Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:21:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  HMV have been told "no release date for this year"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: HMV have been told "no release date for this year"  (Read 11681 times)
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 08:57:07 AM »

Well, hasn't HMV always been honest when asked where they get their info? From every "release date" I remember them posting they've always responded to fan e-mail that they got the <insert release date here> from rumors on message boards. Don't know why they'd start lying now.

I think its more of a case of HMV has offered the pre-order for CD for a few years now - and they must have some internal procedure in place that if any item is still unavailable to the consumer after a certain amount of time from it being at the pre-order status on their website (say 18 months for example) - perhaps its their policy to cancel all pre-orders until they get further word that its ready.  Just my thoughts. I wont put any sway or faith in HMV knowing before we do.
W. Adam S
Rocker

...Gone to the toilet

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 04:42:04 AM »

I just got a new email from HMV cancelling the order...

We?re writing to you about your order (number 11575171). We?re really sorry that we weren't in touch sooner, but we have been working hard trying to get hold of this product for you:

Order no: 11575171

Qty Format Artist Title Price
1 CD GUNS & ROSES CHINESE DEMOCRACY ?8.99

Unfortunately, the suppliers were unable to provide the item, and though we?d prefer not to have to cancel this from your order, we don?t want to keep you waiting for it.

Your payment card has not been charged for this item, as we only charge for goods when they're shipped.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Regards,

Online Customer Service Team

Now, HMV is one of the largest retailers out there, surely if CD was just around the corner the record company would keep them sweet and tell them to hang on a while longer. Unless it has had a name change  Shocked
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:44:07 AM by W. Adam S » Logged

'For Ricky to be any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys.
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 05:08:52 AM »

Now, HMV is one of the largest retailers out there, surely if CD was just around the corner the record company would keep them sweet and tell them to hang on a while longer. Unless it has had a name change  Shocked

What makes you think they'd know about it even if it was "just around the corner"?!  Shocked

By that logic the reason they're cancelling it now could also be that they're gonna have to change the price tag...
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 05:28:35 AM »

What makes you think they'd know about it even if it was "just around the corner"?!  Shocked

By that logic the reason they're cancelling it now could also be that they're gonna have to change the price tag...

Exactly,

hmv know the same about cd as we do,

Dont never presume to assume , only assume nothing,
thats my advice,

Dont jump to any conclusions or use your logic about chinese democracy its a complete waste of time,
the past history shows us this,

just sit back and wait for it to pour when the heavens open up,
and dont try to be the weather forecaster between now and then

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:31:08 AM by gunns1 » Logged

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »

It's no biggie.  You're reading too much into it.
IT'S STILL LISTED ON THE HMV SITE AS GUNS N' ROSES CHINESE DEMOCRACY.

Like I said before, these are just legal notices.  HMV is just covering their ass.

IT'S JUST A LEGAL NOTICE.  The "this year" they're referring to is LAST YEAR (2007).  When you order something, the company you order it from is obligated to notify you periodically (like every 3, 6 or 12 months) of the status of your order.

Edited to add:  The reason for the notice is to give the customer the opportunity to cancel the order.  After so much time passes, sometimes people forget they even ordered something, so these notices are sorta a reminder.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
W. Adam S
Rocker

...Gone to the toilet

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »

I am saying HMV know nothing about CD, but if it was coming some time soon the record company, who do like to liase with retailers, would surely have rather kept all the pre-orders HMV had. So to me its sounds like it is still a long way off.

'For Ricky to be any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys.
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 11:22:35 AM »

Or it means what it says - Album has no date for this year

Id bet my right nut that its out this year.

i believe... this time i really do.
[/quote]

i hope you're right. otherwise you'll be Disco Stu "The One Nut Wonder"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »

eunuch.  They say ancient  china had many of them at Court.  yes
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »

I just got a new email from HMV cancelling the order...

We?re writing to you about your order (number 11575171). We?re really sorry that we weren't in touch sooner, but we have been working hard trying to get hold of this product for you:

Order no: 11575171

Qty Format Artist Title Price
1 CD GUNS & ROSES CHINESE DEMOCRACY ?8.99

Unfortunately, the suppliers were unable to provide the item, and though we?d prefer not to have to cancel this from your order, we don?t want to keep you waiting for it.

Your payment card has not been charged for this item, as we only charge for goods when they're shipped.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Regards,

Online Customer Service Team

This is more likely to be linked to Polydor UK

HMV are fishing for sales/presales. They can obviously only do it for so long.

As we all know, we will all find out about the release date for CD at the same time, and that includes HMV
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2008, 11:33:38 AM »

Id bet my right nut that its out this year.

he probably bet his left nut last year.  hihi

hihi

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »

Assuming the record company actually had told HMV that.

How would they know of anything happening in the second half of the year?

I can see them having an idea of the next few months. That's understandable, but to make a claim about the whole year seems unlikely.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lakersaregreat
Ever get the feeling you've seen me here before?
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

I can see them having an idea of the next few months. That's understandable, but to make a claim about the whole year seems unlikely.

/jarmo

most record companies know release dates a year away.....that's how it works here in america....and knowing a release date a year away is needed. it takes several months to set up the actual release of an album. i have several friends that work for major labels and i just confirmed that with one of them.

Drink n' drive white lightning, faster baby...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »

most record companies know release dates a year away.....that's how it works here in america....and knowing a release date a year away is needed. it takes several months to set up the actual release of an album. i have several friends that work for major labels and i just confirmed that with one of them.

In this case, they don't even have the album in their hands and you think they already have "no release date in 2008" plans for it?

I know it takes months to get an album out. But it's only February and GN'R's album is done.

I know artists often have deadlines when the album needs to be finished in order to get it out by a certain date. Sometimes the end result suffers. So yeah, it's possible they have release dates a year ahead.

Once again, I don't think that applies in GN'R's case which is what I was talking about.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lakersaregreat
Ever get the feeling you've seen me here before?
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »

In this case, they don't even have the album in their hands and you think they already have "no release date in 2008" plans for it?

I know it takes months to get an album out. But it's only February and GN'R's album is done.

I know artists often have deadlines when the album needs to be finished in order to get it out by a certain date. Sometimes the end result suffers. So yeah, it's possible they have release dates a year ahead.

Once again, I don't think that applies in GN'R's case which is what I was talking about.

/jarmo

i was speaking generally as far as release dates are concerned. i have no idea about the status of the release of the gnr cd. as you stated, geffen does not even have it yet, so how could they even be thinking about a release date.

Drink n' drive white lightning, faster baby...
burnz007
Rocker

Kick'n back in the shadows...

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »

I wouldn't say a year "is needed"... and certainly not in the case of GNR... an album that is anticipated as much as ChiDem is and by band of GNR's caliber certainly could have their release put on fast track.

As for MegaGuns, I think he's member the band... no one would bet nuts unless they were absolutely sure they wouldn't lose ! Wink Wink
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

/jarmo

You are speaking out of your backside.

All bands/labels work differently, and there is no America-specific practice.
ben9785
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2008, 05:53:28 AM »

As I've commented on in the past, I strongly doubt this album is going to be released in a conventional manner - in a way that is expected based on other bands/labels/arrangements.

The album is finished. The last we heard is that they are "in negotations".

Who honestly knows whats going to happen?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:57:11 AM by ben785 » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »

Sorry, that's poppycock.

I have a friend who, for about 10 years, worked in marketing on the retail side of the industry. Release dates were lifesblood for her. That's just not true.

Labels will slot in, in a preliminary manner, some of the blockbuster releases throughout the year.  For example, if they know Madonna, or Christina, or whatever is working on an album, they'll set up a preliminary date on their calender.   And then spend the next 3, 4, 6 months changing it, based on it's status in production.

Likewise, they'll pressure the "minor" acts into sticking to THE LABELS time schedule to get material out.

They do NOT, however, know...or even schedule, the mid level to major releases until the material is in hand.  You can debate how "big" the release of CD is, but given the albums history, I don't think you can debate what the labels most likely tactic would be in relation to it.

In other words, it varies widely by label, band, situation, etc.

I'm not sure who your friends are at major labels, but either they're not telling you the WHOLE story, or they're lying to you, outright.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:45:33 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: