Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:31:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Sad state of the music biz
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sad state of the music biz  (Read 3447 times)
axl in lafayette
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: January 18, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »

Record Biz: Top 10 CDs This Week Less Than 450,000

Is the music business dead? I?ll say so. If you want to know why the Writers Guild of America (not to mention the DGA and SAG) must hold for proper payment of Internet rights, just take a look at this week?s CD chart. The top 10 sold fewer than a total of 450,000 copies. The record company people let the Internet destroy them. This is the result.

Ironically, the No. 1 album is the soundtrack to the hit film "Juno," on Rhino Records. Rhino is a division of the former Warner Music Group, now known as Warner Mess Group. WMG stock is hovering around $5, a miserable failure. "Juno" sold about 72,000 copies last week, which in the heyday of the business would put it around No. 15. But times have changed.
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »

Not that I would ever argue that the music business isn't hurting, it should be noted that January is generally a pretty slow month for all forms of entertainment.  Rarely, if ever, are big releases, like a Chinese Democracy, ever released in January.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
makane
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »

Is the music business dead? I’ll say so. If you want to know why the Writers Guild of America (not to mention the DGA and SAG) must hold for proper payment of Internet rights, just take a look at this week’s CD chart. The top 10 sold fewer than a total of 450,000 copies. The record company people let the Internet destroy them. This is the result.

Ironically, the No. 1 album is the soundtrack to the hit film "Juno," on Rhino Records. Rhino is a division of the former Warner Music Group, now known as Warner Mess Group. WMG stock is hovering around $5, a miserable failure. "Juno" sold about 72,000 copies last week, which in the heyday of the business would put it around No. 15. But times have changed.

Please explain why this is a bad thing. It doesn't mean less music is exchanged, which (i believe) is the main thing.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »

Is the music business dead? I?ll say so. If you want to know why the Writers Guild of America (not to mention the DGA and SAG) must hold for proper payment of Internet rights, just take a look at this week?s CD chart. The top 10 sold fewer than a total of 450,000 copies. The record company people let the Internet destroy them. This is the result.

Please explain why this is a bad thing. It doesn't mean less music is exchanged, which (i believe) is the main thing.

It shows that people aren't willing to spend money on the product which says alot....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »

hey if theres a quality rock album out ill always buy it. But frankly theres barely any good mainstream music about.

html sucks
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »

hey if theres a quality rock album out ill always buy it. But frankly theres barely any good mainstream music about.

beer There is not many bands I'd be willing to dish out cash for , which in itself is sad....
makane
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »

Is the music business dead? I’ll say so. If you want to know why the Writers Guild of America (not to mention the DGA and SAG) must hold for proper payment of Internet rights, just take a look at this week’s CD chart. The top 10 sold fewer than a total of 450,000 copies. The record company people let the Internet destroy them. This is the result.

It shows that people aren't willing to spend money on the product which says alot....
Spending 15-25€ for one album is ridiculous.
And the artists share of that is even more pathetic. I'd rather support by buying a shirt or concert ticket, which they actually do get money from.

I really hope digital release catches on (I dont mean physical releases should be scrapped completely). Radiohead had a good run with it, but it still needs final touches to work, but it's definitely going for the better.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »

Buckcherry's "15" went platinum today  beer

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »

i heard about that...i was really happy about that..i was one of the few who never deserted them....i even own Josh Todd's solo album!!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »

what are you talking about?? with great bands like Nickelback on Daughtry....i think the music industry is in great shape.... rofl
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 01:13:47 AM »

i heard about that...i was really happy about that..i was one of the few who never deserted them....i even own Josh Todd's solo album!!

Todd's solo album is pretty good - Lovely bones is my favorite track.  amazing song.  Shine rocks too.  A lot of filler though.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

Spending 15-25? for one album is ridiculous.
And the artists share of that is even more pathetic.

I agree that paying that much for an album is a bit too much considering how much the artists makes of it.

With that in mind....

I'd rather support by buying a shirt or concert ticket, which they actually do get money from.

Some artists only tour where they can see their record selling.

Where they figure they have a fan base.....

So if nobody buys the album in Finland, it might seem like nobody in Finland cares about the artist in question.

I really hope digital release catches on (I dont mean physical releases should be scrapped completely). Radiohead had a good run with it, but it still needs final touches to work, but it's definitely going for the better.

I'm surprised record companies in Europe hasn't done what they did in the US. Lower the prices on CDs.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

I honestly think that the "venue" for good hard rock bands is always there , the fans exist , its the band(s) that can never deliver with good product. Buckcherry is an awesome band  beer , I really dig Silvertide too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: