Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Finish CD?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Finish CD?  (Read 91920 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »

http://eddietrunk.com/blogarticle.php?columns_id=1030
We need someone or something to act as a savior now.
Maybe something new and unique will happen, like a quick resolution to this current obstacle.

I hear the new G&R CD is actually done, but the delay in release is not the bands issues but the label. There is so much money tied up in this record that in todays business it will be virtually impossible to be profitable, meaning the label might want to sell it off but can not find a buyer since nobody buys CDs anymore. Problem might not be Axl this time around and might keep this CD in limbo for more years to come. Hopefully it gets resolved.

I still buy CDs! So do lots of people....
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »

people focus on the album too much.   i say jus sit back and let it happen.  no need to over analyze anything or try to think of this as if we are music professionals.    it'll happen when the time comes.

Yeah you're right, but it's human nature to try to articulate what and why. Good or bad, people have a lot invested emotionally and would like to see the album come out. Whether that is for selfish gain or because they want to see Axl and the band succeed. For some it can be a bad obsession, always messin my mind. Tongue
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »

Maybe something new and unique will happen, like a quick resolution to this current obstacle.

I hear the new G&R CD is actually done, but the delay in release is not the bands issues but the label. There is so much money tied up in this record that in todays business it will be virtually impossible to be profitable, meaning the label might want to sell it off but can not find a buyer since nobody buys CDs anymore. Problem might not be Axl this time around and might keep this CD in limbo for more years to come. Hopefully it gets resolved.

i agree. i dont think declining cd sales are that much of an issue just yet. i bet they still outsell downloads.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2008, 08:46:03 PM »

i agree. i dont think declining cd sales are that much of an issue just yet. i bet they still outsell downloads.

Some people buy CDs, but declining CD sales are most certainly a huge issue for the music industry:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/01/14/record-executives-literally-cannot-give-cds-away/

Ali
eggers
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »

Someone should just leak it and be done with it, almost seems liek its the only way we will ever hear it.

Also, where does the $13 Million number come form? I can't see how it could cost near that. $3M MAYBE but not 13, studios and musicians cost a lot but not that much.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »

Someone should just leak it and be done with it, almost seems liek its the only way we will ever hear it.

Also, where does the $13 Million number come form? I can't see how it could cost near that. $3M MAYBE but not 13, studios and musicians cost a lot but not that much.

According to a Rolling Stone article from 2000, the label was rumored to have given an advance of around $10 million although that included when Slash, Duff and Sorum were still in the band.  This is huge but not unprecedented.  A couple of examples in this thread have been posted already, but to repeat, Mariah Carey had a deal with Virgin paying her $20 million per album.  Robbie Williams has a similar contract with EMI.  Madonna's advances have been into 8 figures for well over a decade.  Michael Jackson's last album cost more than $30 million just in production fees.  Is it necessary?  That's another story altogether but considering they've been in the studio on and off for the past 9-10 years and have recorded who knows how many albums worth of material including stuff that will never be released, it's not that surprising.  Studio time, producers, techs, engineers, etc are very expensive when you're doing everything top of the line like GnR
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2008, 11:52:24 PM »

he wants marketing - i have some ideas.

Rock of Love 3 - Starring Axl

or

Making the Band 5 - Axl searches for a new Tracy and Roberta

or

a Cloverfield type of guerrilla marketing - an internet based game where you unlock the secrets to hear Chinese Democracy...

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:22 AM »

Making the Band 5 - Axl searches for a new Tracy and Roberta

Haha. I miss Tracey and Roberta. Make it a 10-piece Axl!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »

Well lets all hope CD comes out soon can't believe its almost been two years since Hammerstein shows.   Funny Axl hasn't been out in the public eye or there is no more new photo's I think everyone in the GnR camp is working hard to get this CD out.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2008, 04:06:22 AM »

Apparently this is a somewhat describing breakdown of where the money goes from a new album with a list price of $15.99:

- $0.17 Musicians? unions
- $0.80 Packaging/manufacturing
- $0.82 Publishing royalties
- $0.80 Retail profit
- $0.90 Distribution
- $1.60 Artists? royalties
- $1.70 Label profit
- $2.40 Marketing/promotion
- $2.91 Label overhead
- $3.89 Retail overhead

Now we know most albums don't retail for that much so some cuts need to be made....

/jarmo

Is this what this whole GN'R saga has come to? Long essays about the inner workings and future of the music business, marketing strategies, break even points, ROI calculations etc etc?

Its nothing against you guys and girls, but its so sad that we can't come to this forum to read and talk more about what the bands up to - the music, artwork, tours, singles, videos band members.  I sincerely hope in the next few months there is a change in events otherwise I fear will be discussing Geffens liquidation and Axl's pension plan.  Sad

Here today...ready to rock
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2008, 04:38:44 AM »

Could the writer's strike be holding up CD?

I wonder if Music Videos have anything to do with the strike?

He needs to get a song on a kick ass summer movie like the new Batman or something.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

Could the writer's strike be holding up CD?

I wonder if Music Videos have anything to do with the strike?

He needs to get a song on a kick ass summer movie like the new Batman or something.

I think thats riddiculous ,
I dont think the writers going on strike,
would have any effect on the writing of a music video,
I mean, worse comes to worse, just show some live footage, with some love story being acted out based on the song Better,

easy as that,

and I agree with

Apparently this is a somewhat describing breakdown of where the money goes from a new album with a list price of $15.99:

- $0.80 Retail profit
- $0.90 Distribution
- $1.70 Label profit
- $2.91 Label overhead
- $3.89 Retail overhead

Now we know most albums don't retail for that much so some cuts need to be made....

/jarmo

Is this what this whole GN'R saga has come to? Long essays about the inner workings and future of the music business, marketing strategies, break even points, ROI calculations etc etc?

Its nothing against you guys and girls, but its so sad that we can't come to this forum to read and talk more about what the bands up to - the music, artwork, tours, singles, videos band members.  I sincerely hope in the next few months there is a change in events otherwise I fear will be discussing Geffens liquidation and Axl's pension plan.  Sad

You are absolutely right! Great post! Fuck all this nonsens and give us the music we want!!

We are here just to talk about music,
not the inner fundamental workings of a record company,
I want to talk about my favourtie band/cd, Not the financial breakdown of how a Cd's profit is distributed,
and considering that some Cds etc are sold at different prices / dual cases etc,
I think that "breakdown" as Jarmo described would change per cd...
so its not really accurate, considering CHinse dEmocracy might be 2 cds (we never know)

If I want to learn business and how to meet profit margins, Ill read my colleege textbooks  hihi

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:41:31 AM by gunns1 » Logged

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2008, 07:11:03 AM »

- $0.80 Retail profit
- $0.90 Distribution
- $1.70 Label profit
- $2.91 Label overhead
- $3.89 Retail overhead

/jarmo

It seems I may not agree with your comments as my post was deleted....  Huh   Roll Eyes

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »

- $0.80 Retail profit
- $0.90 Distribution
- $1.70 Label profit
- $2.91 Label overhead
- $3.89 Retail overhead

/jarmo

It seems I may not agree with your comments as my post was deleted....  Huh   Roll Eyes

No harm in disagreeing my friend.

Here today...ready to rock
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2008, 12:36:54 PM »

From SoHood Magazine regarding the Eddie Trunk blog...

Geffen holding back Guns N? Roses Chinese Democracy CD

Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Eddie Trunk host of  ?Friday Night Rocks" in NYC on Q104.3 (NYC, NJ, LI, CT) has updated his blog on Guns N? Roses, about the now infamous Chinese Democracy album. Eddie Trunk has posted the following on his blog:

"I hear the new G&R CD is actually done, but the delay in release is not the bands issues but the label. There is so much money tied up in this record that in today?s business it will be virtually impossible to be profitable, meaning the label might want to sell it off but can not find a buyer since nobody buys CDs anymore. Problem might not be Axl (rose) this time around and might keep this CD in limbo for more years to come. Hopefully it gets resolved."

I?ve heard rumors that maybe the album was finished, and it was actually handed-in, I guess it could be true. I do find it believable that Geffen or Interscope is the one holding back the album. There have been artists on that label whom have had their albums pushed back and delayed for odd reasons. Resulting in many artists leaving the label, so this is nothing new.

Geffen Records or a representative were not immediately available to comment on the report.

http://www.sohood.com/1/content/view/3274/41/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »

Nothin'new
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »

A couple of examples in this thread have been posted already, but to repeat, Mariah Carey had a deal with Virgin paying her $20 million per album.  Robbie Williams has a similar contract with EMI.  Madonna's advances have been into 8 figures for well over a decade.  Michael Jackson's last album cost more than $30 million just in production fees. 

What would those quality papers call these albums? cd is not the most expensive record after all.
isn't the Inflation aggravating?

related articles
"EMI plans to tighten support and make cuts to tune of 2,000 jobs"
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article3182127.ece

geffen/interscope is also reported to have done a lay off just before christmas.

There have been artists on that label whom have had their albums pushed back and delayed for odd reasons. Resulting in many artists leaving the label, so this is nothing new.

The Industry seems to be in a mess.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »

- $0.80 Retail profit
- $0.90 Distribution
- $1.70 Label profit
- $2.91 Label overhead
- $3.89 Retail overhead

/jarmo

If the band were up to something right now, then we may have something else to talk about.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »

It was also well documented that there was a large studio booked around the clock with a recording engineer on call and ready to record at all times. I don't think Axl showed up that often during this rather expensive process.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

The Industry seems to be in a mess.
A revolution in music distribution, who will surrive? Tongue

The industry will be a little diferent in few years time, lets hope it doesn't take that long for CD to be released hihi

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: