Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:29:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Finish CD?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Finish CD?  (Read 91985 times)
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »

I wonder if Axl selling publishing to Sanctuary has any impact on any of this stuff?

It all depends on the contract a band signs.  Generally an artist will enter a recording contract with a label, meaning the label owns the recordings but not the songs.  The publishing rights are then owned by the artist, unless such artist decides to sell the publishing rights.  Best example I can give is if the song Welcome to the Jungle from AFD was used in a commercial, both Geffen and Sanctuary (and anyone else that owns publishing rights) is paid.  But if Axl were to re-record WTTJ and sell that version, Geffen would be cut out of the loop.

So to answer your theoretical question, perhaps Geffen/Interscope wants to tie in publishing rights but Axl has already sold them off to Sanctuary. 

Again, who knows.  Can't wait for the dust to settle.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »

what do we actually KNOW, coz im getting a little confused about facts and rumour? do we know any real figures on the cost of the album? Do we know for sure that the label withdrew funding? Do we know when...?

I would'nt do that if I were you.
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »

well...we actually know it's a game of hardball, and it's the record company's move now....mmmmmkay?
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48:43 AM »

what do we actually KNOW, coz im getting a little confused about facts and rumour? do we know any real figures on the cost of the album? Do we know for sure that the label withdrew funding? Do we know when...?

According to Axl "the album has a tentative release date of march 2007" This is the ONLY fact he has ever said
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2008, 10:52:40 AM »

Cheers. So we know nothing...? I do personally buy the story that its been handed in tho, as Fortus said so, and theres no other way of interpreting that. Unless the story was a lie, then all bets are off, of course.

Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »

I think that Geffen put that (about) 13 million dollars to recording sessions and Axl paid 2006 and 2007 recordings himself OR something like that. Nobody knows anything official ? I thought that label pulled the plug in 2004, around the release of Greatest Hits and after that almost nothing happened until Bumblefoot came along.

Sebastian Bach has said several times few months ago that there are 3-4 albums worth of material, so Chinese Democracy alone hasn't cost that now legendary 13 mil. And someone already posted that for example Madonna's one album can cost 8 million dollars so Axl isn't quite so extravagant as most seem to think.

I take Geffens 2004 comments and Bachs last years talks with grain of salt BUT like to think that 90 % is true  Wink

I also believe that one album is truly mixed & mastered, Del James told us almost an year ago that recordings are done.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »

I think that Geffen put that (about) 13 million dollars to recording sessions and Axl paid 2006 and 2007 recordings himself OR something like that. Nobody knows anything official ? I thought that label pulled the plug in 2004, around the release of Greatest Hits and after that almost nothing happened until Bumblefoot came along.

Sebastian Bach has said several times few months ago that there are 3-4 albums worth of material, so Chinese Democracy alone hasn't cost that now legendary 13 mil. And someone already posted that for example Madonna's one album can cost 8 million dollars so Axl isn't quite so extravagant as most seem to think.

I take Geffens 2004 comments and Bachs last years talks with grain of salt BUT like to think that 90 % is true  Wink

I also believe that one album is truly mixed & mastered, Del James told us almost an year ago that recordings are done.

what were geffens 2004 comments?

Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2008, 11:37:44 AM »

I'm skating on very thin ice here: just a fading memory that Geffen announced that recording sessions of Chinese Democracy have already cost 13 million dollars and yet nothing has delivered so they are withdrawing their money.

I really can't remember if this was official or Blabbermouth speaking.
axlnyc
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »

http://eddietrunk.com/blogarticle.php?columns_id=1030
We need someone or something to act as a savior now.
Maybe something new and unique will happen, like a quick resolution to this current obstacle.

81688-NJ
61791-LI, NY
120991-MSG
121391-MSG
71892-NJ
72992-NJ
30693-CT
120502-MSG
51206-NYC
51506-NYC
51706-NYC
110506-NJ
111006-MSG
111711-NJ
111911-CT
112611-NJ
2/10/12-NYC
2/12/12-
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »

http://eddietrunk.com/blogarticle.php?columns_id=1030
We need someone or something to act as a savior now.
Maybe something new and unique will happen, like a quick resolution to this current obstacle.

This part, if true, might be troubling...

There is so much money tied up in this record that in todays business it will be virtually impossible to be profitable, meaning the label might want to sell it off but can not find a buyer since nobody buys CDs anymore.

OK, so who wants to start a fund to buy Geffen's rights to CD? 
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »

axlnyc - is the podcast mentioned there the one everyone has heard a while ago...?

I dunno the figures, but CD sales still out flank downloads dont they...?

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »

I'm skating on very thin ice here: just a fading memory that Geffen announced that recording sessions of Chinese Democracy have already cost 13 million dollars and yet nothing has delivered so they are withdrawing their money.

I really can't remember if this was official or Blabbermouth speaking.

it was from the Ny times.
According to the article the label alleged that they had stopped founding the album in Feb, 2004, after having invested about $13 million.

If true the label can't have spent anymore on the album. If that's the case, shouldn't the rights to the recordings done after 2004 be reserved by the bands not by the label?

I don't have a clue about where the 15 ~20 million allegation comes from. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:04:56 PM by ppbebe » Logged
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »

According to Axl "the album has a tentative release date of march 2007" This is the ONLY fact he has ever said

Not true Axl has made many statements as to when the album will be out.  The only time he has mentioned a specific (albiet tentantive) release date is when he said it will be out in March 2007.

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »

yeah many.  like 'soon is not the word' 'don't hold your breath'.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

Not true Axl has made many statements as to when the album will be out.  The only time he has mentioned a specific (albiet tentantive) release date is when he said it will be out in March 2007.

He's made vague statements in the past.  Let's be honest, it was fall or late fall, spring, summer, etc.  They certainly weren't specific or promises.

Ali
Tank
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »

This rumor made it on the music news section of my local radio station today.  Kinda unexpected as I live in the middle of nowhere Minnesota.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »

But figure that the record company, after production, distribution, advertising and whatnot grosses $1 per copy of CD that is sold, that means, they only have to sell 13 million copies of it to make it profitable.

Oh, that's bad ...

Personally, I don't know if I buy the $13 million production costs? I mean, on what? Where they paying Axl and the band by the hour to record? I know different producers were brought in, but not $13 million worth? Is the cost of recording media that expensive? Album advance money? Cheetos? Peppered turkey? Whiskey? I just don't get how that much could have been spent on it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:39:49 PM by slashsbaconpit » Logged

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »

Whatever the issue is I hope that it can be overcome very soon. Or at least our Mysteronous guardian angel pays us a visit. Regardless of financial issues that need to be overcome, I'm sure Chinese Democracy will set the internet and the music industry ablaze once it's release date is announced and promotion begins.

The jaded speak of a failure to capitalize on the momentum in 2006, but it can be easily regained. The band is inspiring and that's that. Eventhough the wait is sometimes arduous, Chinese Democracy will be worth it and you should keep the faith.

peace

MisterBrownstone
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »

Why worry about it?  I mean, won't we have news that will tell us all of this?  I just think it's better to just continue to support the band and the perks and things we get are enough to make up for the silence.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »

people focus on the album too much.   i say jus sit back and let it happen.  no need to over analyze anything or try to think of this as if we are music professionals.    it'll happen when the time comes.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: