Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:22:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Finish CD?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Finish CD?  (Read 91947 times)
madagas
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »

In the end, even if the Chinese Democracy recording sessions don't recoup for the label, the Gnr recording agreement was an EXTREMELY profitable one. Sometimes you take the good with the bad. However, all in all, Geffen and now Uni has made quite a killing off the Gnr brand and Axl Rose.

ps Mysteron, like to comment on that "albums" thing? hihi rofl
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:32:19 PM by madagas » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »

^ Isn't it common knowledge that there are several albums on the way from GNR?  The press loves to have a field day touting CD as a $12, $13, sometimes $15 million album...it's totally misleading.  Take whatever number is out there and divide it by 3 or 4 and there you have your cost/album.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #262 on: January 28, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »

I agree, but Motley Crue ran into this problem in the late 90's while on the Generation Swine tour-about how much money they made for Electra (I may have spelled that wrong), and yet they were having all kinds of problems with the label-Guns made them tons of money, but greedy execs have short memories

libertad
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #263 on: January 28, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

greedy execs have short memories

Here's a reminder:

Top Pop Catalog
#1 This Week

Guns N' Roses
Greatest Hits
Geffen   

Peak 1
Wks On 200

Chart Issue Date: 2008-02-02

GH is selling more copies than  Eagles' "The Very Best Of",  Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers' "Greatest Hits" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon"

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
madagas
« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »

Draven,of course, but the Gnr recording agreement was not a one album deal (and Motley Crue didn't sell near as many records worldwide as Gnr did). Record labels are greedy bastards who have wrecked rock and roll and their own industry. In the end, the biggest question is "did the artist recoup the costs over the life of the recording agreement/contract?" Whatever happens with the Chinese Democracy recording sessions will only minimally affect Geffen's profit margins over the life of the agreement. They made a fucking killing off Gnr. That is reality.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:33:45 PM by madagas » Logged
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »

greedy execs have short memories

Here's a reminder:

Top Pop Catalog
#1 This Week

Guns N' Roses
Greatest Hits
Geffen   

Peak 1
Wks On 200

Chart Issue Date: 2008-02-02

GH is selling more copies than  Eagles' "The Very Best Of",  Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers' "Greatest Hits" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon"

/jarmo

Axl did not support putting out a greatest hits album-my point exactly about execs looking for his best interests and wantingt to make whatever money possible, not matter if it is a product the band does not endorse

libertad
madagas
« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »

Axl didn't support it and neither did Slash or Duff. Remember, before you blame Axl for all the costs, alot of recording costs were incurred from 94-97 when Slash and Duff were involved. However, by 98 they had left and Axl carried on shouldering the burden of being responsible for the recording costs.

"Since 1992, the parties have executed various amendments to the Recording Agreement, including most notably, two amendments dated as of May 1, 1998. One of these amendments, see Froeling Decl. Ex. D, confirmed Slash's and Duff's departure from the band and their status as ?Leaving Members? under the 1992 Recording Agreement, thereby relieving them of charges against their royalty accounts for the enormous recording costs and other expenses being incurred by Axl Rose (the only ?Remaining Member?[FN1] of Guns N' Roses) in connection with the recording of the new Guns N' Roses studio album."

that is straight from the the GH lawsuit document from awhile back....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:53:24 PM by madagas » Logged
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »

I'm not blaming Axl, I'm blaming a record label for giving Axl any trouble at all, and for things like putting out a greatest hits record he and the former members did not want-if the record is 10 mil over budget or whatever, so what-I know I'm not living in the real world, after selling 80 million records, stadium tours, merchanside, ect., some of the things that have gone down sucks

libertad
madagas
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »

The original band definitely deserved a better compilation than that-no doubt. But, it has been successful.  peace  The downside is that by releasing a premature GH, you dilute the sales of the rest of your catalog. In other words, instead of buying AFD or UYI, the casual fan just gets the GH. Unfortunately, the tracklisting for that GH sucks so some fans don't get to see how great Gnr actually was. The original catalog was still selling well so in my opinion, the label released the GH too early. They also created bad blood between them and their artist. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:02:04 PM by madagas » Logged
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »

The greatest hits done properly by the band I think would have been great-it probably did add to the bad blood, of course-I would have loved Axl's promotion on it, or maybe liner notes he could have provided-instead they just put out an album with the hits-I'm 36-a lot of people on this board may be too young to remember the late 80's or early 90's to see how huge Guns were-Axl had a natural charisma and just something about him that you could feel in the air at the time-I remember MTV would have a whole Guns n Roses weekend, or a Guns/Metallica weekend-Motley Crue were just as big in the late 80's-I hated the way Motley was treated by a lot of the media in the 90's-I'm getting off topic here-but at this point if they are haggling with Axl over marketing, they truly have no clue-Guns had great music, but it was just everything about them, and you didn't have to market it, it was just there-if I worked at that label, I would pretty much let Axl do what he wants-he already did it once

libertad
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »

I don't get it ? if GH is selling like hot cakes then why don't they just release Chinese Democracy !!!!  I would love to be a fly on the wall in geffen headquarters.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:48 PM »

I don't get it ? if GH is selling like hot cakes then why don't they just release Chinese Democracy !!!!  I would love to be a fly on the wall in geffen headquarters.

You'd have plenty of company as a fly, I'm sure there are plenty of flies there...flies love bullshit.   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »

STOP PRESS! OLD GNR ALBUMS STILL MAKE MONEY! Jesus.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »

I believe Jarmo was just pointing out that GNR still has great selling power despite little to no promotion of the Greatest Hits. They've managed to stay week to week on the Top Charts and I think it's great that we're not the only people out there still in love with the band. If/when CD hits mainstream, I believe it'll sell greatly.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »

I believe Jarmo was just pointing out that GNR still has great selling power despite little to no promotion of the Greatest Hits. They've managed to stay week to week on the Top Charts and I think it's great that we're not the only people out there still in love with the band. If/when CD hits mainstream, I believe it'll sell greatly.

yeah i know, its just so frustrating for people to go round in circles about the finances. I mean, who didnt realise long ago that of course they still make money on old stuff, and that thtat compensates the label for money spent on CD? Its just so old, and no one has a clue about CD figures anyway, apart from the apocryphal 13 mil.

In fact, im agreeing with jarmo really - you dont sell 80 nillion without making some money. And that applies to the label more than to the band, really.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:21:05 PM by Bartlet » Logged

I would'nt do that if I were you.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »

I'm feeling positive tonight that the forthcoming cd will be a top priority for the label after the restructuring has completed.  It would be interesting to know if GN'R have hired a new management team, if so who they are and what role they might be playing in working things out with the label.  Lets just hope that the voices of reason prevail.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:36 PM »

People aren't in love with this version of Guns , I hate to be the asshole , but people are still in love with Guns a la Axl and Slash. Everyone I have met , outside of this board,  either thinks Axl is an idiot and new GNR is a sad excuse for a band or want the old line up back ( sometimes both ). The masses don't look at this GNR as GNR , to a lot a lot of people it is  still ( and always will be ) Axl and Slash....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:14:09 PM by Feel_The_Burn » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »

People aren't in love with this version of Guns , I hate to be the asshole , but people are still in love with Guns a la Axl and Slash. Everyone I have met , outside of this board,  either thinks Axl is an idiot and new GNR is a sad excuse for a band or Wants the old line up back. The masses don't look at this GNR as GNR , to a lot a lot of people it is still Axl and Slash.....

thats a load of bullshit.   most of the people who would say such garbage probably haven't even seen the band the way it is today and don't have enough knowledge to make a real judgement.     

Besides, Guns is Guns.   Its still Guns N' Roses and Axl, and the name Guns N' Roses do have a lot of love.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »

People aren't in love with this version of Guns , I hate to be the asshole , but people are still in love with Guns a la Axl and Slash. Everyone I have met , outside of this board,  either thinks Axl is an idiot and new GNR is a sad excuse for a band or Wants the old line up back. The masses don't look at this GNR as GNR , to a lot a lot of people it is still Axl and Slash.....

Yeah I think after touring in 06 and 07 that the majority of fans knew that it was the new band when they where going to the concert.  Now its time for Geffen to put the stamp on it and release the forthcoming album so we can put the past members to rest.... with all due respect I don't see Axl on Tv asking fans to make video's for them.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »

thats a load of bullshit.   most of the people who would say such garbage probably haven't even seen the band the way it is today and don't have enough knowledge to make a real judgement.     

Besides, Guns is Guns.   Its still Guns N' Roses and Axl, and the name Guns N' Roses do have a lot of love.

Whats a load of bullshit , their opinion or that I said a lot of people think that? I agree most people who talk shit haven't seen the band and don't fully know GNR ( considering they think its Axl and Slash lol ) but thats what a lot of people think.

Guns Isn't Guns to lots of people , I'm not trying to be the douche but I haven't meant many people who think that outside this board.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: