Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 06:01:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Finish CD?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Finish CD?  (Read 85338 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »

There are 50 Tuesdays left in 2008.

I have a feeling we'll have our album on one of them Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:34:59 AM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
EstrangedBrazil
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »

Yeah, but i still find that that only changed the delivery... Put a now GNR video on YouTube and check out how many hits there would be... Of course the delivery affects the marketing operations a bit, i suppose i wasnt that clear about this, but i think its still the same formula...

I bet it would get hits, but would the people who buy the cds see it there?

/jarmo

Yup! but i think its a bit like watching the video on MTV and not buying the cd, it would happen a lot! YouTube just has a lot more viewers cuz its worldwide, i suppose the ratio of people who'd watch MTV and buy a CD cuz of it is bigger than YouTube's, but still, since the volume is a lot bigger i think youtube would succesfully fill the MTV gap!

But anyway, its all speculation until we see what actually happens! Smiley
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »

the best way to market a cd nowadays is out of a label company. with radiohead, prince, madonna and NIN, among others, getting away from record labels i don't see why axl would wan't to be tied to one to promote his cd...

perhaps it's because he can't just get away from them at this point after all they invested on the damn cd... so i say just tour and put it out on itunes... the name guns n roses sells by itself... that's why shitty ass greatest hits still sell a billion today.
I agree and maybe that's why the whole NIN picture created a stir here.? They (Trent) got away from the label and released new stuff like radiohead and did so with success.? GnR is unable to do so, probably over money and the way promo should be done.? The label knows that GNR is bigger than NIN and Radiohead together so they want that money.? That could be why the Chinese Democracy cover sign was up, because GnR is stuck inside with the label while NIN isn't.? That's what I got from the picture.? I'm also of the belief that the CD that will be released may have different songs then what GnR has been playing live and songs that have leaked.? That could be another reason why so many studio changes were made?? Not just to remove ex-members work but to add new songs and replace ex-members work?? Pay the ex-members for their time not royalties.? I also noticed that Brain was not listed as in the band on the GNR my space.? The drummer is Frank as listed.? I may be wrong on all the this but we'll see.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
suicide
VIP

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »

Yeah, but i still find that that only changed the delivery... Put a now GNR video on YouTube and check out how many hits there would be... Of course the delivery affects the marketing operations a bit, i suppose i wasnt that clear about this, but i think its still the same formula...

/jarmo

Yup! but i think its a bit like watching the video on MTV and not buying the cd, it would happen a lot! YouTube just has a lot more viewers cuz its worldwide, i suppose the ratio of people who'd watch MTV and buy a CD cuz of it is bigger than YouTube's, but still, since the volume is a lot bigger i think youtube would succesfully fill the MTV gap!

True, and people share the interesting videos they find on youtube by sending the links to their friends or by posting the links on a board or blog.
MTV should loose it's "M", they only show shit these days (well, for the last 10 years or so).
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »

YouTube does reach a large audience, as well as Myspace Video. If I was GNR and thinking about promotion, one thing I would hit up would be MySpace and Facebook.
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »

/jarmo

back when video's had any influence on people buying the CD's, downloading wasn't as popular as it is now (or it wasn't even really around back then)...you either had the choice of buying a single (the ones with the remixes and b-sides on them for 5 bucks), buy the CD, or wait and hope that you see it on tv or hear it on the radio.

The flipside to the entire youtube thing is that it probably isn't going to make people buy the record. because why buy the record in the store, if you're already on the computer anyway (watching the video) and you can own the record with just one push of a button...not even to mention that it's for free if you do it illegaly.

Recordcompanies have to find a solution that would make people want to buy that CD rather than downloading it, but what would want to make people buy that amount of money on a CD in this day and age? also wouldn't it be possible to prevent people from ripping the CD, like a blockage or something? I know that they do that with DVD's every now and then.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »

MTV should loose it's "M", they only show shit these days (well, for the last 10 years or so).

STV? hihi

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7180448.stm

With all the hype and controversy over the Radiohead In Rainbows, it seems to have worked.? BBC reports the CD release has topped the US Billboard.? Food for thought maybe.....? yes

But by reading what the article is saying, it could be argued that the digital release is hurting the CD's sales. 
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7180448.stm

With all the hype and controversy over the Radiohead In Rainbows, it seems to have worked.  BBC reports the CD release has topped the US Billboard.  Food for thought maybe.....  yes

But by reading what the article is saying, it could be argued that the digital release is hurting the CD's sales. 

Without a doubt, digital distribution of In Rainbows hurt physical sales.  But when you consider that 100% (or close to it) of the money taken in from digital sales went directly to the band (as opposed to 5-15% per cd), I think the band made out pretty well.  Ultimately, bands like Radiohead and Guns N' Roses can bank on their names to drive cd sales.  It's about getting your music to as many people possible.  If you've made it, you no longer are dependent on record labels for reaching mass audiences.  Smaller, up and coming bands, however, still need the distribution and marketing machines that labels provide. 

That's why I think the delay has little to do with promotion and much more to do with money.  It would be safe to assume that the label would be willing to spend the same amount of money promoting Chinese Democracy as they would with any other big ticket artist.  What's more likely is negotiations are still ongoing as to who gets what from the revenue pie. 

Even if there isn't any bickering going on and the delay is 'caused by a strategic release, everything has to do with money.  I would be interested to know when Geffen/Interscope/Universal's 4th quarter ends.  Much like the rumors around the video game Grand Theft Auto 4, we'll see if Chinese Democracy is used to prop up revenues for the year by releasing it close to the label's 4th quarter.

Once the lawyers and accountants finally get things settled and out of the way, that's the day we'll finally hear something.

Cheers,

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:59:43 PM by downzy56 » Logged

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »

We just have to hope that Axl and the label can compromise, give concessions, giving the fans what they want.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Chief
Legend

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »

Can you tell us more about this Black Frog label?
where did you find out about this?

Im surprised that Axl never got his own label and could just release it ?

Axl does/did have his own label... Uzi Suicide...
 ok
false
his label it's called Black Frog, Slash and Duff owns Uzisuicide

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »

I think that some have you have lost your marbles.

So NIN, Radiohead, Madonna, Prince, etc., have adapted to digital downloading. Cool dude. That doesn't really mean shit. The only "good" album of any of those was In Rainbows and the others were given away. Whether you like it or not, it's not the bands best and NIN is in many ways a niche band. They didn't help move units or make more sales, it was getting the album to people. Albums that weren't really that good.

I think that it's important to have very substantial marketing, especially viral marketing, but GNR doesn't need a crazy NIN-esque ad campaign or a Radiohead "pay-what-you-want" system. Here's a couple of quick, simple ideas.

• Have an official band forum and newsletter to allow communication about the new record
  • Offer the first single to be available free to download
  • MySpace.com Skin on main page and Ads for Secret Shows
  • An affiliate program with commonly visited websites
  • Special behind-the-scenes look at Guns N' Roses

The two issues facing GNR (and music as a whole) are the apathy of actually purchasing the CD/a song and the over-exposure of audio and video on the internet. Whether you believe it or not it's vastly changed our perception of all media and made us more jaded and cynical to the over-the-top. Everything is very ironic now adays.

By having an official forum, newsletters, and behind-the-scenes and early ticket sales type stuff for premium members (think Rolling Stone's website) you have people regularly communicating about your band and generates a feeling of esprit de corps. I for one am going to buy a couple of copies of Chinese and hand them out to strangers just to generate word. Some people won't do that, fair enough. But all the ideas above not only is good advertising and creates positive word of mouth, but it meets the needs of the fanbase. The letter in 2006 by Axl and the View from the Side of the Stage or whatever it was called from Del James are two great examples of that. The band effectively communicating with the hardcores. We all felt good about that (for the most part).

It's not really that difficult once whatever financial problems are overcome. Oh and I'm free for hire.  smoking
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:18:17 PM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »

It is the promotion negotiations pure and simple....word!
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

So NIN, Radiohead, Madonna, Prince, etc., have adapted to digital downloading. Cool dude. That doesn't really mean shit. The only "good" album of any of those was In Rainbows and the others were given away. Whether you like it or not, it's not the bands best and NIN is in many ways a niche band. They didn't help move units or make more sales, it was getting the album to people. Albums that weren't really that good.

I think that it's important to have very substantial marketing, especially viral marketing, but GNR doesn't need a crazy NIN-esque ad campaign or a Radiohead "pay-what-you-want" system. Here's a couple of quick, simple ideas.

• Have an official band forum and newsletter to allow communication about the new record

The two issues facing GNR (and music as a whole) are the apathy of actually purchasing the CD/a song and the over-exposure of audio and video on the internet. Whether you believe it or not it's vastly changed our perception of all media and made us more jaded and cynical to the over-the-top. Everything is very ironic now adays.

By having an official forum, newsletters, and behind-the-scenes and early ticket sales type stuff for premium members (think Rolling Stone's website) you have people regularly communicating about your band and generates a feeling of esprit de corps. I for one am going to buy a couple of copies of Chinese and hand them out to strangers just to generate word. Some people won't do that, fair enough. But all the ideas above not only is good advertising and creates positive word of mouth, but it meets the needs of the fanbase. The letter in 2006 by Axl and the View from the Side of the Stage or whatever it was called from Del James are two great examples of that. The band effectively communicating with the hardcores. We all felt good about that (for the most part).

It's not really that difficult once whatever financial problems are overcome. Oh and I'm free for hire.? smoking

Nice Opinions but some people do things "differently"-and nothing comes for free beer
makane
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »

It's not really that difficult once whatever financial problems are overcome. Oh and I'm free for hire.? smoking

Sorry, but which NIN album was "given away"?

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

it's some kind of publishing company
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »

Im surprised that Axl never got his own label and could just release it ?

Axl does/did have his own label... Uzi Suicide...
 ok
false
his label it's called Black Frog, Slash and Duff owns Uzisuicide

Isn't black frog the label that axl set up at the time he bought out the former band members? 
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2008, 03:15:42 PM »

Viral marketing is all about giving something away. And I wasn't referring to the NIN album being free. I was referring to Prince and Radiohead.

And I wasn't suggesting my ideas were the best or whatever, but they cover the basics of viral marketing so basically stating a general idea. Also I was pointing out a huge campaign like NIN's as a lot of those people were already going to buy the album anyway.

And I think that Black Frog is Axl's publishing company and has all of the GNR assets, as Uzi Suicide is no longer active.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:18:26 PM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

Can find some of the info about it here peace
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=22306.0

I knew there be a lot of rumors in 2008 now hihi
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:42:07 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
olschoolboro
Headliner

Guns N' Fuckin Roses baby

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

I don't think there will every be another official forum again.  I can remember years ago on gnronline.com the official forum.  It didn't last very long as I recall because of all the rumors and bullshit that people spread (Imagine that).  It's too much trouble and I think Axl himself would completely object the idea.

WTF?
10.31.06 Jacksonville, FL
10.28.11 Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: