Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:19:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Starscream and Axl Rose
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starscream and Axl Rose  (Read 2985 times)
Axls Beard
« on: February 04, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »

Kids (and not-so-young kids) have the most original ideas and wildest imaginations. I, for one, am one of them; and being a Transformers aficionado, I have also cooked up some of the most unbelievable ideas with our favourite robots in disguise. One of them is the idea (a belief, perhaps?) revolving around Starscream and Axl Rose. And since we are currently featuring our favourite treacherous Decepticon as Cybertron Philippines Transformer of the Month - as well as the revitalized news surrounding Guns N' Roses' long-awaited album in years, Chinese Democracy believed to be due in early March - I guess now's a best time as any to explore this idea I've had for quite some time now.

1985 was the year I was exposed to the Transformers. Like any 80's kid, I got myself acquainted with memorable characters like Sideswipe (my personal fave), Optimus Prime, Megatron, and, of course, Starscream. We went along for the long ride from Season One to the animated movie to the final years of Generation One; and even during the last gasps of the Generation Two years. Unfortunately, all great things come to an end (but eventually comes back for nostalgia) and I went on from being a kid to a teenager.

I came of age in the early 90's, and it was in 1992 when I was first heard of heavy, guitar-based rock and metal bands like Nirvana, Metallica and, of course, Guns N' Roses. Like any high school kid back then, I embraced the raw, energetic sound the Gunners delivered - the great guitar parts, the attitude, and yes, the profanity - the rock (pronounced: RRHAHKK!) sound that Axl Rose and company put forth into their songs. And it was during this dark and confusing time in my life that some bits of my old romance with the Transformers was rekindled - thanks to Axl's voice.

It was instantaneous: the moment I heard Axl Rose's shrill, rasping and grating voice in the cassette player (yes, I still used cassette players back then), Starscream's trademark voice came back to my mind. I used to joke with classmates and bandmates that Axl Rose was Starscream - and managed to convince a few of them, too. Never in both the histories of the Transformers franchise and of the rock world did the voices of Starscream and Axl Rose were duplicated by anyone else. Both voices were purely original productions of human (and Cybertronian?) vocal chords. Often imitated, but never duplicated.

Now before all of you go on your ways and claim my eccentricity, think about it. Really. And I have some solid evidence for it. Listen to Starscream's menacing laughter in the Generation One episode "Starscream's Ghost" (season 3), then expose your eardrums to the Guns N' Roses song, "Get In The Ring," and wait for the part where Axl is laughing maniacally. See, err, I mean, heard that? Notice the similarity? I knew you would.

For a little backgrounder on the personalities behind the voices, Generation One Starscream was voiced by Chris Latta. Along with Starscream, he is also best known for voicing Cobra Commander in the G.I. Joe animated series - both of whom carried the trademark shrill and raspy sound which made the characters always seem duplicitous and conniving regardless of what they were saying, as well as adding an element of comic relief. He also provided the voice for the Autobot mad scientist Wheeljack and the Autobot's human ally Sparkplug. Chris also played a number of roles for television and films, as well as being a successful stand-up comedian. Unfortunately, Chris Latta died from a cerebral hemorrhage in 1994.
(A little bit for us Filipinos: we often refer to Starscream's raspy voice as "tunog lata" to the point of creating a minor annoyance to our eardreams. It really is coincidental that the actor behind Starscream's voice is named "Latta.")

Axl Rose, on the other hand, is the lead singer for Guns N' Roses. The only remaining original member of the band, Rose still places high in numerous polls as one of hard rock's all-time greatest frontmen and is also infamous for his onstage antics and disputes with former bandmates. Rose lived - and still lives - a very troublesome life. He has been involved with a great number of violent incidents since childhood, and fame only pushed the Gunner to the edge. In spite of all the negative media, Rose is still remembered for his voice talents in Guns N' Roses. Oh, and Axl Rose is still very much alive and actually promised to come out with the new GN'R album this year.

With the new Transformers live-action movie coming to theaters 2010, here's one Transfan rooting for Axl Rose to be Starscream. Even for just five minutes. Who knows? He might appear in the sequel, yes?
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:46:07 AM »

Weird...very weird.  We need news.
Axls Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »

you must be an autobot attempting to foil my plans
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:47:06 AM »

Wow.

That's all.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:09:16 AM »

Axl has a voice MADE for voice overs. I said this years ago.  ok

Nothing to say
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:43:24 AM »

Wow - that was one hell of an interesting read.  I want some of what you are smoking man!

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:59:22 AM »

That picture of Axl is wierd...if you really look at it, it'll blow your mind...I think whoever drew it aged him forty years in the process.  it's like Steven Tyler with an Axl Rose wig. hihi

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »

totally agreed there !

the one an only horsey !
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »

This seems relevant now:

crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »

The kid is just wishing Axl would play a character in the new transformers movie. It could happen. I guess he is mixing his two passions together.

Puking doesn't make me horny.
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »

This seems relevant now:

Hot damn Megatron is one sexy bastard.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: