rock music. recruiting money, getting an overwhelming publicity for a product that might not sell (in times like these) is possibly hard. that's the other side. 

additional to that, axl seems to be thinking about what comes after cd as well. if it's supposed to be a trilogy the current negotiations might not all be about cd. my guess is that the choice of the first single could also be something they discuss intensely. so all in all there's much at stake for everybody. that's why it might take a little longer than we'd expected.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:53:29 PM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »

digital rights.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »

In other words, the record company is pulling off the same shananigans that Axl was pulling off between 1994 and 2006 when the record company was dying to pull off a release. If this is really an eye for an eye, we won't see a new GNR music release until 2020 (12 years).

Axl may unfortunately be getting a bitter taste of his own medicine.
We as fans are the losers as well.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »

lots and lots of money has been invested in cd (so all the rumours of gnr being dropped by geffen are bs at this point). everybody involved wants it to sell as good as possible. figuring out the right strategies for promotion and release is one thing. geffen/universal can't risk cd to flop.

That's probably the main reason why it's not out yet, if it's up to the record company now. And it's a good thing IMO. Don't you guys want it to sell as good as possible? That would help Axl release more records after CD. Make it a trilogy if he wants to. But if they release it now without a good plan, it may not sell enough to make that possible!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »

Axl's making them money every day without them having to do anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people at the record company weren't even there last time they had to put out a new GN'R album. So it's not like they worked for the money GN'R is still bringing them. Wink

It's pretty simple. How do record companies make money? They put out records.

If they stop putting out records, let's see how much money they're making.  Tongue

If they have issues with artists working on their own schedule, they're in the wrong business. Music is still art, even though they've tried hard to make it into a product like any other product.

If they had focused more on the art instead of the business, maybe people would still be buying music..... But instead we're told to buy the current Idol winner's album or whoever else is the current flavor of the month until the next product comes along.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 01:10:12 PM »

I certainly don't have an understanding what's going on behind the scenes, but it seems pretty black and white to me.

Release the album. Make money. The hype and mystery surrounding the album will certainly make it sell moderately well, let alone a solid marketing plan and those don't take 12 months to plan.

I'm sure there is a good reason and all I've got is precious time, but it's seems that my puzzler has puzzled until my puzzler was sore.
 Huh

Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

I can see where you're coming from, but it seems like many people think of the record company as an enemy. IMO; they're not, and I'm sure they at least want to milk CD for all it's worth. And that means they should put as much money in promoting the album as possible...

But who knows. Maybe they will invest in the next Idols winner instead.  Wink

peace
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »

It's pretty simple. How do record companies make money? They put out records.

If they stop putting out records, let's see how much money they're making.  Tongue

If they have issues with artists working on their own schedule, they're in the wrong business. Music is still art, even though they've tried hard to make it into a product like any other product.

If they had focused more on the art instead of the business, maybe people would still be buying music..... But instead we're told to buy the current Idol winner's album or whoever else is the current flavor of the month until the next product comes along.

/jarmo

Indeed. Music business didn't go down only because Internet & downloading came along. Shitty records and "hit singles" were bigger problem. People could download that one good song from otherwise poor record, so ta-dah, record-sales went down, big time.

If Axl can pull this gig to an satisfying end, he sure has kicked industrys balls. Fucking stubborn rebel  Wink
xj220
Headliner

TWAT=goodness

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 02:57:30 PM »

I'd say marketing would be a big issue.  There's a lot of options and planning it just the right way isn't going to be easy.  Do you do tv ads, posters, life size cardboard band cutouts?  There's a lot of details that need to be covered and then there's the artwork associated with such, the printing, the pressing, the shipping, etc.  I don't know how long it takes, but it certainly isn't overnight.  Probably once they get all those details hammered out, then they'll get the ball rolling of notifying stores and begin the (I hope) media blitz.

"Face it, if crime did not pay there would be very few criminals." -Laughton Lewis Burdock
gav
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »

or maybe the label really has dropped gnr...
rockNroses
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »

Neither the artist nor the record company make that much money with releasing CD's anymore.

If the band is smart, they hook up with a good (concert) promoter and sell their album on their own label, using the infra structure of a record company for sole distribution and their concerts to make the quick money.

The whole internet / digital right thing is a little overrated I think. In a time where music became a product and the audience is satisfied with a virtual download rather than having a physical CD, the future of the music industry is not downloading or selling CD's, it is live concerts and live concerts only.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »

or maybe the label really has dropped gnr...

http://www.geffen.com/artist/default.aspx/aid/149

http://new.umusic.com/Artists.aspx?Index=2

/jarmo

The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »

we haven't beaten this dead horse before...

Roll Eyes

btw... what are we gonna do to celebrate Jarmo's 20,000th Post???  peace
rockNroses
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »

Ban him.

For a day.

Wink
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »

I think they are waiting for a summer release to be honest with you guys.  Rock albums do better in the summer time so I think that's what the label is doing.

Question of the day:   Remember the Glam metal scene and Guns N' Roses came in and killed it.  Now you look at today's music Emo Panic of the Disco, My Chemical Romance , Simple Plan ect  Do you think GnR could do the same thing once they release Chinese Democracy ? restore Rock n Roll.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

Ban him.

For a day.

Wink

This forum would go to absolute shit within minutes of him leaving... 19,000 of his 20,000 post are shutting up VR and Slash deciples.  hihi

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: